• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reincarnation - Scripture or imagination?

Muffled

Jesus in me
As a Christian the Bible fors my beliefs on reincarnation.

I believe the Bible supports the concept. Mat 17:12 but I say into you, that Elijah is come already, and they knew him not, but did unto him whatsoever they would. Even so shall the Son of man also suffer of them.
13 Then understood the disciples that he spake unto them of John the Baptist.

allright

As a Christian the Bible fors my beliefs on reincarnation.

I believe the Bible supports the concept. Mat 17:12 but I say into you, that Elijah is come already, and they knew him not, but did unto him whatsoever they would. Even so shall the Son of man also suffer of them.
13 Then understood the disciples that he spake unto them of John the Baptist.

:facepalm:

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
It is important to note that there is another similar scenario like this one elsewhere in the Gospels. In Matthew 16:13-15 and Mark 8:27-29, Jesus asks, “Who do men say that I am?” The Apostles respond with the three answers of John the Baptist, Elijah and Jeremiah or one of the prophets. Now, the Jews cannot mean that literally, because Jesus and John the Baptist cannot possibly be reincarnations of each other, as the two were alive for thirty years together! Keeping this consideration in mind, we must logically conclude that Jesus was not speaking literally when He, for example, spoke of John the Baptist as being Elijah, just as the Apostles and the Jews were not speaking literally when saying who Jesus is commonly identified with.

Matthew 16:
13 When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?”
14 So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”

Is Jesus Elijah, Jeremiah, one of the Prophets or John the Baptist by this same logic? Even though Jesus and John the Baptist lived for 30 years on the same earth together, people still said that Jesus was John the Baptist. So saying "Person X is Person Y!" cannot be taken to mean reincarnation.

Rather, this whole concept of saying "John the Baptist is Elijah" or "Jesus is John the Baptist must logically mean "John the Baptist is continuing and fulfilling Elijah's ministry, and therefore represents Elijah.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Matthew 16:
13 When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?”
14 So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”

Is Jesus Elijah, Jeremiah, one of the Prophets or John the Baptist by this same logic? Even though Jesus and John the Baptist lived for 30 years on the same earth together, people still said that Jesus was John the Baptist. So saying "Person X is Person Y!" cannot be taken to mean reincarnation.

Rather, this whole concept of saying "John the Baptist is Elijah" or "Jesus is John the Baptist must logically mean "John the Baptist is continuing and fulfilling Elijah's ministry, and therefore represents Elijah.
And also the fact that the Jews believed in resurrection rather than an immortal soul that left the body at death, helps us to understand that they may have simply assumed that these men had been raised from the dead.

The Jews never believed in immortality of the soul and Jesus certainly never taught about such a thing. This is a belief adopted from Platonic Greek notions.

If there is no soul that leaves the body at death....reincarnation is impossible.

Xchristian

why not?

when it's Herod:

[Mk 6:16][ But when Herod heard of it, he said, "John, whom I beheaded, has been raised."]

Here it's alright for Herod and for the whole world to believe in incarnation, but when it's jesus, then no, he's too good for that!

Shiranui117

Premium Member
why not?

when it's Herod:

[Mk 6:16][ But when Herod heard of it, he said, "John, whom I beheaded, has been raised."]

Here it's alright for Herod and for the whole world to believe in incarnation, but when it's jesus, then no, he's too good for that!
Resurrection is NOT the same thing as reincarnation. Resurrection means that a person's soul returns to their body, and their old body is risen from the grave. Reincarnation means that, after a person dies, their soul is reborn as another person.

This is one of the foundational problems with supporters of Reincarnation who attempt to use the Bible (or the Qur'an for that matter) to try and prove their belief: All the Biblical references to "new life" or "being raised up to new life" clearly have to do with Resurrection, not Reincarnation.

If John the Baptist were to be reincarnated as Jesus, then John the Baptist would first have to die, and AFTER his death, THEN John the Baptist's soul would be reincarnated and REBORN as Jesus. i.e. John dies first, then Jesus is born. This is not the case; John the Baptist and Jesus lived for 30 years together on the same earth at the same time. Therefore, Jesus is not a reincarnation of John the Baptist.

Shermana

Heretic
And also the fact that the Jews believed in resurrection rather than an immortal soul that left the body at death, helps us to understand that they may have simply assumed that these men had been raised from the dead.

The Jews never believed in immortality of the soul and Jesus certainly never taught about such a thing. This is a belief adopted from Platonic Greek notions.

If there is no soul that leaves the body at death....reincarnation is impossible.

By all means please prove that the Jews did not believe in an immortal soul, thanks. I'm sure you're not familiar with the Jewish midrash on the subject.

After all, when they are commanded to not speak to the Spirits of the dead, they couldn't have possibly believed the Spirits of the dead were once alive or anything.

Xchristian

[Mk 6:14][ King Herod heard of it, for Jesus' name had become known. Some were saying, "John the baptizer has been raised from the dead; and for this reason these powers are at work in him."]
[Mk 6:15][ But others said, "It is Elijah." And others said, "It is a prophet, like one of the prophets of old."]

This means, he said jesus IS the baptist.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
please read the passage.
I did. How in the world does it suggest reincarnation? "Being raised" means Resurrection. The word "Resurrect" means "to rise again." Reincarnate means "to enter flesh again."

But, how do you define "reincarnation" What do you mean when you, Xchristian, say, "reincarnation?" I've learned that some people have unorthodox definitions of "reincarnation," so I'd like to make sure we're on the same page here.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
"Naked I return to the womb"

- Job

Doesn't get much more clear.
Ecclesiastes 5:14 As he came forth of his mother's womb, naked shall he return to go as he came

Job 1:18-21
[FONT=Palatino Linotype,Athena]18 While he is yet speaking, another messenger comes, saying to Job, While thy sons and thy daughters were eating and drinking with their elder brother, 19 suddenly a great wind came on from the desert, and caught the four corners of the house, and the house fell upon thy children, and they are dead; and I have escaped alone, and am come to tell thee. 20 So Job arose, and rent his garments, and shaved the hair of his head, and fell on the earth, and worshipped, 21 and said, I myself came forth naked from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither; the Lord gave, the Lord has taken away: as it seemed good to the Lord, so has it come to pass; blessed be the name of the Lord.[/FONT]
The context of this makes it clear that "returning" to the womb is death. Being born (came forth naked from my mother's womb) and dying (and naked I shall return thither) fits in best with the juxtaposition in verse 21 between life and death, and the Lord giving and taking away.

You CAN make a more interesting argument using Ecclesiastes, though, I'll give you that. However, you would first have to show that the Jews at the time believed in reincarnation. One interesting but isolated verse is not enough, I'm afraid, especially when the most defensible argument is that the same dichotomy in Job 1:21 exists in Ecclesiastes 5:14--that is, being born, and then dying. Being physically born again requires more backing, at least equal to the support for the overwhelming belief that we only live one life.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
By all means please prove that the Jews did not believe in an immortal soul, thanks. I'm sure you're not familiar with the Jewish midrash on the subject.

After all, when they are commanded to not speak to the Spirits of the dead, they couldn't have possibly believed the Spirits of the dead were once alive or anything.

Think about the bigger picture Shermana.

When God created humans, there was no religion. There was one God and one way to worship him. By the time of the flood of Noah's day, mankind had shed the worship of the true God in favor of doing their own thing. Wicked spirits had dominated life on earth and had spread their wickedness among mankind. (Gen 6) The deluge cleansed the earth and everything went back to square one.

Noah and his sons were given the same mandate that Adam and his wife were given...."be fruitful and become many and fill the earth". Three couples were to repopulate the whole earth. Noah was 500 years old before he had his children prior to the deluge, and the Bible says nothing about him having any more afterwards.

Noah's great grandson, (Nimrod) was the first to again begin a course of rebellion. Nimrod, no doubt had heard of the pre-flood villains who had dominated the earth like gods. He and his supporters wanted to make a celebrated name for themselves and built cities. In one of them, Babel, they began to build a tower 'with it's top in the heavens'. A false religious purpose was evidently attached to the building of this tower, (thought to be a ziggurat) so God stepped in to thwart their plans. He had told them to spread abroad in the earth, but Nimrod and his supporters disobeyed. God forced them to spread out in the earth by confusing their language. (Gen 11:1-9)
They separated and took their false religious ideas with them all over the globe. That is why you see a common thread running through so many of the world's religions. One of those false beliefs was the belief in life after death, by means of the immortality of the human soul. God had told Adam that he would 'surely die'...the serpent said they wouldn't. That satanic lie of never dying found its way into the doctrine of the afterlife.

To perpetuate this doctrine, the demons impersonate the "dead" in order to convince the living that they are still around.....in the spirit world. The truth is, the only beings that inhabited the spirit world, were not former humans.

By the time the Israelites were formed into a nation, mankind had deviated into all manner of religious ideas. Fallen humanity had once again adopted beliefs and practices that were disgusting to the Creator.
The land into which God would lead his people was rife with these false religious beliefs and practices. The Canaanites were especially offensive in their practices.

Deuteronomy 18:9-12 contain Jehovah's words of warning about those things.

“When you are entered into the land that Jehovah your God is giving you, you must not learn to do according to the detestable things of those nations. There should not be found in you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, anyone who employs divination, a practicer of magic or anyone who looks for omens or a sorcerer, or one who binds others with a spell or anyone who consults a spirit medium or a professional foreteller of events or anyone who inquires of the dead. For everybody doing these things is something detestable to Jehovah, and on account of these detestable things Jehovah your God is driving them away from before you."

Can we imagine God preventing us from speaking to the spirits of our departed loved ones if that is who they really were? He called communicating with the 'dead' "detestable".
King Saul knew this when he went to the witch of Endor. (1 Sam. 28:4-25)

If you have a clear picture of what transpired in Biblical history, and do some research you will see all the pieces fall into place.

There was originally no belief in an immortal soul held by God's people until they were influenced by Hellenism.

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
Can we imagine God preventing us from speaking to the spirits of our departed loved ones if that is who they really were? He called communicating with the 'dead' "detestable".
Right, he called it detestable because it's possible to do.

The idea that it doesn't make sense for God to prevent us from talking to departed loved ones is ludicrous, there's lots of things people want to do that God doesn't want them to do. Like eating pork. Or drinking blood. Or wearing mixed fabrics. What if I really love 50% Cotton 50% wool mixtures?

There was originally no belief in an immortal soul held by God's until they were influenced by Hellenism.
So yeah, you haven't proven that whatsoever and you apparently are not familiar with any of the Midrash, which was not at all influenced by Hellenism.

To perpetuate this doctrine, the demons impersonate the "dead" in order to convince the living that they are still around.....in the spirit world. The truth is, the only beings that inhabited the spirit world, were not former humans.
A great example of how you can make up anything you want to say and make up any interpretation you want to fit what you want it to say without going into what the text clearly reads when read plainly. This is a JW argument by the way, this concept NEVER existed until the JWs. Are you JW by chance? I hope you realize that this is an entirely new, unscriptural extrapolation. To write off all the Jewish midrash that clearly believes in the existence of souls and Spirits as Hellenistic is just mind boggingly ignorant.

I repeat, there is NOTHING that remotely supports this view in the text or in any Jewish tradition (Or Christian), and involves severe twisting of the text to make it say something it doesn't say whatsoever. If you believe that the Ghost of Samuel was just a Demon in disguise, you're just proving how you can believe anything you want about anything without regard to any boundaries of interpretation. And of course, all the things Jesus mentions like "Fear him who can destroy body AND SOUL" you can just snip out as well.

With that said, I don't see how anything else you said backs what you claim.

And with that said, are you ready to go into all the references to the afterlife in the NT?

Why did Paul say that it's good to die for Christ?

Why did it say that the Sea spat out its dead, and the dead will be judged according to their works? Are you aware of how much explicit reference to souls and the afterlife is in Revelation?

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
Ecclesiastes 5:14 As he came forth of his mother's womb, naked shall he return to go as he came

Job 1:18-21
[FONT=Palatino Linotype,Athena]18 While he is yet speaking, another messenger comes, saying to Job, While thy sons and thy daughters were eating and drinking with their elder brother, 19 suddenly a great wind came on from the desert, and caught the four corners of the house, and the house fell upon thy children, and they are dead; and I have escaped alone, and am come to tell thee. 20 So Job arose, and rent his garments, and shaved the hair of his head, and fell on the earth, and worshipped, 21 and said, I myself came forth naked from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither; the Lord gave, the Lord has taken away: as it seemed good to the Lord, so has it come to pass; blessed be the name of the Lord.[/FONT]
The context of this makes it clear that "returning" to the womb is death. Being born (came forth naked from my mother's womb) and dying (and naked I shall return thither) fits in best with the juxtaposition in verse 21 between life and death, and the Lord giving and taking away.

You CAN make a more interesting argument using Ecclesiastes, though, I'll give you that. However, you would first have to show that the Jews at the time believed in reincarnation. One interesting but isolated verse is not enough, I'm afraid, especially when the most defensible argument is that the same dichotomy in Job 1:21 exists in Ecclesiastes 5:14--that is, being born, and then dying. Being physically born again requires more backing, at least equal to the support for the overwhelming belief that we only live one life.

So your argument is that two verses doesn't prove anything just because it's only two verses and that I have to prove the concept existed in Jewish tradition in order to show that the verse means what it means? Do you have any idea how many doctrines are formed out of just one or two verses?

The context does NOT make it so that returning to the Womb is death. You're just showing how you can read anything you want into it apart from what it clearly says when read plainly. You have to twist it to get it so returning to the womb means death. After all, it can't POSSIBLY mean that the Lord taking away one's life means being born into another. No, that can't possibly be what it means at all...right.

Are you prepared to have to defend various orthodox doctrines on the idea that you can't prove them from just one or two verses?

And then there's Wisdom of Solomon as well "Being good, I was given an undefiled body".

And then there's the fact that Jeremiah was known before he was in the womb, and was ordained a prophet before then. Why? Is God arbitrary? Was he really well behaved in the Spirit world?

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Right, he called it detestable because it's possible to do.

He called it detestable because it was communicating with demons.

The idea that it doesn't make sense for God to prevent us from talking to departed loved ones is ludicrous, there's lots of things people want to do that God doesn't want them to do. Like eating pork. Or drinking blood. Or wearing mixed fabrics. What if I really love 50% Cotton 50% wool mixtures?
You are welcome to hold that position. The fact remains that speaking with spirits of ANY description is wrong.

So yeah, you haven't proven that whatsoever and you apparently are not familiar with any of the Midrash, which was not at all influenced by Hellenism.
I am no expert on Judaism by any means. I only know what I have read.

Perhaps you may want to check out this site.....

Immortality: Jewish Belief in a Bodiless Existence - My Jewish Learning

myjewishlearning.com said:
"The idea that humans are made up of two substances, a body that perishes and a soul that lives on after death, is not found in the Bible. The Hebrew words later associated with the soul--nefesh, neshamah, ruah- in the Bible mean "breath" and sometimes (as in Genesis 2:7, nishmat hayim) refer to the animating spark of life. But there is no sense that this spark is an essential entity that exists independent of the body. The concept of immortality entered Judaism sometime between the first century BCE and the first century CE. Reprinted with permission of The Gale Group from Contemporary Jewish Religious Thought, edited by Arthur A. Cohen and Paul Mendes-Flohr, Twayne Publishers.

The doctrine of immortality normally refers to the immortality of the soul-‑in contrast to the mortality of the body. This doctrine, as has often been pointed out, is not Jewish in origin but Greek. "

A great example of how you can make up anything you want to say and make up any interpretation you want to fit what you want it to say without going into what the text clearly reads when read plainly. This is a JW argument by the way, this concept NEVER existed until the JWs. Are you JW by chance?
Of course.
The text reads as clearly as it does when you strip away the false beliefs. The serpent said man would not die if he disobeyed God's command.....God said that they would...so who lied? God or the serpent? Who benefits from belief that a person continues to live after death? God said no such thing. He simply told Adam that he would die and return to the dust, period.

I hope you realize that this is an entirely new, unscriptural extrapolation. To write off all the Jewish midrash that clearly believes in the existence of souls and Spirits as Hellenistic is just mind boggingly ignorant.
Are you in denial about the origin of the doctrine Shermana? Even Jews say it is not a Jewish doctrine, but Greek. It is not as mind bogglingly ignorant as you assume. :sad:

I repeat, there is NOTHING that remotely supports this view in the text or in any Jewish tradition (Or Christian), and involves severe twisting of the text to make it say something it doesn't say whatsoever. If you believe that the Ghost of Samuel was just a Demon in disguise, you're just proving how you can believe anything you want about anything without regard to any boundaries of interpretation.
The "ghost of Samuel" was not seen by Saul. Nor was it heard by him. Only the woman who called up the spirit saw it and heard its words, which she relayed to Saul.

The predictions made did not come true in the detail.
Not “tomorrow,” as the demon incorrectly said, but a number of days later King Saul and three, not all, of his sons fell in battle at Mount Gilboa. King Saul, wounded by a Philistine arrow, hastened his own death by falling on his sword. (1 Sam. 28:4-25; 31:1-13)

In Isaiah's day, the prophet said...
“In case they should say to you people: ‘Apply to the spiritistic mediums or to those having a spirit of prediction who are chirping and making utterances in low tones,’ is it not to its God that any people should apply? Should there be application to dead persons in behalf of living persons?” (Isaiah 8:19)

All of this was going on in Judah despite the fact that Jehovah had forbidden the practice of spiritism. Under the Mosaic Law, it was a capital offense. (Leviticus 19:31; 20:6, 27; Deuteronomy 18:9-12) So serious that the death penalty applied.

And of course, all the things Jesus mentions like "Fear him who can destroy body AND SOUL" you can just snip out as well.
For a Jew, destroying the soul meant destroying the person. It carried the idea that they would be left in sheol forever with no resurrection. Adam was told he would 'return to the earth from which he was made'...nothing more. No afterlife of any description is mentioned for him or his wife. They would not see life again.

An immortal soul cannot be destroyed. The word "immortal" itself means "the power of an indestructible life." Immortality is granted only to the ones "called" to life in heaven. These will be resurrected first in the position of kings and priests to assist Christ as king in his kingdom. (Rev 20:6)
Kings need subjects to rule over and priests needs sinners for whom to perform their priestly duties. Who will these be then?

With that said, I don't see how anything else you said backs what you claim.

And with that said, are you ready to go into all the references to the afterlife in the NT?
You are entering a whole new ball game with Christianity. Jesus tried to tell his Jewish apostles that he was going to die and return to heaven to prepare a place for them, but they could not comprehend what he was trying to tell them. Even after his death and resurrection, as he ascended to heaven, they wanted to know if he was establishing the kingdom to Israel at that time. (Acts 1:6) They believed Messiah's kingdom would be earthly.

They had no notion of life as anything but humans. Now the holy spirit would have to educate them about life in heaven by implanting a desire in their hearts to go there to be with their Lord.
No one had gone to heaven before Jesus but his death opened the way for others to follow later. (John 3:13; John 14:2, 3; Hebrews 9:24; 10:19, 20)

Why did Paul say that it's good to die for Christ?

Why did it say that the Sea spat out its dead, and the dead will be judged according to their works? Are you aware of how much explicit reference to souls and the afterlife is in Revelation?
Would you like to explore these things Shermana? They have wonderful reasonable, logical explanations.

The "afterlife" is not quite what most people imagine.

Shermana

Heretic
Would you like to explore these things Shermana? They have wonderful reasonable, logical explanations.
By all means, tell me how you twist and turn the explicit references to souls and the afterlife in Revelation before I deal with that wall of text.

On second thought, I Don't think there's much to deal with on that text since you're basically just repeating yourself and saying nuh uh and ultimately dodging the questions and counterpoints with non-answers that don't address what I said. So anyways, carry on with Revelation.
For a Jew, destroying the soul meant destroying the person. It carried the idea that they would be left in sheol forever with no resurrection.

So where do you derive this view considering that you write off all Jewish midrash on the subject as "Influenced by Hellenism"?

Last edited:

Xchristian

I did. How in the world does it suggest reincarnation? "Being raised" means Resurrection. The word "Resurrect" means "to rise again." Reincarnate means "to enter flesh again."

But, how do you define "reincarnation" What do you mean when you, Xchristian, say, "reincarnation?" I've learned that some people have unorthodox definitions of "reincarnation," so I'd like to make sure we're on the same page here.

Shiranui, please stay within the limits of what the text offers ...
people may wish to 'interpret' things, but we have no idea what the original person thought, but by the words of those who described it, and for their own agenda.
That has then been diluted, changed, redacted, you name it. But it's still there for all to see.

People say a live person, is the same person who lived 100's of years back, that's a definition in itself. we can't redefine it, it defines itself.

jesus says that the baptist IS Elija, definition.

Herod says I cut the Baptist's head, this [i.e. jesus] is him. That's a definition.

We can't do but accept it for what it's worth.

if you like, call it, the gospel writers' understanding of 'reincarnation', I accept that.

I wouldn't mind postulating this:

'the gospel writers' definition of reincarnation, ... a dead person's soul inhabits the body of a live person, be it a contemporary or a far later person.

regards,,

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It is very difficult to get away with saying "Jews believe"

As we have read on this forum recently... ( in my own words...)
Some Jews believe in "a purgatory like hell", where people are purified for up to one year before moving on to the afterlife.
Some Jews believe in reincarnation, for some, to complete their required obligations to God.
Some Jews believe in resurrection.

It would be strange if some early Judo-Christians did not also hold these beliefs.

The Early Christians were heavily influenced by the way Jewish, Greek, and north African converts thought about faith and God.

For instance ... the concept of the Trinity could not have been formulated with out the concepts available through the Greek language. The words and meanings used, were simply not available in Latin, Hebrew, Aramaic or Coptic philosophy or language.

Christianity Developed From the Judo-Christian "Jesus movement" Which was predominantly a Jewish sect. Into becoming a Christo-Greek Religion that sat more comfortably with that language, philosophy and social belief system.
By the time it became the Roman state religion of the Empire, its culture and language was mostly Greek. But became "Imperialised" to the extent that Jesus became "God in Power and Majesty" as was expected for all Roman Gods.

In the process Purgatory became a path to heaven. and Hell became perpetual torment.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
Shiranui, please stay within the limits of what the text offers ...
people may wish to 'interpret' things, but we have no idea what the original person thought, but by the words of those who described it, and for their own agenda.
That has then been diluted, changed, redacted, you name it. But it's still there for all to see.

People say a live person, is the same person who lived 100's of years back, that's a definition in itself. we can't redefine it, it defines itself.

jesus says that the baptist IS Elija, definition.

Herod says I cut the Baptist's head, this [i.e. jesus] is him. That's a definition.

We can't do but accept it for what it's worth.

if you like, call it, the gospel writers' understanding of 'reincarnation', I accept that.

I wouldn't mind postulating this:

'the gospel writers' definition of reincarnation, ... a dead person's soul inhabits the body of a live person, be it a contemporary or a far later person.

regards,,
That's possession, not reincarnation. I am staying within the limits of what the text offers. I could just as easily say that you're the one who's twisting around the words of the Gospel writers.