• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Strong/Weak Atheism

Animore

Could one, instead of saying that they just hold a lack of belief in a specific god or gods, say that they also believe that this god(s) do not exist, yet still hold that there is a possibility? If so, would this be considered strong or weak atheism?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Could one, instead of saying that they just hold a lack of belief in a specific god or gods, say that they also believe that this god(s) do not exist, yet still hold that there is a possibility? If so, would this be considered strong or weak atheism?

At the end of the day, what does boiling down and specifying the label really tell you?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It could clear up a misconception about someone, I don't know, I just had it on my mind.

I didn't mean to come off critical. I've just been through these phases, and the increased complexity and differentiation of atheism only seems to result in hair-splitting and increased ambiguity about atheism. Through over-explanation, atheism has been unnaturally bifurcated into countless variations, where, in reality, there are like 2 or 3 types of atheists, at most.

Animore

I didn't mean to come off critical. I've just been through these phases, and the increased complexity and differentiation of atheism only seems to result in hair-splitting and increased ambiguity about atheism. Through over-explanation, atheism has been unnaturally bifurcated into countless variations, where, in reality, there are like 2 or 3 types of atheists, at most.

That's fair enough.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist

Depends on what forum you're speaking in.
That is to say, the discussion will have different results in a philosophy forum rather than a science forum.
In the Atheist DIR, you have too many places to go.

To answer your question specifically, I believe it would be strong atheism.

[A small edit took place]

Curious George

Veteran Member
I believe no god exists. Is it possible I am wrong? Of course. Is it possible the sun will not rise tomorrow? Is it possible that free will doesn't exist? Is it possible that cause and effect do not exist? Of course. Yet everyday I act in accordance with beliefs on these matters. We must make assumptions in life and to pretend otherwise is silly.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Yes atheist about your God agnostic about a god

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.

So you can say there's a certainty that no god exists based on the available evidence (for which there is none). But if demonstrable evidence ever presented itself, you are able to use that evidence and change your opinion.

I think that would be weak atheism, because it suggests that there is still the potential for evidence to be found. If you're strong, then you'd be saying that no evidence will ever present itself to contradict your view.

I think.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

That's like saying, can we say there is a possibility that I have sixteen eyes even though I know there for believe there are only two (some have three or four given two headed birth)?

This is strong atheism. I know; therefore, I don't believe there are gods.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I am a so-called "strong" atheist in that I KNOW that no compelling evidence supporting the existence of god will EVER be presented. It is for that reason that I've left god concepts in the dustbin of useless ideas that are best forgotten entirely. All theists are welcome to prove me wrong. I will admit it if the evidence is compelling, but, for the most part all evidence thus far has been emotionally induced drivel.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Could one, instead of saying that they just hold a lack of belief in a specific god or gods, say that they also believe that this god(s) do not exist, yet still hold that there is a possibility?
There is a verse in BhagawadGita for such people (I do not know if you will be able to read it):

"Vyavasāyātmikā buddhih, ekeha, Kuru-nandana;
bahu-shākhā hi anantāh cha, buddhayah avyavasāyinām l"
BG 2.41

(The practical are resolute in purpose, and their aim is one. O beloved child of the Kurus (Arjuna), the mind of the irresolute is infinite-branched.)

I am a strong atheist. I strongly deny the possibility of existence of God/Gods

Rational Agnostic

Yes, and who cares whether your atheism is "strong" or "weak." These are arbitrary labels. Most self-proclaimed atheists are actually agnostic anyway.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
It all depends. There are formulations of gods out there that are logically impossible, that hold contradictory characteristics and cannot possibly exist. I see nothing wrong with believing those gods do not exist. But I believe that square circles don't exist too.

TruthEnder

Sounds like me. I don't really care for the modifying adjective, but if it helps, I consider myself a strong atheist.

Yes atheist about your God agnostic about a god
You don't have to be agnostic to allow for a possibility, nor does that possibility have to be limited to "a god."

"I believe your God does not exist, but I grant there's a possibility that your God does exist" It's that simple. That's *True Atheism*, LOL.

That's like saying, can we say there is a possibility that I have sixteen eyes even though I know there for believe there are only two (some have three or four given two headed birth)?

This is strong atheism. I know; therefore, I don't believe there are gods.

NO NO NO NO NO.

Altfish

Veteran Member
BUT... we can look at your head and see that you only have 2 eyes. That is evidence from which we can come to a conclusion.
Whereas there is no evidence for the existence of a god

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Lacking belief in gods, taken to mean that you believe gods don't exist, precludes you thinking that gods are possible.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Could one, instead of saying that they just hold a lack of belief in a specific god or gods, say that they also believe that this god(s) do not exist, yet still hold that there is a possibility?
Of course.

If so, would this be considered strong or weak atheism?
Personally, I find the terms "strong atheism" and "weak atheism" to be worse than useless. I've given up using them myself.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
BUT... we can look at your head and see that you only have 2 eyes. That is evidence from which we can come to a conclusion.
Whereas there is no evidence for the existence of a god

There is evidence of no existence of god. You have to process and elimente, understand psychology, and be open that "god" is not defined as something tangible; so, unlike actually looking at my eyes and finding proof, you have to find other methods appropriate to what youare trying to proove exist.

The more I hear countless people talk about god, the more I realize he is Not an entity. He is not something you can find evidence by probing through a microsope. Hes the experience, passion, love, mystery, wonder, etc within people ans however they discribe it always correlates to how they Feel and what they Believe not what they know.

I think you guys are using wrong methods to find evidence for god. I dont know. Be more open to other methods and perspectives and you can find proof the definition you may have of god (entity etc) may not exist.

Last edited:

ArtieE

Strong atheism. A strong atheist believes gods don't exist, he doesn't say there's no possibility that one or more gods exist. A gnostic atheist says he knows gods don't exist.