• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for all of the atheists on here

Frank Goad

In atheism the afterlife you go to is simply ceasing to exist on your deathbed.Why doesn't the idea of ceasing to exist forever not more scary to atheists?:eek:

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I find the idea liberating and not scary at all.

Then what's holding you back from leaving (not trying to start anything or be offensive, it's just a question that always comes up in my mind when I hear a response like this).

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In atheism the afterlife you go to is simply ceasing to exist on your deathbed.Why doesn't the idea of ceasing to exist forever not scary to atheists?:eek:
As far as I'm concerned , this is the afterlife.

Only the persona (ego) of who I think I am is going to die forever. Life however, I would think differently given I was, for all intents and purposes, essentially dead before I was born. I mean what's different about pre-birth and after post death?

I came out of the abyss well enough, so there's no actual reason why you would ever think that can't happen again.

If it was actually impossible we wouldn't even been born in the first place.

I strongly suspect the eyes will open again..... And again.... And again......

Lastly I don't own the universe. The universe owns me , and it's an impressive caretaker depending of course on points of view. ;0)

I'm pretty comfortable with that so far although I could have used a few tweaks on my present form as a human being if I had any choice on the matter.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
In atheism the afterlife you go to is simply ceasing to exist on your deathbed.Why doesn't the idea of ceasing to exist forever not more scary to atheists?:eek:

Whether it's game over when my character dies or whether it is brought back to life is up to my simulator/God. My character was non-existent before being programmed into our virtual reality, so if it's lights out and game over for me when the ionic currents stop flowing across my mind's neurons, then I'm merely back into non-existence where I was before my character was ever created.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Then what's holding you back from leaving (not trying to start anything or be offensive, it's just a question that always comes up in my mind when I hear a response like this).

There's no way to know with any degree of certainty if it's lights out and game over for any character whose ionic currents stop flowing across his mind's neurons. Hence, I'd highly advise any well-to-do character not to put the re-birth of his character to the test.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Everyone has their own view of the afterlife. I believe we no longer exist when there is no longer brain function nor heart (and body starts to decay). It is very hard to get through especially when going through the loss of a loved one. Some people, during that time, look towards an afterlife. Through my own medical experiences and death of two loved ones, I never have.

Since not all god-religions believe in an afterlife, I'm sure being an atheist has nothing to do with it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Many versions of Christianity teach a literal endless hell. Or a literal endless heaven that would eventually become a hell. No longer existing seems to be a more than reasonable alternative.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Many versions of Christianity teach a literal endless hell. Or a literal endless heaven that would eventually become a hell. No longer existing seems to be a more than reasonable alternative.

Do you mean eternity everywhere for anybody would inevitably get excruciating boring?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

I find ceasing to exist far more comforting than the idea of living forever. After the first few billion years, eternity would be pure hell.

And, for that matter, I've not existed prior to this: before I was born. I didn't find it bad at all.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?

Different atheists would have different answers because of varying life experiences of course.

For me, I know I have lived a great life and am very fortunate to have all I have. Love, family, adventure and enjoyment of life. To me, death is just another part of life. I don't want it to come early, but when it does I won't be afraid because it will be just like it was before I was conceived. Nothing. And I know I will be remembered well by those who loved me. If there is something else after death, so be it. But so far, there is no conclusive evidence for life after death or living on in some other worldly realm.

One of my favorite sayings is it's a good day to die, and if it ended that day I would be peaceful knowing I have lived a good life.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Aside from self preservation instinct?
Because I know what emotional damage is felt by the people left behind. I experienced it firsthand. Also being not particularly suicidal or depressed might have something to do with it.
Also why would you? (Aside from the aforementioned depression and/or suicidal tendencies.)

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I find ceasing to exist far more comforting than the idea of living forever. After the first few billion years, eternity would be pure hell.

And, for that matter, I've not existed prior to this: before I was born. I didn't find it bad at all.

What if your character were reborn each time after the ionic currents ceased flowing across the neurons of your character's mind with memory of your character's past life wiped-out so that repeated experiences between your character's past lives and current life seemed either new or less repetitive to you in your current life.?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What if your character were reborn each time after the ionic currents ceased flowing across the neurons of your character's mind with memory of your character's past life wiped-out so that repeated experiences between your character's past lives and current life seemed either new or less repetitive to you in your current life.?
The question then would be is that really you?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Yes. And if Hell is real how could a person take eternity knowing a loved one is in there. Hell would make heaven a hell even quicker.

Same question to you as I just asked Poly: What if your character were programmed back to life again each time after the ionic currents ceased flowing across the neurons of your character's mind with memory of your character's past life wiped-out so that repeated experiences between your character's past lives and current life seemed either new or less repetitive to you in your current life.