• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions about alcohol

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Im underage I don't plan on drinking alcohol while underage so mods dont take this down. I won't be discussing any illegal activity or plan on breaking the law im just curious. If you reading this under the age of drinking in your country don't drink while underage. In 5 months it'll be legal for me to drink. I'll be 21. That thought crossed my mind so then I started having questions. So here they are:

1. How alert are you typically if you just get buzzed not like extremely drunk drinking? I don't plan on drinking even once I am of age cuz i dont like the idea of dulling my mind.

2. It's a sedative. That means it slows down your brain right? I've had morphine when in the hospital. It slowed my brain down. But it slowed it down differently then when i was on prescribed pills for ADHD. Do different types of alcohol slow the brain down differently? Do different types make your brain feel differently then if you drank another type? Like if you drank wine does it differ from beer in terms of brain feeling? Are they similar in some ways?

3. What are the main types of alcohol and how are they different from one another? What they taste like?

4. Whats the best part of drinking? Worse?

Last edited:

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
All I remember from my drinking days about the high is that alcohol always made me really happy, so I would drink more and more so I was more happy.

The worst part is that you might like alcohol more than you should. Many people have drunkenness as a priority. Once spent half my rent on booze...

It’s bad on your body.

As with most substances, a bad part is that it increases your serotonin and dopamine. In the short run, you feel happier. In actuality every time you drink you are digging yourself into a hole in which when you are to deep you won’t be able to access the natural serotonin and dopamine on the outside.

Alcohol is no different than cigarettes. Better to never start than chance becoming addicted. If you don’t experience the high, you will never desire it. You may desire it now, perhaps out of curiosity, but it is different once you experience it and want more of it.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
1. I’m fairly alert when buzzed. This will likely differ person to person, though

2. I don’t think there’s that much difference in terms of slowing down the brain, as it were. Though there are plenty of cocktails that purposely mix in energy drinks to I guess “combat that”
That said, I haven’t had one of those since my clubbing days.

3. Beer. Wine and spirits. Basically. I dislike beer in general (which might be considered sacrilegious in my country lol)
Wines differ in taste. Typically red wines have a bolder richer flavour. Whites are a bit lighter and usually served cold.
Among spirits is where there is larger diversity, I suppose. Bourbon has a taste somewhat similar to Dr Pepper to be honest. Rum usually has a very rich taste. Vodka doesn’t always have a strong taste. I guess depending on which brand you go with.
Gin tastes rather bitter. Though I will admit to preferring bourbon/rum so I’m not the best person to ask
That all said, home made tastes a hell of a lot better than store bought. After you have that, you realise just how much added chemicals the stores use

4. Best is the buzz
Worst is the hangover lol

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Im underage I don't plan on drinking alcohol while underage so mods dont take this down. I won't be discussing any illegal activity or plan on breaking the law im just curious. If you reading this under the age of drinking in your country don't drink while underage. In 5 months it'll be legal for me to drink. I'll be 21. That thought crossed my mind so then I started having questions. So here they are:

1. How alert are you typically if you just get buzzed not like extremely drunk drinking? I don't plan on drinking even once I am of age cuz i dont like the idea of dulling my mind.

2. It's a sedative. That means it slows down your brain right? I've had morphine when in the hospital. It slowed my brain down. But it slowed it down differently then when i was on prescribed pills for ADHD. Do different types of alcohol slow the brain down differently? Do different types make your brain feel differently then if you drank another type? Like if you drank wine does it differ from beer in terms of brain feeling? Are they similar in some ways?

3. What are the main types of alcohol and how are they different from one another? What they taste like?

There is only one kind of alcohol. There are many versions of how it is mixed, and many liquids which contain it. The strength (percentage of the liquid that is alcohol) varies.

People react differently to it. Some folks have high tolerance, some have no tolerance. Some get hangovers, some don't. Emotions vary as well ... sleepy, angry, happy, depressed, stupid ... and more. You will have to experiment some personally to find out what happens to you.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
People react differently to it. Some folks have high tolerance, some have no tolerance. Some get hangovers, some don't. Emotions vary as well ... sleepy, angry, happy, depressed, stupid ... and more. You will have to experiment some personally to find out what happens to you
Seems like a toss up regarding emotions. Im not sure I'd want to risk drinking when legally able to. My emotions are wild enough on their own without alcohol in the mix lol

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don't drink or more precise, vary rarely drink so can't answer from personal experience.

1/ Here's a blog with some ideas of how alcohol effects your reaction times.
The Rate At Which Alcohol Impairs Your Ability to Drive

2/ Don't know.

3/ beer, wine, spirit, liquors.
Depends on the beer, bitter, sour, malty, hoppy, fruity, sweet, dry.
Wine, again depends, on the wine, the more you pay the nicer it tends to be but sometimes not.
Spirits. You guessed it, it depends, whisky is very different to vodka for example
Liquor yes also depends on what its made from.

4/ i personally don't think there is a best part to drinking alcohol though camaraderie can be something of a bonus.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Seems like a toss up regarding emotions. Im not sure I'd want to risk drinking when legally able to. My emotions are wild enough on their own without alcohol in the mix lol

Wise move. What some folks do, if the curiosity gets the better of them, is to find a close friend who stays sober and 'drunksits' for them. Others start with a small bit, and work their way up. Others never start.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
1. I’m fairly alert when buzzed. This will likely differ person to person, though

2. I don’t think there’s that much difference in terms of slowing down the brain, as it were. Though there are plenty of cocktails that purposely mix in energy drinks to I guess “combat that”
That said, I haven’t had one of those since my clubbing days.

3. Beer. Wine and spirits. Basically. I dislike beer in general (which might be considered sacrilegious in my country lol)
Wines differ in taste. Typically red wines have a bolder richer flavour. Whites are a bit lighter and usually served cold.
Among spirits is where there is larger diversity, I suppose. Bourbon has a taste somewhat similar to Dr Pepper to be honest. Rum usually has a very rich taste. Vodka doesn’t always have a strong taste. I guess depending on which brand you go with.
Gin tastes rather bitter. Though I will admit to preferring bourbon/rum so I’m not the best person to ask
That all said, home made tastes a hell of a lot better than store bought. After you have that, you realise just how much added chemicals the stores use

4. Best is the buzz
Worst is the hangover lol

I don't like beer, either! Yuck!

1. This greatly depends on the quantity and person. It also depends on your physical state before you started. I've had booze both amp me, or put me to bed.

2. When I was a regular drinker, it took my anxiety down. That was where the sedative kicked in, and that was why I drank. It was a way of coping with living with a person who terrified me. Other than that, my brain was alert, my body was alert, and I quickly learned to limit so I wouldn't get too sedated. People I talked with had no idea I'd had anything to drink at all.

3. Its the taste, and quantity of alcohol in them. A beer doesn't have much booze in it typically. Wines vary. Hard liquors have much more. Alcohol has a bitter bite going down, but in beer or wine, that's gone. Mixed drinks have a less detectable taste, but can be expensive to make.

4.Its sometimes enjoyable as a social thing in limited amounts. It can be easy to repeat if you like it too much.

A side note for hangovers... I found you can almost always avoid them if you avoid cheap wine/beer, and if you're going to mix hard liquor, mix it with flavored water. Its not fancy, but it will keep you from getting dehydrated.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

As other responses have explained, reactions to alcohol consumption differ from person to person. Some become angry, some become reckless, some become anxious, etc. Alertness is no different in its variation among different people.

I stay fully alert while tipsy or even drunk, and my spelling and grammar also remain fully intact—something a few friends have amusedly commented on. The only time I have ever lost consciousness from alcohol was my very first time drinking, and I remained passed out for around 15 minutes. My friend and I did straight shots of whiskey, which caused me to black out and then throw up. I would never recommend that.

Now I know my tolerance much better, so I drink just enough to have fun while remaining in control. I also completely avoid talking to or texting people one on one except for closer friends who I'm absolutely certain don't mind tipsy or drunk chats.

The main determinant of this "slowing down" is alcohol content per unit of volume, abbreviated as ABV (alcohol by volume). The whiskey that knocked me out years ago had 40% ABV, which is where liquor starts to venture into "hard liquor" territory. Nowadays I drink 15% ABV gin, usually two bottles every few weeks on average. It's just enough to get me tipsy and not give me a miserable hangover.

Beer, whiskey, vodka, wine (both red and white), gin, and rum are usually the most popular varieties. I haven't tasted many, and since imported liquor is extremely hard to obtain where I live, I have local stuff. I would describe the taste thus: "Needs more salt, but just tolerable enough to allow me to drink up to tipsiness." :p

The best part is when I feel more relaxed, more likely to laugh, and less burdened, especially while with people I trust. Controlled and safe drinking is a given, of course. Any good parts about drinking vanish once it becomes excessive, risky, or a coping mechanism.

The worst part is the hangover, as well as its generally unhealthy effects. If you don't drink and have other ways of having fun, I recommend staying that way. You can go your whole life just fine without drinking.

PureX

Veteran Member
Drinking alcohol isn't really about slowing down the brain.

There are two main effects that people like that come with drinking alcohol. The most common is a cessation of inhibition. This is why alcohol is so commonly used to socialize. It "loosens people up". Makes them feel less self-conscious. Enables them to be 'silly' without feeling embarrassed about it. And for most people this is a good thing. Mirth, marryment, gaiety, fun; these are all words and feelings associated with people drinking alcohol together. And kept within reason, these are all positive experiences for most folks.

However, there is a danger to this characteristic of drinking alcohol that, as it lessens our inhibitions, it also tends to warp our sense of propriety, and reasonableness, causing us to be more inclined to make bad decisions. And this can, of course, lead to some real problems. The main one being that we may well decide once we begin to drink to forgo our previous decision to stop at 2 or 3 drinks. This is a very common issue. You go out to have a few drinks with friends, and soon you're having fun, and don't want to stop drinking when you had told yourself before that you would. And because your inhibitions are down, and your sense of reasonable proportion is warped, you choose to drink more than you should. This is especially likely if the people you're drinking with are doing the same thing. And the more alcohol we drink, the more warped our decision-making becomes.

This can easily become dangerous.

The other feeling that some people experience from drinking alcohol is a feeling of euphoria. That suddenly all is well with the world. As if the effect of being drunk were a kind of force-field against the unpleasantness of reality. I remember getting a flat tire on a cold winter day in Chicago, with no spare in the car and a long walk to the nearest tire store. It meant having to take the tire off, walk all the way to a place that could fix it, walk all the way back, and put it back on the car. ... But there happened to be a bar right across the street. Which seemed immensely more inviting.

So long as I sat in the bar drinking, I couldn't have cared less about the flat tire. It's as if the alcohol created a kind of bubble inside of which I was impervious to the bother of my predicament. I stayed in the bar for many hours and got totally wasted, and then stumbled home on foot. Only to have to deal with the flat tire the next day, with a hangover, and less money in my pocket then I had the day before.

Use alcohol appropriately, and it can be a good thing. Millions and millions of people do. But use it inappropriately and it can destroy your life. So be careful of it. It's a mood and mind altering substance.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member

How buzzed you become depends on your mindset going into drinking, how quickly you drink and the quantity of alcohol in each drink. It is something that requires some experience with drinking to find that sweet spot in my experience. It is always best to drink with friends and people you trust in case you miss the mark.

The result I use is a warm, fuzzy feeling that I get in my cheeks that tells me that I have reached a level of intoxication that I am looking for. That is the mark where I feel the pleasant effects without losing my ability to think straight. It also lets me slow or stop to recover from it in a reasonable time before doing anything that requires my wits. Or it was, I don't drink much anymore except with a meal. Definitely not to excess, since, as you I don't like the loss of control that can come from overshooting the mark.
Alcohol is alcohol and the form it comes in has nothing to do with it's physiological effect on the brain. The form--beer, wine, straight shots, mixed drinks--has more to do with how quickly it is absorbed into the body so that the effects take place. There are many old tales associated with the form, but how much and whether you have eaten prior, your body weight, your own personal physiology, what it is mixed with, your mood and expectations and how much you drink are what count. Ethanol is a toxin and like any toxin it has a dose response. This response varies with the individual as well.
I have mentioned the general types previously. They are beer, wine, spirits (distilled, high alcohol content) and mixed drinks. I find it difficult to describe taste, since there are so many variations within each category with their own unique flavor profiles and the subjectivity associated with describing the flavors. Alcohol straight tastes sort of sweet and sharp to me, but it is a solvent and can pick up flavor and color from what it is in contact with during the brewing, vinification and distilling process. You can find better help with flavor on the internet and with sampling for taste on your own when it is a legally available option.
The buzz when sharing time with friends. It does relieve tension or anxiety and there is an increased feeling of well-being. Some of available literature describes it as a euphoria at low doses.

Ethanol is a toxin and a drug and like all of those things has positive effects at the right dose and negative effects with the wrong dose. The effects most of us are interested in are the immediate, acute effects, but there are chronic effects from regular use as well. The immediate effects that I have found the worst are loss of memory, too much inhibition, poor decision making and hangover. Hangover is the symptoms your body experiences detoxifying the ethanol. While obviously, I have not experienced it directly or indirectly through friends, death can occur with too much, but it does avoid the hangover. And how I put that says something about my memory of hangovers too.

Then there are those that are sober that have the experience of dealing with those that are very drunk. Sometimes that can be no fun at all.

Drinking alcohol is a decision that a person has to make for themselves, but it can be done responsibly and with pleasant results. You show a lot of wisdom in learning more before making the decision. But emotion and peer pressure can have an impact on decisions too. Try to keep it your own and with the courage of your convictions. But having a beer or a glass of wine with friends over a meal isn't likely to do more than enhance the pleasure as long as one remains aware and doesn't get carried away.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Do different types of alcohol slow the brain down differently?

No.

Beer and wine are lower in alcohol compared to gin, vodka and whisky. They all taste differently.

Best is to only have a little in the company of friends. Worse? Throwing up. Hangovers. Getting into an accident. Getting a drunk driving traffic ticket.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How alert are you typically if you just get buzzed not like extremely drunk drinking? I don't plan on drinking even once I am of age cuz i dont like the idea of dulling my mind.

I'm very alert. If I start sipping wine about 5 PM, I can watch Jeopardy a few hours later and do fine, or play bridge online competently. I wouldn't drive or use heavy machinery. When we go out, if we're driving, one has no alcohol. If we're walking, it's a margarita each, no more.

It's a sedative. That means it slows down your brain right?

Yes, but it has a paradoxical affect on many. It makes them agitated. So, two people drink the same amount of the same liquor, and one is sitting in a corner slurring his words before nodding off while the other is dancing on a tabletop or starting fights.

Do different types make your brain feel differently then if you drank another type?

Yes, but I don't think it's the alcohol - probably some other chemical than ethanol. Tequila makes me belligerent if I have too much, but not other spirits.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Best is to only have a little in the company of friends. Worse? Throwing up. Hangovers. Getting into an accident. Getting a drunk driving traffic ticket.

I guess it should be stressed...

Don't ever drive drunk! No matter what the circumstance!

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
There aren't different kinds of alcohol, it is in different kinds of drinks at different percentages. It is an addictive, depressive toxin. A lot of people that develop an addiction become addicted slowly over time and haven't planned to.

Says a person who consumed alcohol for decades.

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm very alert. If I start sipping wine about 5 PM, I can watch Jeopardy a few hours later and do fine, or play bridge online competently. I wouldn't drive or use heavy machinery. When we go out, if we're driving, one has no alcohol. If we're walking, it's a margarita each, no more.

Yes, but it has a paradoxical affect on many. It makes them agitated. So, two people drink the same amount of the same liquor, and one is sitting in a corner slurring his words before nodding off while the other is dancing on a tabletop or starting fights.

Yes, but I don't think it's the alcohol - probably some other chemical than ethanol. Tequila makes me belligerent if I have too much, but not other spirits.
Spirits tended to make me more aggressive, while beer tended to make me relaxed and jovial. I agree that it's probably the other ingredients with the alcohol that caused these different effects.

Eric Hyom

Whats the worst part of drinking?

Most people have no real problem with alcohol. Some become alcohol dependant, and it rules your life. At your age, you don't know the affect it will have on you, you ,might be okay, or you might not. Most alcoholics never intended to become addicts. My dad died an alcoholic. This was not his intention, he did not start drinking until later in life, when life became hard for him.

Some people drink as a form of medication, they feel it helps them cope with life's problems. They can wake up depressed the next day and need another drink. People drink when they are angry, and they are looking for the slightest excuse to be angry, or fight or punch walls. People can become less inhibited after a few drinks, we see girls say yes to things that they would probably not say yes to when sober.

Drinking can be enjoyable when your life is okay, and you are feeling relatively happy. I enjoy a drink, but having watched my dad die an alcoholic, I find ways to be in control. For about the last twenty five years, I give up drinking twice a year, for about six weeks each time. All the time I know I can do this, gives me confidence that I am in control.

I hope you find ways to be in control if you start drinking.

nPeace

Veteran Member

Not alert enough to know when to stop.

The various types of alcoholic drinks have different amount of alcohol. That's what makes the difference.

For example, natural fermentation may be 35% alcohol and below.
Added 'spirits' raises the alcohol level.

There is the natural. Then there is the unnatural - poison... imo.

Water is good. Also juices with no added sugar or preservatives. Then there are red wines (naturally fermented - no added spirits).
All these are good for your health.
The other drinking is obviously not going to do your body good.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'll give my limited perspective, given that my early years were mostly in drinking beer. I did progress to wines later and the odd spirit or similar. The one advantage of beer is - if you use it socially and not in order to get drunk - is that it is often a measured approach to intake alcohol. That is, it is mainly at the lowest end of the alcohol content spectrum, and if drunk reasonably slowly amongst a group of friends buying rounds, then one isn't likely to get drunk suddenly - as long as the group hardly exceeds three or four. :oops:

The danger of drinking spirits is often that one can consume quite a lot before the effects start to kick in. Hence why too many often get drunk unless they monitor their consumption. So, spreading the drinking over a set time, and expecting to drink a set amount, often doesn't impact one too much. Not from my experience anyway, and the few times I did get drunk were the open-ended affairs and where we often started drinking too early. I now mostly drink wine, with a meal, and purely because I like the taste.

As the others have mentioned, drinking is probably more about freeing one up for social interactions - and many don't even need such. And also, it usually doesn't alter how one behaves - unless whilst having had too much - but for some it does seem to enable anger and aggression to come out. Never was a factor amongst my friends or myself. Be wary if this is shown in others though. :oops:

Lastly, the tolerance one has to alcohol will no doubt vary per individual, and this usually develops over time if one persists.

Plenty of good advice in the previous comments, especially as to never driving after consuming (amount seems to vary in different countries), and also remember that decisions subsequently taken might, and often will be, altered as to how much one has consumed, and as to such this often leads to misery. :oops: