• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prophecies fulfilled by Jesus?

jtartar

Ok. I'll start out simply, and if necessary we'll get into it more deeply.

Isaiah 53 is an example of the sort of declaration that the nations and their kings will exclaim when they witness Israel's rejuvenation. The nations will contrast their former scornful attitude toward the Jews with their new realization of Israel's grandeur.

The servant of Isaiah 53 is the collective People of Israel.

Additionally, there are a handful of passages which are wrought with mistranslations in Christian versions of the text, which severely distort their view of this chapter... one of them being this :

Isaiah 53:8 Now that he has been released from captivity and judgment, who could have imagined such a generation? For he had been removed from the land of the living, an affliction upon them that was my people's sin.

Footnote to this verse: When Israel's exile is finally ended, the nations will marvel that such a generation could have survived the expulsion from "the land of the living", i.e. the Land of Israel, that the nations had sinfully inflicted upon it.

I want to direct your attention to something very specific.

For he had been removed from the land of the living, an affliction upon THEM that was my people's sin.

Who could "them" possibly be if we're talking about a particular individual?

Contrasted to the KJV which says:

for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

Let's now focus on verses 5 and 6, because those are the ones you presented.

He was pained because of our rebellious sins and oppressed through our iniquities; the chastisement upon him was for our benefit, and through his wounds, we were healed. We have all strayed like sheep, each of us turning his own way, and the Lord inflicted upon him the iniquity of us all.

Vs your version which says:

But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Back to my version... footnote for verse 5: We (the gentile nations) brought suffering upon Israel for our own selfish purposes; it was not, as we had claimed, that God was punishing Israel for its own evil behavior.

Let me direct your attention to something specific: It does NOT say "pierced". I get that Christian editors would want it to because of the whole piercing of the hands and feet that accompany crucifixion... but that sort of editing is like shooting an arrow at a blank wall, drawing a target around it and saying you hit a bullseye.

The Hebrew word is m'cholal which means "makes sick", or "makes pained". There is no way, except for purposeful mistranslation, to suggest that it could be translated as "pierced".

So, in summation, this chapter is not and cannot have anything to do with Jesus because it is about the collective nation of Israel. Only through violently ripping the text out of context while applying a heaping helping of mistranslations could one conclude that the passage refers to any one individual. Especially Jesus.

Poisenedlady,
One thing I am sure of, after reading your posts; you could make a fortune as a standup comic. I have never heard such dereism.
You should understand and BELIEVE your own Bible, the Hebrew Scriptures, which you evidently do not.
At Ps 12:6,7, God promises to protect His word from adulteration. There are many experts, both secular and Theological that have translated the Hebrew Scriptures. No one today needs to go back to the original scriptures to understsand God's word. The reason God used Hebrew and Greek was because the are very easy to translate into other languages, and not lose the message from God to man.
Duet 19:15, the Hebrew scriptures tells us tha at the mouth of two or three witnesses thematter should stand good. Why do you NOT believe what your own scriptures say???
In the first century there were thousands of Jews who recognized Jesus as the Messiah, who they were looking for, at that time, Luke 3:15.
Have you ever thought why God had FOUR GOSPELS written?? It was to satisfy, beyond doubt the question, for thed Jews. And what about the other Bible writers, all being Jews??
The Hebrew Scriptures are full of prophecies about a coming Messiah.
Daniel 9:24-27, gives the exact date of the arrival of the Messiah. This 70 weeks prophecy ended 31/2 years aftyer the death of Jesus.
Notice that verse 25 says; You should know and have insight, that from the going forth of the word to restore and rebuild Jerusalem, until Messiah the leader, there will be 7 weeks and 62 weeks, a period of 69 weeks. In several ancient prophecies a day stood for a year, Num 14:34, and Exe 4:5,6. When you apply this prophecy to history, you will find that the time the word went out to restore and rebuild Jerusalem was 455BC, which turned out to be the 20th year of the reign of Artaxerxes, Nehemiah 2:1-8. In the seven years or weeks, the temple was rebuilt, 49 years, then in the 69 weeks or years the date was 33CE, or 483 years. There was no zero year.If we were to read this prophecy before the events, we might have a problem understanding it, but not Jews, they were waiting for the Messiah. Now, when we can look back on just how the prophecy was fulfilled, we have to problem seeing what the prophecy meant.
The last week of years stood for a time that God was letting all Jewish people come into the Christian Congregation, before he opened the congregation to the gentiles. The prophecy even says, verse 27, that the covenant would be in force for the week, but that sacrifice and gift offering would cease. This stood for the death of the Messiah, as a Ransom Sacrifice, when Sacerdotalism would cease. A the end of the whole 490 years, Gentiles were accepted, for the first time into the Christian Congregation.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
I was about to respond with a snarky, snappy response, and thought better of it.

My pastor told me I have to work on my internet social skills. Your point is well taken. Nevertheless, I spent that whole post telling you why it doesn't fit the formula from Leviticus or the end of Deuteronomy. Bullet points:

1.The righteous servant is suffering not the sinner
2. God is not pleased when the righteous suffer though he may allow it.
3. It's one thing to say the suffering of Israel is allowed in hopes that the Gentiles feel sorrow for what they've done and repent of anti-Semitism. It's another thing to say "it's in the bag." The interpretation doesn't consider that God's plan isn't to just rid the world of anti-Semetism but to heal the WHOLE WORLD of every type of evil. I can't count all the OT passages that talk about God's inclusive agenda for what he started with Abraham.

conclusion: We're left with a sadistic version of God's plan where he allows a righteous people to suffer UNJUSTLY at the hands of gentiles in hop that the suffering will create sorrow among gentiles leading them to repent of anti-semitism. Again, in hope that they repent. There is no guarantee anyone will ever repent of any evil no matter how many "seers" think they see it in the future.

Last edited:

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
I only ask you one question...why can not the Christian beliefs stand on their own, but must be validated by reading into the Hebrew Bible prophecies that foretell of the Christian belief in Jesus.?

Because we believe he's the fulfillment of OT prophecy and that God started something with Abraham where all the nations of the world would be blessed by his decendants. We believe Jesus is the realization of that and that he's been prophesied about since the Fall in Genesis. The passage where God talks about the seed of the woman being the "thorn in Satan's side" is viewed as a prophecy of the virgin birth.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
Poisenedlady,
One thing I am sure of, after reading your posts; you could make a fortune as a standup comic. I have never heard such dereism.

Bro, if you're a follower of Jesus we have to do better than this. I may not be the gold standard in internet communication but flat out insulting a dude by calling him a chick just isn't good enough. I know it's hard though sometimes. I pray we'd both have the grace to rep Jesus better.

Harmonious

My pastor told me I have to work on my internet social skills. Your point is well taken.
Thank you for saying so.

Nevertheless, I spent that whole post telling you why it doesn't fit the formula from Leviticus or the end of Deuteronomy. Bullet points:

1.The righteous servant is suffering not the sinner
Not if you put it into context of the prior chapter.

In Chapter 52, Israel (as a nation) is warned against being rebellious, and is punished for that rebellion. And in the verses before Chapter 53, they repent, and God redeems Israel.

While the servant suffering in Chapter 53 is not the sinner spoken of, as the nations of the world will have sinned against Israel, it is clear that in context of the earlier chapter, that Israel is not without sin.

Comparatively to the non-Jewish persecutors, though, you are right. In comparison, one might say that the Jews sinned less. But if you look at the chapter from the perspective of the non-Jewish nations looking in awe of what they've done, and of what God will do, the nations will say something to the effect of: We caused them so much pain for no purpose.

2. God is not pleased when the righteous suffer though he may allow it.
We have no argument there.

3. It's one thing to say the suffering of Israel is allowed in hopes that the Gentiles feel sorrow for what they've done and repent of anti-Semitism. It's another thing to say "it's in the bag." The interpretation doesn't consider that God's plan isn't to just rid the world of anti-Semetism but to heal the WHOLE WORLD of every type of evil. I can't count all the OT passages that talk about God's inclusive agenda for what he started with Abraham.
Um...

You know, the way Jews understand this, and other passages like it, is that anti-Semitism is only PART of the problem that will be fixed. Generally, the idea is that non-Jews (usually the nations that were persecutory and unjust) will have a sense of justice, and act correctly IN ALL THEIR DEALINGS. Correcting anti-Semitism (ceasing from said practices) is just one dramatic expression of the nations acting with justice.

It IS about healing the whole world. Starting with healing the injustices heaped upon the Jews.

Yes, the Jews often sin, and we are punished for our sins, but WAY beyond what the crimes call for. The people who "sent their hand" against the Jews to provide that punishment will be called on the carpet for any iota of punishment beyond that which God ordained.

Harmonious

conclusion: We're left with a sadistic version of God's plan where he allows a righteous people to suffer UNJUSTLY at the hands of gentiles in hop that the suffering will create sorrow among gentiles leading them to repent of anti-semitism.
Not at all. If you look at Chapters 52, 54, and 54, the Jews will - for the most part be righteous, but will be in need of SOME chastisement. The non-Jews, in their chosen roles of deliverers of that punishment will give it WAY beyond the call of duty. When God forgives Israel and redeems us from non-Jewish cruelty, the non-Jews who gave that punishment will be judged for their actions.

It's really no different than what God expressed what would happen with the enslavement in Egypt, when He made the Covenant of the Pieces with Abraham in Genesis. It is no different than the description of what I described in Leviticus, or mentioned in Deuteronomy.

God won't take pleasure in the fact that people like the Crusaders, the Spanish Inquisitors, Chelmenicki's Cossacks, or the Nazis have and will crop up again to ravage the Jews. But God is aware that such things will happen, and the peoples involved WILL be judged for their actions.

Again, in hope that they repent. There is no guarantee they will repent no matter how many "seers" think they see it in the future.
Jeremiah 31: 16

Yeish tikvah l'acharitech, Ne'um Hashem...

"There is hope for your future," thus saith the Lord...

esmith

Veteran Member
Because we believe he's the fulfillment of OT prophecy and that God started something with Abraham where all the nations of the world would be blessed by his decendants. We believe Jesus is the realization of that and that he's been prophesied about since the Fall in Genesis. The passage where God talks about the seed of the woman being the "thorn in Satan's side" is viewed as a prophecy of the virgin birth.

Yes, I agree that Christians believe that Jesus is the messiah; Unfortunately only Christians believe it.
Also you do realize that Satan is "the accuser"(ha-satan) and answers to God. Only in the Christian New Testament is Satan transformed into something else. From what passage do you read ""thorn in Satan's side" being the prophecy of the virgin birth?

Poisonshady313

I expended most of my energies on the Isaiah 53 debate. There were about 4-8 individual prophecies in that collection of verses. I thought the Jewish contextual argument was downright ridiculous that the righteous servant could possibly be the nation of Israel. It's preposterous given that Isaiah makes very clear throughout the rest of the chapter that they're quite adulterous. The thought that it pleases God for them to suffer is even more ridiculous given that according to Judaism's reading they're suffering unjustly at the hands of the gentiles. The Jewish assumption is that this suffering will cause sorrow among the gentiles and that sorrow will lead them to repentance and hence "be healed". I guess someone can see the future in Judaism's reading of this passage as they're downright predicting the gentiles will make a choice to repent of anti-Semitism, a choice still a long way off. It's almost like this contextual reading turns Isaiah 53 into Judaism's version of Minority Report with Tom Cruise. If you haven't seen the movie it's all about judging people for crimes they have yet to even commit. "Seers" are able to see the future in this movie and that's how they "know" a crime would be commited so it's sort of similar though not an identical comparison. My thought is that some Rabbis or scholars felt they couldn't say "you know, we don't really know who or what this passage refers to" and they had to fit something in there so they used Israel as a nation. At least say Isaiah 53 sounds nothing like anyone Judaism is familiar with or understands. Not to mention the fact that the NT explicitly speaks of spiritual blindness which prevents people from seeing that Jesus is who he says he is. It says it is only by God's Holy Spirit that it can it be revealed to a person who Jesus is. If that's the case, then the root of all these disagreements isn't intellectual, it's spiritual, and no amount of reasoning can possibly overcome it.

This whole post goes out the window when we realize that you have no concept of context in general. Read the preceding chapter. Read the current chapter. Read the next chapter. Isaiah 53 doesn't exist in a vacuum. There is no reason to believe that the servant being spoken of is supposed to be the heir to David's messianic heritage. It's just not there. For you to see a few buzzwords and say "Well Israel isn't all that wonderful, so Israel can't possibly be the righteous servant of Isaiah" isn't all that meaningful when you can't come up with a reasonable alternative... and that the only alternative you come up with is one that's convenient to your faith.

If you need help understanding why certain things were said, I'm sure there are folks who know enough about scripture, the Hebrew language, and the history of the People of Israel to be able to help out. But seeing something you don't readily understand and dismissing it outright, saying "It can't possibly be about Israel because I don't understand how it could be" is really rather weak.

And it has been pointed out that the Jews cycle of being righteous, going astray, being punished and subsequently oppressed beyond what might be adequate punishment, and being redeemed and being in a state of righteousness is a basic theme throughout the history of the people of Israel, starting from God telling Abraham about the people being enslaved in Egypt, and then being taken out of Egypt while the Egyptians were being judged for their oppression of the Israelites. It has happened.. it was happening... and it would happen again.

If you don't figure God is in the position of knowing that the people of the world would unfairly oppress the people of Israel and ultimately come to express their regret and surprise at Israel's glory when Israel is redeemed... you have no business being involved in a thread about prophecy fulfillment.

This "Minority Report" business... this incredulity regarding God's ability to tell us about the future... I expect that sort of thing from atheists.

If you're going to shut your eyes to what the text actually says, and assert it means what you say it does "Just cuz I say so".... then you have a problem.

Poisonshady313

It seems like the main strength of the Jewish contextual argument (if you can call it a strength) is that God was speaking about the nation of Israel before the passages in question (roughly Isaiah 53) and was speaking about the nation Israel after the passages in question. The Jewish argument can then be simplified by saying that the passages in between (again, roughly Isaiah 53) must be about the nation of Israel because the passages before it and after it were about the nation of Israel. Isn't this a rather simplistic way of viewing contextualizing?

Only if you figure the book of Isaiah was put together by throwing darts and a dartboard. Random paragraphs thrown together haphazardly for no rhyme or reason.

I've mentioned it explicitly already in this thread. If you simply follow what's written, the fact that it's Israel being talked about is clear.

Consider that the last two verses of Isaiah 52 express an incomplete thought. Just as muiltitudes were astonished over you, so will the many nations exclaim...

Exclaim what?

You find out in chapter 53.

To figure this "His appearance is too marred to be a man's, and his visage to be human" refers to Jesus at the time he had been beaten and whipped to a bloody pulp just before his crucifixion is absolutely arbitrary. There's nothing before or after this passage to indicate that Isaiah 52:14 is about an individual having been beaten at all.

If you rip it out of context, you could say that Mick Foley is the servant of Isaiah 52, after some of the savage beatings he took rendering him a bloody mess, hardly recognizable as a human. And just as I would laugh at you for suggesting that Isaiah wrote about Mick Foley, so do I laugh at you for suggesting that Isaiah wrote about Jesus.

Israel, on the other hand, had been, for many centuries, a people without a land, and every place they lived on this earth treated them as if they were subhuman, resented the fact that they refused to assimilate, and would often degrade, torture, murder, or exile them without regard for their humanity.

This boils down to: Who is the servant? The rest of the chapter is just details, and if you can't wrap your head around it, that's your problem. Who is the servant?

Israel.

Who is the suffering servant of the Lord?
Answer: The fact is that the identity of the servant has already been established by Isaiah in previously stated passages. In Isaiah 41 :8-9; 44:1-2, 21; 45:4; 48:20; 49:3 the prophet identifies Israel as the servant.

Moreover, the history of Israel, down through the ages shows that the servant is, none other than Israel personified. Chapter 53 reiterates this fact by providing an historic overview of the tragedies and triumphs of the servant, Israel, throughout its history. Who would believe that this exiled nation, this humiliated loathsome Jewish people would be fated to survive the vicissitudes of its historical sufferings to once more have a future entailing prominence, hope, and joy.
Who is the suffering servant of the Lord?

It's come to the point where I don't even care if you want to fit Jesus as the servant or not. Call it an unknown if that sits better with you because it seems like a real stretch to fit in the Jewish explanation of righteous Israel suffering followed by all the world being healed because they were sorry about anti-semetism.

The fact that you don't get it is a personal problem. If you can't wrap your mind around the fact that Jews have throughout history been very unfairly mistreated by the nations they lived in, and that the nations of the world will come to regret this when Israel is redeemed has has been promised repeatedly throughout scripture, you might want to spend some serious time re-reading the words of the prophets.

What matters is what is being talked about. This is elementary school stuff. Reading a passage and identifying the main idea.

You're getting bogged down in details you personally can't figure out, and re-writing the narrative to make yourself happy. I think someone in the "new testament" referred to this as straining at gnats and swallowing a camel.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
It seems like the main strength of the Jewish contextual argument (if you can call it a strength) is that God was speaking about the nation of Israel before the passages in question (roughly Isaiah 53) and was speaking about the nation Israel after the passages in question. The Jewish argument can then be simplified by saying that the passages in between (again, roughly Isaiah 53) must be about the nation of Israel because the passages before it and after it were about the nation of Israel. Isn't this a rather simplistic way of viewing contextualizing? It's come to the point where I don't even care if you want to fit Jesus as the servant. Call it an unknown if that sits better with you because it seems like a real stretch to fit in the Jewish explanation of righteous Israel suffering followed by all the world being healed because they were sorry about anti-semetism.

Poisonshady313

I want to share with you a story about a Rabbi who made a startling discovery regarding the Messiah...

My name is Moshe and I am a Chassidic Jew who has, from my youth, learned the words of our Holy Prophets, and has been puzzled by their meaning. Then, on the day before Yom Kippur, I contemplated the solemnity of the day and was made aware of the amazing meaning of G-d's words. I recognized the fulfillment of 42 Messianic prophecies of the Tenach, and they changed my life forever.

1. Early in the morning I went to get my rooster to fulfill the ancient custom. There in the light I looked into his eyes and saw fulfilled the words, 'I am the rooster who has seen affliction.' (Lam. 3:1)
  2. I took him and swung him around my head as the verse says, 'And he circled his head.' (Lam 3:5)
  3. I moved my hands as I swirled him, as it says, 'Only against me did he turn his hand.' (Lam 3:3)
  4. With this he leaped from my hand and started to run. As it says, 'They have run away without seeing good.' (Job 9:25)
  5. I cried a short pray to HaShem as it says, 'My words I say out of the bitterness of my soul.' (Job 10:1)
  6. He ran from me, fulfilling the verse, 'To me they showed their back and not their face.' (Jer. 32:33)
  7. I borrowed a cane from a man near me so as to catch him with the rounded edge, as the verse says, 'And Moshe took the stick.' (Ex. 4:20,
  8. (Num 20:8 -- same)
  9. I tried to catch him with the hook, but only the blows of the cane hit his back as it says, 'Afflicted by the rod of his anger.' (Lam. 3:1)
  10. It also says, 'I struck you with the blows of an enemy.' (Jer. 30:12)
  11. He turned to me and I got him right on the cheek fulfilling the verse, 'I have offered my cheek to the one who strikes me.' (Lam. 3:30)
  12. He ran from me into a dark corner and I followed after him, as the verse says, 'He has led me and driven me into the darkness and not light.' (Lam. 3:2)
  13. I had him there in the corner as it says; 'All her pursuers overtook her in the small place.' (Lam. 1:3)
  14. He stood there silent, as he had been to this time in fulfillment of the words of the prophet, 'He was persecuted and afflicted, be he did not open his mouth.' (Is. 53:7)
  15. In that corner there was just nowhere for him to hide from me as the verse says, 'Can a person hide in a concealed place, and I should not see him?' (Jer. 23:25)
  16. He was now trapped as the verse says, 'He has walled me in so I cannot escape.' (Lam. 3:7)
  17. In his eyes I could see him praying silently to HaShem, 'My G-d my G-d why have you forsaken me?' (Psalm 22:1)
  18. Clearly it was fulfilled for him, 'The mighty ones of Bashan encircle me.' (Psalm 22:13)
  19. I grabbed him and he started to call out to HaShem. As the verse says, 'My G-d, I call to you by day and you do not answer and by night and there is no respite.' (Psalm 22:3)
  20. But there was no answer as it says, 'Though I would scream out and plead he shut out my prayer.' (Lam. 3:8)
  21. It was clearly the end. I grabbed him and took my place in the line waiting to give my rooster to the shochet (ritual slaughterer.) He was silent, 'Like a sheep being led to the slaughter or a ewe to her sharers he did not open his mouth.' (Is. 53:7)
  22. The shochet took him by the neck as it says; 'He grasped me by the neck.' (Job 16:12)
  23. With that he screamed out, 'Be not far from me because distress is near and there is none to help me.' (Psalm 22:12)
  24. He also said, 'Save my soul from the sword.' (Psalm 22:21)
  25. He slaughtered him fulfilling 'He was removed from the living land.' (Is. 53:8)
  26. He let the blood fall on the floor, as it says, 'I am poured out like water.' (Psalm 22:15)
  27. I took the dead chicken and gazed at it as the prophet says, 'They have looked upon me whom they have pierced.' (Zech 12:10)
  28. I took it to be made kosher. We separated it into pieces snapping it's bones as the verses say, 'All my bones became disjointed.' (Psalm 22:15)
  29. Also 'He has broken my bones.' (Lam 3:4)
  30. Then I took him home to cook. My wife removed the skin as it says, 'He has worn away my flesh and skin.' (Lam. 3:4)
  31. She placed him in a pot with water, as it says, 'For the waters have reached unto my soul.' (Psalm 69:2)
  32. She added many spices as it says, 'And she gave ...many spices.' (1 Kings 10:10)
  33. She covered up the pot so it could cook as it says; 'He has placed me in darkness.' (Lam 3:6)
  34. The smell of it filled the room as it says, 'That the spices may flow out.' (Song 4:16)
  35. After that it was served on the table and we gazed upon it as the verse says, 'I count my bones and they gaze and look upon me.' (Psalm 22:18)
  36. He was divided among the members of my family, as it says, 'Therefore I will divide him among the many.' (Is. 53:12)
  37. We rejoiced and sang as we ate him, as it says, 'I have become a thing of laughter for my people, they sing all day long.' (Lam. 3:14)
  38. Also, 'In him our hearts were joyful.' (Psalm 33:21)
  39. 39/40/41. After which we were full and praised G-d as it says, 'You shall eat and be satisfied and praise HaShem your G-d.' (Deut. 6:11,
  40. (Same for Deut 8:10)
  41. (Same for Deut 11:15).
  42. We truly saw the goodness of G-d as it says, 'You should taste and see that HaShem is good.' (Psalm 34:9)
There were many more messianic prophecies that I could have added that applied to my messianic rooster. Many more he will fulfill when he comes back.
The "prophecies" brought here by pegg and by you are very similarly ridiculous in their application to Jesus.... largely because most of them aren't even Messianic prophecies (many of them aren't prophecies at all)... and the "new testament" making use of scriptures from the Tanach are about as impressive as writing a story about a rooster that is the Messiah.

If you can understand why Moshe's rooster is not the Messiah, then you can understand why Jesus is not the Messiah.

Last edited:

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
The fact that you don't get it is a personal problem. If you can't wrap your mind around the fact that Jews have throughout history been very unfairly mistreated by the nations they lived in, and that the nations of the world will come to regret this when Israel is redeemed has has been promised repeatedly throughout scripture, you might want to spend some serious time re-reading the words of the prophets.

What matters is what is being talked about. This is elementary school stuff. Reading a passage and identifying the main idea.

You're getting bogged down in details you personally can't figure out, and re-writing the narrative to make yourself happy. I think someone in the "new testament" referred to this as straining at gnats and swallowing a camel.

I think the scope is a little limited regarding the healing that is supposed to take place among the nations if it's limited to only anti-semitism. I propose that God might have a plan that includes the healing of all nations including Israel. That there would be a healing of every kind of evil and peace being made between him and sinners of every nation. This is prophesied about in an uncontested passage in Zephaniah. When exactly do the Jews expect the prophecy of Zephaniah 2:11 to take place, when the gods people worship are exposed as frauds and men of all nations bow to God?

Tanakh's version of Zephaniah 2

11 HaShem will be terrible unto them; for He will famish all the gods of the earth; then shall all the isles of the nations worship Him, every one from its place

Am I to assume that Jews are expecting an explosion of Judaism to take place all over the world any day now?

Last edited:

Poisonshady313

I think the scope is a little limited regarding the healing that is supposed to take place among the nations if it's limited to only anti-semitism. I propose that God might have a plan that includes the healing of all nations including Israel. That there would be a healing of every kind of evil and peace being made between him and sinners of every nation.
Harmonious dealt with this on the previous page.

Harmonious said:
You know, the way Jews understand this, and other passages like it, is that anti-Semitism is only PART of the problem that will be fixed. Generally, the idea is that non-Jews (usually the nations that were persecutory and unjust) will have a sense of justice, and act correctly IN ALL THEIR DEALINGS. Correcting anti-Semitism (ceasing from said practices) is just one dramatic expression of the nations acting with justice.

It IS about healing the whole world. Starting with healing the injustices heaped upon the Jews.

This is prophesied about in an uncontested passage in Zephaniah. When exactly do the Jews expect the prophecy of Zephaniah 2:11 to take place, when the gods people worship are exposed as frauds and men of all nations bow to God?

Tanakh's version of Zephaniah 2

11 HaShem will be terrible unto them; for He will famish all the gods of the earth; then shall all the isles of the nations worship Him, every one from its place

Am I to assume that Jews are expecting an explosion of Judaism to take place all over the world any day now?

When the Messiah arrives. And no, not an explosion of Judaism. A person can believe in the one true God and not be Jewish.

Zephaniah 2:11 reminds me of Isaiah 11:9

They will neither injure nor destroy in all of My sacred mountain; for the earth will be as filled with knowledge of God as water covering the sea bed.