1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions about Advaita Vedanta

Discussion in 'Hinduism DIR' started by Philomath, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Philomath

Philomath Sadhaka

Hello, I have a few questions for the practicing Advaitins on our forum.

The Basic Concepts of Advaita Vedanta

Is Brahman God or not?

If the world is essentially illusionary does anything really matter then?

What exactly does this mean? Does this mean we are God?

Thank you in advance for the responses.

Poeticus likes this.
  2. Anti-religion

Anti-religion New Member

Yes.Brahman is one without a second.There is nothing which is not Brahman in advaitic state of consciousness.

World when seen outside of Brahman is illusory.(or)World outside of the illuminating light of consciousness (sat-chit-ananda) is an illusion.(or) Shakti disconnected from shiva is an illusion.
    You are God,so is everyone else.In advaitic state,there is no finite ego,the nama and rupa completely dissolves,leaving us with an entity which is utterly 'One'.So,there is individuality in the manifest world(relative truth) like waves on a ocean,but outside of the manifestation,all is one -waves merging back into the ocean.Compare this to a light from cinema projector,on the screen there are different players,but if you roll back in time,you get a pure concentrated light-the source of everything,which is what all the players on the screen are.But,here we are talking about projections of infinite nature.And the yogic process,in a way takes you back to realm of timelessness.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  3. Poeticus

Poeticus | abhyAvartin |

I, too, have a question for the Speculators Dwelling in the Forests:

Then, what is the "cause" or the "creator" of the universe(s)?

4. Anti-religion

Anti-religion New Member

That source is pretty vague.Brahman is both the cause and effect.Brahman is the material,efficient and teleological cause of the universe.

Vinayaka likes this.
  5. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee

To put it mildly. :)

The best I could come up with is that it's not creation in the normal sense, (of actively creating) but more causation.

6. Poeticus

Poeticus | abhyAvartin |

How powerful is this BrahmAn?

7. Anti-religion

Anti-religion New Member

Emanation perhaps?:)
    :rainbow1:

8. Poeticus

Poeticus | abhyAvartin |

Not that powerful?

9. Anti-religion

Anti-religion New Member

Like AIDS virus,when outside of our body it is not powerful,but once inside it becomes very powerful.JK.:D

10. Poeticus

Poeticus | abhyAvartin |

That's distasteful. :)

Anti-religion likes this.
  11. Maya3

Maya3 Well-Known Member

Yes.

Yes we are, as is everything else in the universe. We just think that we are separate. That is the illusion. Not that everything is unreal.
    Things are very real, but they are part of God not separate from God.

Maya

12. Poeticus

Poeticus | abhyAvartin |

Fine, answer me this:

Am I an illusion? Is murder an illusion? Are famine, drought, genocide, war, etc. illusions?

13. Maya3

Maya3 Well-Known Member

No, the illusion is that you die from it.

Maya

Anti-religion likes this.
  14. Philomath

Philomath Sadhaka

I understood the rest of your post but here is where you lost me. What's the nama and rupa?

15. Philomath

Philomath Sadhaka

So basically the illusion is that we are separate from God?

16. Anti-religion

Anti-religion New Member

Apologies,it means name and form.

17. Philomath

Philomath Sadhaka

It's no problem. So basically what your saying is that when back name and form and the layers that cover us we merge back with the one source?

18. Anti-religion

Anti-religion New Member

That's what advaita asks us to see for ourselves.Ethical implication is that:You see other living beings as your own self,this in itself can help people to be more empathetic toward others and on a generic level Advaita exhorts us to look beyond personal benefits and sensual pleasures while indulging in everyday activities.

But mere intellectual understanding is not enough,just as calling the name of the medicine will not cure a patient,even so every aspirant must work through the 'Yogic' ladder while basing oneself on the ethical precepts described above.

A similar thread here:
    http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...tions-doubts-unclear-about-non-dualistic.html

Philomath likes this.
  19. Philomath

Philomath Sadhaka

Thank you for the link and for the clarification.

20. Philomath

Philomath Sadhaka

What then is the difference between Kashmir Shaivism and Advaita then? Both state we are Non-Dual from God. I know Kashmir Shavisim states that the world is real, but If the illusion in Advaita is that we are separate then isn't Kashmir Shaivism and Advaita the same thing?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted