• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about sadhu's

My Dad said that after I work for a year (from the ages 18 to 19) that on my 19th birthday he will give me $5000 on top of the money I already made from that year so that I can go to India. He says that he thinks it would be good for me so that I can find myself and go to a more spiritual environment. My plan is to go to the Ashram's and to go to Varanasi, and other cool Temple's and things like that. But, a thought dawned upon me, if I go there and find a Guru that I really like and connect too could I become a Sadhu? I know that might be an odd question for a westerner to ask, but could I? Now, I know it would be a hard life and I may be a sort of an outcast, but Its something I would really do. Spirituality is the greatest thing in my life and living the life of a Sadhu would be very much worth it if it brings me closer to God.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It may be too soon to ask yourself that. But in principle, the path is open. Why wouldn't it be?

Andal

resident hypnotist
Namaskar,

Going to India will be a great experience for you. Varanasi is one of my favorite places and have spent a lot of time there :D My advice about becoming a sadhu is take your time. You, as a westerner, can become a legit sadhu although some lineages may not be so open but there are opportunities. Remember though before taking on a guru that you fully investigate them and know that they are legit.

Best of luck :D

Aum Hari Aum!

Namaskar,

Going to India will be a great experience for you. Varanasi is one of my favorite places and have spent a lot of time there :D My advice about becoming a sadhu is take your time. You, as a westerner, can become a legit sadhu although some lineages may not be so open but there are opportunities. Remember though before taking on a guru that you fully investigate them and know that they are legit.

Best of luck :D

Aum Hari Aum!

Thank you for this advice. And you have been to Varanasi!?! What was it like?

And I will take much time to find out if any Guru im interested in it Legit. My understanding is that many are fakes and may not be there for the right reasons.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Just quickly found this:

Foreigner Sadhus

Hopefully it may be of some use for you.

Sri Acharyaji is a Western brahmana, born Frank Morales.
Acharyaji

Perhaps some people may not accept it, but I'm certain some people will be more accepting. :)

Hope this helps.

Although, I think you should consider becoming a sadhu carefully. I'd wait until I was at least 24/25 or so before I considered it.

Just quickly found this:

Foreigner Sadhus

Hopefully it may be of some use for you.

Sri Acharyaji is a Western brahmana, born Frank Morales.
Acharyaji

Perhaps some people may not accept it, but I'm certain some people will be more accepting. :)

Hope this helps.

Although, I think you should consider becoming a sadhu carefully. I'd wait until I was at least 24/25 or so before I considered it.

Wow thank you so much for this information Odion! And I know that I should wait until im older before I make this decision, but something about it feels so right. And I have also come to this feeling that it isnt up to me whether I become a Sadhu or not, I feel its up to Shiva/God.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
Dear Being, Since you have a year before you take your big decision to seek to be something, be it a sadhu, an astronaut or a business tycoon, seek meanwhile to know what you already are. To know yourself, it would be more worthwhile to analyze your reactions to any experience than analyzing the experience itself. This could probably prepare you to take more mature decisions when confronted with new circumstances one year down the line. Anyway, never say no to an adventure. You are so young.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I'm glad I could be of help!

I understand what you mean entirely, although, sometimes it's difficult to know about things like this whether it's egotism, youthful naïveté, or God calling us. I'm no stranger to youthful foolishness--and even general foolishness. :D

I can see the attraction to asceticism but God will guide to asceticism those whom he wishes. If you are meant for it, I think that you will be brought to it when you are ready for it.

Dear Being, Since you have a year before you take your big decision to seek to be something, be it a sadhu, an astronaut or a business tycoon, seek meanwhile to know what you already are. To know yourself, it would be more worthwhile to analyze your reactions to any experience than analyzing the experience itself. This could probably prepare you to take more mature decisions when confronted with new circumstances one year down the line. Anyway, never say no to an adventure. You are so young.

Dont worry, I wont put down an adventure, espectially if it helps me know myself! And I will take the opportunity of right now to analyze myself. Thanks K. Venugopal!

Andal

resident hypnotist
Thank you for this advice. And you have been to Varanasi!?! What was it like?

And I will take much time to find out if any Guru im interested in it Legit. My understanding is that many are fakes and may not be there for the right reasons.

You're more than welcome. Yes definitely be wary of the fakes as there are many but there are also real gurus too.

I would be lying if I didn't say that Varanasi has it's problems but despite those material things, spiritually it is the most moving place I have ever stayed in. I have witnessed many wonderful things happen there and I am spiritually indebted to Kashi.

Aum Hari Aum!

Wannabe Yogi

My Dad said that after I work for a year (from the ages 18 to 19) that on my 19th birthday he will give me $5000 on top of the money I already made from that year so that I can go to India. He says that he thinks it would be good for me so that I can find myself and go to a more spiritual environment. My plan is to go to the Ashram's and to go to Varanasi, and other cool Temple's and things like that. But, a thought dawned upon me, if I go there and find a Guru that I really like and connect too could I become a Sadhu? I know that might be an odd question for a westerner to ask, but could I? Now, I know it would be a hard life and I may be a sort of an outcast, but Its something I would really do. Spirituality is the greatest thing in my life and living the life of a Sadhu would be very much worth it if it brings me closer to God.

You could live a simple life in India for sometime with that type of money. Its great that you have a dad that supports you in your spiritual search. It's a rare gift.

You can be a white sadhu in India I have seen more then a few.

I believe that krishnakanta has given you the best advice on finding a Guru. Study them ! You have no rush, find someone who lives like a sadhu not someone who sits on a throne and gives orders. Perceived spiritual power can be false and a trick. Remember Ravana had great spiritual power and he was a demon not a sadhu. A pure life, great wisdom and a heart full of love is the marks of a true sadhu.

A good indicator is that religion is not to be bought and sold. Someone should not charge you to be your Guru. It is a relationship of love. It is ok to give money out of love. Not because it's a charge. Many people might want to be your Guru for the money so be careful and wise.

When I asked a white man why he became a Swami. He said because he loved ordering his life around God. If over time you find that it works for you and giving up sex is not a problem or none of the comforts of life. Then I would say become a Sadhu. Only time will tell. I lived in a math for 6 months. A swami told me that if I feel a lot of sexual desire even when there are no women around I should not become a Swami. I figured out I have desires for Sex and comfort so it was not the right choice for me.

Being married with a devotee of a spouse is also a very wonderful path. As long as both people have the same goals in life.

I spent 3 days with an old man in India. His wife just died. He had no dout that she died Jivamukti. I believe him because of the type of man he was. All paths lead to God.

Om punyaham Om punyaham Om punyaham.

May all your activeties yield merit.

I bow to you being so young and looking so deeply at the meaning of life.

Last edited:
You could live a simple life in India for a while with that type of money. Its great that you have a dad that supports you in your spiritual search. It's a rare gift.

You can be a white sadhu in India I have seen more then a few.

I believe that krishnakanta has given you the best advice on finding a Guru. Study them ! You have no rush, find someone who lives like a sadhu not someone who sits on a throne and gives orders. Perceived spiritual power can be false and a trick.

A good indicator is that religion is not to be bought and sold. Someone should not charge you to be his Guru. It is a relationship of love. It is ok to give money out of love. Not because it's a charge. Many people might want to be your Guru for the money so be careful and wise.

When I asked a white man why he became a Swami. He said because he loved ordering his life around God. If over time you find that it works for you and giving up sex is not a problem or none of the comforts of life. Then I would say become a Sadhu. Only time will tell. I lived in a math for 6 months. A swami told me that if I feel a lot of sexual desire even when there are no women around I should not become a Swami. I figured out I have desires for Sex and comfort so it was not the right choice for me.

Being married with a devotee of a spouse is also a very wonderful path. As long as both people have the same goals in life.

I spent 3 days with an old man in India. His wife just died. He had no dought that she was an Jivamukti. I believe him because of the type of man he was.

Thank you for this Wannabe Yogi. But, the thing is is that I dont know if my dad is really going to go threw with it. If I get $5000 before the year is up, then im leaving. My dad keeps on telling me how hard it will be and that people will try to rob me and that I could get very sick and die. My mom says that im neive and that im being to positive about this and that its not what I think it will be. Now, though there may be truth in what they are saying, I feel like they are being to harsh about the situation. I will get the vaccinations, take some medicine for common illnesses and I think I will be fine. If someone has robbed me, well thats my fault for not keeping stuff closer to me. The death thing, I feel like they are just scaring me so that I wont go, though I know it is possible. My dad is saying he will give me the money, but if he will in the end, Im not sure. I think he is doing this just to make me work. My mom makes fun of me for wanting to do this. So Im thinking about working and getting $5000 dollars and just leaving. If I get the money before my dad gives it to me, if he will, then I will go ahead and leave. Im going to do this no matter what they say and Im not going to let the thought of diarrhea or vomiting keep me away from something that could change me forever. Also, If I do find that one Guru for me, I will stay in India and may not come back. But, I know I am going and Im not going to let some fears of sickness stop me. I know I am nieve and a little immature, but this means so much to me. It means the world to me.

Wannabe Yogi

If I do find that one Guru for me, I will stay in India and may not come back. But, I know I am going and Im not going to let some fears of sickness stop me. I know I am nieve and a little immature, but this means so much to me. It means the world to me.

Are you in contact with any Hindu groups in the states? What city do you live in ?

Last edited:
Are you in contact with any Hindu groups in the states? What city do you live in ?

Im not in contact with any hindu groups, but there is a hindu family that lives around the corner from me. I really like their son, he is very nice and on bus rides home we would always have spiritual conversations. We stopped talking after he stopped riding the bus. I believe he is a Vaishnava. I also think he stopped talking to me because I was a little to spiritual for him. He was really into sports and girls, I never really was in to any of that. Right when I got a taste of something higher, I still cared about some worldly things, but not as much. And I live in Indianapolis, Indiana.

nameless

The Creator
hi Being,

Avoid presumption about the guru as much as you can, simply be open minded. May be there would be some real gurus whose ideas would contradict yours. They would sometimes charge you fees (not big amount), but you have right to ask why they are doing so. Circumstances are not the same everywhere, their previous experience may have forced to follow something, which would appear to be wrong in your eyes.
I personally believe patience is important more than anything, it is the key.

Last edited:

Satsangi

Hi Aksharadasa,

My recommendation about finding Guru is that in mind, deeds and words that Guru should have- (1) renounced women (2) renounced wealth (for personal use), (3) unattached to family (but attached to devotees of God and God), (4) unattached to taste (4) has no ego- humility towards other devotees even if they are not spiritualy advanced.

Srimad Bhagvatam lists the 30 characteristics of a Saint in Canto 11, chapter 11, shlokas 29 to 33. 39 Characteristics of an Avathar of God are listed in Canto 1, chapter 16, shlokas 26 to 28.

If you are destined for a householder Guru, then also I would look for the above 5 except that the true renounciation of a householder Guru is through the mind and not grossly seen in deeds. Also by deeds and words, he should be following the Dharmas of a householder- for example- only one wife.

For now, Lord Shiva IS your Guru and He will guide you to your Guru in this world.

Best of luck,

Regards,

Hi Aksharadasa,

My recommendation about finding Guru is that in mind, deeds and words that Guru should have- (1) renounced women (2) renounced wealth (for personal use), (3) unattached to family (but attached to devotees of God and God), (4) unattached to taste (4) has no ego- humility towards other devotees even if they are not spiritualy advanced.

Srimad Bhagvatam lists the 30 characteristics of a Saint in Canto 11, chapter 11, shlokas 29 to 33. 39 Characteristics of an Avathar of God are listed in Canto 1, chapter 16, shlokas 26 to 28.

If you are destined for a householder Guru, then also I would look for the above 5 except that the true renounciation of a householder Guru is through the mind and not grossly seen in deeds. Also by deeds and words, he should be following the Dharmas of a householder- for example- only one wife.

For now, Lord Shiva IS your Guru and He will guide you to your Guru in this world.

Best of luck,

Regards,

Thank you for all of this Satsangi, very good information. But, I have dropped Shiva. I only liked him when I was into Non-Dualism. I was only into that becuase of my experiance into my own Consciousness. I found, though, that Devotion is my thing. I, deep down, am a Bhakta. Therefore I will be one. Quite awhile ago I was interested in the Philosophy of Gaudiya Vaishnavism and read the Bhagavad-Gita but never got super deep into it. Now that I know deep down that I am a Bhakta, I have chosen Gaudiya Vaishnavism and will worship Krishna!

Satsangi

Thank you for all of this Satsangi, very good information. But, I have dropped Shiva. I only liked him when I was into Non-Dualism. I was only into that becuase of my experiance into my own Consciousness. I found, though, that Devotion is my thing. I, deep down, am a Bhakta. Therefore I will be one. Quite awhile ago I was interested in the Philosophy of Gaudiya Vaishnavism and read the Bhagavad-Gita but never got super deep into it. Now that I know deep down that I am a Bhakta, I have chosen Gaudiya Vaishnavism and will worship Krishna!

Srimad Bhagvatam is by and large a Vaishnava Purana although reverred by Shaivaites. Lord Shiva has already guided you to Bhakti. Lord Krishna is a magnet for all devotees- The Great Avathar. I consider Him and Lord Shiva as the same. Behind all the glamour of a King an householder, Lord Krishna is the perfect renunciate and Bhagvat Gita is the essence of all Vedas and Upanishads. I myself am a Vaishnava who consider myself as Shaiva too- I am attracted to Lord Shiva by His perfect renunciation and Yoga. Somehow, I feel that I will have to be like Him to have a real Bhakti. If I may ask- how did you choose Akshara Dasa name?

Regards,