• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions I need to ask someone of another religion for an assignment. Please help me.

ferrari28

Someone PLEASE HELP ME!:help:

Hey guys I am new to this forum. I am a Catholic student in Grade 11 and have been given a final assignment to interview someone from either Judaism, Primals, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism or any other religion not related to Catholicism. It must be an adult who has authoritative knowledge through study, long term practice and who has great devotion.

What is your name? First name is fine.
1. What religion do you practice and how did you come to practice it?
2. The frequency and types of prayer the person engages in?
3. How often do you worship? Why do you worship? What do you preform during your worship services?
4. What do you believe is the best lesson your religion teaches?
5. What do you most disagree with about your religion, if anything?
6. What is one thing about your religion that affects your daily life and family life?
7. What does your faith teach about the nature of God or ultimate reality?
8. What does your faith teach about the truth of the human person? (ex. You are not who you think you are.)
9. What does your religion teach about the nature of the world?
10. What is your favorite religious text or passage? What is one story/message from this text that you remember having a strong impact on yourself?
11. Do you try to tell others about your religion? How might someone better understand your faith? In your opinion, what is the most common misconception about their faith?
12. Areas where your faith comes into conflict with modern culture?
13. Have you ever questioned your faith?
14. How are you raising you children in this faith, if you have any?
15. What are your beliefs on the after life?

SERVICE QUESTIONS:
16. What does your religion require or encourage regarding service to the community? What do you do? Why is this service work an important expectation in your religion?
17. Some examples of how your religious community benefits from providing service to those in need.
18. What kinds of attitudes, values and behaviors does your religious culture encourage?
19. What are some elements of service that your community might be neglecting?
20. Ways to serve that you would like to explore in the future.

If you complete these question then THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
What is your name? First name is fine. Melanie
1. What religion do you practice and how did you come to practice it? I am a Methodist Christian - I used to be Roman Catholic. I love many aspects of Catholicism but I have a bit of a problem with the doctrine of papal infallibility.
2. The frequency and types of prayer the person engages in? I pray a couple of times a day, casually. I pray more formally in church, especially on communion Sundays.
3. How often do you worship? Why do you worship? What do you preform during your worship services? My family attends church once a week. We enjoy the messages from the pastor and appreciate what he teaches, the music, and the fellowship with other Christians. We sing hyms, listen to our bell choir and regular choirs, and we have a beautiful pipe organ that is pretty impressive. We put a lot of focus on children in our services as well, and I really like that.
4. What do you believe is the best lesson your religion teaches? Love God and love your neighbor as yourself.
5. What do you most disagree with about your religion, if anything? I don't have any disagreements about it.
6. What is one thing about your religion that affects your daily life and family life? We make family decisions based on Christian principles. We also give money and time to causes that are generally religion based.
7. What does your faith teach about the nature of God or ultimate reality? God is totally holy and omnipotent.
8. What does your faith teach about the truth of the human person? (ex. You are not who you think you are.) We are children of God and made in His image.
9. What does your religion teach about the nature of the world? The world is made to glorify God.

MORE LATER - GOTTA GO COOK DINNER!

themadhair

Possibly the most accurately answered and most useless reply:
None. It just happed when I began to question the ideas I’d been taught as a child.
N/A
3. How often do you worship? Why do you worship? What do you preform during your worship services?
N/A
N/A
N/A
6. What is one thing about your religion that affects your daily life and family life?
N/A
N/A
8. What does your faith teach about the truth of the human person? (ex. You are not who you think you are.)
N/A
N/A
10. What is your favorite religious text or passage? What is one story/message from this text that you remember having a strong impact on yourself?
The Zoroastrian Vendidad. It is one of the few religious texts that display a moral relativism, and to find such ideas in a text of this age really gave me pause for thought.
11. Do you try to tell others about your religion? How might someone better understand your faith? In your opinion, what is the most common misconception about their faith?
N/A
Having no religious beliefs makes it more likely for me to question ideas that other people have adopted. This can out some people out of their comfort zone when they have to confront the possibility that an idea they had previously adopted may not be objectively correct or defensible.
N/A
I would likely raise my kids without reference to faith or religious ideas.
N/A

SERVICE QUESTIONS:
16. What does your religion require or encourage regarding service to the community? What do you do? Why is this service work an important expectation in your religion?
N/A
17. Some examples of how your religious community benefits from providing service to those in need.
N/A
18. What kinds of attitudes, values and behaviors does your religious culture encourage?
N/A
N/A
N/A

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger

Brian
Monism, from the study of many religions and denial of them as well as the common threads amoung many of them

Prayer is not required, but should be done when needed... it is a matter of what you pray to.

Worship is all the time since it is expirience and understanding. I "worship" for I am here. There are no "services" just deeds and actions.

ONENESS

There is no agreement nor non-agreement in Monism.

Daily life, I do not know. Family life, I am not like those in my family when it comes to what we believe.

There is but ONE which is ALL and NOTHING.

Existance is a by product of "being" and "knowing". It matters not

The world was created, will be destroyed, and does not exist though it does.

I guess I would say all and none, though the Rig Veda comes to mind. Being and Non-being.... the VOID.

I tell others when they need or want to hear it, I do not force it on any. To understand my faith is to know it. The most common misconception is that we do not believe in GOD.... we merely view it from a completely different perspective.

Most everywhere due to Theism

I have always questioned my "faith", then I found what I believe to be true; though "truth" does not exist.

I do not have any, but have been married and been with another who has children. They would be raised Christian/Catholic since their mothers were... yet, when they were old enough to ask and wonder about other things; I'd be free to teach them. They could become whatever it is that suited them.

You live it, it will be to come, it does not exist....

SERVICE QUESTIONS:
N/A

Choose what they are by your deeds and actions.....

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Hiya ferrari28,

What is your name? First name is fine. Paul
I am a modern mystic and follow no religion created by the human animal. They all have crumbs, but their loaves turned to dust long ago. I came to my "path" via deep personal experiences that turned my ideas of self and reality right on their head. As the decades have passed I have never looked at the world, myself or reality quite the same way since.

I do not pray and actually discourage the practice. One oddity is however that I will occasionally project a thought at a "future" portion of myself for advice on how I dealt with a given event in its "past". Though far from accurate, it always gives me food for thought. Not prayer, by any stretch, but just simply asking questions to a probable aspect of self.

3. How often do you worship? Why do you worship? What do you perform during your worship services?
I do not worship any form of deity. I have written, at length, on the absurdity of such ventures as, in my view, they merely reinforce the concept of separation between subject and object. Personally, I just giggle at the thought of separation.

I guess the best "lesson", although I object to the term, is that we have all the time we need to get where we are going. There's no rush and lots of room for adventures and boatloads of fun.

Well, nothing is written in stone. If I don't like something I can always change or change my circumstances to fit my desires, so dislike or disagreement doesn't really enter into it.

Compassion and a wicked wit.

In short, you are that which you seek, pretty simple, really. All being, and I mean ALL being, everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE, are manifestations of IT, right down to even the inanimate, the support structures, dark energy and dark matter. They are all manifestations of IT. All That IS is IT... including all that is not. "So, Tag! You're IT!"

I think I covered this in question 7. In short, I see what gives rise to human personality to be an open system, without end. There is no finished, final perfection, in other words. There is only growth and change. Best get used to it you are going to be doing it for a very long time.

The physical universe exists pretty much as science describes it. I have no issues with the scientific method whatsoever. Non-physical "reality" is another kettle of fish however and the realm of theoretical physics may eventually unlock hitherto unknown aspects of this in the decades to come.

I don't go in for religious texts, per se; irrelevant claptrap for the most part, imho. But I have always rather liked "If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.” Replace the word faith with knowledge and then you’re cooking with gas.

Again, it is not a religion. They can better understand by understanding themselves. The biggest misconception is that it is something unusual. I rather suspect that the reason why people have not discovered it is that the path is really quite simple. All you need do is examine your beliefs, note how they both form and support your thoughts and are validated by your personal experience, which of course further reinforces said beliefs. It’s a bit of a vicious circle. In some ways, it is unlearning what you think you know, although others may think it is akin to opening Pandora's Box. Suffice to say that those who are not ready are unlikely to attempt this.

There are few conflicts with modern culture, although my experience does tend to slam against more primitive cultures rather hard.

In the context of the question, yes, of course, but one must balance certainty with a healthy dose of doubt. It is my opinion that when you go off too far in either direction that life gets considerably more complicated. With too much certainty one could eventually setup their own failures, whereas with too much doubt one may never get around to actually doing anything at all.

No kids. If I did have children however, I would encourage them to think for themselves and not to leave the "spiritual heavy lifting" to others. Overall, I would not expect them to be little clones of myself as they would be their own persons with their own unique view of reality.

It exists, but you can pretty well forget everything you have ever read on the subject, lol. I do however completely understand that I could be quite wrong. From my experiences thus far, I have good reason to doubt that so-called life ends at the physical grave.

*shakes fist at the 10,000 character limit*

(continued below)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
SERVICE QUESTIONS:
I have been remiss in this department. After 53 years I figure it is time to give back however and have begun taking classes in counselling. My next hurdle will be to volunteer at the local crisis centre. That is due to start on May 29th. By all accounts, those who have encouraged me think I will be an asset. It is daunting though, as there is so much to learn and unlearn.

In the fall I will also be investigating doing volunteer work for a local literacy agency, probably in a tutoring capacity. I have very strong feelings about empowering people to affect change in their own lives -- for the better.

To date, I have always been the person that people tell their problems to. For some odd reason, people confide in me. I don't quite understand it myself, but nonetheless, I try to help where I can and when I can't help I endeavour to point people in the right direction.

I have no rules on values per se, not to say that I don't have values, but my values are not the same as anyone else’s. I also have very relaxed ideas about morality. I do appreciate truthfulness although I am not above lying if I see a distinct need. (Stress on need.)

I also admire people who commit to action. IF you say you are going to do something, then do it. On a personal level, I greatly enjoy people who "tell it like it is" and do not mince words with phoney platitudes. Contrary to others, I don't follow the "love everyone" band wagon, as I feel that is quite unrealistic and can create unnecessary guilt. Natural guilt is one thing, self-created guilt is quite another. By all means, try to get along with people, but do also try to remain realistic.

This is too broad a topic to cover adequately. I am afraid that I can't help everyone, so they will just have to form a queue. On this note, I am also not known for championing of a given cause and tend to frown on many such overt demonstrations. I will sometimes give money to people on the street, but if you want a few bucks for your charity, I will generally say, "No."

I believe I have already covered this. As I become more proficient at counselling, I will of course be focusing more on psychology and endeavouring to be a better communicator by speaking more concisely.
Thank you for asking some rather interesting questions.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
What is your name? First name is fine. Christine
1. What religion do you practice and how did you come to practice it? I am a Christian of the Baptist persuasion.
2. The frequency and types of prayer the person engages in? I pray a lot. I also pray during services.
3. How often do you worship? All the time Why do you worship? I believe that God is deserving of it. What do you preform during your worship services? At Church services, there is singing and preaching. Alone, I pray.
4. What do you believe is the best lesson your religion teaches?Mercy and forgiveness
5. What do you most disagree with about your religion, if anything? There are a few non biblical things taught, such as not listening to secular music. I see no harm in it.
6. What is one thing about your religion that affects your daily life and family life? I don't really know.
7. What does your faith teach about the nature of God or ultimate reality? That God is the creator of the universe.
8. What does your faith teach about the truth of the human person? (ex. You are not who you think you are.) That we are created in God's Image
9. What does your religion teach about the nature of the world? They teach that the world is sinful.
10. What is your favorite religious text or passage? What is one story/message from this text that you remember having a strong impact on yourself? I really enjoy the Book of Ruth in The OT and The Gospel of John in the NT.
11. Do you try to tell others about your religion? How might someone better understand your faith? In your opinion, what is the most common misconception about their faith? That the most important thing about my faith is love- that we should love God, Our neighbors, or brothers and sisters in Jesus, and even our enemies. There are a lot of misconceptions about my faith, but I can understand too well why they have them.
12. Areas where your faith comes into conflict with modern culture? No premarital sex, modesty, and things of that nature.
13. Have you ever questioned your faith? Of course, on occasion.
14. How are you raising you children in this faith, if you have any? I mostly let my children make their own choices, but I did teach them about my faith.
15. What are your beliefs on the after life? That our spirits return to God who gave it.

SERVICE QUESTIONS:
Christianity is supposed to give to charity, feeding hungry and that sort of thing. Different groups have different requirements. Jesus commanded His followers to do this.
17. Some examples of how your religious community benefits from providing service to those in need. I am between Churches now, so I don't really know anything specific, but it always includes witnessing to non-believers.
18. What kinds of attitudes, values and behaviors does your religious culture encourage?Benevolence, mercy, love
19. What are some elements of service that your community might be neglecting? Taking care of the poor.
20. Ways to serve that you would like to explore in the future.By doing more for the community that I have no time for now (being that I am a parent)

Your welcome. I hope it is at least somewhat useful for you.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
What is your name?
Amy
Unitarian Universalism. I found it after a search for a church/religion that focused on social justice, religious diversity and reason. UU fit perfectly.
I don't really pray, but I do try to meditate from time to time to calm and center myself.
I wouldn't really say what I do is worship. I attend services a couple times a month, I would go more if my schedule allowed.
Be who you are.

Nah, and if I did it would be ok because difference of opinions is welcomed.

I have a much greater awareness of how what I do affects others, even the little things, i.e. respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

That it is up to each person to decide and figure this out for themselves.
That each person has inherent worth and dignity.
We are all a part of nature and should take care of it and respect it. When we hurt the earth, we hurt ourselves.

This changes all the time.

11. Do you try to tell others about your religion? How might someone better understand your faith?

I do if they ask. I do not proselytize, but am willing to share my beliefs if someone is interested. I think if someone wanted to learn more, they should visit a UU church and ask questions.

In your opinion, what is the most common misconception about their faith?
That we believe all religions are true and that people can just believe whatever they want.
Nope, not really. We're progressive and willing to change with new insights.
No.
Yep, I have 2 children.
I am agnostic on whether there is an afterlife or not. I don't know, and neither does anyone else.

See also, 100 Questions about UU
SERVICE QUESTIONS:
Unitarian Universalist Service Committee

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
10. What is your favorite religious text or passage? Psalm 25:- 6Remember, O LORD, thy tender mercies and thy lovingkindnesses; for they have been ever of old.
7Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions: according to thy mercy remember thou me for thy goodness' sake, O LORD.
What is one story/message from this text that you remember having a strong impact on yourself? The words "tender mercies" applied to God's love for me - that whole concept blows me away - that the God of the universe would actually feel tenderness and mercy towards me. It's amazing!

11. Do you try to tell others about your religion? How might someone better understand your faith? In your opinion, what is the most common misconception about their faith? I do tell others about my faith, in the context of my daily life. I don't stand on a soapbox and preach at strangers. Someone could better understand my Christian faith by opening their heart and mind before picking up the bible - by approaching the bible with respect rather than skepticism.
12. Areas where your faith comes into conflict with modern culture? Premarital sex, abortion, homosexuality, adultery, immodesty, immoderation, greed, selfishness, laziness to name just a few areas.
13. Have you ever questioned your faith? Yes
14. How are you raising you children in this faith, if you have any? I have raised five children. I made them attend church with me till they were in their mid teens. After about age 15 I allowed them to choose their own religious services to attend, but I did insist that they attend some sort of religious service or study each week. I taught them the basics of Christian doctrine and also sent them through confirmation, made sure they attended other events such as Christian summer camp, vacation bible school, sunday school, etc. Raised them with a good mix of music, which included Christian music, both contemporary and ancient. Traveled extensively with them and made sure to include religious history when we were traveling, especially through Europe.
15. What are your beliefs on the after life? I believe in a literal heaven and hell. I believe our souls are immortal.

SERVICE QUESTIONS:
16. What does your religion require or encourage regarding service to the community? What do you do? Why is this service work an important expectation in your religion? Methodists in general are very active in their communities, including volunteer work. We have many food drives and community improvement projects that our church does. Lots of outreach to the needy, the elderly, etc. Our family also volunteers sometimes at the local shelter. We tithe. We also give to individuals that we run across who may need help.
17. Some examples of how your religious community benefits from providing service to those in need. We are an example of living Christian values in our community. Our church and denomination are known to be very open and welcoming to all members of the community.
18. What kinds of attitudes, values and behaviors does your religious culture encourage? Respect for others, servanthood, generosity, forgiveness, kindness, nonjudgmentalism, etc: Galatians 5: 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

19. What are some elements of service that your community might be neglecting? We tend to avoid situations that would include drug addicts or gang members.
20. Ways to serve that you would like to explore in the future. I would like to personally be more involved in Pro Life work.

Last edited:

BruceDLimber

Greetings! :)

Here are your answers:

0. What is your name? First name is fine.

Bruce Limber

I’m a Baha’i.

The short answer? Great good fortune! :)

I encountered the Faith in North Dakota (of all places!), looked into it, was impressed and continued investigating and researching it, and six months later became Baha’i. :) :) :)

That was over 37 ½ years ago, and I’ve been a Baha’i ever since!

Usually twice daily (one of which is an obligatory prayer).

Our scriptures state that work—one’s profession—when performed in a spirit of service to humanity, ranks as worship of God!

Most Baha’i communities don’t have “services” as such, though many do hold prayer meetings or other devotional meetings.

Our primary internal meeting we call the Nineteen-day Feast, which happens—what else?—every nineteen days, and has three parts: devotional, administrative, and social.

Our most central teachings, which are what we call the “Three Onenesses”:
· The Oneness of God,
· The oneness of humanity, and
· The common foundation of all the great religions, which are all stages in a single ever-evolving faith, the Faith of God!

Not applicable.

Daily prayer and participation as a Baha’i in various online religious forums.

(I also use a considerable portion of my spare time editing & proofreading online books for the Baha’i Library project.)

God is the Creator, and is All-loving and All-bountiful. In His love for humanity, He periodically sends Divine Messengers to guide us and to renew religion.

I quote from the Baha’i scriptures:

"Man is the supreme talisman. Lack of a proper education hath, however, deprived him of that which he doth inherently possess. Through a word proceeding out of the mouth of God he was called into being; by one word more he was guided to recognize the Source of his education; by yet another word his station and destiny were safeguarded. The Great Being saith: Regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value. Education can, alone, cause it to reveal its treasures, and enable mankind to benefit therefrom."

—(Gleanings, CXXII, pp. 259-260)

Everything God created is good, and indeed our scriptures state that the purpose of the world—indeed, of all creation—is for our spiritual training and education!

“O SON OF JUSTICE!
“Whither can a lover go but to the land of his beloved? and what seeker findeth rest away from his heart’s desire? To the true lover reunion is life, and separation is death. His breast is void of patience and his heart hath no peace. A myriad lives he would forsake to hasten to the abode of his beloved. “
─The Hidden Words, Part Two, #4

Some Answered Questions, a volume of Baha’i scripture discussing many different topics!
[continues]

BruceDLimber

As often as possible!

We have many books (including 200 volumes of scripture) and a bunch of web sites where folks can discover more information! We’re also frequently listed in the White Pages under Baha’i Faith.

There are no particular misconceptions.

If you want to call it “culture,” we are in some ways very liberal (e.g., equality of races and women) and in others definitely conservative (such as chastity and marriage laws).

Every day, which is why it’s become so strong over the past nearly four decades!

Baha’is have the obligation to instruct their children about ALL the great religions and how they’re all legitimate and of God (Baha’i schools assist in this).

Then when the child reaches the age of maturity (15), he or she has the right and the option to become Baha’i, something else, or nothing whatever, and parents MAY NOT interfere in this decision.

We raised our son this way; and when the time came, he decided to be a Baha’i. He’s now grown and on his own.

The Next Life definitely exists, and EVERYONE goes on to it! One’s initial status there depends on how well each person has acquired the spiritual virtues which it is our purpose here and now to acquire!

Heaven is spiritual nearness to God; hell, spiritual separation. As such, they exist here and now as well as after death, and every one of us is in one or the other right now as a function of where our heads are (and in this life, can switch between them in an instant).

Our scriptures also assure us that God, in His infinite Love and Mercy for us, will assist every individual—even those initially most remote from Him—eventually to draw near to Him (Heaven).

SERVICE QUESTIONS:

It encourages such service, and Baha’is have various such projects. Each of us does what he or she can do best in this respect.

And in aggregate, we operate schools in various parts of the world that teach things like professional development, equality & advancement of women, and literacy.

This all falls under the general rubric that work done in a spirit of service to humanity ranks as worship of God!

In the obvious ways!

BTW, I should point out that these benefits are NEVER financial because contributions to Baha’i Funds are accepted from enrolled members ONLY! We don’t ask for or accept money from non-Baha’is. (If someone insists on contributing anyway, we’ll happily forward that money to a non-Baha’i charity such as UNICEF or the Red Cross.)

Love, unity, peace, harmony, and concord among all humanity, and values reflecting these!

(And in comparison, things strongly forbidden include, for example, backbiting and armongering/aggression. We also don’t use alcohol or recreational drugs.)

Hard to say. We endeavor to do what we can, and are always open to seeking more paths of service.

I’m pretty well limited for time these days (in part due to the considerable time I’m spending on the Baha’i editing projects, but always welcome new service opportunities!

BTW, you can find out more about the Baha’i Faith at these sites:

Best regards, :)

Bruce

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
What is your name? First name is fine. Joe

Christian. It was what I was raised as, but during my teen years I strayed from it and studied many other religions because at the time Christianity did not fit me. As I grew older and more mature Christianity just started making more sense to me so I decided to go back to it.

Almost everyday, sometimes I do not get around to it, but I try to at least once per day. When I pray I talk to God as if He was a parent or friend. I am quite frank and do not beat around the bush too much.

3. How often do you worship? Why do you worship? What do you preform during your worship services? I do not attend a physical church. I worship in my home studying the Bible. I have friends over on a regular basis for Bible/religious discussions, that would be the closest thing to church I participate in.

4. What do you believe is the best lesson your religion teaches? God's love for us.

5. What do you most disagree with about your religion, if anything? Gay rights, a lot of Christians are against the gay community on this issue. I believe we as a human race have more important things to worry about then keeping the gay community down.

6. What is one thing about your religion that affects your daily life and family life? Everything. Christianity is a lifestyle. Not just a religion.

7. What does your faith teach about the nature of God or ultimate reality? God is the loving and caring father that watches over all of us.

8. What does your faith teach about the truth of the human person? (ex. You are not who you think you are.) That depends, some people are who they think they are, God has a purpose for some people unbeknown to that person(s).

9. What does your religion teach about the nature of the world? It can be a cruel place, but you can do your part to make it better.

10. What is your favorite religious text or passage? What is one story/message from this text that you remember having a strong impact on yourself? The story of King Solomon and the two mothers. 1st Kings 3: 16-28

11. Do you try to tell others about your religion? How might someone better understand your faith? In your opinion, what is the most common misconception about their faith? I only tell people who ask about it first, if I am speaking to a non-believer. If I am speaking to a current believer it is just about all I speak of. Most common misconception is that people Fear God. This is not true. God wants your Love. You cannot love someone who you fear. Give God your love instead of fear and see just how much your life changes.

12. Areas where your faith comes into conflict with modern culture? Only against secularist who try to prevent me from worshiping.

13. Have you ever questioned your faith? When I was a teen. But as I got older the questions and doubts lead to undeniable truths as an adult.

14. How are you raising you children in this faith, if you have any? I do not have any children as of yet. I would raise them as a Christian, though not force them into it if at some point they decide they do not want to be Christian anymore.

15. What are your beliefs on the after life? If you pass judgment from God you live eternally with Him in the Kingdom of Heaven, doing whatever you please. Personally I plan on exploring the universe.

SERVICE QUESTIONS:
16. What does your religion require or encourage regarding service to the community? What do you do? Why is this service work an important expectation in your religion? I help people when I am able to. In whatever way I can.

17. Some examples of how your religious community benefits from providing service to those in need. No clue. Other than the satisfaction of knowing you helped to make the world a better place if only for 1 person.

18. What kinds of attitudes, values and behaviors does your religious culture encourage? Love, Forgiveness, Compassion, Loyalty, Conviction.

19. What are some elements of service that your community might be neglecting? Too many to list.

20. Ways to serve that you would like to explore in the future. The only better way for me to serve would be to start up a church. While I enjoy studying and discussing the Bible I am a horrible teacher. So starting up a church would not be right for me. I serve the best way I can at the moment. Maybe in the future God will give me a different way, and if so I shall accept it.

would you like me to make something up to make your sample size larger or only true one's?

ferrari28

would you like me to make something up to make your sample size larger or only true one's?

If it is accurate then I don't see why not. Thank you so much!
Also thank you to everyone else for your responses they are much appreciated.

Zephyr

Moved on
What is your name? "Beloved Yahweh is Gracious Judge" but you can call me Dave.

1. What religion do you practice and how did you come to practice it? Asatru/Irminenschaft/Odinism, though I usually just go by the generic term "Heathen". I actually first came across it thanks to an old Asatruar member here.

2. The frequency and types of prayer the person engages in? Prayers aren't required, but often Heathens can meet up from anywhere from once a week to a month or so. We generally give sacrifices to the gods, drink and make oaths, and having readings from our texts.

3. How often do you worship? Why do you worship? What do you preform during your worship services? I sort of unofficially "worship" every day by giving to the land-spirits with every meal. I do it because without them I wouldn't be able to get by, so it never hurts to pay back. Worship isn't the best term though, since among Heathens the gods and spirits are our kin, not rulers.

4. What do you believe is the best lesson your religion teaches? The importance of the family. When Heathens speak of "Faith, Folk, and Family" we really mean it.

5. What do you most disagree with about your religion, if anything? Nothing with the religion, though I disagree with many of my fellow Heathens. We tend to attract lots of Nazis, being a Germanic faith. Also, some things you just can't take literally (See question 9).

6. What is one thing about your religion that affects your daily life and family life?Well I suppose the ultimate goal of just living a good life and supporting the folk and family plays into almost everything I do.

7. What does your faith teach about the nature of God or ultimate reality? Even the gods are mortal and will die at the Ragnarok. They are not omnipotent, nor omniscient, and are only even pseudo-immortal thanks to Ostara's (or Iðunn's. The gods' names change by language) apples.

8. What does your faith teach about the truth of the human person? (ex. You are not who you think you are.) We are the children of the gods. We are not slaves, toys, or creations, but part of their family.

9. What does your religion teach about the nature of the world? This is where things get fun. The universe is made of 9 worlds, and we live in Midgard, surrounded by a giant wall to keep giants out. That's if you take the myths literally, of course... For a less literal message, the world is really one of conflict. The Eddas teach of us being surrounded by things that would do us harm, but we just have to persevere.

Stanzas 76-77 of the Havamal really ring out as important:

Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies
Of one who has done well

Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
But I know one thing that never dies,
The glory of the great dead

They make it clear that we shouldn't worry about any afterlife, and should instead focus on the now, since that's what will live on when we inevitably die.

11. Do you try to tell others about your religion? How might someone better understand your faith? In your opinion, what is the most common misconception about their faith? I generally see religion as a personal matter, but if somebody is curious I will answer any questions. Generally though we get grouped in with other Pagan groups (like Wiccans) which is rather unfortunate, since Asatru is a reconstructionist faith rather than true Neopaganism.

12. Areas where your faith comes into conflict with modern culture? Well, it's a folk religion, which doesn't ring well with all too many people. Think of it like Orthodox Jews. You don't just "convert" to be a Heathen. You start as one of the folk and choose to pursue your folk faith.

13. Have you ever questioned your faith? Not really. It's interesting, because I just haven't found much to question. By taking most of the myths as stories to learn from, a lot of weird inconsistencies go away.

14. How are you raising you children in this faith, if you have any? I don't have any children yet, but my fiancee, a pretty folkish Dutch Agnostic, feels that we should simply raise our kids aware of our culture and leave it to them if they want to find a religion. Teach Heathen morals, not Heathen religion, pretty much.

15. What are your beliefs on the after life? The majority of us will go to Hel. This isn't bad though, since Hel is just a pretty chill place where the dead go to live not unlike they did on Earth. Kind of chilly, but not an issue. Outstanding individuals might find themselves in one of the gods' halls (Valhall being the most famous, for great warriors). For instance, as a musician, my highest honor in the afterlife would be to find a place in Brego's (or Bragi's. It's that name thing again.) hall, though in all likelihood I'll end up in Hel. I'm satisfied with that though. Oathbreakers, kinslayers, and other especially bad people might find themselves in Nastrond, which is rather unpleasant (unless you happen to like getting chewed on by a dragon).

SERVICE QUESTIONS:
16. What does your religion require or encourage regarding service to the community? What do you do? Why is this service work an important expectation in your religion? Anything that benefits the folk is a good thing. Be that having a family, helping each other out, or even just not screwing anything up, it's all good. Faith, Folk, and Family.

17. Some examples of how your religious community benefits from providing service to those in need. By helping each other, we help ourselves. When we help members of the folk, Heathen or otherwise, we are helping the folk as a whole.

The Nine Noble Virtues:
Courage
Truth
Honour
Fidelity
Discipline
Hospitality
Self Reliance
Industriousness
Perseverance

Also, the Nine Charges are pretty relevant:
1.To maintain candour and fidelity in love and devotion to the tried friend: though he strike me I will do him no scathe.
2.Never to make wrongsome oath: for great and grim is the reward for the breaking of plighted troth.
3.To deal not hardly with the humble and the lowly.
4.To remember the respect that is due to great age.
5.To suffer no evil to go unremedied and to fight against the enemies of Faith, Folk and Family: my foes I will fight in the field, nor will I stay to be burnt in my house.
6.To succour the friendless but to put no faith in the pledged word of a stranger people.
7.If I hear the fool's word of a drunken man I will strive not: for many a grief and the very death groweth from out such things.
8.To give kind heed to dead men: straw dead, sea dead or sword dead.
9.To abide by the enactments of lawful authority and to bear with courage the decrees of the Norns.

19. What are some elements of service that your community might be neglecting? Well, I'm still working on that whole "reproducing" thing.

20. Ways to serve that you would like to explore in the future. If I were a rich man, it'd be nice to spread that wealth among the folk somehow, but as it stands, I work to keep food on the table.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Someone PLEASE HELP ME!:help:

Hey guys I am new to this forum. I am a Catholic student in Grade 11 and have been given a final assignment to interview someone from either Judaism, Primals, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism or any other religion not related to Catholicism. It must be an adult who has authoritative knowledge through study, long term practice and who has great devotion.

What is your name? First name is fine. Bodhifranciscotutulitiomanoholistiumika the III. But you can call me Clif. -NM- 1. What religion do you practice and how did you come to practice it?
At the moment it's Zen Buddhism. After I left Christianity I searched for a reality based religion and came across the teachings of Shunryu Suzuki and went from there. -NM-
2. The frequency and types of prayer the person engages in? There is no prayer in Buddhism that would be directed toward any Deity, but there is reverence and veneration relayed through ritual and prostration. In a sense, one "prays" to self/no-self as an undifferentiated and indisguishable whole. -NM-
3. How often do you worship? Why do you worship? What do you preform during your worship services? There is no worship as such but rather prostrations, chanting, sitting and walking meditation, sometimes a dharma talk and tea. Sitting meditation (aka Zazen) should be a daily discipline. Most sit around 30 minutes to an hour. At times there is sesshin which usually is a week long in duration involving intense protracted sitting and walking meditation. This usually takes the form of a retreat, and in many cases require preparations and time to attend as participants are normally housed at the temple or monastery for this. As to why this is done becomes apparent over time. -NM-
4. What do you believe is the best lesson your religion teaches? I heard once that the best lesson is to become nothingness. The religion points the way, and you do the teaching.
-NM-
5. What do you most disagree with about your religion, if anything? Kapok filled cushions can make you sleepy. -NM-
6. What is one thing about your religion that affects your daily life and family life? Experiencing realisation. -NM-
7. What does your faith teach about the nature of God or ultimate reality? This is not addressed but rather is left up to personal perspective. Buddhism deals with what works, not what "could" work. It's a pragmatic religion. -NM-
8. What does your faith teach about the truth of the human person? (ex. You are not who you think you are.) You are a manifestation of ego. Not the Freudian version but rather ego is comprised of what is referred to as aggregates. -NM-
Consistent change. -NM-
10. What is your favorite religious text or passage? I would say the Heart Sutra.-NM- What is one story/message from this text that you remember having a strong impact on yourself? "Form is emptiness; emptiness is form; form is not other than emptiness; emptiness is not other than form." -Heart Sutra-
11. Do you try to tell others about your religion? No. Not proactively as such the case found in various prostelyzation efforts. -NM- How might someone better understand your faith? By first understanding it's not a faith. ;) -NM- In your opinion, what is the most common misconception about their faith? Sorry don't follow this....:confused: -NM-
12. Areas where your faith comes into conflict with modern culture? I will have to say not applicable here. Besides this is a bit too general. Modern culture can mean a myriad of things. -NM-
13. Have you ever questioned your faith? Only the faith of Christianity which obviously caused me to explore another path. -NM-
14. How are you raising you children in this faith, if you have any? N/A
15. What are your beliefs on the after life? Living it right now. -NM-

SERVICE QUESTIONS:
16. What does your religion require or encourage regarding service to the community? What do you do? Why is this service work an important expectation in your religion? This varies from school to school but there are various humanitarian efforts and chaplaincy programs one could undertake. Not much different from a number of religions in this regard. I try to be compassionate and help others when I can. -NM-
17. Some examples of how your religious community benefits from providing service to those in need. :) -NM-
18. What kinds of attitudes, values and behaviors does your religious culture encourage? Be compassionate. -NM-
19. What are some elements of service that your community might be neglecting? The neglectful elements of service. -NM-
20. Ways to serve that you would like to explore in the future. That would depend on the weather. -NM-

Okie Dokie. :)

What is your name?

(i never reveal my true name on the web so just call me bill)

lets see wich religion han't been picked yet .. islam

5 times a day:
How to Perform the Salaat - Islamic Prayer

ones a week
According to the Qur'an, mankind was created only for the purpose to worship God (Qur'an 51:56).
prayer and teachings

there is no compulsion in religion. Men choose their path - allegiance or opposition - and it is sufficient punishment for those who oppose that they draw further and further away from the light of truth.

the reputation some have given it in its name

the amount of prayer and the bias to others over previous mentioned rep

According to the Qur'an, mankind was created only for the purpose to worship God

----

It is God who raised the skies without support, as you can see, then assumed His throne, and enthralled the sun and the moon (so that) each runs to a predetermined course. He disposes all affairs, distinctly explaining every sign that you may be certain of the meeting with your Lord

and

Creator of the heavens and the earth from nothingness, He has only to say when He wills a thing: “Be,” and it is

"Except those who repent, believe and do good deeds: (for) those Allah will exchange their sins for good deeds. Allah is extremely Forgiving and Merciful." (Surah Furqaan: 70)

that everyone supports the jihad

halal meat
and hajj

yes

no kids

a final judgment on judgment day and then
the 72 virgins paradise or burning in a blaze

SERVICE QUESTIONS:

recruite new members
spread the word
life honerable

free advertisment of there religion
giving people a commen goal to solve is good for moral

islamic vs. muslim values

go to Hajj once in a lifetime, abstain from cursing and abusive language, abstain from backbiting, go to masjid on Fridays for jum'a prayer,

go to hajj

np

ferrari28

Thank you to everyone who has responded. For anyone who still hasn't responded, or would like to expand, I would be very grateful if you could expand on the service section.

What are your religion's espected duties to serve your neighbor, community and God?
How is this done?
How have you served in your community?

Thank you in advance

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend ferrari 28,

Use any name of your choice as all names are just LABELS.

Practice no organised religion in any organised manner.

Never pray.

Never worship.

No lesson as one needs a mind to learn lessons and here it is all to still that very mind.

No mind, no disagreement or agreement.

Nothing except the unconsciousness.

No teachings. One is already in nature.

Humans or any forms and no-forms meaning that what we see or do not see are all the same, come from the same source and goes back to the same source.

One is part of that.

no mind, so no impact.

11. Do you try to tell others about your religion? How might someone better
understand your faith? In your opinion, what is the most common misconception about their faith?
No never try and tell anybody.
ABout their faith, it is theirs. Best Wishes.

None.

Have no faith to question

No children

Life is always HERE-NOW> There is no AFTER life. Only the body that is energy gets transformed to other forms of energies.

SERVICE QUESTIONS:

Whatever comes to your mind. If not nothing.

Only they can answer.Personally there is no giver or taker.

Drop the MIND itself along with that any attitude, values etc.

Same as Ans 17.

None

Love & rgds