• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Punishment

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Not to mention the fact that they will eventually be as big or bigger than you. What do you do when they begin to hit back?

its interesting how some equate it to stronger, or more powerful. as if it's a willfull act of a mind over another's body.

it doesn't seem to be equated with bad thinking; which reinforces the behavior of "i get what i want even if it doesn't make sense and because I say so"; which is the logic of the anti-social behavior too.

its a disconnected mind trying to exert its thinking onto an other self's body. if the two don't come to the same view point, there is still a huge mental gap.

this was the problem with NT parable of the rich man and lazarus. they could see one another, and even speak to one another, but there was a huge gulf between the two. it was psychological gulf and not a physical gulf. the richman and lazarus might as well been on two different planets.

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Not exactly, Your emotions as an adult can deal with the shock and pain better yes but also a opened hand slap has minimal force, adults would not be hurt unless hit in a sensitive spot and may actually like it (sexually).

Police, Hospitals and People use physical force on adults as an offense in today's world. A black man getting out of his car or walking down the street will be tackled and beat for no reason see (black lives matter). Immigrants have the same problem.

Negative reinforcement is not at all like positive reinforcement but both are used for correction throughout the world with varying rates of success.

David T

Premium Member
Why is it OK to spank an unruly, physically immature, and juvenile person and not an unruly, psychologically immature, and elderly person?
because the spanker spanking the spanked, also must be unruly, psychologically immature it's then called mutual consent!!!!
images (2).jpg

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The threat of pain may effectively suppress unwanted behavior, but only as long as long as the punishment appears likely. Once no more threat is perceived there's no psychological brake on the anti-social behavior.

The goal should be to instill a strong, internalized social conscience so that the individually will voluntarily behave himself. Threats won't accomplish this.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Because a young person is the only one for whom the behavior modification will stick. A young person can learn then, an old person will require a lot more discipline. I wish I had been spanked when I was little and there's no sense in doing it now.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Last edited:

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
"Certainly, overly severe physical punishment is going to have adverse effects on children ... But for younger kids, if spanking is used in the most appropriate way and the child perceives it as being motivated by concern for their behavior and welfare, then I don't think it has a detrimental effect."

from your link. So I guess appropriate spanking is well... appropriate.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
"Certainly, overly severe physical punishment is going to have adverse effects on children ... But for younger kids, if spanking is used in the most appropriate way and the child perceives it as being motivated by concern for their behavior and welfare, then I don't think it has a detrimental effect."

from your link. So I guess appropriate spanking is well... appropriate.

so you believe reacting out of fear is better than acting out of love?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
No I don't. I believe if I had been spanked because I needed to know that I had to behave if I was a grown-up then I would have a lot better behavior now.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
That's the only time to do it... and I believe it has to be done very specifically if it is to be successful... see my quote from your link.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Why in all these articles you post does it lump in child abuse with spanking? Because that would mean there is no difference between the two. If there is no difference then why use different words for it?

Spanking imo is 2 or 3 light slaps on the buttocks with an open hand.

I think using leather belts, wooden paddles, fist or any other object other than an open hand is too much. Or even with an open hand, leaving a hand print behind is too much.

But lumping in a spanking with pushing a kid down a flight of stairs defeats the purpose of the study.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Why in all these articles you post does it lump in child abuse with spanking? Because that would mean there is no difference between the two. If there is no difference then why use different words for it?

Spanking imo is 2 or 3 light slaps on the buttocks with an open hand.

I think using leather belts, wooden paddles, fist or any other object other than an open hand is too much. Or even with an open hand, leaving a hand print behind is too much.

But lumping in a spanking with pushing a kid down a flight of stairs defeats the purpose of the study.

has to do with negative reinforcement; which is avoidance of behavior based on self, and positive reinforcement; which is engagement with other as self.

energy cannot be created, or destroyed, it can be tranformed.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
has to do with negative reinforcement; which is avoidance of behavior based on self, and positive reinforcement; which is engagement with other as self.

energy cannot be created, or destroyed, it can be tranformed.

I agree we shouldn't be spanking old folks. And spankings for folks over the age of say like 10 is pointless.

Bit young children age 10 and below, are not really capable of reasoning yet #notall. By all means if you have a bright child that you can reason with instead of spanking them go for it. But most children don't have a developed enough brain to reason yet.