• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for all of the atheists on here

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
ChrstineM, BSM1, Lewisnotmiller. The point is our current life, which should be passed happily without harming others, and that is important. It is dissolution in nature after death, chemical recycling.

That is a wonderful personal view that many share. Another could be to pass on our genes. But in the perspective of the universe it is meaningless

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why even get up in the morning if there is nothing after this?

If there is something after this life then there is reason to learn as much as possible to carry over. If there is nothing after this then, again, what's the point of anything?
That's an extraordinarily bleak outlook on life.
I have of late—but wherefore I know not—lost all my mirth, forgone all custom of exercises, and indeed it goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory; this most excellent canopy, the air—look you, this brave o'erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire—why, it appears no other thing to me than a foul and pestilent congregation of vapors. -- Hamlet. A2S2. Wllm Shakespeare
Is there nothing to be said for just enjoying life as you live it? Must the prospect of death overshadow our every prospect for joy?
That's not what the debate is. Of course there really no way of knowing if there is a next level of awareness, but the question is if you believe there is more than this miserable existence we call life. If you don't believe there is no more after this world, then why bother to even exist, let alone put yourself through the agony of living?
"Miserable existence?" "Agony of living?"
Have you discontinued your Prozac?
Not everyone needs a divine, eternal purpose to enjoy life.

ChristineM

Premium Member

Because there is this. This is irrelevant to the universe. We are just a fraction of a fraction of squishy matter carrying atoms around

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My parents would say that nobody ever came back from the dead. However, as I began reading and believing the Bible, I see that some did come back from the dead.
This life is not all there is. God promises us a much, much better life than what we experience now, but as you said, there are many things we can enjoy in this life. We can look forward to, and hope, that God will bring this type of life to an end and grant those He desires to, life everlasting under wonderful conditions.
A very comforting hope, for sure.
I guess some people are just naturally anxious, and need a promise of eternal life; some are insecure, and need the reassurance of divine significance.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Need there be a point in living or after death? Is there a point to you or I living? Please don't say reproduction/survival of a species because that's on a species level, not individual level.

See my above posts. No there is no point to me or anyone else living other than a personal view. This planet would still be hear without me, or you.

Reproduction (which you banned me from mentioning) is important to me. But that, is irrelevant to the universal point.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That is a wonderful personal view that many share. Another could be to pass on our genes. But in the perspective of the universe it is meaningless
Are you other than the universe?
"Tat Twam Asi": You Are That.
"Ayamatma Brahman": This Self Is Brahman.
"Aham Brahmasmi": I Am Brahman.
"So Aham": I Am The Same.
"Sarvam Khalu Idam Brahma": All Things Here (are) Brahman.
"Eko Sad, Dwiteeyo Nasti": What Exists Is One, There Is No Second.
We are just a fraction of a fraction of squishy matter carrying atoms around
The whole universe is that only. :)

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The fractions are temporary and illusory. The water and carbon in my body will be part of the atmosphere in less than one hour after my cremation if the wind is helpful. I see my bones which would perhaps be immersed in River Ganges turning into a sandstone layer 50 million years from now. Hard facts, no escape. So, I don't worry. Will worrying help?

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
That's not what the debate is. Of course there really no way of knowing if there is a next level of awareness, but the question is if you believe there is more than this miserable existence we call life. If you don't believe there is no more after this world, then why bother to even exist, let alone put yourself through the agony of living?
Because life is joyful.

And extremely shiny.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
My parents would say that nobody ever came back from the dead. However, as I began reading and believing the Bible, I see that some did come back from the dead.

You should live with someone who talks with dead people; talk about reassurance...

Living is agony? May I suggest that many people need to change their life.
The point of living is what you make of life. People can think living is agony or live it to have fun. There is no redo.

Ever had a child die in your arms?

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, they will not care how devout you have been, but will embrace you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods but unjust, you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods then you will be gone, but had lived a good life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

This seems more reasonable to me than treating this life like a weigh station. And it wouldn't matter if Allah or Anubis were holding the scales because the purpose wouldnt be desperately trying to live up to whomever's expectations so you can get something out of it.

But what is a 'good life"?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

If there is something after this life then there is reason to learn as much as possible to carry over. If there is nothing after this then, again, what's the point of anything?

To learn as much as possible to carry over to the next day.

I mean, apart from scale, there appears no difference in terms of 'meaning'.