• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Putin admits Russians were involved in hacking our election

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Secondly, why would Putin have knowledge of the non-state activities of private citizens who "may" be hacking?
Because he is the autocratic leader of a powerful state, and doing such things in Russia without Putin's approval is a good way to disappear.
Or worse.

Don't tell me Russian hackers helped Trump game the rigged USA political system without Putin's approval.

Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Because he is the autocratic leader of a powerful state, and doing such things in Russia without Putin's approval is a good way to disappear.
Or worse.

Don't tell me Russian hackers helped Trump game the rigged USA political system without Putin's approval.

Tom
A former neighbor did business in Russia. It was quite common to do things the
state opposed, but one had to keep a low profile, eg, crime, which was rampant.
Similarly, we have cyber-criminals in Americastan, despite every admin's opposition.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Or rather Trump won because the liberal establishment deserved to lose. No, it must be nefarious powers from the outside.

While I'm sure Putin has no problem with people taking 'patriotic initiatives' that does not mean he or the state is involved. And even if it were, I don't think Russia is so influential as to be able to sway elections.

It seems more of the case that democracy didn't go the way of the establishment, and thus the establishment all around the western world is lashing out as it becomes more obvious that the tide is turning against them. Hence the hysteria about Russia and the mounting calls for censoring the internet. (To protect democracy of course).

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Or rather Trump won because the liberal establishment deserved to lose. No, it must be nefarious powers from the outside.

While I'm sure Putin has no problem with people taking 'patriotic initiatives' that does not mean he or the state is involved. And even if it were, I don't think Russia is so influential as to be able to sway elections.

It seems more of the case that democracy didn't go the way of the establishment, and thus the establishment all around the western world is lashing out as it becomes more obvious that the tide is turning against them. Hence the hysteria about Russia and the mounting calls for censoring the internet. (To protect democracy of course).

Yes, I would say that this pretty much hits the nail on the head. The funny thing is, even if all this is true and that it actually happened exactly as alleged, it's yet another consequence of globalism that so many people openly embrace. Another funny thing is that the Democrats are now parroting and reviving all the "evil empire" talk that dominated the Reagan years - all about the "evil Russians" and their insidious, fiendish plots to take over the world.

Boris_natasha_fearless.jpg

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Who cares really. If Russian hackers can exert enough influence to materially sway elections, then the problem isn't Russian hackers.

No he didn't, he simply acknowledged its possibility. Secondly, why would Putin have knowledge of the non-state activities of private citizens who "may" be hacking?
Because he is a quazi-dictator who spies extensively on all of his people's actions online.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
What his linked article says.....
Patriotic Russians may have staged cyber attacks on own initiative: Putin

What the threads title says....
Putin admits Russians were involved in hacking our election

Leaving out the "may have" is a mischievous ommission.
Language is a tricky thing.....to repeat 95% of the words of a quote might yield less than a 95%
meaning correlation. Even changing word or punctuation order can greatly altler the meaning.

If some Russians did this, I'd like to give them a great big "Horror Show!"
Do you really doubt that the hackers were Russian? If so, why?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do you really doubt that the hackers were Russian? If so, why?
There is doubt because even Americastanian government agencies wouldn't claim certainty.
And the evidence.....their word that it was highly likely to be Russians.
(They were wrong about Iraqi WMDs. They could be wrong again.)
Add to this the question of whether it was Russian government aparatchiks or unaffiliated civilians.
The leap to certainty appears to only be among the party faithful, who entirely ignore the possibility
that a DNC insider was feeding Wikileaks. So I'm comfortable not staking a claim upon who did it.

I've covered all this before.
Nothing really new has been revealed since.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
There is doubt because even Americastanian government agencies wouldn't claim certainty.
And the evidence.....their word that it was highly likely to be Russians.
(They were wrong about Iraqi WMDs. They could be wrong again.)
Add to this the question of whether it was Russian government aparatchiks or unaffiliated civilians.
The leap to certainty appears to only be among the party faithful, who entirely ignore the possibility
that a DNC insider was feeding Wikileaks. So I'm comfortable not staking a claim upon who did it.

I've covered all this before.
Nothing really new has been revealed since.
You're dismissing the huge mountain of evidence while advocating a conspiracy theory instead. Nice.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
You're dismissing the huge mountain of evidence while advocating a conspiracy theory instead. Nice.
I'm simply willing to wait to see what Mr. Mueller come up with. I'll set my hair on fire after that.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Which is why Trump's margin of victory was so immense, right?

Oh wait. The key states he won, he only won by a hair's breadth.

I don't think you're very knowledgeable about Russian capabilities.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Which is why Trump's margin of victory was so immense, right?

Oh wait. The key states he won, he only won by a hair's breadth.

I don't think you're very knowledgeable about Russian capabilities.
I remember reading a lengthy article about a week before the election explaining, in detail, how Clinton had the Electoral Collage vote "locked up" and that there was virtually zero possibility that Trump could garner much more than 120 votes... That article is strangely absent now... go figure. Personally, I think the last American election was a case study in how so many people could be so wrong about so much.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I remember reading a lengthy article about a week before the election explaining, in detail, how Clinton had the Electoral Collage vote "locked up" and that there was virtually zero possibility that Trump could garner much more than 120 votes... That article is strangely absent now... go figure. Personally, I think the last American election was a case study in how so many people could be so wrong about so much.
I think it is more a case study in how so many Americans can be manipulated by a snake oil salesman. Sad!

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Eh. The election was freakishly close. Close enough that foreign intervention could've swayed it either way.

Now, now. Treat Hillary with some modicum of respect. She wasn't all bad...
The only person who could lose to Donald Trump was Hillary Clinton. The only person who could lose to Hillary Clinton was Donald Trump