• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion and hair

Erebus

What does your religion say about hair, if it says anything at all?
Why must hair be discussed and even in some cases, restricted?

How important is it to your religion, and to you personally?

Nothing specific about hair, but aesthetics are considered useful in my "religion" (More so in the Satanic elements than the Demonolatry elements though). So I would say your hair should be styled so that it suits you or makes you somehow distinctive rather than any specific requirement as to length/style etc.

Alláh'u'Abhá! :)

"The choice of clothing and the cut of the beard and its dressing are left to the discretion of men. But beware, O people, lest ye make yourselves the playthings of the ignorant."

-- Bishárát

"Shave not your heads; God hath adorned them with hair, and in this there are signs from the Lord of creation to those who reflect upon the requirements of nature. He, verily, is the God of strength and wisdom. Notwithstanding, it is not seemly to let the hair pass beyond the limit of the ears. Thus hath it been decreed by Him Who is the Lord of all worlds."

-- Aqdas, 44

"The Lord hath relieved you, as a bounty on His part, of the restrictions that formerly applied to clothing and to the trim of the beard. He, verily, is the Ordainer, the Omniscient. Let there be naught in your demeanour of which sound and upright minds would disapprove, and make not yourselves the playthings of the ignorant."

-- Aqdas, 159

According to the Haifan idea of the Bahá'í Faith, many of the laws found in the Aqdas are not in effect yet until a considerable amount of the world become Bahá'í. And other Bahá'ís may have a more metaphorical or alternative interpretation of the laws in the Aqdas.

Bahá'u'lláh Himself in His blessed Countenance, had the most beautiful locks of hair. And God's Hair and Locks are mentioned in the Scriptures...

"O SON OF DESIRE! How long wilt thou soar in the realms of desire? Wings have I bestowed upon thee, that thou mayest fly to the realms of mystic holiness and not the regions of satanic fancy. The comb, too, have I given thee that thou mayest dress My raven locks, and not lacerate My throat."

-- Hidden Word II:79

Last edited by a moderator:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm with you Odion. Regardless of my religion, I'd never cut my hair. I've had it this long for years, and it has become a part of me. Cutting it off is like removing an arm. I just won't do it!
Given the Buddhist perspective on attachment, this may be why monks' heads are shaved.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Seems to me that, religions that are able to control One's own personal appearance has complete dominion over their Life.

I view it as nothing more than a "programming" or "brainwashing".

For those who are physically manipulated in a concrete manner by an abstract and metaphysical deviation are nothing more than human.

We are all in the same boat :D

simonremi

African Spiritualist
Because hair is dead it is a connection to the spiritual world. It also provides spiritual protection. This is why hair my be shaved during many initiations (e.g. some Vodou, Santeria), to allow the Lwa or Orisha in with greater ease. Hair is also related to astral experience and astral travel. Many people report being picked up by their hair. In the Bible it talks about an angel picking Daniel up by his hair and transporting him as well. Hair is therefore something of a spiritual connection and gateway.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Because hair is dead it is a connection to the spiritual world. It also provides spiritual protection. This is why hair my be shaved during many initiations (e.g. some Vodou, Santeria), to allow the Lwa or Orisha in with greater ease. Hair is also related to astral experience and astral travel. Many people report being picked up by their hair. In the Bible it talks about an angel picking Daniel up by his hair and transporting him as well. Hair is therefore something of a spiritual connection and gateway.
:clap

Yes my long hair is good for spiritual head banging :D

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Hair is one of the most visible ways of flouting societal norms. It's hard to keep people who display such "anti-social" tendencies in line.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hair is one of the most noticeable and customizable aspects of our bodies. If there are parts of the body that religion would govern, hair would likely be at the top of the list.

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak
In magick, you can use your hair in spells and charms and it will be more powerful, since it is a part of you. Some spells require you to thread a piece of your hair into whatever it is you are doing, so that the effects will come back to you stronger.

In some traditions, it is said that a witch's power is in her hair and that cutting it off will weaken her. This is not entirely true, as we store most of our power in our bodies and in the ground, sometimes in objects as well.

I have insanely long hair. It reaches down a little past the midpoint on my back. And God help the person who touches my hair with scissors without my permission.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have insanely long hair. It reaches down a little past the midpoint on my back. And God help the person who touches my hair with scissors without my permission.
I know someone at work that has hair that goes almost down to her ankles. She has you beat. :)

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak
she's probably older than I am too. But idk if I want it any longer than 3/4ths down my back, cuz I dont want my hair in the toilet.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
she's probably older than I am too. But idk if I want it any longer than 3/4ths down my back, cuz I dont want my hair in the toilet.
heh

I'm not sure how old you are. She's in her mid-late 20's.

I wouldn't want hair as long as hers. I am impressed, though, at the health and beauty of her hair. It's quite a feat, and the longest I've seen in person. It's one of those things where I don't think it looks that great, and would look better if it was shorter, but it's just really impressive and shows off the health and strength of her hair.

Vintermunder

Gardnerian, Wycroft line
Wicca does not have a predefined hair style, that being said I have never met a Wiccan male that didn't either have long hair or a goatee. I trying to be an individual grew a van dyke ;)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In my particular case hair is really a non issue and remains entirely up to the individual. Personally, I grew to like short cropped hair stemming from my excessive balding which had rapidly started in my late twenties. I became depressed about my appearance and went through many hairpieces until one day it hit home that I had became more paranoid with it than without. My religion in retrospect has become notably easier in light that a short cropped (almost a buzz cut) pretty much takes my personal issues over appearance out of the equation and has, as a consequence, become less of a distraction and find that I'm not as concerned about it as much as I was in the past.