• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about God. or Gods

Milton Platt

In all of the Abrahamic religions, it is spoken only of one Creator God. But in other religions and spiritual paths often there are many Gods, Buddha, Daos and so on.

Why do you think this is?

I do not try to say Abrahamic religions are wrong (i believe them to be true) But I have been thinking for a long time (years) Maybe it be that those who spoke about God/Allah did not see the full truth?

Or that the reason why they only speak of ONE God is that it is more easy to stay true to only one Creator, but it does exist, other gods, buddhas and so on?

Or the last one (maybe the scariest once for some) May it be that it was not the Abrahamic God who created the cosmos in the first place? That that God him/her/It was only placed there to give a true path to those who followed(humans)?

I do not try to disclaim Any of the Abrahamic Religions. It is only a question that has been bugging me since I did my conversion from Christianity more than 20 years ago

The religions are based upon myths and stories from different civilizations or groups of people, hence the variation.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Wouldn't you say, though, that all (or much) of archeology is speculation?
All historical reconstruction utilizes speculation, but it is based on what are more than just speculation alone. It is based upon data and models, which show consistency when examined across multiple areas. In other words, that speculation has more sure footing, then just reading back one's personal subjective and limited experience back into history, ultimately only seeing one's own face reflecting back at them. That's why cross-disciplinary methodologies are a greater test of these. So "guesses", yes, but based upon far more solid ground than "mere speculation".

And my point is, our speculations today, have a lot more supporting evidences than someone of the 12th century would have had available to them in their guesses at that time. I think what we know today, tends to be better guesses, more likely pictures, more supportable, etc. The pictures that emerge tend to play better with what we know and have learned and discovered today in modern times through our modern tools. It is a more secure, albeight open-ended view than what was available a full 900 years ago.

Unless of course someone wants to ignore or dismiss all that claiming special divine revelation, which is no longer scholarship, but a non-critical theology which takes everything on faith alone. I don't think we're talking about that here.

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!
In all of the Abrahamic religions, it is spoken only of one Creator God. But in other religions and spiritual paths often there are many Gods, Buddha, Daos and so on.

There are many worldviews. Theistic worldviews believe in One God. These include Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. They believe “I am God’s”. Then there is naturalism which includes materialism, atheism, agnosticism, scientism, and hedonism. They believe life is meaningless and that our quest for purpose amounts to nothing. They believe “there is no God.” Then there is transcendentalism which includes pantheism, new age, Buddhism, Hinduism, Scientology, and Wicca. They believe that all things are a unified whole, a concept known as monism. Man’s nature is an extension of the divine oneness and the goal is enlightenment to “become one” with ultimate reality. They believe “I am God.” And finally postmodernism which includes pragmatism, anti-realism, perspectivalism, and anti-essentialism. They believe it is impossible to have the knowledge about ultimate reality claimed by the worldviews. They believe that we cannot claim objectivity for our views and everything is contingent and nothing is fixed. Reality is ultimately unknowable and we can’t access it because of our situatedness. We can never really know the facts because knowledge comes down to our perspective and there is only interpretation no one knows what is reality so we cannot know “the truth.” There is no absolute truth, only truths. They all have their own truth based on their perspective.

I do not try to say Abrahamic religions are wrong (i believe them to be true) But I have been thinking for a long time (years) Maybe it be that those who spoke about God/Allah did not see the full truth?

Or that the reason why they only speak of ONE God is that it is more easy to stay true to only one Creator, but it does exist, other gods, buddhas and so on?

Or the last one (maybe the scariest once for some) May it be that it was not the Abrahamic God who created the cosmos in the first place? That that God him/her/It was only placed there to give a true path to those who followed(humans)?

I do not try to disclaim Any of the Abrahamic Religions. It is only a question that has been bugging me since I did my conversion from Christianity more than 20 years ago

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!

Only Theists believe in One God. There are 3 theistic worldviews , Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. People who believe/ worship more than one God are pagans.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I believe there is only one God worth worshiping
An other comment worth noting:

If there is only one God worth worshiping? Are there other Gods not worth worshiping?

. . . or is it possible that all worship the same God in their own image?.