• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racism

Ellen Brown

Racism exists everywhere in the world. Just listen and observe and you will see it. America is not the only place where it exists. It is hard to talk about it in America because even referring to another race in common terms will get stones thrown at you. I think it has gone over the top, round the bend, two stops past Barking and all that. How can these issue be resolved if we can't talk openly about them?

If I say the word "******" to illustrate that there is a problem, someone will accuse me of being racist, and it sickens me.

I spent over 7 years living as an observant Muslim, and in America most Muslims are "of color". Perhaps you think that the Muslim population in America is all immigrants, but many of the Muslims here were brought here during the Slaving years, and remained after the end of Slavery began to take place. Sadly, the Slavery mentality is still ending in America, and I hope that one day it will be over.

When I was in Honduras working, it became obvious that there was the Native population, and the Spaniards who were mostly the upper class. It was a strong division too.

I saw the same in Kenya though it was largely tribal, and political. Is there racism in Israel? Ask an Arab Bedouin? The Israelis I was around were nice, but some I saw were straight up jerks who were now doing the same sorts of things to others that Hitler did to them.

Just trying to get through life by speaking plainly and simply.

Milton Platt

Racism exists everywhere in the world. Just listen and observe and you will see it. America is not the only place where it exists. It is hard to talk about it in America because even referring to another race in common terms will get stones thrown at you. I think it has gone over the top, round the bend, two stops past Barking and all that. How can these issue be resolved if we can't talk openly about them?

If I say the word "******" to illustrate that there is a problem, someone will accuse me of being racist, and it sickens me.

I spent over 7 years living as an observant Muslim, and in America most Muslims are "of color". Perhaps you think that the Muslim population in America is all immigrants, but many of the Muslims here were brought here during the Slaving years, and remained after the end of Slavery began to take place. Sadly, the Slavery mentality is still ending in America, and I hope that one day it will be over.

When I was in Honduras working, it became obvious that there was the Native population, and the Spaniards who were mostly the upper class. It was a strong division too.

I saw the same in Kenya though it was largely tribal, and political. Is there racism in Israel? Ask an Arab Bedouin? The Israelis I was around were nice, but some I saw were straight up jerks who were now doing the same sorts of things to others that Hitler did to them.

I agree that every ethnicity holds predjudices against many things, including other ethnicities. It’s a failing of human nature. Perhaps it’s roots are in our distant past when tribalism was the norm.

I don’t care for,the word “race”. There is only the human “race”, if you will.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

IMO, we shouldn't go about trusting folks we don't know. Doesn't matter what color of skin they have. The problem Is being trusting of folks because of the skin color. Just because you have the same skin color doesn't make you a trustworthy person.

We should view strangers equally without trust being that we have no reason to trust them. I'm I prejudice against folks I don't know, yeah because I don't know them. No reason to trust a Christian anymore than a Muslim or atheist.

Can we get to a point of equal distrust? I don't know, people assume familiarity where they shouldn't. It's a mistake to think I know you just because you are of the same skin color as me. Or same religion.

We should be prejudice, it's natural to be prejudice. The problem as I see it is that we are being prejudice for all of the wrong reasons.

Flankerl

The Israelis I was around were nice, but some I saw were straight up jerks who were now doing the same sorts of things to others that Hitler did to them.

Israeli - Palestinian conflict
1965 - Today (54 years)

25.000 deaths from both sides combined

462,96 deaths per year
1,26 deaths per day

Einsatzkommando 3 in Lithuania
4th July 1941 - 25th November 1941 (172 days)

137.346 murdered civilians
of those 57.338 adult male Jews
48.592 adult female Jews
29.461 Jewish children
and 2.058 non-Jews (Mentally ill, POWs, "Communists", Clergy, etc.)
0 dead German SS members or Lithuanian Fascists

798,52 murder per day
33,27 murder per hour
0,55 murder per minute

I rest my case.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Wow, you’ve been to a lot of different places! I think that is helpful in life. Good for you.

I love meeting different people....in fact, I seem to get along better with people of other cultures than my own.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

I use the word 'prejudice' because it covers all kinds of human bigotry.

Forty years ago our government gave tenants of government owned houses (council houses) the opportunity to buy their own homes at very favourable prices.
Over night some of these families became dreadful snobs, fencing off their front gardens, painting their homes to show that they were no longer 'council-tenants' and becoming aloof from those around them.

Instant bigotry dividing neighbours!!......... and so the long journey away from Sexism, Racism, Nationalism, etc was clearly going to be a long hard trek.

Humans do tend to veer towards elitism and bigotry and so we need to focus much more on introducing good lesson plans in to junior education in a best attempt at reducing this.

Xax

Racists are disgusting, it shouldn't matter what colour your skin is, we are all humans.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
"Racism" * has been around as long as the hills in that there's a tendency to distrust people who look and act different that what we're used, and part of that may well be in our genes as a protective measure. Integration tends to diminish this, according to numerous studies, but how we are brought up, including what we call "institutionalized racism", can even override that.

* in anthropology, we tend not to use the word "race" when dealing with humans but we will use the term "racism" as that latter term morphed over recent decades.