• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about God. or Gods

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In all of the Abrahamic religions, it is spoken only of one Creator God. But in other religions and spiritual paths often there are many Gods, Buddha, Daos and so on.

Why do you think this is?

I do not try to say Abrahamic religions are wrong (i believe them to be true) But I have been thinking for a long time (years) Maybe it be that those who spoke about God/Allah did not see the full truth?

Or that the reason why they only speak of ONE God is that it is more easy to stay true to only one Creator, but it does exist, other gods, buddhas and so on?

Or the last one (maybe the scariest once for some) May it be that it was not the Abrahamic God who created the cosmos in the first place? That that God him/her/It was only placed there to give a true path to those who followed(humans)?

I do not try to disclaim Any of the Abrahamic Religions. It is only a question that has been bugging me since I did my conversion from Christianity more than 20 years ago

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I'm polytheistic, I think there is one True God, but I'd hesitate to link that God to the Abrahamic concept of God, which to me seems, as described, to be a false God

r2d2009

I think this extract from the encyclopedia will be interesting here.

--------------------------------

How the Word God Is to Be Understood

The word God, in the first place, should be interpreted as the Primordial Consciousness that dwells in the deepest and subtlest primary plane of the multidimensional universe. The Primordial Consciousness — is God-the-Father, Who is also called the Creator, Jehovah, Savaof, Allah, Iswara, Tao, Adibuddha, etc.

This Primordial Consciousness is One for the whole universe and therefore for all living beings, including people who live on our planet. And the fact that the word God sounds differently in different languages does not mean that there are many Gods or that various nations that inhabit Earth have their own God.

The second meaning of the word God includes the Creator with His entire multidimensional Creation, which is brought into existence by Him, is based on Him as on a foundation, and is incapable of existing without or being separated from Him. In this sense, God is Absolutely Everything (the Absolute) — Everything, except for hell and its inhabitants. (By definition of Jesus Christ, hell is the outer darkness — outer in relation to God-Absolute).

The concept of God includes also Manifestations of the Creator in the Creation which people call the Holy Spirit (Brahman). The Holy Spirit most often manifests Himself in the form of Divine Teachers that come out from the Abode of the Creator. (They can, in particular, condense the energy of Consciousness to the level, perceivable or even quite visible by embodied people).

Manifestation of a Divine Teacher on the material plane through incarnation into a human body is called Messiah, Christ, Avatar.

Such a Teacher, as well as the Holy Spirit, is an Integral Part of the Creator (Primordial Consciousness).

“God is ONE”

The statement “God is ONE” is true. The Divine Teachers in the Abode of the Creator are the merged integral Parts of One Primordial Consciousness. The criterion here is that Their Abode is the primary spatial dimension called the Abode of the Creator. Each of Them, while remaining one with the Creator, comes out from the Abode into the world of the Creation only by a part of Himself.

What cannot be included in the concept of God

One should not include in the concept of God mythological (fairy-tale) and fictitious characters of national religious folklore (those sharing such naive and essentially false conceptions are called pagans).

Attempts to present God as an invisible flying being with a human-like appearance are also naive and false.

God should be thought of as neither “information” nor “information field”, nor “collective human intellect”, nor should He be given other similar superficial and incompetent definitions.

Cognition of God has nothing to do with “conversations with aliens”, “astral traveling”, spiritism, magic rituals or astrological fantasies.

Describing God as a malicious monster punishing people for their sins is a striking perversion that turns people away from loving Him and hinders their advancement on the spiritual Path.

Conclusion

Thus, the concept of God includes:

— the Creator, called in other languages and other religious schools also God-the-Father, Primordial Consciousness, Allah, Ishvara, Tao etc.,

— the Absolute,

— non-incarnate (They are countless) as well as incarnate Divine Teachers coming out from the Abode of the Creator.

This is the essence of the true, monotheistic conception of what God is.

---------------------------------------

God

r2d2009

In reality, each of the religions now has some part of knowledge about God.
It must also be borne in mind that much has been invented beyond this knowledge and is a fantasy.

But the world is entering a new era ... As long as the priests of the old religions hold on to their dogmas - someone can combine this old knowledge, analyze it impartially, remove what is fantasized and get something closer to reality.

Heyo

Veteran Member
The Abrahamic religion was, in it's infancy, polytheistic, later henotheistic and now all three main branches consider themselves monotheistic.
There are remnants of the poly- and henotheistic past to be found in scripture. The first commandment doesn't state that there is only one god but that the Israelites shouldn't worship any other gods before YHVH. Other gods are named (Molech, Baal) as the gods of other tribes. This all is indication of henotheism.
In Genesis the creator(s) are/is not YHVH but El/Elohim, Elohim being plural. The current interpretation for the plural is that it is a pluralis excellentiae, similar to the pluralis majestatis that royals use when speaking about themselves in plural. It is not settled if this is the original meaning or just a ret-con to make a single god out of a multitude.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'm polytheistic, I think there is one True God, but I'd hesitate to link that God to the Abrahamic concept of God, which to me seems, as described, to be a false God
why do you see the Abrahamic God as false? and if there are other Gods why are they real if you say Abrahamic God is false?

r2d2009

Manifestations of the Divine to different nations are manifestations of the One One God, but at different times and in different cultural settings.
Under such conditions, God could not be described exactly the same.

Two identical Christianity could not arise on Earth at different times and in different places.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
There are problems with your premise. You are relating theistic ideas, that don't go together, and theistic names that don't go together.

In other words, more study would actually show that.

I recomend sticking with 'one religion', or at least more connected religion ideas, instead of that wild association, you have presented.

Start by reading what 'god' as a Biblical name and word, is, and how it is specific, not 'general', like in the premise. Then, read other material, like judaism, christian, so forth, before interconnecting deity in religions.
The OP tries to look at why Abrahamic Religions look at only one God whereas Asian Religions like Buddhism and Hinduism do not claim there is only one Super God who is behind everything.
My goal was not a generalisation of any of the religions. but to understand why Abrahamic religions see only one God.

And I have been looking at all the major religions for the last 20 years or so. But i do not know or understand everything in every religious teaching of course.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
To answer the question as it pertains, specifically, though,

It varies. You seem to mean, why monotheism.

Tradition, and belief, evidence.
I am open to that Yes monotheism can be true but I am also a believer of multiple of Gods, Buddhas, and Daos,
But my view of Monotheistic religions is that I see it more like when God says You should only follow of God, or there is only one God it does not mean that there are no others But as for example as a Christian they should only follow the Christian God and not mix it in with other teachings from other Gods, Buddhas or Daos.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
There is a difference al

No, as to why monotheism. You read some traditional material, it isn't like modern bokks, I mean some traditional material really gets into the explanations.

So, again, it varies, it changes with religious trends, so forth
Now i understand you :) Personally i d not read new literature when it comes to religion study, if i read about Christianity i only read the bible. if i study Islam i read only the Quran or related texts from that time. or even in Buddhism i do not read newer texts, only the original

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In all of the Abrahamic religions, it is spoken only of one Creator God. But in other religions and spiritual paths often there are many Gods, Buddha, Daos and so on.

I do not try to say Abrahamic religions are wrong (i believe them to be true) But I have been thinking for a long time (years) Maybe it be that those who spoke about God/Allah did not see the full truth?

Or that the reason why they only speak of ONE God is that it is more easy to stay true to only one Creator, but it does exist, other gods, buddhas and so on?

Or the last one (maybe the scariest once for some) May it be that it was not the Abrahamic God who created the cosmos in the first place? That that God him/her/It was only placed there to give a true path to those who followed(humans)?

I do not try to disclaim Any of the Abrahamic Religions. It is only a question that has been bugging me since I did my conversion from Christianity more than 20 years ago

When I took art history, one of many things stood out.

The politics of the church.

We used to believe in multiple gods until one god was first introduced: How did Monotheism Develop? - DailyHistory.org

I can't remember if there was a political role in judaism but I know the church shaped a lot of the monotheist belief. Control. Protestants seemed to be solution but now to some it feels the opposite. Just making educated guesses.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

What I like most about Buddhism is its pragmatic simplicity. Right action, though and speech. Through this path the Theistic nature of the universe becomes apparent when we’re ready to see it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I think it's because of history, and differing interpretations of how inner or other realities interrelate with this one. In Hinduism there is more delineation of duty amongst Gods. In Saiva Siddhanta, it's either 3 or 4 that are important. Ganesha, Murugan, Siva, and with many folks, Shakti (Devi). There are others that are aspects or variations of one of these, like Bhairava, or Palaniandavar, Saraswati, or Thurga.

So depending on what you want, you go to a different God, just like depending on what you want to purchase, you go to a different store. So each deity has a distinct vibration, and true devotees know it by experience and the ability to sense it via their nerve systems in an inner way. That's key. On different astrological times of the year, the vibration of Gods intensify or wane. Just now has been a very strong Ganesha time.

Ganesha is the friendly God, most easily contacted, beseeched for worldly things. So because school is starting soon, many people pray for a great school year. He's just right there in vibration, calming, brotherly, caring, fun-loving, joyous, and all that. He's the entrance to Hinduism and dharma, sitting on the muladara.

Murugan, on the other hand, is much different. He's far more intense, the God of raja yoga, austerity, penance, inner striving, dramatic change, monasticism. So he's naturally harder to contact, because he rules from the manipura, (will chakra), but when it does happen, it's intense.

Watching pilgrims to a Ganesha temple, and a Murugan temple, you can observe the difference. Going towards Ganesha, families will be joyous, laughing, together, and outwardly happy. Towards Murugan, a devotee will be silent, austere, inner, meditative, serious, working on changing themselves via subconscious reprogramming.

So I think it's history. In India sages saw variations, things developed geographically, and the religion evolved accordingly. In the west, same thing, philosophers and searchers found a more simplistic view that worked for them.

Sorry for the ramble, I don't usually do that.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I think it's because of history, and differing interpretations of how inner or other realities interrelate with this one. In Hinduism there is more delineation of duty amongst Gods. In Saiva Siddhanta, it's either 3 or 4 that are important. Ganesha, Murugan, Siva, and with many folks, Shakti (Devi). There are others that are aspects or variations of one of these, like Bhairava, or Palaniandavar, Saraswati, or Thurga.

So depending on what you want, you go to a different God, just like depending on what you want to purchase, you go to a different store. So each deity has a distinct vibration, and true devotees know it by experience and the ability to sense it via their nerve systems in an inner way. That's key. On different astrological times of the year, the vibration of Gods intensify or wane. Just now has been a very strong Ganesha time.

Ganesha is the friendly God, most easily contacted, beseeched for worldly things. So because school is starting soon, many people pray for a great school year. He's just right there in vibration, calming, brotherly, caring, fun-loving, joyous, and all that. He's the entrance to Hinduism and dharma, sitting on the muladara.

Murugan, on the other hand, is much different. He's far more intense, the God of raja yoga, austerity, penance, inner striving, dramatic change, monasticism. So he's naturally harder to contact, because he rules from the manipura, (will chakra), but when it does happen, it's intense.

Watching pilgrims to a Ganesha temple, and a Murugan temple, you can observe the difference. Going towards Ganesha, families will be joyous, laughing, together, and outwardly happy. Towards Murugan, a devotee will be silent, austere, inner, meditative, serious, working on changing themselves via subconscious reprogramming.

So I think it's history. In India sages saw variations, things developed geographically, and the religion evolved accordingly. In the west, same thing, philosophers and searchers found a more simplistic view that worked for them.

Sorry for the ramble, I don't usually do that.
Honestly, i did not find it to be rambling :) i found it interesting to see your take on my question :)
Thank you.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Honestly, I did not find it to be rambling :) i found it interesting to see your take on my question :)
Thank you.

One of the major differences between east and west, from what I understand (my understanding of the western take is really limited, never experienced it) is that in eastern faiths we feel it, tune into it, sense it, seek it, enjoy it ... God is a divine presence, and it's felt within your heart, your cranium, etc. Once trained, all you have to do is stop, close your eyes, breathe, and it's just right there, like sunlight, or body heat.

In the west, it's more distant, out there, like a puppeteer.

Why? I also think it's got to do with what people need. Individuals vary, as do cultures. Any teacher or coach (if they had any clue at all) can tell you how different children are as to what motivates them. Some need nothing at all (self-motivated), some need to see others doing stuff, some need a bit of fear, and still others are unteachable, stagnant.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

In Hinduism there is only 1 God I was taught
Many names just symbolize many aspects
NOT many Gods

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There are many questions that I cannot answer, and the gist of the OP is one of them. So, I take the position of "Whatever is, is".

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Oh yes, all the rest are false. Why then you term yourself as polytheistic?
This Primordial Consciousness is One for the whole universe ..
Any evidence/proof of this "Primordial Consciousness"? People assert but balk when asked for evidence.
It must also be borne in mind that much has been invented beyond this knowledge and is a fantasy.
Beyond this or even this?
The OP tries to look at why Abrahamic Religions look at only one God ..
Perhaps picked up from Zoroastrians during the Babylonian exile.

Last edited: