• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions for Atheist

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Scientific method

- Ask a question

- Do research

- Construct a hypothesis

- Test with an experiment

- Analyze data and draw conclusions

- Communicate results
This is not "the scientific method "
In many fields of science it is fundamental. But the main scientific method is to gather empirical evidence and use it to figure out what is true.
When the answer is "Nobody knows ", that remains the answer until someone comes up with proof. Proof is "compelling evidence ". Anything that cannot, at this time, be subject to falsifying is not a scientific issue.
Tom

Kirran

Premium Member
3)We are talking about climate change and things of that nature. Honestly I would put into question some of the dates, because can someone with 100% conviction say exactly when something was written or built and be for certain correct?

Climate change, yeah. OK, maybe you might argue that the Roman Empire didn't fall in X year but actually fell a few years earlier, but you wouldn't say there was no Roman Empire.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What is the purpose of life?

How did the atoms that created the big bang get there?

What was before the big bang theory?

If matter has always been there what caused them to react?
I don't know. Which always seems to surprise some theists. As if admitting lack of knowledge means a concession to gods. But it's not. I don't need all the answers to think 'god did it' is a lazy non-answer to current physics and cosmological questions. An argument from ignorance (re: god of the gaps). Much the same way as those who don't understand atmospheric physics might then conclude that gods cause lightning. If all your god is, is the ever receding pocket of scientific mystery, then be ready to have that god undone at every new discovery.

Can matter produce information?
Matter is information.

How did consciousness come from matter?
Consciousness is a function of matter in certain arrangements. It happened through evolutionary processes.

What happens when we die?
Our self-identity is destroyed (barring some science fiction recording of our brain function) along with the platform it runs on. Much the same as what happens to a program on a computer when the computer tower is destroyed.

Outside of radiometric dating what other methods prove millions of years?
Measuring light from stars, ice core dating (which records isotopes but isn't a radiometric dating method), fission track dating and molecular clock method.

There are also many, many different types of radiometric dating which creationists discount out of hand because they don't know how it works. They see that using radiocarbon14 dating on a fossil produces inaccurate results and conclude that means radiometric dating is useless. When all that really means is the halflife of carbon isotopes are too short to be used to date fossils, which is why they aren't used to date fossilized materials, and are instead used to date more recent organic materials. Instead, mother isotopes with much longer halflifes are used for fossils and rocks, such as potassium, argon, uranium, samarium, rubidium and lead datings.

Do theories regarding the past involve some form of assumption that the earth has always maintained the same conditions as we do today?
No.

Can Life come from something that is not alive?
Yes. 'Life' as already been pointed out, is very loosely defined. A machine which can self-replicate, repair, construct new machines and gather resources is 'alive' in the strictest sense. As for abiogenesis specifically, yes, we've seen the synthesis of all the parts necessary for life. And although we can't exactly duplicate the specific situations that caused the chain reaction for the first self-replicating peptides (in much the same way we can't recreate the exact situation which produces any individual snowflake), we've seen nothing that would obstruct that chain reaction from occurring.

What test can be ran to prove evolution?
There is no 'proving' in science. You can no more prove evolution than you can prove cell theory, germ theory of disease, or gravity. You can only make more and more dynamic theories which describe their tenets. But you can test evolution. http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/dangerous-ideas/2008/feb/18/can-evolution-be-tested/

Do all living things have genetic information? If so, would not new information be required for the process of evolution to take place?
New genetic information happens every time duplicitous insertions, retroviral insertions, or unique gene switching happens. But no, new information is not required for evolution. The entirety of the avian line started with a gene which modified scales into feathers. It wasn't new information, just a unique revision of existing information.

Because evolution requires individuals to be gaining knowledge and getting better over time, how do we explain the very intelligent individual in the past?
Evolution doesn't require individuals to be gaining knowledge and getting better over time. It just requires survival. A stupid person in a productive group will survive just as well as a smart person alone. What constitutes 'better'' in evolution is not so simple as an extreme specialization of a single idealized trait.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Because evolution requires individuals to be gaining knowledge and getting better over time, how do we explain the very intelligent individual in the past?
Evolution doesn't require any such thing. Evolution doesn't require anything at all.
Evolution is the results of natural processes. Nothing more, nothing less. It's as natural as a stone falling to earth, just vastly more complex and often counter intuitive. The truth about many things is counter intuitive, such as the earth being a tiny speck of mostly molten rock hurtling through the void.
Tom

Tiberius

Who says life has some purpose set by an external entity?

The Big Bang was caused by atoms, was it? Citation needed.

Before is a description of time, and time is a dimension of the universe. Thus, there could be no time unless the universe existed. And thus asking what was "before" the big bang is meaningless. You might as well ask what is north from the north pole.

I
f matter has always been there what caused them to react?

Can you be more specific? There are many kinds of reactions. Are you referring to a particular kind of reaction in particular?

Since I am made of matter and I am creating this post which consists of information arranged by letters in a manner consistent with the English Language, I'd say yes. Matter can produce information.

Dunno.

That does not mean that God is the answer. It's always better to admit you don't know than to make up an answer.

Lots of things. They just don't involve us.

If you are asking what happens to us when we die, as in where does our consciousness go, then I don't know. Where was your consciousness a hundred years ago? Didn't exist? That's just what it will probably be like after we die.

The life cycle of stars. Tectonic drift.

Do theories regarding the past involve some form of assumption that the earth has always maintained the same conditions as we do today?

Pretty much. But with good reason. If the laws of the universe had been different, we would see things that don't make sense.

Yes. Your living body is made of proteins, carbohydrates, etc, and they are not alive.

Genetic similarities between different organisms, nested hierarchy...

Do all living things have genetic information? If so, would not new information be required for the process of evolution to take place?

As far as I know, all living things have genetic information. Evolution is capable of duplicating genes and then altering those duplicated genes.

Evolution requires no such thing. It requires only that you be good at making babies.

jonathan180iq

Great... Another creationist thread attempting to poke holes in the entire theory of knowledge...
There's no time like the present, I suppose.

There isn't one.

I don't know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_myth
Before people started relying on evidence to base their ideas about reality, we just invented all kinds of zany and imaginary stories. Those were later supplanted by a bunch of educated theories that are based on evidence, thank god. Without a standard, which is what the scientific method provides, people would still feel justified in claiming that their belief in an invisible sky fairy who wishes things into existence would be legitimate.

Things react all the time due to a combination of natural forces acting upon them.
What causes rain to fall? Is it a natural force and phenomenon, or is it the magic invisible man?

Matter is information...

What's your standard for consciousness?

We cease living.

Before radioactive dating, geologists used a process called relative dating. Things that are lower down are obviously older. Outside of a few geological exceptions, old things can't move up through new things. Over a couple hundred years, large geologic chronologies were developed, helping geologists age new finds based on what was around them. Radiometric dating has helped to refine that practice, correct a few errors, and make the whole practice much more precise.

These chronologies are enhanced by extrapolating organismal generations and studying genetic lineages. So biology plays a role here too.

Cosmological discoveries also coincide with geologic and biological timelines, interestingly enough. It takes time for light to travel anywhere. The distances between the stars, and our study of their movement, allow us to trace their trajectories back to an earlier period, before humans existed and before our own solar system even came into being.

There's lot of things to suggest that the Earth is not merely 6,000 years old. I know that disturbs certain dogmas.

I hope you come to learn that the creationist idea of "Historical Science" is not actually a thing... It's an invention by creationists to help them justify their position.

When you find evidence that the natural laws were somehow different only 6,000 years ago, then we can talk.

Yes. You first have to decide what your standard for calling something "alive" is... But the answer is still going to be "yes".

Lots of them - a much easier thing to do, if you're certain of your position, is to falsify an evolutionary claim. Evolution is nothing more than descent with modification, which is something that you observe every single day.

Don't believe me?
Tell me, are you your grandmother?

If the answer is no, then you have personally experienced descent with modification.

Once you begin to recognize and understand how biology works, then you'll begin to understand that there's no physical or natural barrier to that descent with modification. Nothing keeps your species from not only being unlike your grandmother, but unlike the previous version of your species. Over time, populations separate and are exposed to different variables that they must endure in order to survive. Surviving offspring from population A are going to be different from population B... We see this happening all the time. If you doubt that, it's only because you aren't paying enough attention to the studies that have been going on for hundreds of years now.

Ask yourself where skin color comes from. Where prominent facial features come from. Where body size comes from... Evolution, my man. Evolution.

Yes.
New information is introduced to every offspring of every single generation... We aren't sloughing around, reproducing asexually, are we? Once sexual reproduction came about, evolution was kicked into high gear, so to speak. It's because of sexual reproduction that life on this planet has become so varied and adaptable. Getting it on has saved our lives!

....Uh, you don't know what you're talking about here.

Subjective intelligence has nothing to do with ecological fitness.

Evolutionary changes aren't something that happen over just a few generations. Humans have been at our current evolutionary station for quite some time. There's no real different between the people of a few thousand years ago and the people of today.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Can your prove your theories with the scientific method.
Science does not really have a concept of "proof" as such. The scientific method is the best available means for learning about the real world, though.

(...)

We could seek an anthropological or even biological question, but that is not really a matter of science, don't you think?

Get there from where?

Atoms are formed by nuclear forces from subatomic particles.
You mean before the Big Bang? I am not very interested in Cosmology, but as I understand it it was probably some form of singularity that collapsed on itself.
Physical laws. Same as now.
This is a loaded question with poorly defined concepts.

I ask you to elaborate on it, but in a nutshell: sure. That is why it is possible to have storage devices.
It seems to be based on chemical reactions and electromagnetism. Again, not really an area I am well informed about.

We rot. And other people take our place and inherit and take charge of our roles in society, hopefully giving them their own spin.

Of lifeforms, you mean?

You may want to take a look at talkorigins.org if you mean the question seriously.
Again, that is a loaded, poorly-defined question. Do you want to elaborate on it, perhaps give some examples?

In all likelihood, if what we have learned of organic chemistry is any indication.

Which were ran to evidence it, you mean?

Frankly, if you don't know, then you should not ask laypeople. And if you know, than I don't think it reflects well on you to pretend ignorance.

In any case, talkorigins.org is again your friend. Or, I suspect, your foe.

Do all living things have genetic information?
All living things that have genes, certainly. It depends a bit on how you define a "living thing", which is not as clear-cut as it may seem at first.
If so, would not new information be required for the process of evolution to take place?
No. You are working under a deeply flawed understanding of what is genetic information. It is mostly random, even accidental.
No, because your premise is contaminated by the faulty understanding of evolution hinted by the previous question.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
[quote2

To get old enough to transmit genes to the next generation.

Atoms appeared after the big bang.

The steady state theory,

Define matter and reaction.

Fuzzy. Define precisely both.

Nobody knows, since we have no clue about consciousness.

The same that happens before we were born.

The speed of light.

I beg your pardon?

Sure.

Look at a mirror and compare what you see with the picture of a gorilla.

They have genetic information eaxctly because of the process of evolution.

Are they still alive?

Ciao

- viole

Altfish

Veteran Member
OK, I'll have a go. WARNING, I'm not expert and am happy to be corrected by more educated scientists...

I don’t know but why does it need a purpose?
But each member of each species has a mission to produce the next generation and pass ones genes down.

Atoms were created AFTER the Big Bang

I’m not sure I understand this question….
Do you mean “What was before the Big Bang?” In which case we are not sure, it possibly started with a singularity. But it can be argued that time started with the Big Bang. To be honest it is up for debate and discovery – exciting isn’t it?
OR
Do you mean “What did scientists believe before the Big Bang Theory?” In which case there was no consensus but the Steady State is an alternative.

The law of conservation of mass or principle of mass conservation states that for any system ... The law implies that mass can neither be created nor destroyed. Why should they not react?

Possibly, yes.

I don’t know

Where were you in 1850? Well, when you die it will be similar, you won’t be there BUT hopefully people will remember you and maybe even talk fondly of you as they look at your photograph.

This is slightly strange why are you disqualifying the best method? It is like me asking you “Outside the bible what evidence do you have for god?”
However, we can measure the age of the universe by Knowing the current speeds and distances to galaxies, coupled with the rate at which the universe is accelerating, allows us to calculate how long it took for them to reach their current locations. It works out at 14 billion years old.

No

Apparently it can, it has been replicated in a laboratory

It can be seen in action over relatively short periods. Have you heard of the peppered moth?
Why do you think antibiotics are becoming less effective?

Yes.
New information is created by mutations which are one of the mechanisms of evolution

Evolution does not “…require individuals to be gaining knowledge and getting better over time.” Evolution favours species that best adapt to the changing environment around them.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Can your prove your theories with the scientific method.
I'm an atheist, not a scientist.

To live. To be alive is the purpose of life.

I have no idea.

Per my meger understanding, there was no "before."
The question makes no sense.

No. Matter is information. Matter can produce more matter/information can produce more information.

I don't believe it did. If we're conscious of matter, then it's obvious which came first (chicken/egg). (That's a joke.)

Mostly, we die.

I don't think even radiometric dating proves "millions of years." It's only a technique for measuring radiation. It's mostly the building of a chronology from evidence (geological, regional, cultural, fossil) that demonstrates age.

I seriously doubt it.

A dead seed turns into a living tree.

Record living things. Then come back in a while and record them again. Repeat for at least three or four dozen generations.

In the Twentieth Century, the majority of African elephants had tusks. Poachers have been systematically eliminating the elephants with tusks. Now the elephants that are tuskless are becoming the majority, with each new generation.

No new information is required.

Evolution has no such agenda. It's no better or worse, just different.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

You realise it's entirely possible to be ignorant of science, or for s ience to be without answers, and still be an atheist, right?

I'd like to believe I would have been an atheist prior to the theories about the Big Bang being commonly accepted, for example.

Regardless, I thought I should respond to this one point. Evolution doesn't suggest people will get 'smarter' or 'better' as time persists. Why do you think it does?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm still trying to figure out what the questions have to do with atheism. Maybe the OP could explain? I'm also curious... why atheists to begin with? What's the interest there?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Back to the OP...

Scientists are comfortable saying "I don't (yet), know" when asked difficult questions. Many religious folks appear to be uncomfortable not knowing answers to important questions, and many religions claim to have answers. I think saying "I don't know" is better than pretending to know.

A big part of science is about learning enough about things so that you can make reliably accurate predictions. Often scientists don't have formal proofs, but they have mountains of evidence that support their theories. This very internet, upon which we are communicating, is built using some scientific theories that don't have perfect proofs, but that have reliable and consistent data.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
In the Twentieth Century, the majority of African elephants had tusks. Poachers have been systematically eliminating the elephants with tusks. Now the elephants that are tuskless are becoming the majority, with each new generation.
Same thing is happening here. Big game animals like elk and moose, with impressive antlers, are selected against by hunters with rifles. So modern herds tend not to have such impressive racks.
Tom

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm still trying to figure out what the questions have to do with atheism. Maybe the OP could explain? I'm also curious... why atheists to begin with? What's the interest there?

In some respects it makes sense to me. many theist believe they have an answer for questions on purpose or creation of life.

Atheists are the most readily identifiable group that disagrees.

I wouldnt read more into it than that, although atheists and theists alike sometimes conflate atheism and science, which is...well...I find it strange.

kaoticprofit

When I look at a burrito, I see design and a mind behind it's creation. Some people create really bad ones, some people really good ones. In any case, I see it took certain ingredients and a certain method to accomplish the creation of a burrito. Compare a galaxy to a burrito. My burrito wasn't created by a bunch of ingredients on account of a big bang in the kitchen. Who created the ingredients? It took the mind of man to come up with the technology to make something from natural resources as simple and tasty as a burrito. So if a burrito is man made, then what makes you think a galaxy, all of which are similar in design, just like my burrito, was a mindless accidentally made as sophisticated as they are?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Serious answer to all questions: I dont know.

We dont have to know everything

Thats the key to wisdom or higher power is when you get older and realize you know nothing* (pun intended)

If you are believe in a higher power feel free to add more questions to the thread. I want to hear what an atheist has to say on these questions. Can your prove your theories with the scientific method. please explain

Scientific method

- Ask a question

- Do research

- Construct a hypothesis

- Test with an experiment

- Analyze data and draw conclusions

- Communicate results