• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rape Victims and Promiscuity

Tobi

Here's one aimed at followers of the Abrahamic religions (Especially those who see premarital sex as a sin).

Basically, rape can be extremely psychologically damaging, and I'm sure nobody disagrees with that.

In trying to deal with the trauma forced on them, rape victims often change their views on self and sexuality dramatically. Some begin to shun the idea of sex under any circumstances, others trivialise it; try to see it as nothing special in order to trivialise what's been done to them. In other words, they become promiscuous.

Most rape victims recover, in time, even if there will always be a psychological scar. But even many years afterwards, those who became "promiscuous" tend to be more open minded than average to the idea of casual sex.

So here's my question: If promiscuity is sinful, and rape victims are more likely than non-victims to live lives of promiscuity after the rape, does that mean that rape victims are more likely than non-victims to burn in hell?
(Also, fellow non-Abrahamic people out there, let's try not to bring up certain quotes from the old testament here, ok? I'm assuming that noone who replies to this thread is going to blame the victim for the rape itself.)

Trey of Diamonds

Where on earth did you come up with this? Rape victims become more promiscuous? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of, not to mention insulting and insensitive.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Where on earth did you come up with this? Rape victims become more promiscuous? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of, not to mention insulting and insensitive.
I can attest to this. I don't know how common it is, but it does happen.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
This is an inane argument. sort of like asking, will a person burn in hell for killing someone in self defense.

Trey of Diamonds

I think it's more common in abuse victims rather than rape victims but I don't know the statistics off the top of my head. But we are still dealing with a horrible generalization that is suggesting the rape victims suddenly want more sex or no longer care who they have sex with. The trauma and recovery of rape and abuse victims is far to complex to be dissmissed this way and ends up trivializing the crime.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I think it's more common in abuse victims rather than rape victims but I don't know the statistics off the top of my head. But we are still dealing with a horrible generalization that is suggesting the rape victims suddenly want more sex or no longer care who they have sex with. The trauma and recovery of rape and abuse victims is far to complex to be dissmissed this way and ends up trivializing the crime.
I didn't get that at all, and I thought I was oversensitive to such things. Why do you think it's a generalization?

My thoughts are that honest discussion is important.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
So here's my question: If promiscuity is sinful, and rape victims are more likely than non-victims to live lives of promiscuity after the rape, does that mean that rape victims are more likely than non-victims to burn in hell?

Well, assuming your assumptions are correct, then yes, statistically speaking, rape victims would be more likely to burn in hell. However, considering the horrible shame these women carelessly allow to come to their fathers and brothers, maybe this is best.

Trey of Diamonds

Why do you think it's a generalization?

In trying to deal with the trauma forced on them, rape victims often change their views on self and sexuality dramatically. Some begin to shun the idea of sex under any circumstances, others trivialise it; try to see it as nothing special in order to trivialise what's been done to them. In other words, they become promiscuous.

This is a generalization and one I doubt has any scientific validity or origin. It the musing of an armchair psychologist inventing symptoms to provide weight to his discussion.

gzusfrk

Christian
I forget the exact verse in the bible but it say's, we all have problem's anyone in here that's got it made in the shade, no health problem's, just great all the time. no worrie's at all,please let me know.And try to be more sensitive to other people's problem's.

Tobi

Of course it's a very complex and personal process, and I'm not in the least trying to trivialize the crime or dismiss the recovery process.

Many rape victims feel like their whole world has shattered, some are driven so far into deppression that they commit suicide months or even years after the rape. I'm well aware of that.

But ask any clinical psychologist, they will say promiscuity is a fairly common trait for rape victims to develop (By no means in all cases, but the trend is statistically significant). That's not generalizing, that's pointing out there's a pattern.

What I'm gunning for is the point that either God will apply different moral rules to these people, often for the rest of their lives, or he will apply the same rules to them as to everyone else, and then there will be people who get to spend eternity in hell because they were victims of a terrible crime.

Trey of Diamonds

But ask any clinical psychologist, they will say promiscuity is a fairly common trait for rape victims to develop (By no means in all cases, but the trend is statistically significant). That's not generalizing, that's pointing out there's a pattern.

And have you? What is your source? Can you provide the statistics? I challenge you to do so because I think you're just saying this because you assume it to be true rather than having actually researched the topic.

Also, define promiscuity? To many, having a healthy sex life is extremely promiscuous. If you are using the term as a Baptist would then I can understand what you mean.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
This is a generalization and one I doubt has any scientific validity or origin. It the musing of an armchair psychologist inventing symptoms to provide weight to his discussion.

No, that's incorrect. Sexual dysfunction and promiscuity are very common for rape survivors. It was true for me, I was extremely promiscuous after what happened to me. I appreciate that you are trying to defend survivors of abuse and sexual assault, but it's well documented that this does happen.

Rakhel

Well, assuming your assumptions are correct, then yes, statistically speaking, rape victims would be more likely to burn in hell. However, considering the horrible shame these women carelessly allow to come to their fathers and brothers, maybe this is best.
I am having a hard time rectifying this statement in my head. Are you saying it is the woman's fault for being raped?

And by the by, No one burns in hell. (Sorry, I sometimes get tired of hearing that.)

gzusfrk

Christian
He jest!

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well, considering that, as an atheist, he doesn't believe in hell, I think it's rather obvious. In poor taste, but certainly not serious.

Tobi

I am having a hard time rectifying this statement in my head. Are you saying it is the woman's fault for being raped?

And by the by, No one burns in hell. (Sorry, I sometimes get tired of hearing that.)
I believe atotalstranger was being ironic, probably because he's too often heard news reports about fathers killing their daughters for "bringing shame on the family" by being raped.

(I'm also aware it wasn't until Jesus meek and mild that we got the concept of eternal damnation in Abrahamic religion. Never the less, Judaism, too, teaches that promiscuity is wrong)

Trey of Diamonds said:
Also, define promiscuity? To many, having a healthy sex life is extremely promiscuous. If you are using the term as a Baptist would then I can understand what you mean.

In this case I simply mean having sex with people you are not in a long term relationship with, whether friends or drunken strangers.

Trey of Diamonds said:
And have you? What is your source? Can you provide the statistics? I challenge you to do so because I think you're just saying this because you assume it to be true rather than having actually researched the topic.

It's easy to find statistics on Child Abuse and promiscuity, though not as easy to find on rape where the victim is over 16.
As to where I formed my own opinion, my main source is my ex-fiancee, who for personal reasons was very well read on the subject.

Anyway, the best I can do for statistics is this, (mainly on child abuse, as I didn't find any numbers on rape in general. The two aren't the same, but they are related.):
  • Children who have been victims of sexual abuse exhibit long-term and more frequent behavioral problems, particularly inappropriate sexual behaviors.
  • Women who report childhood rape are 3 times more likely to become pregnant before age 18.
  • An estimated 60% of teen first pregnancies are preceded by experiences of molestation, rape, or attempted rape. The average age of their offenders is 27 years.
  • Victims of child sexual abuse are more likely to be sexually promiscuous. [SIZE=-4](39, 59, 60, 70)[/SIZE]
  • More than 75% of teenage prostitutes have been sexually abused.
Crime:

• Adolescents who suffer violent victimization are at risk for being victims or perpetrators of felony assault, domestic violence, and property offense as adults.
  • Nearly 50% of women in prison state that they were abused as children.
  • Over 75% of serial rapists report they were sexually abused as youngsters.
Statistics, Prevalence and Consequences of Child Sexual Abuse
That's not a single study, but they cite quite a few.

(Such as these, if anyone wants to bother looking them up:
Noll, J.G., Trickett, P.K., & Putnam, F.W. (2003). A prospective investigation of the impact of childhood sexual abuse on the development of sexuality . Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 71, 575-586.
Saewyc, E.M., Magee, L.L., & Pettingall, S.E. (2004). Teenage pregnancy and associated risk behavior among sexually abused adolescents. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health , 36(3), 98-105. )

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

It's not a generalization. He said that some become more promiscuous, not all. He said that others go a different route. It is true, though, that many times rape victims deal with the act by becoming promiscuous.