• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proposition 8 lawyer claims that the purpose of marriage is to promote procreation

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Following that logic, why shouldn't gays be some of the married people who aren't procreating? (Or some of the married people who are, for that matter?) Even if they're married, they're not marriage.
I agree: the argument is not a good one to support his cause.

You're saying that he's aware that it's an opinion, but he feels his opinion should be enforced as law?
I'm saying he has a perspective on it, reflected in his words. You and I may not share that perspective, but it's not a lie.

Humanistheart

Proposition 8 is being challenged on constitutional grounds. One of the news articles can be found here:
Witness: Civil unions like allowing just one bite of Twinkie - CNN.com

What caught my attention was the following excerpt:
Charles Cooper, an attorney representing Protect Marriage, the group that came up with Proposition 8, told the judge in his opening statement the purpose of marriage is to promote procreation between men and women.

I don't want children. My girlfriend doesn't want children. Neither of us has children. My girlfriend got her tubes tied at the age of 32 and went through menopause at 42. And if we ever break up, I plan to get a vascectomy before entering the dating scene again.

For those of you who oppose gay marriage because you believe as Charles Cooper does, why should my girlfriend and I have more right to marry than a homosexual couple? Do you believe that we should be banned from marrying also? Or do you believe that Charles Cooper lied to the judge in his opening statement?

Yeah, the only argument that could possibly have been dumber than what that lawyer's proposing is to involve 'god' in some way, lol.

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
With a divorce rate of around 50% in America, I don't believe one could seriously promote marriage as any singular focus -- especially procreation. The counter argument from the gay community could very well be that technology now exists to economically and efficiently procreate via artificial means which results to the same outcome -- procreation. They could also argue that adoption rate amongst gay couple are the highest which could lower the large number of foster kids in the system. Gays also bring up home values when they congregate or concentrate in any area they move to. They can also point out the fact that divorce rate amongst gays are very low comparatively.

Combine all of these factors and you have arguably a case where gay parents could make equally suitable parents in the very least.

Smoke

Done here.
I don't think it was a lie, just a perspective.
It was a lie told from from a dishonest perspective.

Trying to find a rational reason to discriminate against gay people is like trying to prove the existence of god by rational means. It can't be done, so those who try are reduced to lies and stupidity.

Smoke

Done here.
I'm saying he has a perspective on it, reflected in his words. You and I may not share that perspective, but it's not a lie.
In the context of constitution and law -- which is the only context that matters for legal purposes -- it is obviously and unambiguously false. Unless he's completely ignorant of US law, it's a barefaced lie.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In the context of constitution and law -- which is the only context that matters for legal purposes -- it is obviously and unambiguously false. Unless he's completely ignorant of US law, it's a barefaced lie.
I'm not sure how an American attorney could be completely ignorant of US law, but if he were, it would mean that he made a barefaced lie when he swore his oath when he was admitted to the bar.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
This should upset alot of old folks getting married.
Old folks, sterile couples, people who just don't want kids, and the list goes on.

I really hope reason and human rights win out in this case. I lost faith in the general American populace when Prop 8 passed, and I'll loose even more if it's not overturned.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Karl R,

Proposition 8 lawyer claims that the purpose of marriage is to promote procreation

Democracy allows individuals freedom to choose and is a constitutional right.
However suppose the proposition is correct what would the Govt. do to people who do not have children; do they have any policing on that?

Love & rgds

Smoke

Done here.
I really hope reason and human rights win out in this case. I lost faith in the general American populace when Prop 8 passed, and I'll loose even more if it's not overturned.
I have no faith in the American people and no faith in the Supreme Court. I expect nothing, but I still hope.

RomCat

Gays are incapable of marriage.
There never has been such a thing
as gay marriage and never will be.
The term "gay marriage" is a contradiction
in terms(i.e. oxymoron).

freethinker44

It is funny to me, that no one against gay marriage can think of a non-religious reason for it that doesn't make marriage unethical for eveyone else.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
in terms(i.e. oxymoron).
I suggest you read a history book.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If that's really the case, then it would be foolish to outlaw it.

If people really thought this way, then I suppose that for their next trick, the anti-same-sex marriage lobby will campaign for a law forbidding pi from ever equalling 5. :D

in terms(i.e. oxymoron).
Not so much, actually.

OTOH, you do realize that "Roman Catholic" is an oxymoron, don't you? ;)

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Im getting tired..(cause Im 42 and I chase my grandbaby around ) but I disagree .

"Gays" are "capable" of marriage .

If the only thing that "qualifies" you as "capable " of marriage is one has a penis and one has a vagina then its a failure already.

Why not just get rid of marriage all together?Heteros are only "1/2' capable of it.OH thats right they get 2nd and 3rd and 4th chances at it.(ROLL EYES)

Love

Dallas

Last edited: