• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

qur'an burning in Florida

.lava

Veteran Member
The burning is cancelled.

really? oh, thank God! :D i am so glad it is

edit: it is on the news here as well. seems he gave it up after he was promised about that mosque that's planned to build near grand zero would be cancelled too

Last edited:

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
One thing that I don't understand is that American flags are burnt in some parts of the world on what seems like a weekly basis and you don't see Americans who love their country freaking out about it...

The pastor's plan to burn the books was reprehensible, but isn't there something of a double standard here?

Some people were calling for blood (in Afghanistan for instance people burned an American flag and chanted "Death to America" and "Death to Obama") and even started throwing stones at a US convoy (though that incident was ended peacefully).

Why throw stones at American troops who have NOTHING to do with burning the Quran, or cry for the death of Obama who also has nothing to do with it -- in fact, Obama was trying to stop the pastor from going through with it!

What would the world be like if America started going overseas and bombing all the places where people have burned American flags? It would be completely ridiculous.

I just don't get it, I'm completely at a loss. I would never wish death or physical harm on anyone that burned a symbol of something I loved. I love America but I respect people's rights to burn an American flag if they disagree with American policy. I also disagree with a lot of American foreign policy, especially under the last administration.

I certainly wouldn't start throwing rocks at any Afghan I saw if an Afghani burned an American flag -- that's just 100% idiotic.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Throwing rocks at people is a charming and rich part of many foreign cultures that us ignorant Americans could never understand or appreciate due to our cultural bankruptcy.

ZoyaHayat

Divine Female Power
a pastor in florida says he is going to burning copies of the qur'an this saturday because he blames the muslims for 9/11...
this makes as much sense as blaming the republican party or the catholic church for the oklahoma city bombing timothy mcVeigh was responsible for...
any thoughts?

Waitasec i feel it is not right to burn any Book...be it a religious Book or a fictional Book...Books contain education...and disrespecting knowledge(by burning or by any other act) and associating it/them with a set of particular people-i feel is not right...

I mean one cant blame one's actions just because of a Book?...

:) xxx

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
Ok, so freedom stops at physical harm, but emotional harm is not a problem. That's the collective understanding from what i read here.

The freedom to harm to protect freedom is ok too. I think i get it now.:rolleyes:

so because you get your feelings hurt it is ok to retaliate with violence...
is islam a religion for the childish?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Waitasec i feel it is not right to burn any Book...be it a religious Book or a fictional Book...Books contain education...and disrespecting knowledge(by burning or by any other act) and associating it/them with a set of particular people-i feel is not right...

I mean one cant blame one's actions just because of a Book?...

:) xxx

it's not the book....is it?
it is being insulted by this ignorant idiotic imbecile.... and unfortunately he has the right to be an idiot

still, religion sucks

no religion no problem

Arav

Jain
no religion no problem

This is like saying if there were no swords then there would be no violence. Swords only cause a small amount of overall violence, but remember there are knifes, axes, guns, and such. Take away religion and all the problems dont dissapear.

This problem (book burning issue) was not caused by religion, but by ignorace, as all problems are cause by this. Therefore the conclusion should be: "No Ignorance, no Problems"

ZoyaHayat

Divine Female Power
it's not the book....is it?
it is being insulted by this ignorant idiotic imbecile.... and unfortunately he has the right to be an idiot

still, religion sucks

no religion no problem

Totally agree with you-wish there was no religion at all...but unfortunately religion has evolved through time and we cant conceal it...

I myself dont believe in any religion(i am religion-less) but on the other hand i believe in all the religions...i dont segregate at all...so to me the burning of any Book is not right...and to generalise a particular group or religion is not fair either...

xxx

waitasec

Veteran Member
This is like saying if there were no swords then there would be no violence. Swords only cause a small amount of overall violence, but remember there are knifes, axes, guns, and such. Take away religion and all the problems dont dissapear.

This problem (book burning issue) was not caused by religion, but by ignorace, as all problems are cause by this. Therefore the conclusion should be: "No Ignorance, no Problems"

religion is used to justify in justices
that is undeniable

look at the current state of affairs....

religion is dangerous it perpetuates the negative

sure it sometimes helps humanity
but that is like putting lipstick on a pig

Arav

Jain
religion is used to justify in justices
that is undeniable

look at the current state of affairs....

religion is dangerous it perpetuates the negative

sure it sometimes helps humanity
but that is like putting lipstick on a pig

Ignorant Humans are the problem, religion has done nothing and therefore should not be blamed. So if someone told me to kill someone and I did, it would not be my fault but the one who told me to do it? No, its my fault. I did the action.

Ignorant people should be blamed, not religion. Anything can be manipulated and used for justification, but that is not the fault of that which is being used. Even if a religion blatently said "Kill everyone", its the people who are killing not the religion. Its the people who would be ignorant enough to follow such a rule who make it an issue. Do you understand where I am comming from? You make good points, but I disagree with a few.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Ignorant Humans are the problem, religion has done nothing and therefore should not be blamed. So if someone told me to kill someone and I did, it would not be my fault but the one who told me to do it? No, its my fault. I did the action.

The notion that the one who does the action bears the entire responsibility for it is a notion that plays well on paper but doesn't do nearly so well in reality. Human motivation is more complex than that model would predict, which is why even the law recognizes that someone can have aided and abetted a crime by giving the criminal encouragement to commit his or her crime.

waitasec

Veteran Member

Ignorant people should be blamed, not religion. Anything can be manipulated and used for justification, but that is not the fault of that which is being used. Even if a religion blatently said "Kill everyone", its the people who are killing not the religion. Its the people who would be ignorant enough to follow such a rule who make it an issue. Do you understand where I am comming from? You make good points, but I disagree with a few.

you can't run away from ignorant humans that is for sure
imagine a world without any religion
without any justification from a supreme deity that's on "your" side...

andys

Andys
To address the original topic of this thread, I just wanted to point out that it is incorrect to compare the attack on 9/11 with the Oklahoma bombing.

While Timothy McVeigh was a Catholic, he did not explode his bomb in the name of Catholicism. The Muslim extremists did, in fact, attack the infidel United States in the name of their beloved Islamic religion. Indeed, this attack inspired the widespread contempt for the religion of Islam that so many people harbour to this day.

But do not forget for one minute that the seemingly benign Catholic religion is no better. When it enjoyed the same theocratic stranglehold over it subjects as Islam enjoys today, it was no less bloodthirsty and intolerant.

Fortunately, democracy prevails over theocracy in North America and the terrible oppression of the Catholic Church's rule has been greatly reduced. (Although its disregard for molesting children, its contempt for homosexuals, its regard for women as second class, its obstruction of birth control to third world counties, are only some of the remnants of its previous glory days.)

The attack on 9/11 was nothing more and nothing less than a religiously inspired act of retaliation against the perceived "infidel nation" of the United States of America.

While the individuals who carried out this violent plan are considered "extremists", it is relevant to note that their beloved prophet, Muhammad, who single handedly created the Koran, was no less an extremist. He was a ruthless military commander who initiated merciless raids and wars against innocent peoples whom, he alone, judged to be infidels. Terrible atrocities are described in graphic detail in historical accounts of his reign of terror. For the reader not familiar with the religion of Islam, it is critical to understand that while the Koran is the Muslims' holy book, considered to be the word of god spoken directly through Muhammad, there is another book that is considered essential reading in order to fully appreciate the Koran—the Hadith. This account focuses on the life and actions of Muhammad. It is considered the model of behaviour to which every Muslim should aspire.

So if the 9/11 terrorists are to be condemned for their extremist acts of terror, I must point out that their prophet was an excellent role model and a most inspiring teacher.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
To address the original topic of this thread, I just wanted to point out that it is incorrect to compare the attack on 9/11 with the Oklahoma bombing.

While Timothy McVeigh was a Catholic, he did not explode his bomb in the name of Catholicism. The Muslim extremists did, in fact, attack the infidel United States in the name of their beloved Islamic religion. Indeed, this attack inspired the widespread contempt for the religion of Islam that so many people harbour to this day.

But do not forget for one minute that the seemingly benign Catholic religion is no better. When it enjoyed the same theocratic stranglehold over it subjects as Islam enjoys today, it was no less bloodthirsty and intolerant.

Fortunately, democracy prevails over theocracy in North America and the terrible oppression of the Catholic Church rule has been greatly reduced. (Although its disregard for molesting children, its contempt for homosexuals, its regard for women as second class, its obstruction of birth control to third world counties, are only some of the remnants of its previous glory days.)

The attack on 9/11 which was nothing more and nothing less than a religiously inspired act of retaliation against the infidel nation of the United States of America.

While the individuals who carried out this violent plan are considered "extremists", it is relevant to note that their beloved prophet, Muhammad, who single handedly created the Koran, was no less an extremist. He was a ruthless military commander who initiated merciless raids and wars against innocent peoples whom, he alone, judged to be infidels. Terrible atrocities are described in graphic detail in historical accounts of his reign of terror. For the reader not familiar with the religion of Islam, it is critical to understand that while the Koran is Muslims' holy book, considered to be the word of god spoken directly through Muhammad, there is another book that is considered essential reading in order to fully appreciate the Koran—the Hadith. This account focuses on the life and actions of Muhammad. It is considered the model of behaviour to which every Muslim should aspire.

So if the 9/11 terrorists are to be condemned for their extremist acts of terror, I must point out that their prophet was an excellent role model and a most inspiring teacher.

this makes about as much sense as blaming the republicans for what timothy mcveigh did..get it..it doesn't make sense

religion is dangerous. period.