• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question For EV Present and Future Owners

Clizby Wampuscat

As most of us know federal and state fuel taxes go to help pay for road infastruture. Question is how do you think EV owners should pay for road infastruture. With fuel tax the more miles you drove the more fuel you burned and the more tax you paid.
We should go to a mileage tax every year when you get your EV safety inspected they calculate the mileage travelled and assess the tax. This seems the easiest and most efficient way.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Is electricity not taxed in your country?

I understand only a small percentage of fuel tax goes towards road infrastructure and maintenance.

Its up to the government how they divide tax income among various projects
Another way to milk the public.

Twilight Hue

We should go to a mileage tax every year when you get your EV safety inspected they calculate the mileage travelled and assess the tax. This seems the easiest and most efficient way.
Here's a novel idea. Forget yet another lame excuse to just keep taxing people to death.

I guarantee it won't be cheaper. They will just make things more expensive than ever for the middle class and working poor.

Twilight Hue

I as an E.V, driver am doing my part to help save our Earth from devastating global warming. I'd like the wealthiest Americans to pay their fair share of taxes in order to help fund our environmentally friendly green infrastructure.
Remember that when you trash that chemical battery every 8 years. You will contribute to a whole new toxic chemistry mountain in the making at the landfill.

That will be great for the environmen..

Twilight Hue

Ok, thanks for the clarification. But there is a yearly inspection that the mileage can be recorded, it is being recorded anyway. Or maybe NY taxes it every two years.
Ny won't just tax it, they will also add a generous surcharge and processing fee for you to pay on top if it all I'll bet.

Twilight Hue

I think EV owners should pay for the roads as well.
I get your point but wouldn't it be wonderful if for once, something can be actually be purchased and used without having a tax man trying to grab yet more money out of people?

That would make for a powerful incentive as well.

Anyways they will probably charge at the station per kilowatt.

esmith

Veteran Member
Yes. When you renew your car's registration each year, you report your car's odo reading and confirm that it's insured.

If you're in a state that doesn't do this... it would be an easy change.

Lots of insurance companies now offer a GPS dongle-thing that plugs into your OBD2 port. It's entirely voluntary - you can sign up if you want. When you do, the insurance company monitors your driving and gives you a discount based on how well you stick to the speed limit and avoid heavy acceleration and braking.

Don't they have these in the US?
Don't know never investigated.

Altfish

Veteran Member
You would have to have the charger on its own meter.

IMO, it's better to avoid proxies for the thing we care about regulating whenever we can.

If it's distance driven that imposes the cost on society or government, then tax based on distance driven. Taxing electricity consumption as a proxy for vehicle usage will end up creating similar problems to what happened with taxing gasoline as a proxy for vehicle usage.

I mean, even before plug-in electrics were a thing, we had hybrids that were throwing off the correlation between gas consumption and distance driven.
It would be so easy to by-pass the car meter

Clizby Wampuscat

I get your point but wouldn't it be wonderful if for once, something can be actually be purchased and used without having a tax man trying to grab yet more money out of people?

That would make for a powerful incentive as well.

Anyways they will probably charge at the station per kilowatt.
What taxes do you think are justified?

esmith

Veteran Member
We pay more in registration and tabs every year, as opposed to fuel taxes. (We own a Prius)
So is the registration based on the value of the car, type of car (EV, fossile), miles driven, or just plain fees?
Edit: and we could always raise electricity tax for those that have plug in hybrids, or full EVs.
And as a previous poster indicated, how would you differentiate between car and house?