• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for all religions on here

Frank Goad

I have a question for all of you.What is better?Praying to God for lucid dreaming and astral projection ability?Or just winging it and trying to do it by self-inducing it?

whirlingmerc

I have a question for all of you.What is better?Praying to God for lucid dreaming and astral projection ability?Or just winging it and trying to do it by self-inducing it?

I would avoid lucid dreaming and astral projection.... they are distractions

A good prayer to God at first is calling on Jesus name for salvation
"the Son of man came not to be served but to serve and give His life a ransom for others" Jesus and so let Jesus serve you first then you can serve him

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Neither. There is no need for either. The question assumes there's a need for it, or it's somehow beneficial.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Research, research, research, and practice practice, practice are what allows one to dabble in those endeavors, not prayer. Although, prayers for guidance or support wouldn't be unheard of, or unreasonable.

Check your local library for books on the topic, there is usually a neat metaphysical section.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Neither for me. Praying that I would become more like Jesus. He had no need for lucid dreaming or astral projection... he just went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed of the devil.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Is there a practical application for these? If so, what?

arthra

Baha'i

So the question is "for all on here."

Baha'is generally are not interested in supernatural phenomena and I doubt we would pray for say "lucid dreaming" or "astral projection".

Our prayers are usually for healing, overcoming tests and difficulties, forgiveness, families, gatherings, protection, departed souls, marriage, children, mankind, etc. You can find many of these prayers at
Bahá’í Prayers

Shoghi Effendi has written:

"Briefly, there is no question that visions occasionally do come to some individuals, which are true and have significance. On the other hand, this comes to an individual through the grace of God, and not through the exercise of any of the human faculties. It is not a thing which a person should try to develop. When a person endeavours to develop faculties so that they might enjoy visions, dreams etc., actually what they are doing is weakening certain of their spiritual capacities; and thus under such circumstances, dreams and visions have no reality, and ultimately lead to the destruction of the character of the person."7

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
How is lucid dreaming supernatural? It's just realizing you are dreaming, and taking control of the dream. You can trigger lucid dreaming by mindful walking--*knowing* that you are *actually* walking when you are walking. Then you will be able to recognize when you are *not actually walking* that you are dreaming. There's nothing supernatural about that.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Neither are really my bag, but I view both as completely harmless activities. However, most mainstream religions equate such practices to sorcery or witchcraft so your mileage may vary with how acceptable that concept is to those around you. Most of the commentary here will undoubtedly be tinged by the biases and fear instilled by whatever nonsense the individual poster tends to believe on faith.

To me, these are interesting diversions which merely utilize your born-in abilities. I do not see them as evil or misguided any more than I'd judge any other natural biological function as such. (It seems completely silly to me...) But, I fail to find where prayer would help you since that doesn't involve any effort on your part. Most skills in this realm require years of practice to master, and begging your deity of choice isn't going to get you there any faster.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
How is lucid dreaming supernatural? It's just realizing you are dreaming, and taking control of the dream. You can trigger lucid dreaming by mindful walking--*knowing* that you are *actually* walking when you are walking. Then you will be able to recognize when you are *not actually walking* that you are dreaming. There's nothing supernatural about that.

How is anything supernatural? It's the most ludicrous idea from the start. :D If you've seen it, or even if your sense were tricked into seeing it through some sort of delusion it's still a natural manifestation. The whole idea of this is basically just an oversimplification for the plebs so they know all mystical / spiritual practices outside of their own are b-a-d. :D

chinu

chinu
Firstly, pray to God
To overcome the confusion.

Secondly, pray to God
For what "He" suggest you to pray for.

Simple :)