• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Anti-Trump Democrats

ecco

Veteran Member
PG_2018.10.1_U.S.-Image_0-5.png
WOW!

ecco

Veteran Member
Look at history.

what is one of the very first things that any conqueror/dictator/absolutist king taking over a culture does?
One of the first things a wannabe dictator does is diminish the Free Press.

One thing that Donald Trump did from the time he started running, was to diminish the Free Press, at least in the eyes of his sheeples.

When the process is complete the Nation is left with just one or a handful of media outlets all tightly controlled by the Dictator.

The next thing a wannabe dictator does, if he can, is imprison members of "the opposition". Donald Trump was not powerful enough to do that but he did call for some opposition members to be locked up.

This is what you were referring to, isn't it?

ecco

Veteran Member
That's fine and I agree that it's a fair point to make when a government removes the ability of civilians to defend themselves.

However, now we get into the details... The US government only allows citizens to arm themselves with small arms. Compared to all the arsenal the US government and other governments, these small arms are equivalent to basically nothing. Civilians have no chance against a government with the current rules so, in fact, the US government is already banning weapons that can help citizens effectively defend themselves. Let me repeat that... In fact, THE US GOVERNMENT HAS ALREADY STRIPPED THE RIGHTS OF CITIZENS TO EFFECTIVELY DEFEND THEMSELVES..

If you want to make a case that citizens can EFFECTIVELY defend themselves from a government, and I do mean EFFECTIVELY, then the second amendment as it is interpreted to only allow smalls arms is a failure.
Your post clearly shows the hypocrisy of the 2nd amendment proponents.

ecco

Veteran Member
Sentiments and viewpoints aside, I image that a lot of folks who flaunt their open carry to make a statement, especially at political rallies while all decked out in their 'tacticool' gear, would **** themselves in terror if/when it actually came time to engage in armed combat. For most it's simply LARP/cosplay level posturing and fantasy.
Many of these same people also have shelters stocked with six months supply of food so they can hide when the S hits the Fan.

dianaiad

One of the first things a wannabe dictator does is diminish the Free Press.

One thing that Donald Trump did from the time he started running, was to diminish the Free Press, at least in the eyes of his sheeples.

When the process is complete the Nation is left with just one or a handful of media outlets all tightly controlled by the Dictator.

The next thing a wannabe dictator does, if he can, is imprison members of "the opposition". Donald Trump was not powerful enough to do that but he did call for some opposition members to be locked up.

This is what you were referring to, isn't it?

Given the current media bias and who has been given the prison sentences, why....no. At least, not in terms of Trump doing those things.

It's not the liberals who have lost the freedom to speak freely.

ecco

Veteran Member
Since invited personal judgment.....
We don't think much of your hypocrisy & rationalizations either.

What was I rationalizing?

The post made the argument that citizens with even semiautomatic weapons were no match for jets and tanks.

I was agreeing with that argument.

If that argument is valid, then basing gun ownership rights on it is nonsensical and, in my opinion, hypocritical.

Perhaps you believe that citizens armed with the weapons legally allowed are a match for tanks, planes, and tomahawk missiles.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
One thing that Donald Trump did from the time he started running, was to diminish the Free Press

The free press has done a pretty good job of diminishing and deligitimizing themselves all on their own.
-Church burning in Birmingham
(White Supremacists/Trump responsible)
-MAGA hat Covington teen
-Russia collusion for two years
-Trump/Hitler salute at rallies

I know there are others

POST MUELLER REPORT:
-Trump cheats at golf
Lol!!!

ecco

Veteran Member
Given the current media bias
Right. You have just verified my argument that Trump and others of his ilk have poisoned a segment of Americans (~35%) against the media.

and who has been given the prison sentences,

No one went to prison because a powerful person said "Lock them up" or for hastily installed "laws".

People went to prison because they broke long-standing laws. Cohen: The counts against Cohen included tax fraud, false statements to a bank and campaign finance violations tied to his work for Trump, including payments Cohen made or helped orchestrate that were designed to silence women who claimed affairs with the then-candidate.

It's not the liberals who have lost the freedom to speak freely.
In what instances have you lost the freedom to speak freely?

I have seen many protest demonstrations of people exercising their right to speak freely. Charlottesville comes to mind. The only person arrested there, as far as I know, is someone drove a car through into a group of people with views opposite his.

ecco

Veteran Member
The free press has done a pretty good job of diminishing and deligitimizing themselves all on their own.
Instead of trying to address your long list, let's take just one off the top.

Please show what the press did to delegitimize themselves regarding the Church burning in Birmingham.

I googled Church burning in Birmingham and this came up.
16th Street Baptist Church bombing - Wikipedia
The 16th Street Baptist Church bombing was an act of white supremacist terrorism which occurred at the African American 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama, on Sunday, September 15, 1963, when four members of the Ku Klux Klan planted at least 15 sticks of dynamite attached to a timing device beneath the ...​

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What was I rationalizing?
You generalized about all 2nd Amendment fans.
I generalized about all of its opponents.

As for.....
The post made the argument that citizens with even semiautomatic weapons were no match for jets and tanks.
It's disingenuous to look only at conflicts involving jets & tanks against
small arms. Modern conflicts around the world still involve the latter.
Tanks & airplanes have yet to eliminate soldiers using small arms.
If that argument is valid, then basing gun ownership rights on it is nonsensical and, in my opinion, hypocritical.
It is nonsensical to base your argument upon ignoring
scenarios other than jets & tanks vs small arms.
So your accusation of hypocrisy smacks of trying to
win an argument with insults rather than reason.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
(White Supremacists/Trump responsible)
-MAGA hat Covington teen
-Russia collusion for two years
-Trump/Hitler salute at rallies

I know there are others

POST MUELLER REPORT:
-Trump cheats at golf
Lol!!!
Most importantly, anti-Trumpettes cannot cite a single legal restriction imposed upon the press.
They're claiming he's dictatorial because he's publicly fighting with them.
This is absurd.
The 1st Amendment doesn't guarantee the press won't be insulted.
In fact, it protects the right to insult them.
So instead of abridging the 1st Amendment, Trump is exercising his right under it.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Instead of trying to address your long list, let's take just one off the top.

Please show what the press did to delegitimize themselves regarding the Church burning in Birmingham.

I googled Church burning in Birmingham and this came up.
16th Street Baptist Church bombing - Wikipedia
The 16th Street Baptist Church bombing was an act of white supremacist terrorism which occurred at the African American 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama, on Sunday, September 15, 1963, when four members of the Ku Klux Klan planted at least 15 sticks of dynamite attached to a timing device beneath the ...​

Which has absolutely nothing to do with Trump or the coverage of the burning shortly before the 2016 U.S. election so what is your point?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Most importantly, anti-Trumpettes cannot cite a single legal restriction imposed upon the press.
They're claiming he's dictatorial because he's publicly fighting with them.
This is absurd.
The 1st Amendment doesn't guarantee the press won't be insulted.
In fact, it protects the right to insult them.
So instead of abridging the 1st Amendment, Trump is exercising his right under it.

I've seen that as well, some seem to hide behind free speech when flinging s*** but cry foul when someone points out what they are doing.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've seen that as well, some seem to hide behind free speech when flinging s*** but cry foul when someone points out what they are doing.
They see what they want to see.
Want to see him as a dictator?
Any criticism of the liberal press is consistent with oppression.
But their own criticism of Fox News is freedom.
And when Obama does it....no problem.
When Obama went to war on Fox News

Last edited:

dianaiad

Right. You have just verified my argument that Trump and others of his ilk have poisoned a segment of Americans (~35%) against the media.

No one went to prison because a powerful person said "Lock them up" or for hastily installed "laws".

People went to prison because they broke long-standing laws. Cohen: The counts against Cohen included tax fraud, false statements to a bank and campaign finance violations tied to his work for Trump, including payments Cohen made or helped orchestrate that were designed to silence women who claimed affairs with the then-candidate.

In what instances have you lost the freedom to speak freely?

I have seen many protest demonstrations of people exercising their right to speak freely. Charlottesville comes to mind. The only person arrested there, as far as I know, is someone drove a car through into a group of people with views opposite his.

Good grief. I don't know that I could get through this amount of disconnect, frankly....

but NO liberal has had their accounts cancelled by Youtube or Facebook or Twitter. Conservatives, however, have. Conservatives have been, however. I can't think of a single instance where a Liberal has had his/her speaking engagement canceled because of their political views, but it happens to conservatives all the time. MOST media outlets are biased left...Huffington Post, Washington Post, CNN, MSNBC are biased way left....which wouldn't bug me except that they CLAIM to be unbiased. The problem is, they treat straight news as opinion pieces, slanted left.

It wasn't too long ago that the 'women's march' (remember that one?) refused to allow conservative women to travel with them on the transportation arranged to get them back east. Shoot, you didn't even have to be conservative; just against abortion on demand.

I know too many entertainment figures who do not DARE be conservative unless they are 'superstars,' and even then it's dicey. I know one man who had many weekend gigs in the LA area and was friendly with most of the local singers/songwriters....until he 'came out' as a conservative. All his gigs dried up and flew away. Had he come out as gay or transgender, he would have been celebrated...but as a conservative? Nope.

Freedom of speech? Not even remotely close...and the liberals need to remember that the First Amendment was not written to protect the freedom of speech of those with whom we agree. It was written to protect the freedom of speech of those with whom we do NOT agree, so that when they (as 'they' inevitably do) come to power, they can't squash us.

No, ecco, I have had the unusual experience of going to college late in life; in my fifties, actually, before I got my first degree. I have seen first hand the incredible repression of 'free speech' on the college campuses. I could, and did, speak my mind...but since I was not only older than all the other students and frequently older than the professors, I 'got away' with stuff a 20 year old wouldn't dare say. Since I was also a bit of an autodidact I usually knew the material as well as, if not better than, the teacher. So I had more freedom than most...but I certainly saw what happened to any other student who opened his/her mouth and questioned the far left mindset of academe. They couldn't do much to ME. After all, I came from the 'real world' and could argue with them...but they could certainly brainwash the 19/20 year olds, and they did.

I saw more than one young student hounded out of a class because s/he wasn't sufficiently politically correct, and I have personally seen previously invited conservatives become 'uninvited' to speaking engagements because nobody wanted to let them speak.

If you are so brainwashed that you can't see the bias, I can't help you. Really. I can't. Nobody can.

The saddest thing about the media is that there aren't any unbiased ones out there, not one. Every single one of them is politically slanted one way or the other, and the vast majority of 'em are slanted left.

And yes, I am aware that Fox News slants right. The difference is, Fox News doesn't pretend NOT to slant right, and they do differentiate opinion programs from straight news reporting. I wish all the others did the same.