• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quebec bans religious instruction in government-sponsored daycare

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
And that should be stopped. However, I think they're throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Do you think that they won't be able to mention religion at all?

I see this more as a way to, say, stop a Catholic daycare from sending kids home asking their parents to do First Communion.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I see it as instruction, or perhaps indoctrination, in a particular religion. Maybe it'd be getting the kids to agree to the Ten Commandments, or doing readings from a "children's Bible stories" book at storytime. Maybe it'd be a Muslim daycare teaching the kids how do do a salaat, or a Sikh daycare getting the kids to help out with Langar.

IOW, I see it as mainly training them for membership in a particular religion.
OK, I was right. I oppose that, too.

I don't have a problem with a secular institution teaching facts about different beliefs as part of some sort of comparative religion program, however, I question how appropriate this would be for preschoolers, except for very, very basic stuff (e.g. explaining why some of their classmates get a different meal when pork is served for lunch).
UU RE manages. ;)

Honestly, I don't know how one would make religious instruction accessible to preschoolers, but that's part of a larger personal failing. (I have difficulty with making virtually every subject age-appropriate.) But I do think it's important that the subject be covered, even if it's just as basic as what you describe.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Do you think that they won't be able to mention religion at all?

I see this more as a way to, say, stop a Catholic daycare from sending kids home asking their parents to do First Communion.
And if that's what's usually happening, I support the decision to end such indoctrination.

Perhaps I saw the OP through my rarely used rose-colored glasses. :(

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Again, I wonder if we're using the same definitions.

But to answer the question, it's never too early to teach kids about the world they're going to have to live in.

Generally, that's true, but with religion, I'm not so sure it is. Just like I wouldn't try to teach my 5-year-old how to do algebra, I probably wouldn't try to explain how other people try to explain the mysteries of life.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Generally, that's true, but with religion, I'm not so sure it is. Just like I wouldn't try to teach my 5-year-old how to do algebra, I probably wouldn't try to explain how other people try to explain the mysteries of life.
I think it can be done. As I mentioned earlier, the UU Religious Education program seems to do a pretty good job.

And this much I know: you don't start with the "algebra." It would, of course, be inappropriate to introduce preschoolers to theodicy. But there's no reason not to give them a sampling of mythology.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I think it can be done. As I mentioned earlier, the UU Religious Education program seems to do a pretty good job.

And this much I know: you don't start with the "algebra." It would, of course, be inappropriate to introduce preschoolers to theodicy. But there's no reason not to give them a sampling of mythology.

I understand, but they're not going to understand mythology as anything more than some cool stories.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I understand, but they're not going to understand mythology as anything more than some cool stories.
No, but even that will give them a foundation to build upon.

Anyway, to get back to the topic:
While I do wish public schools would provide religious education, it seems that the issue in question is not education but indoctrination. In that light, I think the decision to end it was correct.