• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proof of Jewish exile and escape from Egypt?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Is there any proof for the passover, that Jews did indeed live as slaves in Egypt and that the miracles and curses existed, water turning to blood, the pestilences, firstborn being killed, etc.........and thee scape of Israelites from Egyptians into the red sea?
No. We take it on faith in the writings of the Torah.

IndigoChild5559

How big a "might" do you suppose that is
on a literal reading?

What comes with it if (since) literal
Genesis cannot possibly be accurate?
Oh, I don't read literally. And I'm quite into things like the documentary hyypothesis.

Clara Tea

I thought some of the plagues were proven that at times the river has been known to bleed blood instead of water when the animals die out in it, and there have been plagues of frogs, and other animals, there's a certain science to it but it happens when certain viruses or maybe it's something different but it's scientific.

The Ten Plagues - Live From Egypt by Rabbi Mordechai Becher

The lpuwer papyrus describes similar events of Exodus. Other books include "Israel in Egypt by James Hoffmeiier, and Biblical Personalities and ARchaeology by Leah Bronner.

Mark 15: Historical intertexture

Retelling the Story

The Truth about the Exodus

Offline Illumination

Exodus is like Sargon story.

13. Bondage, Passover, and Exodus – BYU Studies

Exodus from a Mormon perspective.

https://www.brandeis.edu/hornstein/...AmericanTemperanceMovement,andModecaiNoah.pdf

The Temple Roots of the Liturgy

The Temple Roots of the Liturgy

https://scholar.csl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1026&context=stm

An Incomplete History

https://sbts-wordpress-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/equip/uploads/2015/10/Mooney-SBJT-Fall-08-2.pdf

Proof of Israel in slavery in Egypt.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I thought some of the plagues were proven that at times the river has been known to bleed blood instead of water when the animals die out in it, and there have been plagues of frogs, and other animals, there's a certain science to it but it happens when certain viruses or maybe it's something different but it's scientific.

It could be that there were times when some natural phenomena happened and later people turned them into Gods work.

I mean if in modern times COVID 19 can be interpreted by some as a biblical prophecy and it is Gods particular punishment for a particular reason, imagine how it could have been.

Brian2

Veteran Member
It is not archaeologists that place the event at that date. It is Bible literalists that date events in the Old Testament using genealogy that get the date you gave.

Those who follow the guidance given in the literature of the day end up with archaeological results that confirm the literature. But that is not circular reasoning, it is archaeology. And they also end up with results that line up with the known historical events of the era.
There has even been a Hebrew settlement in Goshen in Egypt. It is not a slave settlement and Goshen is where Genesis places the band of Hebrews (Isaac and his sons) when they went to Egypt. This site has 12 graves, one of which is a grave reserved in Egypt for special people (Joseph) and the others would be for his brothers. But interestingly enough some archaeologists refuse to see this as the site of the Israelites because it is in the wrong era historical period. They are looking in the wrong time period and this seems to come down to bad archaeological dating in Jericho at the start of the archaeological search for the conquest story.
It's a crazy situation and there seem to be archaeologists who are biased against the Bible and anything that might say that the Bible is right.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Those who follow the guidance given in the literature of the day end up with archaeological results that confirm the literature. But that is not circular reasoning, it is archaeology. And they also end up with results that line up with the known historical events of the era.
There has even been a Hebrew settlement in Goshen in Egypt. It is not a slave settlement and Goshen is where Genesis places the band of Hebrews (Isaac and his sons) when they went to Egypt. This site has 12 graves, one of which is a grave reserved in Egypt for special people (Joseph) and the others would be for his brothers. But interestingly enough some archaeologists refuse to see this as the site of the Israelites because it is in the wrong era historical period. They are looking in the wrong time period and this seems to come down to bad archaeological dating in Jericho at the start of the archaeological search for the conquest story.
It's a crazy situation and there seem to be archaeologists who are biased against the Bible and anything that might say that the Bible is right.
You ignored the point that I made and posted some nonsense instead.

Please use articles from real historians to support your claims. I am not biased against the Bible. It did get some facts right. The bias is yours because you can never admit that it got quite a few facts wrong.

Audie

Veteran Member

Kinda like how scientists are biased
and hate the bible and that's why evolution?

You want to claim bias, you better show it.

Meanwhile unless you can show Exodus evidence in respected
journals, your narrative has no value.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Is there any proof for the passover, that Jews did indeed live as slaves in Egypt and that the miracles and curses existed, water turning to blood, the pestilences, firstborn being killed, etc.........and thee scape of Israelites from Egyptians into the red sea?
No. Its ancient mythology.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I'm simply saying that I tend to take a more liberal understanding of the texts.

Oh okay.

I dont know what is liberal. But, the Documentary Hypothesis is a hypothesis Wellhausen came up with in the 19th century through excellent work of form criticism. It is a historical approach. Maybe you have referred to some other scholar who expounded on the documentary hypothesis and touched on some other aspects of the Bible. But the documentary hypothesis per se is not liberal or not. It is a textual analysis that identifies four different schools of thought that authored the pentateuch.

Thats why I was curious to understand what you meant.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh okay.

I dont know what is liberal. But, the Documentary Hypothesis is a hypothesis Wellhausen came up with in the 19th century through excellent work of form criticism. It is a historical approach. Maybe you have referred to some other scholar who expounded on the documentary hypothesis and touched on some other aspects of the Bible. But the documentary hypothesis per se is not liberal or not. It is a textual analysis that identifies four different schools of thought that authored the pentateuch.

It's liberal when compared to traditional Jewish views of the Tanach. I think that's what she meant.

firedragon

Veteran Member
It's liberal when compared to traditional Jewish views of the Tanach. I think that's what she meant.

I am not used to using this word Liberal to a textual analysis like the documentary hypothesis.

But that's fine. Thanks for explaining.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

No.

In fact, there's a lot of evidence to the contrary.

Riders

No.

In fact, there's a lot of evidence to the contrary.
Give us some examples. I know there is a camp found where Egyptian Soldiers who were hired to build the pyramids are there, so it would suggest they did not use Jewish slaves to build the pyramids, and what else?

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Oh okay.

Liberals not only use textual criticism to better understand the text, they also use literary analysis to identify genres such as myth and legend, and archeology to inform them.