• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reality: What is it?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Reality is the world, but is not the same as what we perceive. For example, there are a great many things we do not perceive and a great many things that we perceive incorrectly (visual illusions, for example). Consciousness is one aspect of reality, but not all of reality.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Neither. It is necessarily a step beyond perceiver, perceived, and any tool of perception.

OK for now, but on the level of perception alone, that is reality for the perceiver, just as the dream is reality for the dreamer.

Most of us in the 'waking' state call this 'material' world 'reality', because we feel it, see it, hear it, taste it, and smell it. For most, that means reality.

So what do you have in mind for the step beyond perception?

godnotgod

Thou art That
Reality is what exists without our presence. Its independent of our interpretation of the world.

If we misinterpret the world, and suffer the consequences, is the result reality? If we interpret it correctly, and enjoy the resulting benefits, is the result reality?
In both cases, we are connected to the world via consciousness.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
OK for now, but on the level of perception alone, that is reality for the perceiver, just as the dream is reality for the dreamer.

Most of us in the 'waking' state call this 'material' world 'reality', because we feel it, see it, hear it, taste it, and smell it. For most, that means reality.

So what do you have in mind for the step beyond perception?
On the level of perception, reality is necessarily one step removed from the perceiver. The perceiver would consider his perception to be real.

I'm not "most of us."

Reality is like Brahman.

JoshuaTree

Flowers are red?
Is what we call 'reality' the world as we perceive it, or the consciousness with which we perceive it?

Do not try and bend the spoon, that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth...there is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Do not try and bend the spoon, that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth...there is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

Is there even a self, let alone one that bends? If you say there is a self, then who, or what, is it that knows there is a self?

godnotgod

Thou art That
On the level of perception, reality is necessarily one step removed from the perceiver. The perceiver would consider his perception to be real.

I'm not "most of us."

Reality is like Brahman.

One step removed? You mean that there is a separate perceiver of the perception, rather than simply the act of perception itself?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
For intelligence to emerge in reality might speak to reality being progressive. Because of things like the discovery of mathematics and language, i suggest that life is inevitable. Logic has a power in existence. Who knows where intelligence will take us as we evolve. Perhaps reality has an opposite side to our own reality, where intelligence flourishes unhindered.

Intelligence begets intelligence. Amidst the raw chaos of nature, reality constantly adapts. Our universe is a stepping stone to greater progressions. I believe as our reality dies, something new and better will emerge. To progress from non living matter and energy, and become alive is no accident, though it appears so in some ways. Reality must have been intelligent in the past eternal. Brahman, or something like it must exist, and we are what it produces.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
For intelligence to emerge in reality might speak to reality being progressive. Because of things like the discovery of mathematics and language, i suggest that life is inevitable. Logic has a power in existence. Who knows where intelligence will take us as we evolve. Perhaps reality has an opposite side to our own reality, where intelligence flourishes unhindered.

Intelligence begets intelligence. Amidst the raw chaos of nature, reality constantly adapts. Our universe is a stepping stone to greater progressions. I believe as our reality dies, something new and better will emerge. To progress from non living matter and energy, and become alive is no accident, though it appears so in some ways. Reality must have been intelligent in the past eternal. Brahman, or something like it must exist, and we are what it produces.
That's a lovely superstition.

atanu

Premium Member
Is what we call 'reality' the world as we perceive it, or the consciousness with which we perceive it?

I realised that when we talk of 'consciousness with which we perceive', most people immediately assume that we are talking of electro chemical reactions taking place in brain, since that is the default thought: electro chemical reactions taking place in brain is consciousness through which we perceive things, including the self.

For me consciousness is that which enables knowledge of all things that are directly perceived or known through reports. 'Self' and electrochemical reactions in brain are such known things.