• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Real Housewives" star has new book that advocates marital rape

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Shared by Jezebel.com, Melissa Gorga of "Real Housewives of New Jersey" has written a book that has revealed an assortment of highly questionable anecdotes about her marriage to her husband Joe, and how her marital advice is considered to advocate marital rape.

From one of the excerpts (from her husband Joe) as shared by Jezebel:

Presumably, Joe appears throughout the book to give a husbands side of things as to what makes a happy marriage.

I've seen various "how-to" books on what makes a happy marriage, and many of them follow a focus on IMO infantilizing one or both of the spouses and catering to insecurities or spoiling them to the point where one spouse walks on eggshells to avoid an angry outburst. I don't know about the good folks here at RF, but marital advice like that turns my stomach.

Some other thoughtful bits of advice given by Mrs. Gorga are:

Give him attitude. Sheesh. Sounds like her husband Joe can't handle somebody who is peeved with him. And especially when he hasn't had sex in a couple of days.

And...

:facepalm:

There's plenty more from the book shared in the above link for your reading pleasure or as a source for indignation.

If this book made to a publisher, and that publisher agrees to print and distribute to the masses, then an average writer like myself stands a chance at writing her Mystic Manifesto someday and maybe banking at least a six figure contract.

My rant is over. Share your thoughts?
Yeah that's all abusive nonsense. It sounds like they have a really immature relationship, like how he thinks certain tasks are beneath him, how he's portrayed as basically a stupid sex machine, and how she is quoted in the article as saying that she makes sure to keep the illusion in her husband's mind that women never go to the bathroom, even after a decade of marriage.

That comment by him about dominating one's wife even when she says no, is rape. Especially when it's given for advice on how to treat women in general. Unless they have a very specific understanding of like, safewords or something, that would be a violent forceful rape.

I haven't seen any of these housewives' shows but from what I've heard they sound pretty bad.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Aw, now I'm blushing.
But yeah....
Willie.jpg
gawd.....!
all the baddies would run for their lives!
i've run out of data, am on phone. Back tomorrow! :)

Swordfall

A lot of South America is very religious. Where they may have a less condemning view on female rape, they also have far less homosexuality and rape in prisons then in America.

Where is the outrage on men raping men? It's not worth it to be up in arms for people in prison, but it's worth everything to be in arms about the sentiment that women who swoon in sexuality and vanity should be held accountable for the stumbling block they are?

Ahh, 1st world ignorance and hypocrisy. It never fails to deliver.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
A lot of South America is very religious. Where they may have a less condemning view on female rape, they also have far less homosexuality and rape in prisons then in America.

"Homosexuality in prisons"? What on Earth is that supposed to mean? And why exactly did you mention it in the same sentence with rape?

Where is the outrage on men raping men? It's not worth it to be up in arms for people in prison, but it's worth everything to be in arms about the sentiment that women who swoon in sexuality and vanity should be held accountable for the stumbling block they are?

Sexual assault is a crime, and so is sexual harassment. Period. Trying to diverge the context to make it about what the victim looked, sounded, or acted like is basically an attempt to justify the crime, whether it's intentional or not.

By the way, you can rest assured that this "Oh! But she aroused him" argument about sexual harassment is frequently repeated in many places that aren't 1st-world countries. It's unfortunately all too common.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Wow, some people are just bonkers. What a screwed up couple. They deserve each other. I hope they don't have kids. It's one thing to be a mess yourself, but it's not right to subject children to that and warp them, too.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Prisons in Latin America: A journey into hell | The Economist

South American prisons are brutal, filthy and corrupt. Do you have a reason to believe that prison rape doesn't happen there? These prisoners aren't falling in love and having consensual relationships with each other. They're raping each other to show dominance. Most of those prisoners are very homophobic. Gay men are seen as weak and open to attacks.

Swordfall

Prisons in Latin America: A journey into hell | The Economist

South American prisons are brutal, filthy and corrupt. Do you have a reason to believe that prison rape doesn't happen there? These prisoners aren't falling in love and having consensual relationships with each other. They're raping each other to show dominance. Most of those prisoners are very homophobic. Gay men are seen as weak and open to attacks.

When there is equal or more rape in male prisons then female rapes collectively in a country, with nobody really doing anything about it, there is some real irony in contesting the views of rape in another.

Any country that is not endowed with a lot of money or resources is going to have bad prisons. It doesn't matter how prominent religion is. You put Americans in those kind of prisons and they'll eventually emulate the same ruthlessness.

But rape in prison is less common there because even with ruthless criminals, religion is still an enveloping stigma.
And no, it's not always about dominance. In fact, media has vastly exaggerated that. The majority of rape in prison is due, simply, to outright sexual deviance which is often forced because- most people are not simply open to gay sex.

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
When there is equal or more rape in male prisons then female rapes collectively in a country, with nobody really doing anything about it, there is some real irony in contesting the views of rape in another.

Any country that is not endowed with a lot of money or resources is going to have bad prisons. It doesn't matter how prominent religion is. You put Americans in those kind of prisons and they'll eventually emulate the same ruthlessness.

But rape in prison is less common there because even with ruthless criminals, religion is still an enveloping stigma.
And no, it's not always about dominance. In fact, media has vastly exaggerated that. The majority of rape in prison is due, simply, to outright sexual deviance which is often forced because- most people are not simply open to gay sex.

Oh my goodness. So many things wrong with this argument...

Rape is violence. Whether the perpetrator or victim is male or female, enticing or prudish, loud or quiet. Rape is not a form of sex.

And FYI, I have advocated in the defense of male rape victims as well. Repeatedly, in fact, here at RF.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Yeah, no. It is not gay men in prison raping straight guys. :rolleyes:

Apparently your beloved religious morals aren't enough to make a society a better place or keep a person from being a "ruthless criminal".

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Which is a statement that has no point whatsoever.
I don't see human laws doing enough to make the world a wonderful paradise.

Which isn't being claimed. The same can't be said for your religious cohorts. But we see that countries that are more religious are also more violent. So your nonsense about religious morals somehow producing better societies is an utter failure.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Which is a statement that has no point whatsoever.
I don't see human laws doing enough to make the world a wonderful paradise.

I see that you haven't answered the questions I posed to you. It's easier to rattle off unfounded and downright slanderous nonsense than to support it, apparently.

So much for the "divine morals" you claim to advocate.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Where are you getting this "far less homosexuality and prison rape?"

American prisons aren't exactly great themselves. We have money, but our prisons are criminal universities, very violent, and we are the only country that resorts to long term isolation confinement and the only country that will sentence a child to life without parole. We have a very high return rate, and we house over a quarter of the global prison population. The only money involved is the money that corrupts the law and sends people to jail, such as how here someone didn't want to loose money on the timber industry so they pumped alot of money into the system and now we send people to jail for having possession of a viable timber alternative.
And how does religion shield violent people, who have to put on a super-tough-guy image, going to not be raping the weak just because they are "religious?" Hitler was religious, but that didn't stop him from doing the things he did.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Revoltingest,

That human mind....always causing trouble.
My own is a particularly vile offender.
At least I manage to keep from acting out my more violent thoughts.

Speaking in terms of enlightenment it is necessary to understand that 'thoughts' are the barrier which keeps the individual out of connection with the whole and so meditation is a method where thoughts are been kept watch over as any action starts with just a thought and this process even if one controls the action to the thought is not enough in as much as the meditation process is concerned which ends only when no thoughts arise any longer. The state of enlightenment.

Love & rgds