• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Refusal On Principal Alone

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
You know, in the wake of Juneteenth, I can't help but think about slavery, and our place as a nation in it's perpetuation. It took way too long to bring about it's end, and even now, we continue to perpetuate it's existence through the things we buy at a reduced price.

I do what I can to make sure I limit the amount of stuff I buy from places that are known to utilize sweat shops, though I know it's impossible to avoid it altogether in this day and age. I also know that my actions don't really influence anything on the grand scale... But I still do it. I feel it's the right thing to do.

Are there things you refuse to partake in on ethical Merritt alone? Maybe you boycott a certain company because of their policies? Maybe you refuse to eat certain meat?

What is something you go out if your way to oppose or avoid because you think it's wrong?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm a vegetarian. Its not for my health, its because of where it comes from.

I had a coworker once comment that I must lead a really healthy lifestyle(based on my diet). I told her I was going to clock out, go home, have a glass of gin and a slice of cake. How healthy is that? (My diet's improved since then, but I'm still a vegetarian based on ethics).

I know someone else will partake in the meat I don't eat. I just don't want any part of it.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
i oppose people telling other people how to live their lives

That's fair, and kind of an interesting thought... Have you ever stopped someone in public when you've witnessed that happening to let them know that what they were doing was wrong in your eyes?

Jeremiah Ames

That's fair, and kind of an interesting thought... Have you ever stopped someone in public when you've witnessed that happening to let them know that what they were doing was wrong in your eyes?

i have many times, but it almost never turns out well

stupid people are too stupid to know they are stupid

hypocrites are too self righteous to know they’re hypocrites

‘saved’ people think they’re immune to sin so they can’t visualize themselves as sinning

but it won’t stop me

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Yep...."never let someone who hasn't walked in your shoes, tell you how to tie your laces"...heard that one recently.

I agree with that statement, but I think its hard for some people to realize that, even though you might both have blue shoes, they're not quite the same pair.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
You know, in the wake of Juneteenth, I can't help but think about slavery, and our place as a nation in it's perpetuation. It took way too long to bring about it's end, and even now, we continue to perpetuate it's existence through the things we buy at a reduced price.

I do what I can to make sure I limit the amount of stuff I buy from places that are known to utilize sweat shops, though I know it's impossible to avoid it altogether in this day and age. I also know that my actions don't really influence anything on the grand scale... But I still do it. I feel it's the right thing to do.

Are there things you refuse to partake in on ethical Merritt alone? Maybe you boycott a certain company because of their policies? Maybe you refuse to eat certain meat?

What is something you go out if your way to oppose or avoid because you think it's wrong?
In High School, I was planning on joining the military. I took the ASVAB and scored a 94. The time period from between the test to when an Air Force recruiter contacted me was when I started questioning the morality of USA, and our military presence abroad. When the recruiter contacted me, she was wanting to get me into an officers college. This was my Dad's dream for me, as he was a military man. I told the recruiter I wasn't sure, and as time went on, I became a rabid anarchist.
I think about it sometimes. I could've retired by 38. I would've started with a salary of at least 100,000. Since then, I've struggled financially, been through many living situations, such as homelessness. However, I still do believe I made the right choice.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I wonder how long it would take to get rid of plastic if everyone stopped buying what what was wrapped in it.....or leaving their plastic in the store and just taking their produce home in their own bags.

We know that plastic is bad for the environment but I would always support businesses who make it a choice to eliminate plastic. And yet if it was made of hemp instead of petroleum derivatives, we would not need to avoid plastic at all.....because its bio-degradable, it would feed the marine life instead of killing them....and it would fertilize the land where it is buried, readily breaking down to release natural fertilizer.

This is what's wrong with the world...some of the solutions are very simple, but because the 'big boys' would lose money, they are allowed to keep on polluting......oil based products are the worst. Burning fossil fuels is killing us, yet we continue to use them....:( We have had the technology for years to run electric cars on solar energy. All we need at home is a battery to store the solar power to recharge our vehicles at night. Its not a difficult concept surely?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I wonder how long it would take to get rid of plastic if everyone stopped buying what what was wrapped in it.....or leaving their plastic in the store and just taking their produce home in their own bags.

We know that plastic is bad for the environment but I would always support businesses who make it a choice to eliminate plastic. And yet if it was made of hemp instead of petroleum derivatives, we would not need to avoid plastic at all.....because its bio-degradable, it would feed the marine life instead of killing them....and it would fertilize the land where it is buried, readily breaking down to release natural fertilizer.

This is what's wrong with the world...some of the solutions are very simple, but because the 'big boys' would lose money, they are allowed to keep on polluting......oil based products are the worst. Burning fossil fuels is killing us, yet we continue to use them....:( We have had the technology for years to run electric cars on solar energy. All we need at home is a battery to store the solar power to recharge our vehicles at night. Its not a difficult concept surely?
I agree with you on this. Though plastic does seem to be on the way out right now, with companies (even if only for PR rep) using alternatives. Solar needs to compete. Unfortunately greed is rewarded in capitalism (not that I’m necessarily a “commie.”)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
In High School, I was planning on joining the military. I took the ASVAB and scored a 94. The time period from between the test to when an Air Force recruiter contacted me was when I started questioning the morality of USA, and our military presence abroad. When the recruiter contacted me, she was wanting to get me into an officers college. This was my Dad's dream for me, as he was a military man. I told the recruiter I wasn't sure, and as time went on, I became a rabid anarchist.
I think about it sometimes. I could've retired by 38. I would've started with a salary of at least 100,000. Since then, I've struggled financially, been through many living situations, such as homelessness. However, I still do believe I made the right choice.
I have to admire anyone who has the courage of their convictions....not that I could envision what anarchy would look like in the real world, but I guess its a pleasant thought to contemplate not being under anyone's thumb. But for Christians, it is not our business who runs the world, or what they do, as long as we remain separated from it. (John 18:32; John 15:18-21)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I’m not necessarily boycotting anything really. I do try to do the right thing as far as waste is concerned. I try to limit my emissions. I mean life is life, you do what you can. Unfortunately I love bacon too much to be vegetarian, though I do try to get organic when possible (its expensive af though lol)

I suppose I have outright refused to support JK Rowling following her TERF statements. I wish her the best and normally I could careless what a celeb says or does. But it was more that I saw the hurt her transphobic statements caused. I guess because the fandom tends to skew young, I felt a bit more obligated to follow through. No more HP merch, though my inner geek cries. No more buying her works at all

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

I am a vegetarian so no meat :)
I do refuse to use weapons
If i can i buy fairtrade products.
I live a very minimalistic lifestyle

Edit: i do not drink alcohol
I do not smoke or use any form of drugs.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm a vegetarian. Its not for my health, its because of where it comes from.

I had a coworker once comment that I must lead a really healthy lifestyle(based on my diet). I told her I was going to clock out, go home, have a glass of gin and a slice of cake. How healthy is that? (My diet's improved since then, but I'm still a vegetarian based on ethics).

I know someone else will partake in the meat I don't eat. I just don't want any part of it.
I can understand that, even if I do not follow it. If someone does not eat meat I would never trick them into having some. The animal cruelty issue is a concern to me. I am fairly sure that some day in the future meat will be "factory grown". That is it will be just cells that are grown in a factory without an animal. Ultimately that could even lead to better tasting more nutritious meat without any guilt. The one think I worry about is what percentage of mammal life would humans become? Probably over 90% by mass.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
If someone does not eat meat I would never trick them into having some.

That some people would do that is cruel... there is more involved than preference alone. Once a person's body isn't used to a food, one can get sick if they partake in too much.

I was a vegan for about seven years. I mistakenly ate a dairy dish during that time.

The rest of the afternoon was a good time to catch up on some reading material, and to examine the color of paint that was used in the bathroom.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Whoa people actually do that? What if a person is allergic? That can kill! Wtf?

I've seen it. They think "Pfft, that person is just being picky/dramatic. They won't know the difference."

That happened to me and my X at a Chinese restaurant. My X asked if the Combo she wanted was vegetarian, and the waitress said yes... When the food came, it was obviously covered in meat. When my X said that she couldn't have meat, and she asked if she could just have a new one without it, the waitress kind of shrugged and said "Well... You can just eat around it." We left and I haven't been back since. I don't got time for that game. o_O

It's not the first time that happened, either. Folks get it in their minds that people with eating restrictions are just being difficult.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Yes, we are each only a one out of eight billion but that is where change starts. A wave is composed of water droplets. Taking my cue from your OP I avoid a lot of foodstuffs. As to boycotting... it's a minefield of connections of course so it's impossible to be free of all that one feels is wrong (and be a part of pressure to change). Given that caveat... some examples: there is one particular country I try to boycott or minimise my consumption from (I wish I could do another one but the products are everywhere in our life); there are companies whose (non food) products I will not buy because of their involvement in animal testing and (more recently) companies I will boycott because of one of their advertising outlets. I'm sure there's more :rolleyes:

Justanatheist

I used to avoid donating to any proselytizing charity but during Covid our local baptist church set up a food bank and my pragmatism overcome my ethics. There were a lot of poor families really struggling and no other avenue for help.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I've seen it. They think "Pfft, that person is just being picky/dramatic. They won't know the difference."

That happened to me and my X at a Chinese restaurant. My X asked if the Combo she wanted was vegetarian, and the waitress said yes... When the food came, it was obviously covered in meat. When my X said that she couldn't have meat, and she asked if she could just have a new one without it, the waitress kind of shrugged and said "Well... You can just eat around it." We left and I haven't been back since. I don't got time for that game. o_O

It's not the first time that happened, either. Folks get it in their minds that people with eating restrictions are just being difficult.

Wow, that is disgusting. If that happened to us my partner would have torched the place :p I wonder if they'd wise up if a customer died of anaphylaxis.
A shout out for Frankie and Bennys restaurant chain. We went to one again last week. They have an excellent vegan menu and thoroughly ask about allergies and the like both when taking the order and bringing it to us.