• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Refusal On Principal Alone

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
i have many times, but it almost never turns out well

stupid people are too stupid to know they are stupid

hypocrites are too self righteous to know they’re hypocrites

‘saved’ people think they’re immune to sin so they can’t visualize themselves as sinning

but it won’t stop me
Won't stop you what?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I was a vegan for about seven years. I mistakenly ate a dairy dish during that time.
My partner bought a wholemeal loaf last week which turned out to contain milk and egg. What the actual?

In those seven years I suspect you inadvertantly consumed other animal byproducts.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My partner bought a wholemeal loaf last week which turned out to contain milk and egg. What the actual?

In those seven years I suspect you inadvertantly consumed other animal byproducts.

In this case, I somehow missed a very important ingredient on the list: cream. I don't know if the bag it came in was crinkled or what but...well, it didn't stay with me long, and wasn't quiet upon its exit.

I didn't realize sodium caseinate(I think that's what it was) was dairy for awhile, but it was a lot less concentrated than that cream.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

It does take time and effort to be both vegetarian and vegan, because one has to be more consious of what it is actually we buy. many times i have been in the store, reading on the package what it contains, and people ask me why i care about it :) It is because it affect my body

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
In this case, I somehow missed a very important ingredient on the list: cream. I don't know if the bag it came in was crinkled or what but...well, it didn't stay with me long, and wasn't quiet upon its exit.

I didn't realize sodium caseinate(I think that's what it was) was dairy for awhile, but it was a lot less concentrated than that cream.
Shiny apples? Beetle mucus.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Perhaps this will apply to many and being a bit nebulous, but I'll not support my government, political party towards which I might lean, or country (national feeling and such) if I believed such was wrong, and probably no matter what the issue. But I doubt my input would be missed. :oops:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
As I pointed out earlier, I would not foist meat on someone unknown. My brother and his family are Seventh Day Adventists. That means that they follow the Old Testament dietary laws. My mother changed a few of her recipes for them. No more lard in the pie crust:( for example. Not to worry, she was a master baker and was able to substitute butter. It takes just a little more skill and she had that to spare. At any rate after she died I took over cooking the meat dishes when we got together. My brother and family are mostly vegetarian but sometimes they like a bit of meat. Usually either turkey, Thanksgiving and Christmas, or salmon at almost any other time. If so I will cook it.

At any rate, I was driving and listening to a foodie show on the radio. They were comparing various cornbread mixes that you could buy and their top pick was one my mom used when making stuffing for a turkey. She used regular breadcrumbs too, but the cornbread gave it a little extra flavor. One asked why it was so good and yet the most affordable of the three and I almost lost it when one of the hosts said it was probably the lard in the mix that gave it that flavor. Now I know my mom did not know this. My brother and his family never knew this. But I had to change the recipe and I told them why.

I know if one is a vegetarian in a meat eating world that one has to take precautions. Odds are some meat products have been slipped into a recipe. Though usually without any malice intended.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I've seen it. They think "Pfft, that person is just being picky/dramatic. They won't know the difference."

That happened to me and my X at a Chinese restaurant. My X asked if the Combo she wanted was vegetarian, and the waitress said yes... When the food came, it was obviously covered in meat. When my X said that she couldn't have meat, and she asked if she could just have a new one without it, the waitress kind of shrugged and said "Well... You can just eat around it." We left and I haven't been back since. I don't got time for that game. o_O

It's not the first time that happened, either. Folks get it in their minds that people with eating restrictions are just being difficult.
Okay that’s just disgusting. I’ve heard of places being sued for less