• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prophets and Mystics (Mysticism DIR)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm having trouble with the OP. The words "prophet" and "mystic" are from a Western perspective and I spend most of my time in an Eastern one. From that frame-of-reference, I don't see the distinction you are drawing.

Also, could you cite mystics who have become atheists? Because to me to have an experience that causes one to deny the experience seems unlikely at best.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm having trouble with the OP. The words "prophet" and "mystic" are from a Western perspective and I spend most of my time in an Eastern one. From that frame-of-reference, I don't see the distinction you are drawing.

So, basically, you're saying you see little or no difference between prophets and mystics. Thanks for your input.

Also, could you cite mystics who have become atheists? Because to me to have an experience that causes one to deny the experience seems unlikely at best.

That finding was from the work of Andrew Newberg, a neuroscientist. He did not identify individuals, but noted that about 22% of people who claim to have had mystical experiences are atheists*, and that some who have claimed to have had mystical experiences also claim that the experiences led them to become atheists.

I would suggest that notion that a mystical experience is always interpreted by the person who has one as an experience of god is simply not true.

*Please note that the figure -- 22% -- is not offered as the percentage of atheists who have had mystical experiences, but rather as the percentage of atheists among those who claim to have had mystical experiences.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Andrew Newberg

I did a quick search because this interests me and found 135. Dr. Andrew Newberg on God of the Fundamentalist Atheist | Skeptiko - Science at the Tipping Point which is more about how people view "God" whether atheist or doctrinal Christian. So I have to wonder if what someone who says he's become an atheist is speaking more about not believing in an anthropomorphic God any longer.

So, basically, you're saying you see little or no difference between prophets and mystics.

I see a difference between what they do. From a traditional Eastern perspective I would say that not all yogis are gurus. And I see a difference in how people conceptualize divinity and their experience of divinity. But I don't compare/contrast them into two categories.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I did a quick search because this interests me and found 135. Dr. Andrew Newberg on God of the Fundamentalist Atheist | Skeptiko - Science at the Tipping Point which is more about how people view "God" whether atheist or doctrinal Christian. So I have to wonder if what someone who says he's become an atheist is speaking more about not believing in an anthropomorphic God any longer.

I have read several of Dr. Newberg's books and I would strongly caution you against forming conclusions about what is in those books based on your having read a single, short article/interview of Dr. Newberg. In his book, How Enlightenment Changes Your Brain, he notes -- but does not make a big deal about -- that some people who have mystical experiences become atheists because of those experiences.

Contrary to what many people expect, the mystical experience need not automatically or inevitably be interpreted as an experience of god. The Buddha certainly did not interpret what he called "nirvana" to be an experience of deity. Nor did Lao-Tzu interpret what he called "the Tao" to be an experience of deity.

The vast majority of people, however, interpret the mystical experience as an experience of god.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
NOTE: This thread is posted in the Mysticism DIR.

Do most prophets strike you as mystics? Why or why not?

Not necessarily. As I see it, while a prophet may be a mystic dependent on his/her experience, a mystic's practices are geared toward self realization and understanding of that realization, while a prophet's practices are geared more toward being an intermediary between a divine being and humankind. The prophet's practice may or may not be inspired by a mystical experience.

Kirran

Premium Member
Surely it depends on the descriptive and associative habits you've built up?

As for the OP - really depends what you call a prophet. One woman I saw once described a prophet as 'someone who speaks from the spirit', so yeah that's a mystic. But if it someone who is a channel for prophecy, then maybe not necessarily.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not necessarily. As I see it, while a prophet may be a mystic dependent on his/her experience, a mystic's practices are geared toward self realization and understanding of that realization, while a prophet's practices are geared more toward being an intermediary between a divine being and humankind. The prophet's practice may or may not be inspired by a mystical experience.
Yes, it can be very cultural or political, or ideological in some way. Those wouldn't be considered mystical as mystical experience transcends all of these. The prophet telling someone they need to go to war, has nothing to do with mystical realizations.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Contrary to what many people expect, the mystical experience need not automatically or inevitably be interpreted as an experience of god.
My experiences of 'oneness' I would not say was 'with God.' I was still the same size and shape, I just saw and/or felt connected to everything around me...neither superior nor inferior, neither separate nor 'totalness'...but in no wise did I feel like I was connected to "God."

Baladas

An Págánach
I think that it depends on the prophet and their personal experiences.
I would personally define a prophet as someone who claims a clear divine calling (usually from a specific deity), which usually involves delivering a message or performing a task of some kind.

I define a mystic as someone who has had a profound mystic experience that has led them to conclude that they are a part of the web of life, the Earth and/or the Universe. Most describe this as a union with (or a total immersion in the presence of) a god or gods, many do not.

People can obviously be mystics without claiming a divine calling or feeling that they are compelled to perform certain tasks or deliver messages.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
NOTE: This thread is posted in the Mysticism DIR.

Do most prophets strike you as mystics? Why or why not?

I know this is an older thread, but I like the topic. I find in my readings and studies, that a prophet is just a mystic who proselytizes. They receive a vision, word, or feeling of God(s) and then try to bring what they feel is the Truth, to as many as possible, through good or ill, because men are fallible.

PearlSeeker

Someone can pass a message because he/she is in close relationship with the author or someone is just a delivery person. I think prophets are also mystics unless they just offer their voice in trance like a medium.

PearlSeeker

Contrary to what many people expect, the mystical experience need not automatically or inevitably be interpreted as an experience of god. The Buddha certainly did not interpret what he called "nirvana" to be an experience of deity. Nor did Lao-Tzu interpret what he called "the Tao" to be an experience of deity.

The vast majority of people, however, interpret the mystical experience as an experience of god.

Meister Eckhart distinguished between experience of God and experience of Godhead (active contemplation and deep contemplation).

"While I yet stood in my first cause I had no God and I was my own; I willed nothing and wanted nothing, for I was conditionless being, the knower of myself in divine truth. Then I wanted myself and nothing else. What I willed I was and what I was I willed. I was free from God and all things. But when I escaped from my free will to take on my created nature, then I acquired a God, for before creatures came into existence, God was not God. He was what he was. When creatures came into existence, God was not God in himself, but he was God in creatures."