• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rats in the house?

Riders

I found a rat in my bathroom! Yuck! It was sitting close to me but did not touch me. I've got it trapped in there now. What do I do? Should I buy a trap and set it? Is there more rats in here do you think? Do they cause sickness?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
it might be safer to live with the rat, than go to the store and catch covid if you're still not vaccinated. Do you have someone that could bring you a trap??

RestlessSoul

You need to ring a pest controller.

My mum often has rats in her garden (a rat run passes through it) but they never come in the house.

The one you think is trapped has probably escaped now btw; very difficult to trap a rat.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
A cat would be cheaper than the pest controller, and do a better job.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I found a rat in my bathroom! Yuck! It was sitting close to me but did not touch me. I've got it trapped in there now. What do I do? Should I buy a trap and set it? Is there more rats in here do you think? Do they cause sickness?

The rat has probably got out the way it came in.

A cat is more effective than a trap. Rat poison works.

If there is one there are more,

The can pee/poo on your food and they can carry several viruses
Diseases from rodents, pocket pets and rabbits - King County

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
There are baits which don't kill them immediately, but instead send them off in search of water.
A little nasty, but better than some options for the rat, plus a way to avoid dead animals in roof and wall cavities.

Based on experience, you then want to find their access point, fill them with steel wool, then filler, to prevent future incursions (as best you can).

Erebus

a way to avoid dead animals in roof and wall cavities.

This is something you definitely need to keep in mind. I had a dead mouse or rat in a cavity wall that I had no way of getting to without a sledgehammer. It absolutely stunk the kitchen out for weeks.

I use catch and release traps but there are a few things to keep in mind with those. First, you need to be prepared to walk or drive far away from your house and from other buildings. You don't want it to come straight back to your house or take up residence in somebody else's property. That's easy enough for me as I live in a rural area but it might be much more difficult for somebody living in a city.

Second, you need to check for any legal requirements on releasing vermin. There are certain species of mice and rats that are illegal to release in the UK. If you catch one of those, you'd have the unpleasant job of killing it yourself.

Finally, avoid glue traps. They should be illegal in my opinion as there are too many horror stories of mice and rats tearing themselves apart in an effort to get free. Traditional traps or poison would honestly be more humane.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Remove food/water sources. Rats will go elsewhere.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Adopt it and name it Templeton.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
if you have one, you have more that you haven't seen yet.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
You can make a bucket trap, but you need it to be tall enough that the rats cannot jump out. Its recommended to use a 50 gallon drum for rats -- if they're very big. I use a 5 gallon paint bucket to catch mice, and its extremely effective. They can't jump out. If you have a space for it a single bucket trap can keep your house from becoming a nest.

I made my own with a bucket, bit of stiff wire and a soda can; but they available online, too. This one claims it works for rats, though it looks to me a little too short to work perfectly. If you put antifreeze in the bottom it will probably work. Its got to be deep enough that they float and cannot leap from the bottom.
Amazon.com: Drop In The Bucket Multiple Catch Animal Trap For Rodents 1 pk : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Aside from that there are other effective traps. The original mouse traps and rat traps still work, just like in cartoons. The trouble with those is that they only catch 1 and then you either have to clean the trap or toss it. Nasty, but humane. They don't suffer.

Last edited:

Riders

Well, my sister owns the house and she won't call in an exterminator. I leave this house in November or December to move to my sisters garage apartment she has for me. I may just have to live with the rats till I get out of here. I'm a tough old bird I can survive.

Riders

OMG there's another one in my kitchen it looks squirley too. It's gnawing on something maybe the cat food.. I'll wash out the bowl tomorrow and keep the food in it fresh nothing left over for the rats.

Riders

Im calling the exterminator tomorrow. But I won't be able to pay for it till the beginning of the month. Say a prayer for me.............

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OMG there's another one in my kitchen it looks squirley too. It's gnawing on something maybe the cat food.. I'll wash out the bowl tomorrow and keep the food in it fresh nothing left over for the rats.
Now there's a 'squirley' rat? -- are you sure it isn't a squirrel? ;)
Would you make this much fuss over a real squirrel? a mouse? a pigeon?

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Exterminators? Diseases? -- Seriously?
It's just a small rodent, trying to make its way in the world. It's more afraid of you than you should be of it. Remove food sources, plug access holes, and it'll go elsewhere.

Exterminators are expensive and will likely spray poison all over the house; poison that's probably more harmful than a couple rats.
You can borrow a live catch trap, free, from a local Humane Association, Animal Control or animal protection group, and relocate Ms Ratly elsewhere.

Riders

Well, I had an exterminator come by. today. I've got so many holes in the house with crawl space so the rats can get in and work that needs to be done on the house first before he can exterminate that it will be way too expensive for me to get done. So my sister is trying to get me out by November. Hopefully, I'll be out by October or November. I'll tough it out till then.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Well, I had an exterminator come by. today. I've got so many holes in the house with crawl space so the rats can get in and work that needs to be done on the house first before he can exterminate that it will be way too expensive for me to get done. So my sister is trying to get me out by November. Hopefully, I'll be out by October or November. I'll tough it out till then.
God bless you. That's a terrible situation. Maybe some organization can help you.

We Never Know

No Slack

Open the door and throw in a big tom cat. Award the winner with a treato_O

But seriously they are filthy animals that do carry disease. Maybe call pest control to get rid of it and check for others(a nest).