• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quantum afterlife?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Highly speculative but entertaining video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXZOhqbQsOw

I watched it and enjoyed it. Of course I can't completely get my average brain around all the non-intuitive concepts about space, time and conciousness. It does tell me people should not arrogantly dismiss the possibility of things we call wierd or paranormal. Our three-dimensional with linear time view of the universe and conciousness is becoming old-fashioned :D.

MD

qualiaphile
I am not in the loop of science.
Could one elaborate the contents for me? Please

Here's some interesting links you could read. Btw it's very speculative, it's more entertainment than truth.

Biocentrism (theory of everything) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quantum mind
Quantum mind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are all speculative areas of science. Don't put too much faith in them. Read it more like you were reading a 'Guide to building a warp drive'.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
LOL!

What's the most annoying to you

1) Quantum mysticism
2) Nanobot cryonic immortality 'but nanobots!'
3) Kurzweilian AI gods
The last two will almost certainly happen sooner or later. The question is when, and what exactly the results will be. ;) (And if current society is any indication, the results of #3 will be very very bad.)

MD

qualiaphile
The last two will almost certainly happen sooner or later. The question is when, and what exactly the results will be. ;) (And if current society is any indication, the results of #3 will be very very bad.)

I think nanobots are a strong possibility. But it has so many obstacles that I don't see it happening for a very long time, possibly hundreds of years. Cryonics...not so much. The information is lost during the freezing technique. Even with cryoprotectant a lot is lost. It's a pipe dream right now. Even if the information were maintained the pattern of neural impulses a person has must be recorded before they die. But Cryonics also will be a reality centuries from now. However everyone frozen right now is most likely gone for good.

I think true strong AI will be achieved. Whether it be something more akin to Data or skynet is yet to be seen. If AI gods are possible (which is up for debate) I don't see human beings allowing it to happen. We may end up just not creating them. I would like to see Data and have my descendants hang out with him. Something like skynet = no more humanity.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
LOL!

What's the most annoying to you

1) Quantum mysticism
2) Nanobot cryonic immortality 'but nanobots!'
3) Kurzweilian AI gods

I'd say #1 is pretty annoying...mainly because it relys on people's misunderstanding, or lack of understanding, of quantum physics.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I've always thought that if science considers quantum physics and multi-verses as possibilities, why not ghosts 'n gods (but not as how ancient men perceived and portrayed the concepts)?

Reptillian

I think nanobots are a strong possibility. But it has so many obstacles that I don't see it happening for a very long time, possibly hundreds of years. Cryonics...not so much. The information is lost during the freezing technique. Even with cryoprotectant a lot is lost. It's a pipe dream right now. Even if the information were maintained the pattern of neural impulses a person has must be recorded before they die. But Cryonics also will be a reality centuries from now. However everyone frozen right now is most likely gone for good.

I think true strong AI will be achieved. Whether it be something more akin to Data or skynet is yet to be seen. If AI gods are possible (which is up for debate) I don't see human beings allowing it to happen. We may end up just not creating them. I would like to see Data and have my descendants hang out with him. Something like skynet = no more humanity.

Things always happen sooner than you think. Nano-technology is a big area of research now days with tons of commercial, medical, and industrial applications. That's why it's a top research priority area and gets a lot of funding.

Cryogenics is also something I could see happening easily. Some species of snakes are frozen in snow banks during the winter and thaw out in the spring. They go into a kind of suspended animation and avoid cell damage because of a natural kind of antifreeze in their blood. Since snakes are vertebrates, I don't think it's unlikely that we couldn't mimic this ability ourselves.

As for super intelligent machines, they're a certainty in the near future. There's no telling what impact they'll have on our civilization...they'd essentially be an alien intelligence that we had a hand in creating.

Reptillian

I've always thought that if science considers quantum physics and multi-verses as possibilities, why not ghosts 'n gods (but not as how ancient men perceived and portrayed the concepts)?

Quantum physics is based in observation, though I do agree that the multiverse stuff that a lot of popular modern physicists espouse is a bunch of nonsense. Personally I ascribe to the ensemble interpretation of quantum mechanics. I guess I'd rather live in one universe governed by probability than in an infinity of universes where every possibility is realized. The multiverse doesn't make any testable predictions. That's also the problem with ghosts and gods...they could exist in some scientific sense, but so far no observations require them as an explanation. What sort of experiment could I perform to test for the existence of gods? Yet if tomorrow Jesus Christ decended from the clouds with Zeus and Odin at his side, then I think science would be compelled to take the idea seriously. That's one thing I've always liked about science...its flexibility when faced with new information and observations.

MD

qualiaphile
Things always happen sooner than you think. Nano-technology is a big area of research now days with tons of commercial, medical, and industrial applications. That's why it's a top research priority area and gets a lot of funding.

I would have to disagree with you on all points. First of all nano technology is not what nanobots are. Nanotechnology is more about specificed enzymes and chemicals, something similar to our own biological nanotechnology. The drexler robots of the future defy the laws of physics because at that level you have other problems, such as brownian motion. Drexler's robotics are almsot 30 years old and yet there isn't even a clue as to how to construct such things.

Cryogenics is also something I could see happening easily. Some species of snakes are frozen in snow banks during the winter and thaw out in the spring. They go into a kind of suspended animation and avoid cell damage because of a natural kind of antifreeze in their blood. Since snakes are vertebrates, I don't think it's unlikely that we couldn't mimic this ability ourselves.

There's a difference between cryogenic suspension and cryonics. First of all some amphibians use glucose to prevent osmotic damage during winter. However if we had the same amount of glucose infused in our bodies it would kill us. Also cryonics basically lowers the body to such incredibly low temperatures that the cells shatter. Memories are encoded by molecules and as such information is lost. Actually information is lost from the moment the cells have hypoxia. Even if the information is not lost, there are two options for revival. Nanobots (whose issues I have outlined above) and mind uploading. I do not think the mind is a computational device nor is it algorithmic and even if it were we don't have the algorithms of the person before they died to reprogram it in a future machine. As of now, it is a pipe dream.

As for super intelligent machines, they're a certainty in the near future. There's no telling what impact they'll have on our civilization...they'd essentially be an alien intelligence that we had a hand in creating.

Well we have super intelligent machines right now. A calculator is a billion times smarter than I am at calculating. Whether those machines have consciousness, meaning and intentionality is yet to be seen. We know such little about consciousness, noone can really claim that AI will have it in 50 years. Kurzweil is wrong unfortunately. There's also the collapse of Moore's law in 10 years (due to the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle). Quantum computers are still extremely theoretical. Biological molecular computers perhaps might be the best option. We could also use such 'machines' to augment our own intelligence. Whatever it will be, it won't be silicon.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yet if tomorrow Jesus Christ decended from the clouds with Zeus and Odin at his side, then I think science would be compelled to take the idea seriously.

Well, obviously the anthropomorphized caricatures of "god" would be nonsense. I'm think more along the lines of deism or pantheism. Both the human mind and the universe are pretty damn complex and we've yet begun to scratch the surface regarding our knowledge and understanding of either. But like you said, until we've got some solid evidence, it's little more than empty speculation.

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
The immediate thing that come to mind when I 1st saw the thread title - "quantum afterlife", I thought that people in the afterlife will all become short...very short..,very, very short...like the size of the quantum particle...quark or muon or neutrino...people that even baby ant can squash with their tiny legs. :p

Why would you want to become subatomic (after-)life-form?

Perhaps, I should just watch the video.

Straw Dog

Highly speculative but entertaining video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXZOhqbQsOw

That's the thing, though. Modern science has opened the possibility of there being multiple dimensions beyond that which we are readily aware of. It seems likely to me that the awesome processing power of the mind may have access to hidden dimensions on the subconscious level. How these interacts may play out, I haven't the slightest idea. It's just a plausible notion and grants support to a physical monism, which may also be wrong but whatever haha.

Reptillian

quote=shahz;3051605]I would have to disagree with you on all points. [/quote]

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. :) Though I may have more to say on the points you made later.

Well, obviously the anthropomorphized caricatures of "god" would be nonsense. I'm think more along the lines of deism or pantheism. Both the human mind and the universe are pretty damn complex and we've yet begun to scratch the surface regarding our knowledge and understanding of either. But like you said, until we've got some solid evidence, it's little more than empty speculation.

Still, something like a personal anthropomorphic god is possible...albeit extremely unlikely.

The immediate thing that come to mind when I 1st saw the thread title - "quantum afterlife", I thought that people in the afterlife will all become short...very short..,very, very short...like the size of the quantum particle...quark or muon or neutrino...people that even baby ant can squash with their tiny legs. :p

Why would you want to become subatomic (after-)life-form?

Perhaps, I should just watch the video.

If I were to be reincarnated as a subatomic particle, I'd want to be a top quark...I like to imagine that I'd be ruler of all the quarks, at the very least the bottom quarks. I'd be giving out laws and commands and making all the quarks do my bidding. I'd be all like, "Go make me a house out of gravitons and gather photons for me that I may see more clearly. Also, bring me the most flavorful charm quark maidens for a taste inspection."