• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question to Athiests.

hadeka

Hi

I realy want to ask an important question to people who doesnts believe in the existance of god, because i would like to share information and opinions.

the question is:

What is the proofs or the non-existance of god?

what is the major proofs that god doesnt exist?

i will wait for the answers pls

Thank you

Hadeka.

tumble_weed

uhh...>_< I hate it when that happens...the computer...stuffed up so now I have to rewrite this whole thing....oh well...

since both of your questions are pretty similar and are asking about the same thing I'll just answer why I don't believe that god exists...oh and the plural of proof is just proof...

first of all there is no proof at all that God...just like there is no proof that anything doesn't actually exist, but it is possible to say that it is most likely that God doesn't actually exist...for example...imagine if I tell you that there is a giant invisible shoe floating above your head which for some reason cannot be percieved at all, you would probably not believe me...as there are more logical reasons why the shoe is most likely not to be floating above your head, right? Just as you can make a judgement to if the tooth fairy really exists...

anyway I wont post what I wrote before...I wrote about 300 words...but I can't really be bothered writing it out again...I might later...but anyway I said something along the lines of that believeing in god has positive psychological properties and that belif in something that's constantly watching over us can give us hope

...I might post some stuff later...

Ceridwen018

ack! tumble_weed that sucks! I feel for ya! *grumble*stupid computers*grumble*

In answer to your question, Hadeka, I would first have to agree with tumble_weed. I'd like to add, that in science, lack of proof and evidence warrants lack of existence, and like tumble_weed mentioned, it is pretty much impossible to find evidence AGAINST something when it never existed in the first place. I guess if archeologists were to uncover an ancient stone tablet reading 'There is no god!' that would certainly be something, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

If you hold out belief in something simply because there is no proof against it, then you would also have to hold out belief for unicorns, leprecauns, the Loch Ness monster, Big Foot, and the rest of the gang.

I also don't believe in god because all of the supposed 'proof and evidence' FOR god is incredibly contradictory and full of holes.

I'm very interested in what you have to say--this seems like it could be a great discussion!

tumble_weed

yup thanks XD

lets see what I can conjure up now

another reason is that Animals don't appear to believe in God or Gods etc...You don't see animals worshiping, praying....od displaying religious beliefs in any way...It only seems to be the animals who have the capability for imagination, which are Humans...We have the capability to imagine things, come up with abstract ideas etc...which could explain the existence or "existence" of God...which ties in with what I was saying about psychological effects of believing in God. Remember how powerful the mind is!! (that needs two exclamation marks)

one more point is that it cannot be proven that God created everything...there are many other equally as plausible explanations of how things came to be. Also if you think about it saying God made everythings seems like an easy way of explaining something and as you know this world is very complex...
Ie...
"why do _________exist?"
"God made them."
so having a simple explanation of how something happened is sometimes nicer and easier especially when there are things which cannot be scientifically proven yet ...so linking them with something such as an ultimate Creator is a nice way to easily explain a problem when it cannot be explained in other ways. Much like the tooth fairy.

Also as Ceridwen018 says

"I also don't believe in god because all of the supposed 'proof and evidence' FOR god is incredibly contradictory and full of holes."

See the thing is Christianity is based mainly over a book and the problem with that is the type of logic that the book is God's word supposedly written by God, which is a problem since it is just like me writing a book on how cool I am, the problem with that book is that it's my viewpoint about me and doesn't offer any alternative ideas or ways of thinking...and it is my personal view on me. So it can only be very subjective.

Also another thing I thing is who God is...because never anywhere is it stated exactly who he is, how he got here and why did he invent us. Actually if you think about it you somehow need to think why did God create absolutely everything...did he have a cause...?

etc...

in fact check out the rest of the atheism forum and the debates forum for other ideas etc...

hadeka--

Before anything can be disproved, there must be a definition of it in the first place. Could you offer a definition of God for us to work with?

For example, in the past, God was defined (partly) as the cause of things which appear to us to have no cause. Ancient humans had no idea what caused the wind to blow....but no one likes saying "I do not know what causes the wind to blow". So, "God" causes it. Nowadays we know what causes wind (temperature variations in the atmosphere, etc). However, if you told ancient peoples that God = temperature variations in the atmosphere, you would probably be stoned to death.

HelpMe

·´sociopathic meanderer`·
another reason is that Animals don't appear to believe in God or Gods etc...You don't see animals worshiping, praying....od displaying religious beliefs in any way...It only seems to be the animals who have the capability for imagination, which are Humans...
well, according to christianity animals don't have spirit or free will, they were made to be in subjection to us and/or for our/'god''s amusement i suppose.

i would like to know how you athiests believe everything started.i think that since we are in a watch, it is interesting for us to find how this watch works, but i'd like to know your idea of who wound this watch up?was it a ball of gas perpetually heating up for no apparent reason?

--S

Runt

Gerani1248,
It has been taken care of.

Throw-Jew-Down-the-well,
Please respond directly to the original post. The questions are "What are the proofs for the non-existance of god? What are the major proofs that god doesnt exist?" Saying there is no proof for the existence of God does not answer the question. Nor do your comments about sheep or Jews. For this reason your post has been edited.

Confused

With many atheists, they tend to believe that science was the base of all existence and life coming to be. Its what i think anyway and it seems more reliable...

Socrates498

I grew up going to Catholic schools and constantly find myself question my faith, after all thats what christianity is all about "faith seeking understanding" . In my opinion the bible was a book written for the people of its time (mostly a people who were being persecuted by their rulers) A time were laws did not protect the average person, chaos ruled. Life expectancy was very short, so the people needed and yearned for more out of life. Here comes a man of humble origins promising exactly what these people are looking for "Everlasting Life" in death. This type of mentality carried on beyond the mans death. Now it is known as Faith, why? because no one has ever returned to prove this theory. So I believe in the man Jesus. I believe he existed and he helped many people deal with situations beyond their control. I still have problems believing in God as a spiritual entity who is watching over us Letting things like Terrorism happen in his world. I do not interpret the bible in a literal sense, I guess you can say I approach it in a historical perspective. I hope this helps. =)

Blusatin7

First of all, I whole-heartedly agree with tumble_weed. Religion was originally created to give hope to those who had nothing to look forward to in their pathetic lives, such as peasants and the "untouchables". Therefore, the idea of an afterlife to those who followed the path of rigtheousness and purity gave these sad people something to look forward to. The rulers saw this as an opportunity to stop rebellions of the unhappy people who made up the lower castes, and promoted these religions involving an afterlife to those who are cooperative and kind to not only their own, but also surrounding societies. I have no proof debating the existence of a divine spirit, but that is a rebuttle of religion on general.

meogi

hadeka said:
It's not logically possible to disprove a negative. So there are none. As others in this thread have stated, there is no model of god for us to go off of. What we can do, is show that the evidence supportive of a god is false or otherwise dis-credible. I have yet to find something relating to a god that I couldn't show as wrong or just a belief.
HelpMe said:
i would like to know how you athiests believe everything started.
I honestly don't know how everything started, as no one does. Does that mean we never will? No, I'm certain someday (if we survive as a species long enough) we'll come up with a reason. Doesn't help with explaining things as they are now, but that's what motivates us to search for the answer. Religion (generally) hinders that search, as there is no need to look for a reason when you just believe that an all powerful god just whipped us up and made us what we are.
HelpMe said:
was it a ball of gas perpetually heating up for no apparent reason?
My own idea comes from the fact that the universe was just pure energy (and whooboy, lots of it) in a vast nothingness that we consider the universe. For some reason (that's what will be hard to explain, with this theory anyway), this energy reacted and turned into matter. Everything follows from that. I havn't looked into the big bang theory at all (mental note: do it) so I'm not sure how that theory works, or if it's correlated to my own.

And yes, religion is very much a product of societal life. Origionally came as an idea to explain the unexplainable, turned into a way to comfort the self about dead loved ones, and finally as a way to give meaning to one's seemingly bleak existance. Now it is passed down from generation to generation, each religion different in different parts of the world. If you grew up in America, chances are you'd be a member of one of the sects of christianity, in Japan you'd be raised buddhist, in India you'd be raised Hindu. Doesn't mean that you WILL believe what you're raised, but you're more likely to be whatever the religion of your area is than another.

Phew, what a first post. Btw, hello everyone! ;)

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
hadeka said:
Hi

I realy want to ask an important question to people who doesnts believe in the existance of god, because i would like to share information and opinions.

the question is:

i will wait for the answers pls

Thank you

Hadeka.
In my opinion, there is no proof that God exists and no proof that He does not exist. With me, it's more a matter of logic than proof. I find most religious concepts--based on an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent God--to be illogical. So in my opinion, God does not exist.

Hadeka.[/QUOTE]

Faust

Meogi is right, you can't prove a negative.
How could you possibly prove that something doesn't exist?

lousyskater

there is no proof of the non-existance of god, as is there is no proof of the existance of god. unless god himself came down to earth and showed himself, it will never be proven.
as for me, i don't believe in any supreme being because of the stuff that happens on this puny piece of dirt floating through space.

i would like to know how you athiests believe everything started.

i don't know. we may never know. chances are that the human race will be gone within the next 100,000 years.

LUKAS

hey there!
first off, you CAN'T prove the non-existence of something!!!
second, I agree with some ideas the atheists hold, and I'm still cristhian! as long as you guys try to do the best thing every time you can, it doesn't matter if you're atheist, agnostic, jewish or whatever, you have to be a good person!! that's what Jesus told us (and, by the way, I think that's great). alot of people need some kind of teacher or master to follow, and that's not bad, religion is something like that. I think god does exist, that's my onthology, but I don't think chsistianity is the only answer, it's just the best answer for me! if you guys don't believe in god, that's right, but try to be good, that's the only thing that matters. can't we see the world falling apart?? we need to do something.
well, that's enogh for today, bye

Yerda

Veteran Member
LUKAS said:
hey there!
first off, you CAN'T prove the non-existence of something!!!
second, I agree with some ideas the atheists hold, and I'm still cristhian! as long as you guys try to do the best thing every time you can, it doesn't matter if you're atheist, agnostic, jewish or whatever, you have to be a good person!! that's what Jesus told us (and, by the way, I think that's great). alot of people need some kind of teacher or master to follow, and that's not bad, religion is something like that. I think god does exist, that's my onthology, but I don't think chsistianity is the only answer, it's just the best answer for me! if you guys don't believe in god, that's right, but try to be good, that's the only thing that matters. can't we see the world falling apart?? we need to do something.
well, that's enogh for today, bye
That was refreshing.

I agree that we should try to be good people. I also think the vast majority are trying, but 'good' is relative to religion, like truth. Christians may contradict Muslims when they talk of doing 'good'.

Littlefoot

Hmmm lets see. some of the biggies

The argument from evil is probably the most popular. In short the world is so messed up that no loving being ever could have made it

Argument from lack of proof.. ie there's no evidence that god exists when there should be.. why beleive it? Absence of evidence when such evidence could reasonably be expected is evidence of absence.

Argument from gods evil acts.. bascially the idea that the bibical god is such a bloodthirsty monster that he can't be God, since God is usualy defined as good.

Argument from The god of the gaps. Basiclaly, every time there has been an unexplained phenomenon, somoene has said "God did it" . Every time thats happened, someone has come along and shown how it could happen without god. We're getting to the point where god realy has nothing to do.