• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reality: What is it?

atanu

Premium Member
But the question must be asked: Who, or what, is it that knows that consciousness cannot see consciousness?

It is intellect that knows this by analogy. Eye cannot see itself. And this is also known intellectually by questioning "Who will know the knower?" If we drill down to all layers of subject-object pairs, the query boils down to who is the subject of "I am"? Eventually, nothing else is there to fall back upon, only the awareness remains. This is the intellectual part.

This query, if meditated upon earnestly (by the ego-intellect itself), reveals that we are awareness itself. We are not the sense organs or the mind that are objects to an unknown subject, which cannot be known as other than self. And it is awareness itself.

Only this much I am able to say. Nothing further to add from me.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
But the question must be asked: Who, or what, is it that knows that consciousness cannot see consciousness?
Definition is the what. While "awareness" is defined in terms of sensing something other, and verb is defined in terms of a subject, there will be a subject of awareness. That's the current narrative.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Definition is the what. While "awareness" is defined in terms of sensing something other, and verb is defined in terms of a subject, there will be a subject of awareness. That's the current narrative.

Yes, but these are all conceptual frameworks created by the subject/object split in the mind, a split which does not actually exist in nature. The 'subject of awareness' is exactly just one of those conceptual frameworks. From the POV of The Universe, does it see such a 'subject of awareness', or does it simply see pure awareness itself? As you yourself stated, the perceiver is unnecessary to the narrative. At least that is what I think you said.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Is what we call 'reality' the world as we perceive it, or the consciousness with which we perceive it?
"God's language is Silence: everything else is a poor translation" [Rumi]

You will never find the answer to this question by "thinking/talking about it" {if I understand Rumi correctly}.
A better question might be
"Reality: What is it not?"

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Yes, but these are all conceptual frameworks created by the subject/object split in the mind, a split which does not actually exist in nature. The 'subject of awareness' is exactly just one of those conceptual frameworks. From the POV of The Universe, does it see such a 'subject of awareness', or does it simply see pure awareness itself? As you yourself stated, the perceiver is unnecessary to the narrative. At least that is what I think you said.
Then while "awareness" and verb are defined differently, the narrative is something else. We are never free from the narrative as long as there is a question to be answered.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
So consciousness is an emergent property of brain function? How do we get from electro chemical reactions of a material nature to non-material consciousness?

Why do you assume consciousness is non-material?

So the brain creates a 'self' via electro chemical reactions, which in turn knows that it has created such a self? Is there now another self which sees this process occurring?

Answer to the first question: Yes.

Answer to the second question: No.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Then were does it occur if not in consciousness? There must be the awareness of the perception for perception to be known as perception.

To be known as perception, someone must have observed it in some way. But to *be* a perception, all that is required is that the senses detect something, NOT that the consciousness is informed.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
It is intellect that knows this by analogy. Eye cannot see itself.
It can with a mirror.

And this is also known intellectually by questioning "Who will know the knower?" If we drill down to all layers of subject-object pairs, the query boils down to who is the subject of "I am"? Eventually, nothing else is there to fall back upon, only the awareness remains. This is the intellectual part.

This query, if meditated upon earnestly (by the ego-intellect itself), reveals that we are awareness itself. We are not the sense organs or the mind that are objects to an unknown subject, which cannot be known as other than self. And it is awareness itself.

Only this much I am able to say. Nothing further to add from me.

And why is that a valid method for reaching the truth? Do all people, when they do this, reach the same conclusion? How do you know that this isn't just another illusion?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
OK, but is the world apart from Brahman, or is the world none other than Brahman, playing itself as 'the world' via lila and maya?
I'll go with the second option; 'the world none other than Brahman, playing itself as 'the world' via lila and maya'.

godnotgod

Thou art That
"God's language is Silence: everything else is a poor translation" [Rumi]

You will never find the answer to this question by "thinking/talking about it" {if I understand Rumi correctly}.
A better question might be
"Reality: What is it not?"

Yes, silence is the ultimate answer, but in navigating to that point of departure, it can be productive to use the intellect to reach that threshold as 'a finger pointing to the Moon'.

Rumi is simply noting that the description is not the described, a common error in thinking that man makes, believe it or not.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
So, then, would you agree that you and I are included in what the world is, namely, 'Brahman'?
I would so agree.

The material world things are then the props of Brahman in the divine play/drama where Brahman separates Himself from Himself in Act I and returns Himself to Himself. In Act II.

godnotgod

Thou art That
I would so agree.

The material world things are then the props of Brahman in the divine play/drama where Brahman separates Himself from Himself in Act I and returns Himself to Himself. In Act II.

But the 'separation' is part of the drama. It never happened.

godnotgod

Thou art That
To be known as perception, someone must have observed it in some way. But to *be* a perception, all that is required is that the senses detect something, NOT that the consciousness is informed.

Does perception make any sense without awareness? Something has to 'know' how to interpret what is being perceived.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Does perception make any sense without awareness? Something has to 'know' how to interpret what is being perceived.

Wrong. There are a great many things that are perceived without getting to consciousness. The processing of the perception is done by the brain, but is never conveyed to consciousness. For example, things like digestion, blood sugar level, and internal temperature are perceived, but generally are not part of our conscious awareness.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Wrong. There are a great many things that are perceived without getting to consciousness. The processing of the perception is done by the brain, but is never conveyed to consciousness. For example, things like digestion, blood sugar level, and internal temperature are perceived, but generally are not part of our conscious awareness.

According to the definition of perception, awareness is involved:

per·cep·tion
pərˈsepSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: perception; plural noun: perceptions
  1. the ability to see, hear, or become aware of something through the senses.
    "the normal limits to human perception"
    • the state of being or process of becoming aware of something through the senses.
      "the perception of pain"
      synonyms: recognition, awareness, consciousness, appreciation, realization, knowledge, grasp, understanding, comprehension, apprehension;
      formal cognizance
      "our perception of our own limitations"
    • a way of regarding, understanding, or interpreting something; a mental impression.
      "Hollywood's perception of the tastes of the American public"
      synonyms: impression, idea, conception, notion, thought, belief, judgment, estimation
      "popular perceptions of old age"
    • intuitive understanding and insight.
      "“He wouldn't have accepted,” said my mother with unusual perception"
      synonyms: insight, perceptiveness, percipience, perspicacity, understanding, sharpness, sharp-wittedness, intelligence, intuition, cleverness, incisiveness, trenchancy, astuteness, shrewdness, acuteness, acuity, discernment, sensitivity, penetration, thoughtfulness, profundity;
      formalperspicuity
      "he talks with great perception"
    • PsychologyZoology
      the neurophysiological processes, including memory, by which an organism becomes aware of and interprets external stimuli.
https://www.google.com/search?q=perception