• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question to all

firedragon

Veteran Member
Definitely.

I've maintained for a while now that religion is a personal thing, not a community thing.

Ontologically, that could be absolutely true. But people tend to always communicate with each other. And they will always try to find commonalities to communicate. Protocols. Metaphors and Symbols. So invariably religion or anything for that matter will turn into a community thing.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Some religious texts specifically call on the believer to go out and "spread the good news." It prescribes that the believer go out and try to convince other people of the veracity of the claims the text makes. I would assume that this means to approach those that do not already believe as they do - because relaying the information to the other believers (who already have it) doesn't make much sense.
Yes, this is true.
But maybe the way it is done better, is when a believers action and words portray their belief, so if they speak of their faith the result is seen in their action and words and not in a line like " if you do not follow MY God, you going to hell"

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

Yes, this is true.
But maybe the way it is done better, is when a believers action and words portray their belief, so if they speak of their faith the result isseen in their action and words and not in a line like " if you do not follow MY God, you going to hell"
I agree wholeheartedly, CT.

If someone is just keen on helping others out, and displaying a love for all of mankind such that most are not simply not used to, then naturally I would think the response would be for some to seek them out and ask "Why do you do this, when so many others do not?", and from there can start the dialogue of what drives them to do as they do. Be that a belief, or a core set of principles, etc. Not an attempt to "win" converts... but to love people enough that they feel good enough from that to want to get in on it and pass it on. It, at least, sounds nice... or nicer, as the case may be.

InvestigateTruth

I wonder about one thing.

When a religious text gives guidelines, rules or commandments, isn't these guidelines, rules and Commandments only meant for those who follow that specific religious practice?

So if a religious person try to push those rules onto others who either follow a different religious teaching or onto someone who has no religious beliefs or wishes to follow those rules,
Isn't that person acting against their own faith :confused:
The Prophets are like counselors. They give the best advise, and way of life. It is for everyone to obey and follow those teachings as best as they can.
But They, only The Prophets can ask people to obey and follow them. No one else is given such an authority to tell others to obey the so and so teachings.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The Prophets are like counselors. They give the best advise, and way of life. It is for everyone to obey and follow those teachings as best as they can.
But They, only The Prophets can ask people to obey and follow them. No one else is given such an authority to tell others to obey the so and so teachings.
I am unsure about one thing. Did Muhammad or Jesus ever asked people to obey them? Or was it meant as a guidance of obey Allah and it will go well for you.

Orbit

I'm a planet

When a religious text gives guidelines, rules or commandments, isn't these guidelines, rules and Commandments only meant for those who follow that specific religious practice?

So if a religious person try to push those rules onto others who either follow a different religious teaching or onto someone who has no religious beliefs or wishes to follow those rules,

In answer to your first question: yes, it only applies to followers of that religion

In answer to your second question: not necessarily. Evangelical Christians, for example, interpret the Bible as commanding them to convert others, so they are not acting against their own faith.

Azrael Antilla

Quite. When religious believers expect me to value their moral narratives with similar reverence and respect, as they do, I have to laugh internally, the inherently presumptuous arrogance is entirely amusing.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

To “push...onto others”? No.

But to give others an opportunity to hear? Yes, definitely!
As JWs, we apply Paul’s words at 1 Corinthians 9:16, personally.

But we try not to be ’pushy’. Not anymore. There was a time, though..... but no longer.

If a person takes seriously the words of John 17:3, it would be loving to let others know.

Last edited:

InvestigateTruth

I am unsure about one thing. Did Muhammad or Jesus ever asked people to obey them? Or was it meant as a guidance of obey Allah and it will go well for you.
Yes in my understanding they did.
A verse in the Quran says, obey Allah and obey the Messenger. From Quranic perspective both are required. In fact, a verse says, whoever obeys the Messenger, obeys Allah.

Azrael Antilla

But we try not to be’pushy’. Not anymore. There was a time, though..... but no longer.
True from my experience.
No longer do religious evangelists come to my door. One good thing about Covid 19 and societal distancing etc. I don't have to patiently yet firmly ask such visitors to remove themselves from my property anymore.

Azrael Antilla

Yes in my understanding they did.
A verse in the Quran says, obey Allah and obey the Messenger. From Quranic perspective both are required. In fact, a verse says, whoever obeys the Messenger, obeys Allah.
You would have to employ force or threat of execution. To make me do as the Koran or any other religious text commanded. I do not obey long dead iron age men. I never will. Unless conversion is compulsory on pain of death.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

But we try not to be ’pushy’. Not anymore. There was a time, though..... but no longer.

If a person takes seriously the words of Colossians 3:5-6, it would be loving to let others know.
Actually, the most fun people to discuss religion with here in Norway are the JW :) never met one pushy or harmful JW