• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions about Advaita Vedanta

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
What then is the difference between Kashmir Shaivism and Advaita then? Both state we are Non-Dual from God. I know Kashmir Shavisim states that the world is real, but If the illusion in Advaita is that we are separate then isn't Kashmir Shaivism and Advaita the same thing?

Not much as far as broad philosophy is concerned,except that Advaita uses more Vedantic methods of self exploration and Kashmir Shavisim uses Tantric methods.For an outsider though,Smartism(Advaita) is not much different than polished vedantic shaivism.Again,Buddhist also have similar(but not same) non-dualistic philosophy and perhaps owing to their geographical and culture proximity have similar methods to becoming (no)self-aware.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maya3

What then is the difference between Kashmir Shaivism and Advaita then? Both state we are Non-Dual from God. I know Kashmir Shavisim states that the world is real, but If the illusion in Advaita is that we are separate then isn't Kashmir Shaivism and Advaita the same thing?

I don´t know. Are there any Kashmir Shaivists here?

Maya

Philomath

Sadhaka
Not much as far as broad philosophy is concerned,except that Advaita uses more Vedantic methods of self exploration and Kashmir Shavisim uses Tantric methods.For an outsider though,Smartism(Advaita) is not much different than polished vedantic shaivism.Again,Buddhist also have similar(but not same) non-dualistic philosophy and perhaps owing to their geographical and culture proximity have similar methods to becoming (no)self-aware.

I thought so too, I don't really see any differences between the two.

Sb1995

Om Sai Ram
I don´t know. Are there any Kashmir Shaivists here?

Maya
Sb at your service. My father was born and raised in Srinagar (Capital) Kashmir. Althought I don't know much about Kashmiri Shaivism ,I am half kashmiri and I have a Kashmiri last name just like my entire family. I can ask my father if you have any questions I am unable to answer so shoot away.

Philomath

Sadhaka
Sb at your service. My father was born and raised in Srinagar (Capital) Kashmir. Althought I don't know much about Kashmiri Shaivism ,I am half kashmiri and I have a Kashmiri last name just like my entire family. I can ask my father if you have any questions I am unable to answer so shoot away.

Cool!

Could you ask him what the difference between Kashmir Shavisim and Advaita Vedanta are?

Philomath

Sadhaka
Well from my understanding the difference between Kashmir Shaivism and Advaita Vendanta is their understanding of the manifest world. Advaita considers the manifest world unreal. The world is a projection of Shiva in KS so therefore the world is real. Advaita states that only Brahman is real so if the world is created by Brahman how can it not be real? Or maybe I'm not fully understanding something here.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Can a mod pleas fix this thread title? I keep reading Vendetta.

LOL. That was too funny. I can just imagine:

All the Advaitas holding a vendetta. :D :D

"Hello, please: I have questions about Advaita vendetta....yeah, um....I have questions about the vendetta of AdvaitaM. Hehehe. :p :p"

I think it was an adorable mistake. :p

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I just now noticed that I've been misspelling Vedanta this whole time :eek:

Spelling mistakes happen, not a problem. But when the avid reader see something else in the sight word and it brings up a weird connotation, it is just funny. I'm sure there are many other examples. Don't sweat it.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

I think I read somewhere, and as always happens with things like this, I'll be hanged if I can remember where :rolleyes: that in Kashmir Shaivism, the world is the embodiment of God. It is not illusion or forgetfulness. As God we willed it and ourselves into existence. It is just another aspect of God (us)... it is what it is. Do ask your father if that is indeed a tenet of KS. I like that paradigm, because I still can't get my head around the God-playing-hide-and-seek in Advaita. Alan Watts gave an untenable (to me) dumbed-down explanation of Advaita. Blech! :thud:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think I read somewhere, and as always happens with things like this, I'll be hanged if I can remember where :rolleyes: that in Kashmir Shaivism, the world is the embodiment of God. It is not illusion or forgetfulness. As God we willed it and ourselves into existence. It is just another aspect of God (us)... it is what it is. Do ask your father if that is indeed a tenet of KS. I like that paradigm, because I still can't get my head around the God-playing-hide-and-seek in Advaita. Alan Watts gave an untenable (to me) dumbed-down explanation of Advaita. Blech! :thud:

I just did a quick google search and found this (I am not capable of answering such things lol)

Fundamental Aspect of Vedanta and Kashmir Shaivism
Question about the difference between... - Kashmir Saivism - tribe.net

If your answer is not fulfilled than I shall go ask for you.

"By His own will the Supreme Lord, the essence of Knowledge (Supreme Consciousness) projects causelessly like the Yogi into this multiformal world." Maybe I was close.

Maya3

Well from my understanding the difference between Kashmir Shaivism and Advaita Vendanta is their understanding of the manifest world. Advaita considers the manifest world unreal. The world is a projection of Shiva in KS so therefore the world is real. Advaita states that only Brahman is real so if the world is created by Brahman how can it not be real? Or maybe I'm not fully understanding something here.

I'm Advaitin and I don't think the world is unreal.
I think that we only see it as divided instead of whole.

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Spelling mistakes happen, not a problem. But when the avid reader see something else in the sight word and it brings up a weird connotation, it is just funny. I'm sure there are many other examples. Don't sweat it.

Another word I misread while scanning is 'Genesis" I see Ganesha. My eyes are that bad, until I focus. I think it has to do with what's in the subconscious. :)