• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reincarnation - Scripture or imagination?

Xchristian

Once again......

"Now this is the witness of John when the Jews sent forth priests and Levites from Jerusalem to him to ask him: “Who are you?” And he confessed and did not deny, but confessed: “I am not the Christ.” And they asked him: “What, then? Are you E‧li′jah?” And he said: “I am not.” “Are you The Prophet?” And he answered: “No!” Therefore they said to him: “Who are you? that we may give an answer to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?” He said: “I am a voice of someone crying out in the wilderness, ‘MAKE the way of Jehovah straight,’ just as Isaiah the prophet said.”

I already am very aware of this, and I pointed to it.
You only manage to make what jesus said is not true.

Please sister
I don't treat that book as 'truth' or 'inspiration'
For me it's a collection of sources put together by the Catholic church.

I have no problem is jesus makes a mistake, pretty much what you have just proven!

jesus said that the baptist is Elijah, .. john denies it, simple, jesus made a mistake!

So, how was John the Baptist used in a work that was similar to Elijah?

The prophet Malachi foretold a message from Jehovah....
“Look! I am sending to you people Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and fear-inspiring day of Jehovah. And he must turn the heart of fathers back toward sons, and the heart of sons back toward fathers; in order that I may not come and actually strike the earth with a devoting of it to destruction" (Malachi 4:5, 6)

Very good, now if the OT is said I am sending E.L.I.J.A.H .. then it has to be Elijah, not someone who does like Elijah, not someone who looks like Elijah, not someone who is married to Elijah's cousin, ELIJAH HIMSELF.

If you want to add to the OT, that's up to you, but you will find you have made your own OT book.

Elijah lived some 500 years before those words were spoken. Since this was a prophecy, Jews of the first century C.E. were in expectation of Elijah’s coming to fulfill it. (Matthew 17:10)

good, very good, Elijah's coming, ... jews .. was jesus a jew? yes .. so he expected Elijah to come back .. but naturally that didn't happen, so he said, it's his REINCARNATION that did the job.

I hope that makes it clear for you.

Even if they thought it WAS Elijah in the flesh...it would be because God had resurrected him...NOT because they thought he was reincarnated.

Now you are accusing paul of lying .. look

[Cor1 15:20][But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who have died.]

if jesus was the first, then there was no resurrection before jesus.

Don't you comprehend the difference? Can you comprehend the difference? The Jews did not believe that humans had some spiritual part of themselves that left the body at death.

jesus included .. unless he was a hindu!!!

Why do you think Jesus had such a hard time trying to convince his disciples they they would rule with him in heaven? They just could not accept such a foreign concept.

because it's impossible, it didn't happen, it won't happen.

Unless you are trying to tell me St Judas the Iscariot will be ruling, which is what jesus promised to poor bloke according to the gospels!

An angel had told John’s father, Zechariah, that John would have “Elijah’s spirit and power” and would “get ready for Jehovah a prepared people.” (Luke 1:17)

you got it .. REINCARNATION!

Shermana

Heretic
can someone please have a straight answer to my clean cut question?

I will repeat again just in case.

jesus is nobody without Elijah sent before him .. #cf OT
And therefore people asked jesus, shouldn't Elijah be before the christ?

which means:
if you are the christ, then where's the Elijah that comes before you?
jesus said Elijah has come .. that's john the baptist!

I know john the baptist showed he didn't know jesus, (#cf gJohn) .. but that's how the xtians like to think

now for jesus to be the christ there HAS to be reincarnation.

Why don't they simply accept it?

They don't accept it because belief in reincarnation totally undermines their idea that if you don't believe in Jesus you go to hell FOREVER.

For----EVER.

And naturally, orthodox opinions only need apply for most it seems.

Ken Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayDee
Elijah lived some 500 years before those words were spoken. Since this was a prophecy, Jews of the first century C.E. were in expectation of Elijah’s coming to fulfill it. (Matthew 17:10)

good, very good, Elijah's coming, ... jews .. was jesus a jew? yes .. so he expected Elijah to come back .. but naturally that didn't happen, so he said, it's his REINCARNATION that did the job.

I hope that makes it clear for you.

Hi Xchristian, I really didn't want to get back into this dog chasing it's tail discussion, but have you considered where Yeshua says that Elijah DOES comes to RESTORE all things as He said in Matt 17:10 and Mark 9:12, but then the Disciples say this ABOUT Yeshua:

Act 3:20-21
(20) And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
(21) Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Xchristian, considering that Yeshua said that Elijah DOES or STILL has to come to restore all things BEFORE the Kingdom comes, and then Peter says that Yeshua is received into Heaven UNTIL the time to restore all things (and He will be sent), do you think that Yeshua is going to be the One that ultimately RESTORES all things? Is Yeshua the Elijah that STILL needs to come? KB

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Greetings my friend, :)

Did I not quote you from your post #171?
I think that I understand your position on the spirit of YAHWEH ELOHIM, but I do not think that you understand my position.
Perhaps we are misunderstanding each other. :(

I maintain that the spirit of ELOHIM is in no way physical!
That is what I stated too, so I am at a loss to understand why you think I said it was physical. God's spirit is his power, exercised by him through various agencies to accomplish his will. It is not a person, it was used to create that which is physical, but it itself is an invisible force, and so incredibly powerful, as the universe testifies.

Accordingly, what does the gift of holy spirit mean to you, JayJayDee?
The gift of the holy spirit is the anointing and empowering of a faithful and dedicated servant of the Most HIgh. In ancient Israel, God granted his spirit to his servants the prophets who were empowered to deliver judgment messages, predict the outcomes of events and also perform miracles on occasion.

In Christian times some were given a unique invitation to fulfill a special commission to become "kings and priests" with Jesus in heaven. (Rev 20:6)
Initially, when Christianity was in its infancy, miraculous gifts accompanied the implanting of God's spirit in these "chosen ones". Once the congregations were firmly established, "powerful works", which Paul described as "the traits of a babe" were no longer needed. "Love" would now identify Christ's disciples. (John 13:34, 35; 1 Cor 13:4-11)

Even Jesus indicated that powerful works were not an identifying mark of his true followers. He said "many" would believe that these 'works' were proof of the operation of holy spirit, but they were wrong. He said he "NEVER" knew these ones, and even called them "workers of lawlessness". (Matt 7:21-23)

The apostle Paul identifies what it means to be anointed with God's spirit...."For all who are led by God’s spirit, these are God’s sons. For you did not receive a spirit of slavery causing fear again, but you received a spirit of adoption as sons, by which spirit we cry out: “Abba, FatherThe spirit itself bears witness with our spirit that we are God’s children. If, then, we are children, we are also heirs: heirs indeed of God, but joint heirs with Christ, provided we suffer together that we may also be glorified together" (Rom 8:14-17)

The expression "ABBA FATHER", as you are probably aware, is an expression of intimate affection....of a child to his father.

I do not believe that ALL Christ's followers get this unique invitation, even though Jesus' true disciples are all God's children. This is because the official invitation was not issued until after Messiah's death and resurrection. Because these are a finite number, (like the positions in any ruling body) when all the positions are filled, the rest will have the same destination as their pre-Christian brothers and sisters. Everlasting life in paradise conditions on earth.

There are two separate groups of believers who are saved by Jesus' ransom sacrifice.

Those whom Jesus chose to be "joint heirs" with him as rulers in his Kingdom, (as mentioned above) and those who will live on earth who survive the "great tribulation" at the end of the present system of things.
Others, who are not of the "heavenly calling" of both pre-Christian times and modern times, will come back "in the resurrection on the last day" (John 11:23, 24) to be restored to life on earth...the place where God originally intended man to live.

"And I heard the number of those who were sealed, a hundred and forty-four thousand, sealed out of every tribe of the sons of Israel" (Rev 7:4)

"After these things I saw, and, look! a great crowd, which no man was able to number, out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, dressed in white robes; and there were palm branches in their hands. And they keep on crying with a loud voice, saying: “Salvation [we owe] to our God, who is seated on the throne, and to the Lamb
(Rev 7:9, 10)

"And in response one of the elders said to me: “These who are dressed in the white robes, who are they and where did they come from?” So right away I said to him: “My lord, you are the one that knows.” And he said to me: “These are the ones that come out of the great tribulation, and they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb." (Revelation 7:13-14)

"for then there will be great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now, no, nor will occur again." (Matt 24:21)

I hope you can see what I am trying to say.....:eek:

And if you would be so kind, upon whom was the spirit of ELOHIM first breathed?

God's spirit was upon creation, so his very first use of his spirit, (that we know of) was the creation of his "firstborn". This unique "only begotten" son was the first of God's creative activities. He is "only begotten" because he is the only direct creation of God in existence. With this "master worker" at his side, this firstborn son fabricated everything existing, both in the spirit realm and in the earthy one. (Col 1:15, 16; Prov 8:22, 30)

The first living beings to breathe air were the ones created by God before humans.

Humans were the only physical beings in existence to be made in the image of God and his son. (Gen 1:26, 27) That means that they possessed faculties and qualities that are not seen in the animal kingdom. Animals have no moral capacity and have no concept of the future. They do not plan and they do not make decisions based on future outcomes. They operate purely by inbuilt programming, which has been called instinctive wisdom.
We take all those capacities for granted.
Animals were not designed to live forever...there is a circle of life that is carried on perpetually. Only humans are promised everlasting life.

But it was not by means of reincarnation as many would like to assert.

I am curious to understand your belief system Latuwr. You list yourself as Agnostic but obviously have Jewish roots? Yes?

Blessings to you.

Jay

Ken Brown

Mr Brown

let's first agree ..

When Mr Elijah comes back, for whatever purpose, what age will he be?

Hi Xchristian, have you not read:

Heb 7:3
(3) Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.

AND

Heb 7:14-17
(14) For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.
(15) And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,
(16) Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.
(17) For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

How can you ask a question about the age of someone who is:

Rev 22:13
(13) I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

Please answer my question. KB

Xchristian

Mr Brown

I asked about the age of Elijah, you answered a totally different question, and hence the repetition.

By the way, I have a friend in Newcastle who says he is the England captain, everybody knows he can't play rugby, but it's just like the alpha and omega, theta and gamma .. just allegations ..

We can only appreciate a person's allegation if he does well to convince us, rather than die the death of a common criminal .. etc.

Ken Brown

Mr Brown

I asked about the age of Elijah, you answered a totally different question, and hence the repetition.

By the way, I have a friend in Newcastle who says he is the England captain, everybody knows he can't play rugby, but it's just like the alpha and omega, theta and gamma .. just allegations ..

We can only appreciate a person's allegation if he does well to convince us, rather than die the death of a common criminal .. etc.

Hi Xchristian, I view the Elijah that is YET to come as Yeshua, and He has an ENDLESS life. So what is hard to understand about my answer? Please answer my question. KB

Xchristian

Hi Xchristian, I view the Elijah that is YET to come as Yeshua, and He has an ENDLESS life. So what is hard to understand about my answer? Please answer my question. KB

Hello

I am known never to avoid answering anything, but I just need to understand what I am talking about, otherwise I am bluffing my way!

so ..

you're telling me that Elijah is YET to come as Yeshua.

I guess you mean jesus by saying Yeshua, right?

What I don't understand is: Does that mean he takes several forms?

Elijah can come as Yeshua, but came as Elijah proper once, and as John the baptist another,right?

Ken Brown

Hello

I am known never to avoid answering anything, but I just need to understand what I am talking about, otherwise I am bluffing my way!

so ..

you're telling me that Elijah is YET to come as Yeshua.

I guess you mean jesus by saying Yeshua, right?

What I don't understand is: Does that mean he takes several forms?

Elijah can come as Yeshua, but came as Elijah proper once, and as John the baptist another,right?

Hi Xchristian, yes, now you are starting to look at it properly. Elijah can come in DIFFERENT incarnations and not as reincarnations. Good. KB

Xchristian

Hi Xchristian, yes, now you are starting to look at it properly. Elijah can come in DIFFERENT incarnations and not as reincarnations. Good. KB

very close now ..

so one incarnation as one person, next incarnation as a totally different person

I mean surely when he occurs as a certain person, that person is totally different from the one before.

So he is born again, brand new body, same old person, I am quite sure that's reincarnation.

As for your question ..

The epistle to the Hebrews:

(3) Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.

Surely, we are talking about a person that has not been named ever, because even jesus has a mother, and has 'descent' .. as the author says it: he sprang from Judah.

Unless you are saying that that person is the seed, and jesus, john, etc are incarnations of that person.

right?

Ken Brown

very close now ..

so one incarnation as one person, next incarnation as a totally different person

I mean surely when he occurs as a certain person, that person is totally different from the one before.

So he is born again, brand new body, same old person, I am quite sure that's reincarnation.

As for your question ..

The epistle to the Hebrews:

Surely, we are talking about a person that has not been named ever, because even jesus has a mother, and has 'descent' .. as the author says it: he sprang from Judah.

Unless you are saying that that person is the seed, and jesus, john, etc are incarnations of that person.

right?

Hi Xchristian, it appears that you forgot my question. Let me remind you. Yeshua said that Elijah has come and DOES come. There is going to be another appearing of Elijah BEFORE that Great and Notable Day of the Lord. Yeshua's Disciples (specifically Peter) states that Yeshua will be SENT for the restution of all things (what Elijah is supposed to do). So will Yeshua reincarnate as Elijah, or is Yeshua the Elijah who DOES come? Was Peter mistaken in saying that Yeshua would be sent to restore all things? And a new question. Moses said that there would arise from among the people a Prophet like unto himself. Was Moses saying that he would be reincarnated? KB

Xchristian

Was Peter mistaken in saying that Yeshua would be sent to restore all things?

Well, so far, yes, he is wrong, unless what he says will happen sometime in the future.
You know so well that none of those things happen, so yes he is wrong.

I assume you agree with me that this birth/rebirth of one person, different bodies means certain reincarnation.

And a new question. Moses said that there would arise from among the people a Prophet like unto himself. Was Moses saying that he would be reincarnated? KB

Is jesus like Moses? .. in what way please?

Ken Brown

Well, so far, yes, he is wrong, unless what he says will happen sometime in the future.
You know so well that none of those things happen, so yes he is wrong.

I assume you agree with me that this birth/rebirth of one person, different bodies means certain reincarnation.

Is jesus like Moses? .. in what way please?

Hi Xchristian, first, Peter is not wrong, Yeshua will come as Elijah and restore all things. Second, yes, Yeshua is LIKE Moses in that He is THAT Prophet that Moses said would come. What is so hard to understand about that? KB

Hi Xchristian, it appears that you forgot my question. Let me remind you. Yeshua said that Elijah has come and DOES come. There is going to be another appearing of Elijah BEFORE that Great and Notable Day of the Lord. Yeshua's Disciples (specifically Peter) states that Yeshua will be SENT for the restution of all things (what Elijah is supposed to do).

That is incorrect.

Matthew 17:12: But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them.
Matthew 17:13: Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist.

Xchristian

Hi Xchristian, first, Peter is not wrong, Yeshua will come as Elijah and restore all things.

Future tense .. thanks

Second, yes, Yeshua is LIKE Moses in that He is THAT Prophet that Moses said would come. What is so hard to understand about that? KB

It's hard because there are so many things in which jesus is never like Moses, other prophets maybe more like it, Simon Bar Kochba for instance ..

Moses is an army general, .. jesus is just a Palestinian citizen living under Roman rule.

Moses was born of known parents .. jesus has parents (I assume) but unknown father.

Moses was a leader ... jesus is not

Moses helped his people .. jesus caused all his generation of baby infants to be killed
(his country was reduced to rubble thanks to him)

Moses won something (a few wars) ... jesus never

Moses lived only once .. and died, and finished .. the biblical jesus has disturbed history here.

Moses married a few, and had kids ... jesus neither (unless our scholars say otherwise)

Moses never violated the commandments .. jesus ruined them all

Moses wrote books ... jesus didn't

the scripture says . someone LIKE Moses will do and so .. jesus is not that person

thanks

Moses is an army general, .. jesus is just a Palestinian citizen living under Roman rule.

Where does it state that Moses was an army general specifically?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Moses was born of known parents .. jesus has parents (I assume) but unknown father.

Read the biblical text carefully.

Matthew 1:20: But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moses was a leader ... jesus is not

He has had and continues to have countless followers up until the present, so perhaps you may want to revise your assertion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moses helped his people .. jesus caused all his generation of baby infants to be killed
(his country was reduced to rubble thanks to him)

He's (Jesus) helped me. And others. His country was reduced to rubble by reason of Tiberius if my recollection of historical events is accurate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moses won something (a few wars) ... jesus never

Actually, by Moses' own account, Moses didn't win anything.

Deuteronomy 20:4: For the LORD your God is he that goeth with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moses lived only once .. and died, and finished .. the biblical jesus has disturbed history here.

???!!

So has Facebook. Your point is....??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moses never violated the commandments .. jesus ruined them all

How so?

Moses wrote books ... jesus didn't

Can you provide any evidence that Moses wrote anything?

You're quite welcome.

Ken Brown

Conståntine;3193589 said:
That is incorrect.

Matthew 17:12: But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them.
Matthew 17:13: Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist.

Hi Constantine, maybe you are not aware of what Yeshua has said:

Mat 17:11
(11) And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things.

What does "shall first come," mean to you? Will Elias first come to restore all things? KB