• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rape Culture

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I was watching Preacher...a great TV show full of violence, dark humor, & irreverent treatment of Xianity. (It's based upon a violent comic book, so one would correctly imagine that it's really over
the top.) Something happened which got me thinking. (I know.....dangerous ground there.)
A main character was violently raped. It's part of the dark humor aspect. And the reason it can
be dark humor.....he's a guy. I don't recall any shows where women being raped is funny or even
matter of fact. But I've seen innumerable shows where guys being raped is positive, eg, cops
threatening a perp with rape in prison, a tool of justice as it were.

What is the relationship with the "rape culture" which feminists so often address? It would seem there's a 2nd rape culture they ignore, ie, that society condones male rape to a far greater extent.
Some aspects of it.....

1) I've heard women (even my own sister)say that it's good for men to experience this horror which
they perpetrate upon women. (This ignores the fact that some innocent men are raped. Also that
to be raped by someone in one's demographic isn't so much of a wrong.)

2) Our prison system doesn't just inflict punishment ordered by the court....it also tacitly approves of
other punishment, ie, violence & rape inflicted by fellow inmates. This seems a particular problem for men.

3) TV & movies make light of sexual assault of men by women, eg, the archtypical feminist, Murphy
Brown, who violently grabs a co-workers family jewels for comedic effect.

4) Older women having sex with underage boys is considered less of a wrong than older men having
sex with underage girls, ie, a right of passage vs a heinous crime. This does seem to be changing
though.

5) I speculate that because they see society as a "patriarchy", then whatever happens to a man
is no problem because it's all within the group in power. It neglects seeing people as individuals.

6) Your example here: ____________________________________________

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Parenthetical aside.....
It occurs to me that the Men's Issues forum is the only appropriate place to put this because
the Feminist Forum is off limits. There's no generally accessible Women's Issues forum.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
About seeing people as individuals: That's certainly true. But it's also equally true that there is a cultural/societal equivalence. It can be a useful question to consider how an individual is living according to a cultural mileau.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
About seeing people as individuals: That's certainly true. But it's also equally true that there is a cultural/societal equivalence. It can be a useful question to consider how an individual is living according to a cultural mileau.
Could you translate that into English?

Laika

Premium Member
What is the relationship with the "rape culture" which feminists so often address? It would seem there's a 2nd rape culture they ignore, ie, that society condones male rape to a far greater extent.

Your absolutely spot on with this one. A friend of mine did a dissertation on Male Rape as part of his law degree and I remember reading it a while back. Male Rape is still taboo, probably because of homosexuality, but also because of toxic "masculinity". A Man who gets raped may often be thought of as "feminine" and so "deserves" it. There is a strange gender based attitude that "real men" dominate and women are submissive, so its often thought that men who can't or aren't able to fight back are at fault somehow as a form of victim-blaming.

Rape of males | Wikiwand

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I agreed with part of what you wrote but not all of it. You too often ignore that groups are as real as individuals.
Oh, you big silly.....I don't ignore the existence of groups at all.
Ironically, this thread is all about groups, particularly men, media mavens, cops, & feminists.
I steer perception of groups back in the direction of individuals so that they're not lost.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
6) Your example here: ____________________________________________

Thoughts?

once had a conversation with an Assistant District Attorney about a sexual assault case he was once prosecuting. A man was sexually assaulted by a woman. He said the hardest part was that everyone from the judge to the police, thought it was funny. He said the only thing that seemed to make any of them to stop laughing was when they saw how small the man actually was, about 5'5" tall and how big the woman actually was, 6'1" tall. And even then many were not taking the case all that seriously.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Parenthetical aside.....
It occurs to me that the Men's Issues forum is the only appropriate place to put this because
the Feminist Forum is off limits. There's no generally accessible Women's Issues forum.
You can always start a thread about it in general discussion or general debate about it. That's where all of the feminist issues were before the feminist forum. Rape culture affects us all.

DavidFirth

once had a conversation with an Assistant District Attorney about a sexual assault case he was once prosecuting. A man was sexually assaulted by a woman. He said the hardest part was that everyone from the judge to the police, thought it was funny. He said the only thing that seemed to make any of them to stop laughing was when they saw how small the man actually was, about 5'5" tall and how big the woman actually was, 6'1" tall. And even then many were not taking the case all that seriously.

It is hard for many men to believe that a man had to actually be forced into having sex. The erection simply doesn't happen unless the man is at least aroused somewhat or drugs are involved. (Yes, there are drugs out there that actually induce an erection.)