• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about sadhu's

Srimad Bhagvatam is by and large a Vaishnava Purana although reverred by Shaivaites. Lord Shiva has already guided you to Bhakti. Lord Krishna is a magnet for all devotees- The Great Avathar. I consider Him and Lord Shiva as the same. Behind all the glamour of a King an householder, Lord Krishna is the perfect renunciate and Bhagvat Gita is the essence of all Vedas and Upanishads. I myself am a Vaishnava who consider myself as Shaiva too- I am attracted to Lord Shiva by His perfect renunciation and Yoga. Somehow, I feel that I will have to be like Him to have a real Bhakti. If I may ask- how did you choose Akshara Dasa name?

Regards,

Akshara means Indestructable Lord and as you probably know Dasa means Servant, so my name means "Servant of the Indestrctable Lord" who is Krishna.

And your view of Krishna and Shiva is very unique and interesting. I like it, thanks for sharing it.

Wannabe Yogi

I feel like they are just scaring me so that I wont go, though I know it is possible..

Your parents love you. They don't want anything to happen to you.

Now that you have picked your path. I would recommend getting in touch with some Gaudiya Vaishnava groups. See how you like them. If they have Ashrams in India it would at least be a place to start In India.

Your parents love you. They don't want anything to happen to you.

Now that you have picked your path. I would recommend getting in touch with some Gaudiya Vaishnava groups. See how you like them. If they have Ashrams in India it would at least be a place to start In India.

I agree, thanks Wannabe Yogi. I was considering going to Vrindavan bucause im sure they have many Vaishnava's there willing to help me!

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend AD,

Personally never found such acts as natural as one is already predetermined his next step, rather they are not the calling of the *atman* but just a mind fixation.
If one knows what *sadhu* means then such questions will not arise as a sadhu can be a householder like Ramakrishna.
Rgds coolness of temples of Varanasi; friend a cool looking guy is more likely to be robbed of all those $5000 plus in no time by the not so cool pandas/touts/fraudsters/etc who are waiting to ponce on such kids with dreams.
Personally lived in Varanasi for over 3 years.
One needs to focus on being a *FLOW* and that itself will take one where existence wants him to and one will be his original self without effort or thinking about anything.
Well, what you do with the gift of being born a human being is your own individual choice but remember that existence is always pointing directions to reach the source.
Best Wishes.
Love & rgds

Wannabe Yogi

I was considering going to Vrindavan bucause im sure they have many Vaishnava's there willing to help me!

It would be a good place to start. Find a group that you know and trust. Then go to there ashram in Vrindavan. Once you get your sea legs step out from that point.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend AD,

Yes, do agree and understand the benefits of *SANGHA* which is helpful in being in an energy pool to uplift one's own energies in the right direction.
For this surely an ashram like Sivanada's Diuvine Life Society at Haridwar for which only a small amount of money would be enough and to contact them:
The Divine Life Society--What it is and How it works
If one is interested in Hath Yoga, Ramdev Babs's ashram: Patanjali Yogpeeth - Divya Yog Madir (Trust)
Depending on the path that one wishes to travel one could live in such ashrams for the required training instead of just wondering in search of the illusive *nirvana* like the * hippie* culture of the 60's.

Love & rgds