• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pseudophilosophy Encourages Confused, Self-Indulgent Thinking

ecco

Veteran Member
Beliving in God and knowing God are not the same thing. So if atheism is not philosophy it woud be that that atheism is a hatred for wisdom.
That's funny.

Most people are born into and raised in a religion. Sunnis grow up to be Sunnis. Baptists grow up to be Baptists. Neither seek out knowledge. They just go with their childhood indoctrination.

Seeking wisdom means looking beyond childhood indoctrinations.

Most never try.

Baptists grow up to be Baptists.
Not always. I became a Christian in 1962. I became a Christian at a Baptist church. One does not have to be a Baptist to become a Christian. Prior to 1962 I was "Christian" but not yet a Christian.

Exodus 21:
7And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do. 8If she please not her master, who hath betrothed her to himself, then shall he let her be redeemed: to sell her unto a strange nation he shall have no power, seeing he hath dealt deceitfully with her. 9And if he have betrothed her unto his son, he shall deal with her after the manner of daughters. 10If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish. 11And if he do not these three unto her, then shall she go out free without money.
I guess you believe it's OK to sell your daughter.

Leviticus 15:
19And if a woman have an issue, and her issue in her flesh be blood, she shall be put apart seven days: and whosoever toucheth her shall be unclean until the even.
Do you kick your wife out of the house for seven days every month?

It's kind of silly to have quote wars based on the Bible, isn't it?
We do not live today under that theocracy were God had to give those ancient Hebrews rules so not to abuse others against the evil practices of that day. Nor do we live under the Roman laws of the day the New Testament was written.
Do not be irrational. You need to read the Jewish commentary on Exodus by Dennis Prager. https://www.amazon.com/Rational-Bible-Exodus-Dennis-Prager/dp/1621577724

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Belief does not causes anything to be true. People believe their senses. As a Christian I know God, as do all genuine Christians.

But there is a warning, Titus 1:14-16, ". . . of men, that turn from the truth. Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, . . ." So the Apostle wrote in another place, 2 Corinthians 13:5, "Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, . . ."
Never considered that such 'keep on the path' markers, and which are common to many religions, are a bit obvious, and mostly expected? If you don't, I certainly do, since it aligns with so much else that does the same. Such clever people those that built the religions - except the methods they use to gain and keep their flock might make many suspicious. Me again. :oops:

Never considered that such 'keep on the path' markers, and which are common to many religions, are a bit obvious, and mostly expected? If you don't, I certainly do, since it aligns with so much else that does the same. Such clever people those that built the religions - except the methods they use to gain and keep their flock might make many suspicious. Me again. :oops:
Well, have you considered that genuine Christianity is not a mere invention?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
As much as any other religion that has as large a number of adherents. Bit of a bind to do it for all though. Any suggestions as to sifting the wheat from the chaff?

As much as any other religion that has as large a number of adherents. Bit of a bind to do it for all though. Any suggestions as to sifting the wheat from the chaff?
What is of real value has often has had its counterfiets.
Which religions has more counterfiets? While that does not make that religion the truth, one must ask why is it so deemed to be of more value?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
What is of real value has often has had its counterfiets.
Which religions has more counterfiets? While that does not make that religion the truth, one must ask why is it so deemed to be of more value?
Well you might have to wean me from a tendency towards Buddhism, given that this is the nearest to religion I might want to be, but then I'm sure I might not even make a good Buddhist. All the Abrahamic religions don't appeal to me.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Not without reason. Might you explain?
Look too much like written for their times and for the people then, rather than for all time, and why they often have aspects that to me slow down or negate progress - things like negativity towards homosexuals or having some assumed values concerning females, for example. Plenty of other things I dislike about them too, and I'm fortunate to be living now rather than at some other time in history or in some other place, since I might not be so free to live as I want to live.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What's the difference between a philosophy & a pseudo-philosophy?
Are pseudo-philosophers just denied memberships in the APU?
(Amalgamated Philosopher's Union....Not Apu from The Simpsons.)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The four noble truths and to follow the eight fold path to observe them.
I think the last time I had a look, I had problems with karma and rebirth - even if the first does often happen - but I believe death is the end, so even if I value much of the teaching I would probably not make a good Buddhist.

ecco

Veteran Member
Not always. I became a Christian in 1962. I became a Christian at a Baptist church. One does not have to be a Baptist to become a Christian.

Nowhere did I say one has to be a Baptist to become a Christian. Generally speaking, most people continue in the specific aspect of the religion they were raised in. Obviously, there are exceptions. But seldom do Christians become Muslims or Hindus.

The bottom line is that most people never get far away from their childhood indoctrinations.

Prior to 1962 I was "Christian" but not yet a Christian.

I have no clue what that means.

ecco

Veteran Member
We do not live today under that theocracy were God had to give those ancient Hebrews rules so not to abuse others against the evil practices of that day. Nor do we live under the Roman laws of the day the New Testament was written.
Do not be irrational.

You were the one that quoted scripture when you were trying to make a point. Why do you consider me to be irrational when I quote scripture right back at you? Do you only consider rational scripture to be those things you like and all other scripture as irrational?

ecco

Veteran Member

Ya gotta love it when people use terms like "genuine Christianity". That's right up there with "a real Christian".

After due consideration, it is obvious that all gods are the creations of man's imaginings. One clue is that all gods look like the folks that created them (at least idolized versions thereof).

. . . I believe death is the end, . . .
It is at this time, death is the end of this life for sure.
There are more points of view than one. Of course only one of those views about death, after death, if there is such a thing (as a Christian, that is believed). The point is from a stand point of not knowing the odds are the view taken is going to be wrong. So if your view is right, once I die from this life I will not know anything. But there is this thing about genuine Christians knowing God.