• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions about Advaita Vedanta

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Hello, I have a few questions for the practicing Advaitins on our forum.

The Basic Concepts of Advaita Vedanta

Is Brahman God or not?

If the world is essentially illusionary does anything really matter then?

What exactly does this mean? Does this mean we are God?

Thank you in advance for the responses.
I'm not going to read the other answers given...just yet. Let's see how I fair before I do that:

Is Brahman God or not?
"Brahman', 'God', 'Rudra', 'Narayana' etc are all just names/terms for this one concept...this 'thing'.

I have actually started to call it 'thing', but it is not known by any name, really.

I never/couldn't get past the first stanza of the Tao Teh Ching (even though I am/was Hindu):

The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named is not the eternal name
The nameless is the origin of Heaven and Earth
The named is the mother of myriad things
Thus, constantly without desire, one observes its essence
Constantly with desire, one observes its manifestations
These two emerge together but differ in name
The unity is said to be the mystery
Mystery of mysteries, the door to all wonders.

If the world is essentially illusionary does anything really matter then?
On the mundane, physical level, no, it does not! (and this takes a lot of 'getting used to'). Everything except for that which is not illusion is so boring! (that's why I am here).

One would think Shiva's love/grace would compensate and it does...to some, but not total contentment....that's more 'my fault' though, from asking Him 'okay, now this has happened, what the heck do you want me to actually do now besides typing on an internet forum?'

What exactly does this mean? Does this mean we are God?

That can be seen as both 'yes' and 'no'. To say 'we are God' means we are already separating/distancing ourselves from God. To explain it as close as I can, 'Brahman' is 'is-ness'. It is that which just is and it already includes the 'I' or the 'us' that also just 'is'.....it's complicated.

It's experiential.

However, for ease of reference, yes my dear brother/sister 'you' are 'God'.

Last edited:

Amrut

Aum - Advaita
Namaste,

In advaita, the word MithyA is translated as

1. Illusion
2. One which is neither real nor unreal.

Everybody thinks of this that from day one, this world is illusion.

Real is that which is eternal, present at everytime. All the definitions of Brahman.
Unreal is that which is not present at any time.
The in between mithyA is that which is neither real nor unreal.

We will have to expand this a little.

mithyA is defined as - that is experienced but is not actually present.

I would add a few words

mithyA is defined as - that is experienced (in ignorance) but is not actually present (in state of Jnana - Nirvikalp Samadhi).

MithyA is also explained as the one which is experienced in one or 2 states (waking or dream) and not experienced in all three (and 4th state - turiya).

In this way, mAyA, which is negated in the 4th state cannot be considered as eternal.

There are 3 realities

VyavahArika satya - waking state (present in one state - waking consciousness)
PratibhAsika satya - dream state (present in one state - dream)
PArmArthika satya - present in all three state and beyond 3 states

VyavarArika satya and pArmArthika satya is also given in Patanjali Yoga Sutra (P.Y. 2.22)

Advaita asks one to rise above dvaita by disassociating with what is not 'I' or Self. This is done by being a witness as explained in Gita Chapter 13. After being witness, one transcends the state of being a witness to something by merging in Self. There is no separate one to experience. Hence Brahman is indescribable.

this is called as ananya bhAva bhakti

a+anya = Not+different. Hence ananya bhakti means devotion with a feeling that 'I and Brahman are not different'. This is means 'I am Brahman'

But how can you know that 'I am Brahman'. separate what you are not, but being a witness or by asking the question - 'Who am I', as we think or take it fro granted that 'I' means body.

I think, Kashmir Shaivism considers this world as Real and an expression of Lord Shiva. Yoga and Tantra believe that this world is real. But one merges in Shiva, whose true nature is formless.

end result is same.

there is a saying - All is well if it ends well.

Advaita is pure path. when final merging is concerned, i.e. time to merge in Shiva has come, one has to finally transcend 3 gunas.

You do not have to take it for granted that everything is illusion. You have to experience that 'I' is brahman and that in state of Jnana the world does not exists. This is done by ananya bhakti.

Though I am repetitive, I hope this helps.

Aum

Indiaspirituality

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Advaita asks one to rise above dvaita by disassociating with what is not 'I' or Self. This is done by being a witness as explained in Gita Chapter 13. After being witness, one transcends the state of being a witness to something by merging in Self. There is no separate one to experience. Hence Brahman is indescribable.

this is called as ananya bhAva bhakti

a+anya = Not+different. Hence ananya bhakti means devotion with a feeling that 'I and Brahman are not different'. This is means 'I am Brahman'

But how can you know that 'I am Brahman'. separate what you are not, but being a witness or by asking the question - 'Who am I', as we think or take it fro granted that 'I' means body.

I think, Kashmir Shaivism considers this world as Real and an expression of Lord Shiva. Yoga and Tantra believe that this world is real. But one merges in Shiva, whose true nature is formless.

end result is same.
Precisely....and I am burning this candle at 'both ends' trying to work my way from the bottom, up and from the top, down simultaneously....meeting Shiva somewhere in the 'middle'.

This is the hardest thing to do, but that's how it all 'turned out'. Yup, I am a Tantric Advaitin...it's possible (all through the grace of Mother), but it's possible.

Sorry to keep coming back to it over again, but I'll just leave this alone again with a 'Jai Shri Ardharnarishwar!' :bow:

We all believe the world is just as 'real' as 'we' are.

Mithya is like me picking up a game of 'Sim World' and putting it in a console created by Shiva Systems inc, then, writing my own character into the game and playing my role through this character.

Plants vs Zombies....vs God...

Om Namah Shivay.

Last edited:

Amrut

Aum - Advaita
Precisely....and I am burning this candle at 'both ends' trying to work my way from the bottom, up and from the top, down simultaneously....meeting Shiva somewhere in the 'middle'.

This is the hardest thing to do, but that's how it all 'turned out'. Yup, I am a Tantric Advaitin...it's possible (all through the grace of Mother), but it's possible.

Sorry to keep coming back to it over again, but I'll just leave this alone again with a 'Jai Shri Ardharnarishwar!' :bow:

We all believe the world is just as 'real' as 'we' are.

Mithya is like me picking up a game of 'Sim World' and putting it in a console created by Shiva Systems inc, then, writing my own character into the game and playing my role through this character.

Plants vs Zombies....vs God...

Om Namah Shivay.

Om Namah Shivaya,

Advaita Sthiti (state) and Advaita path are different. Advaita Sthiti is final state, the final release, final emancipation. One can walk on any path to reach this state. Patangali Yoga Sutra or Thirumandiram or say Dattatraya's Avadhoot Gita and Jivan Mukta, all end in final destination.

Tantra is related to activation of Kundalini and when it reaches crown, and then consciousness enters into unknown space, only pure consciousness remains.

Advaita path is pure or straight path that leads to Advaita State, where aadhara is Brahman or OM, nothing else. In Tantra, kundalini is the aadhara.

Advaita requires much mental purity even to begin with.

Aum

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Om Namah Shivaya,

Advaita Sthiti (state) and Advaita path are different. Advaita Sthiti is final state, the final release, final emancipation. One can walk on any path to reach this state. Patangali Yoga Sutra or Thirumandiram or say Dattatraya's Avadhoot Gita and Jivan Mukta, all end in final destination.

Tantra is related to activation of Kundalini and when it reaches crown, and then consciousness enters into unknown space, only pure consciousness remains.

Advaita path is pure or straight path that leads to Advaita State, where aadhara is Brahman or OM, nothing else. In Tantra, kundalini is the aadhara.

Advaita requires much mental purity even to begin with.

Aum
Is there even a 'beyond' that is beyond 'That'?

On one level Tantra is related to 'activation of Kundalini etc'. This type of practice is usually reserved for the stricter adherents of other Yogic practices (also with due reference to both Patanjali and Swami Svatmarama here), but these things are often accredited to the schools of Kriya and Raja Yoga (Laya Yoga) than with Tantra. Sure, Tantra incorporates this and it is the essence, but not the nectar. There's a lot of 'misinformation' about this.

For me, the 'path' and the 'state' are one, but I guess that's just part of some old Taoist being within me that just refuses to go away. lol

Is the realisation in the 'being' or in the 'becoming' ISA?

We have had this whole discussion before though, only you are probably not aware of it, while I am cursed with an eidetic memory.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Reflecting on the above...and also going some way to explain it further...

It all boils down to Jnana vs Bhakti and what eventually 'gives' in the end.

After being 'weaned' on the Upanishads, I went straight for the teachings of Adi Shankaracharya (as well as doing my daily devotions to Lord Shiva).

Yes, I was in a 'conundrum'....bigtime.

I have had a spate of 'short-term 'Gurus' and some rather notable ones from respectable lineage/heritage. I give them all my sincerest prayers and love.

I haven't really had anything/anyone that 'stuck by me' though...except for 'Adiguru' Shiva...

Then, I understood something - it was the same Saint I was studying, that wrote the most important treatises and works on Advaita Vedanta, as well as the most beautiful works of Shiva Bhakti out there - like Kalabhairavashtakam.

He also wrote 'Chidananda Rupah, Shivoham! Shivoham!

I wondered how such a great Soul could remain in both states simultaneously...then I read Saundarya Lahari...

Feels like this is going around in circles....or has come full-circle...or something...

Om Namah Shivay.

Last edited:

Amrut

Aum - Advaita
Is there even a 'beyond' that is beyond 'That'?

On one level Tantra is related to 'activation of Kundalini etc'. This type of practice is usually reserved for the stricter adherents of other Yogic practices (also with due reference to both Patanjali and Swami Svatmarama here), but these things are often accredited to the schools of Kriya and Raja Yoga (Laya Yoga) than with Tantra. Sure, Tantra incorporates this and it is the essence, but not the nectar. There's a lot of 'misinformation' about this.

For me, the 'path' and the 'state' are one, but I guess that's just part of some old Taoist being within me that just refuses to go away. lol

We have had this whole discussion before though, only you are probably not aware of it, while I am cursed with an eidetic memory.

Namaste

My apologies for not being aware of the discussion. I read only a few posts on this thread and I am not much active online specially on RF.

See, you cannot negate your own self.

If you see rose and say, - This is a rose flower.

This means that

1. You are not rose
2. Rose is different from you
3. You are knower of rose flower

Until there is an observer and the objection of observation and the process of observation, there is duality.

When after negating or separating self from non-self, only you remain.

Let me give an e.g.

Imagine a tree, mango tree. I hope you like mangoes ;)

As soon as I said - Mango Tree'

A shape and form appears in front of you. Shape of tree and it has a name mango tree.

Now, remove the name - Mango tree

What remains is just a shape (with no name).

Now remove the shape. What remains is nothing. Now both mango tree and it's shape are gone. So there is blank. In this process, you negated tree and it's name i.e. shape, form and the name associated with it. But you did not negate yourself.

in the same way, you cannot negate yourself.

When you merge into atman or Brahman, then you do separately experience it. This is difficult to explain. Sat-Chit-Ananda are not to be separately experienced.

Truth, consciousness and bliss are one and the same.

Truth is eternal,
consciousness is you, you are eternal and hence truth
when there is no duality, there is no sorrow, no fear, no death, hence you are bliss.

So Truth, consciousness and bliss are not different and are not to be experienced separately.

Since everything 'Else' is negated or dis-associated from 'I', nothing more remains, as we have seen in e.g. that after removing tree and it's shape nothing 'else' (except you), remain.

You are observer, but observer is a relative term and not absolute. Observer is so called because he/she is observing 'something'. When there is nothing left to observe, then what remains - 'I'. Hence there is nothing beyond it.

I will give you explanation from another standpoint. Only Brahman is indescribable. So there must be nothing beyond it. Everything 'else' has been described. To describe something, one must have knowledge of it. Hence there must be someone who has seen and knows the object to be described'. In this sense, duality exists. Only when the 'I', gets separated and merged into Brahman, only Brahman remains.

There are 2 ways.

1. Neti-Neti = naa iti, naa iti, meaning - not this, not this. Realization is in being.

2. Merging or chanting OM. In this one separates oneself from what is non-self by focusing on OM. Later the source of OM is traced and mind merges into the source. OM silences itself. This is called as 'becoming'.

Technically, Being is more correct. But it is easy to understand that we transcend and merge into Brahman. We are practically in duality.

By becoming witness, and chanting OM, one can separate non-self from self. This is like separating milk from mixture of milk and water. Do we realize or experience, in reality, that 'I' is different from body'? the one who separates milk from impossible looking mixture of milk+water is called as Hansa (Swan). Hence Hansa is an important symbol in advaita. It is said that Hansa has ability to separate milk form mixture of milk+water. the one who has separated non-self from self and later on merged into brahman, is called as raja-hansa. Raj means king.

We may look like we have become Brahman, but actually, in the whole process, we never experience transformation of 'I' into something. It always remains awareness. Only thing is that, initially, there is awareness of 'something', later on, this 'something' cease to exist, but yet awareness exists by itself. Awareness may seem a relative term, but it can exist independently. Some use word 'consciousness'. I do not know which is better one. I use them interchangeably. So consciousness can exist even if it is not seeing or experiencing anything. It is just pure consciousness and nothing else. and that is you. At no time (except you fall asleep ;) ), there is no break or transformation of consciousness throughout the meditation. Hence it is said that Atman is already achieved. you are Atman and Atman is Brahman, which is beyond attributes, pure, immutable, changeless, eternal reality. This process of achieving is called as 'prAptasya prApti'. PrApta means 'to achieve'. PrAptasya prApti means 'to achieve that is already achieved'.

Are you getting my point? No new thing is formed, there is no transformation. There is an end to the search, as nothing is beyond it. there is non-duality (advaita), and hence there is nothing 'else' present to experience anything 'separately'.

So, it is said that the knower of Brhaman is Brahman itself
The knower of Brahman becomes Brahman itself.

Again here, becoming is for explanatory purpose.

EDIT: Also note that - 'You cannot negate your own Self'

Aum

Last edited:

Amrut

Aum - Advaita
Namaste,

Lets continue the discussion further.

When we rise and transcend beyond three guNa-s, the consciousness remains the same even when it becomes infinite. In the same way, when Brahman may have descended, same consciousness must have got trapped in panch-mahAbhuta-s and in mAyA. In other words due to mAyA, the original consciousness, which is infinite and beyond attributes (gunas), and which is immutable, unchanging and undivided, appears to be finite by associating with panch mahAbhuta-s or simply say under the influence of mAyA, infinite consciousness appears to by finite and the sense of separateness - ego 'I', is created. Since consciousness is it's true nature and is the nature of Bliss, hence everyone, knowingly or unknowingly searches for happiness, no matter one believes in spirituality or not. the whole life is centred on 'being happy', which is to be ready or to avoid 'sorrow'.

Sri Ramana Maharshi says, there is nothing wrong to desire for happiness. What is wrong is to search outside, when it is inside.

By associating to 'I' and mind, and mind associated with body and it's 5 senses, mind uses 5 senses to find happiness, but in sense objects. This is ignorance, hence to remove ignorance, one has to return back, take a backward journey by diving deep within and know our true nature.

EDIT: I just remembered a quote of my friend.

Being is ease, becoming is dis-ease

Here becoming is to be taken as 'becoming something else' i.e. associating with something else under the influence of mAyA

Aum

Last edited:

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Namaste

My apologies for not being aware of the discussion. I read only a few posts on this thread and I am not much active online specially on RF.
Namaste.

It wasn't on this thread, ISA. It was on a totally different forum...about 6 months ago, when I was in another of my 'cyber-incarnations'.

I realise the self cannot negate self and this is why Brahman will always remain experiential.

It's fun to try and 'self-negate' though, until you realise one needs a 'self' to 'negate' in the first place...then the game gets boring...this is also why 'Neti Neti' doesn't work (been there....failed that class....).

So, I agree with you...but what it has to do with what we were discussing earlier, I am at a total loss.

Om Namah Shivaya

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
ANTI-RELIGION or Anyone else that can enlighten,

I really liked the Sri Auribindo quote you gave in post #2.

What is you interpretation of the following sentence from his quote:

The fourth discovery is that mind is not only independent of external matter, but its master; it can not only reject and control external stimuli, but can defy such apparently universal material laws as that of gravitation

Defying gravity?? Is he referring to Siddhi's or Yogic powers (paranormal abilities in western terminology)? If so, why does he state it as a 'given' when western science does not accept such abilities?

Amrut

Aum - Advaita

The fourth discovery is that mind is not only independent of external matter, but its master; it can not only reject and control external stimuli, but can defy such apparently universal material laws as that of gravitation

Defying gravity?? Is he referring to Siddhi's or Yogic powers (paranormal abilities in western terminology)? If so, why does he state it as a 'given' when western science does not accept such abilities?

Namaste,

This is explained in Patanjali Yoga Sutra, in fact various siddhis are explained in Yoga Sutra. Shiva Samhita also contains some info about siddhis.

Please understand that later on Maharshi Patanjali later says that Siddhis are obstacles to Self Realization.

Yog is not dependent upon western science nor does it ask for any authenticity from western science. Infact there are experiments going on for levitation in which nano particles are levitated to small heights. Can't remember the exact source but i have heard it.

Aum

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Namaste,

This is explained in Patanjali Yoga Sutra, in fact various siddhis are explained in Yoga Sutra. Shiva Samhita also contains some info about siddhis.

Please understand that later on Maharshi Patanjali later says that Siddhis are obstacles to Self Realization.

Yog is not dependent upon western science nor does it ask for any authenticity from western science. Infact there are experiments going on for levitation in which nano particles are levitated to small heights. Can't remember the exact source but i have heard it.

Aum

Yes. yes. yes. I am non-Indian and am so grateful for India's contribution to spiritual knowledge.

As you know most westerners don't think like me. I guess one issue I probably spend too much time thinking about (and debating endlessly on this forum) is atheistic-materialism. They claim there is zero real evidence of the paranormal.

Because Sri Aorobindo experienced levitation at some point of time. Sri A. is dead frank in his teachings, his writings are more of "observational", I guess that is why he is so much appreciated by many.

Understandably, I can't either support or refute the statement. At worst one can say Sri A, had delusion.

Amrut

Aum - Advaita
Because Sri Aorobindo experienced levitation at some point of time. Sri A. is dead frank in his teachings, his writings are more of "observational", I guess that is why he is so much appreciated by many.

Understandably, I can't either support or refute the statement. At worst one can say Sri A, had delusion.

Namaste KT :)

AFAIK, Sri A was a great Yogi, except that he renounced moksha our of compassion. He wanted many others to transcend duality.

Patanjali Sutra does talk about levitation.

Aum

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist

What I take this to imply, is that the concept of 'mind' as Sri Aurobindo writes, is beyond the 'laws of physics' having, in fact 'mastered them'.

Gravity was just the obvious example given - as Newton also testified to.

However, this all comes with a huge catch. To 'reject and control external stimuli', one must first realise the true nature of that external stimuli and why it is still, well...'external'.

I believe we, as humans have much more potential than what we are currently aware of. What we are 'unaware of' are called 'siddhis'....but they are not always obvious.

I mean, we still have to activate our dormant Pineal Glands for this to happen and become very austere in our beliefs and practices.

Yeah, but Siddhis are a barrier to actual progress on the spiritual path...my Lord sees this all the time when He gives boons, when His holy Darshan should be way more than enough...oh mighty Ravana, you could have been so much more....*sigh*

*case in point - Bhasmasura

I shall stop now. lol

Om Namah Shivay

Last edited: