• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prohibition.

DarkSun

:eltiT
I, personally, am against alcohol. Every year, alcohol costs us 3400 lives each year in vehicle accidents alone. It causes birth defects and life-long struggles for unborn children. But most importantly of all, I find it absolutely barbaric that people could drink a form of diluted poison for the sake of enjoyment. At least self inflicted mutilation would be more direct.

Now I would be for prohibition, but... the last time it was tried in the US it didn't turn out too well, and I'm of the understanding that it isn't going down too well in some Islamic communities either. If it could work, prohibition would possibly be the most moral thing we could do. But no one seems to know what's best for them...

I think the only hope we have of helping people is if we suddenly have a revelation, and realise that too many people have died for the sake of our enjoyment.

Anyway, those are my personal views. I'm very interested to see how many people would agree with me, because at my age in my culture, almost no one does.

Last edited:

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I, personally, am for alcohol. I am against driving drunk and I am against drinking when pregnant. But I am for people trying out alcohol and learning from it.

I think the government is there to help people. Not to take away every little thing that could possibly be dangerous. Providing information in most cases should be sufficient. In the case of alcohol, I think information is needed.

Alcohol thaght me a lot about myself. In drunken state and in sober state..

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I believe that wine has a strong cultural importance through out history.

And wine that maketh glad the heart of man ~Psalms, Hebrew Bible

Also DarkSun, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you are a Christian. how do you reconcile the barbarism of Jesus turning water into wine, drinking wine himself. and just the cultural importance of wine (for good or bad) in the Bible in general. (wine is mentioned a couple of hundred times through out the bible).

[SIZE=+1][FONT=Times, Times New Roman, Serif][SIZE=+0]Gen. 14:18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=+1][FONT=Times, Times New Roman, Serif][SIZE=+0]Gen. 27:25, 28 And he said, Bring it near to me, and I will eat of my son's venison, that my soul may bless thee. And he brought it near to him, and he did eat: and he brought him wine, and he drank....Therefore God give thee of the dew of heaven, and the fatness of the earth, and plenty of corn and wine...

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

DarkSun

I believe that wine has a strong cultural importance through out history.

Over-drinking has also been responsible for more than a few tragedies in history as well, some of them recorded, some of them not.

And wine that maketh glad the heart of man ~Psalms, Hebrew Bible

Apparently, the author of that psalm was heavily influenced by the culture of the time, as many people are today. And the writer of that psalm was only human, afterall. He was writing a prayer to God in praise of God - and whether that prayer was inspired by God or not, it would have been heavily influenced by the cultural context in which it was written.

As we all know today, alcohol is a depressant. Its effects on the mind diminish your cognitive abilities and impair your ability to make rational judgements. More than anything else, this is what make you "happy". In heavy amounts, it can be lethal - not only to yourself but, depending on how you react to it, to everyone around you. In many cases, like with drink driving, you don't even have any control over the matter.

Besides, historically and in the present time, it's caused too much suffering to be considered a wholly good thing. I view it as an insult to everyone who has died or currently suffers because of alcohol to go and drink it.

That being said... Most people who drink alcohol don't do so out of malice. They do it for a good time. I guess I can relate, but that's still how I feel about it.

Also DarkSun, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you are a Christian. how do you reconcile the barbarism of Jesus turning water into wine, drinking wine himself. and just the cultural importance of wine (for good or bad) in the Bible in general. (wine is mentioned a couple of hundred times through out the bible).

First off, my aversion to alcohol has nothing to do with my faith in Christianity, but a lot to do with my own personal preference. There are a few people who agree with me, too, Christian or non-theist alike. Personally, I think it's done too much wrong to be condorsed with open arms, if at all.

Secondly... if God is against alcohol himself, and if Jesus happened to speak out against it, how many people do you think would have listened to Him? None. He would've lost followers.

Most of the references to alcohol being a good thing in the Bible are there because the society of the time viewed it as a blessing. And maybe it is a good thing. It's just that the evidence I've come across suggests otherwise.

Besides, wine was a whole lot cleaner than water was in that time frame, so drinking it back then would have spared people from disease, not put disease upon them. And I don't think drink driving was as quite as lethal back then as it is now. There wasn't as much danger.

[SIZE=+1][FONT=Times, Times New Roman, Serif][SIZE=+0]
Gen. 14:18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=+1][FONT=Times, Times New Roman, Serif][SIZE=+0]Gen. 27:25, 28 And he said, Bring it near to me, and I will eat of my son's venison, that my soul may bless thee. And he brought it near to him, and he did eat: and he brought him wine, and he drank....Therefore God give thee of the dew of heaven, and the fatness of the earth, and plenty of corn and wine...[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=+1][FONT=Times, Times New Roman, Serif][SIZE=+0]You'll find in Genesis 19:30-33:

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
Lot and his two daughters left Zoar and settled in the mountains, for he was afraid to stay in Zoar. He and his two daughters lived in a cave. One day the older daughter said to the younger, "Our father is old, and there is no man around here to lie with us, as is the custom all over the earth. Let's get our father to drink wine and then lie with him and preserve our family line through our father." That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and lay with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

If it weren't for alcohol, then Lot wouldn't have been forced upon by his daughters. Oddly enough, how many times has alcohol aided rape in today's world?

Of course, the rules on incest didn't come to exist until Moses settled the Jews into the Promised Land, but what happened there was still wrong, regardless.

Not to contradict myself when I said that my aversion to alcohol is not a direct result of my Christianity. It isn't. It's just that I've come to take a rather negative stance on it. That's all.

Last edited:

DarkSun

I, personally, am for alcohol. I am against driving drunk and I am against drinking when pregnant. But I am for people trying out alcohol and learning from it.

I think the government is there to help people. Not to take away every little thing that could possibly be dangerous. Providing information in most cases should be sufficient. In the case of alcohol, I think information is needed.

Alcohol thaght me a lot about myself. In drunken state and in sober state.

As the cigarette campaign has shown, education can only go so far....

When I watch others drinking alcohol or otherwise taking other drugs, it teaches me a lot about myself too. It teaches me how very lucky I am to be able to have a good time without running the risk of hurting myself or others... For that lesson I'm very grateful.

I guess we can only agree to disagree. I see where you're coming from, though. I can understand it too... it's just that I disagree. :eek:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I, personally, am against alcohol. Every year, alcohol costs us 3400 lives each year in vehicle accidents alone. It causes birth defects and life-long struggles for unborn children. But most importantly of all, I find it absolutely barbaric that people could drink a form of diluted poison for the sake of enjoyment. At least self inflicted mutilation would be more direct.

Now I would be for prohibition, but... the last time it was tried in the US it didn't turn out too well, and I'm of the understanding that it isn't going down too well in some Islamic communities either. If it could work, prohibition would possibly be the most moral thing we could do. But no one seems to know what's best for them...

I think the only hope we have of helping people is if we suddenly have a revelation, and realise that too many people have died for the sake of our enjoyment.

Anyway, those are my personal views. I'm very interested to see how many people would agree with me, because at my age in my culture, almost no one does.

In theory, I agree with you wholeheartedly. The number of alcohol -=related crimes in the U.K (and the queues at the Emergency Hospital department on Friday and Saturday nights) speak for themselves.

Additionally, I heard only yesterday a consultant saying that whilst in the past, it was common place to find 50 -60 year olds with liver problems, he is seeing numerous teens, and twenty year olds. Liver problems - if I understand correcvtly - hardly show any symptoms until it is too late to do anything.

Personally, I have never taken recreational drugs - even though my older son refuses to believe me as I was a teenager in the '60's; in truth I was too scared to try anything. I an grateful for that.

Unfortunately, I do have a problem with alcohol; most of the time I avoid it (I am on a lot of medication that specifically warns against mixing with alcohol), but when I am particularly depressed, or stressed/anxious (which is unfortunately often), I binge drink.

Having said that, I have regular blood tests (because of all the medication I am on), and the results of a recent liver function test revealed that my "count" is equal to that of an abstainer. I am not sure who was more surprised (the doctor, or I).

Certainly, alcohol costs a massive sum to the entire country each year, apart from the medical side, policing in the evening, damage to property, the cost of rehab centres are astronomic....................

Therefore, even though it makes me somewhat a hypocrite, I have to agree with you.
:eek:

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Over-drinking has also been responsible for more than a few tragedies in history as well, some of them recorded, some of them not.
Over-drinking is never ok. But over-anything is too much. That's the "over"part.
More than 14 liter of water a day is deadly as well..

As we all know today, alcohol is a depressant. Its effects on the mind diminish your cognitive abilities and impair your ability to make rational judgements. More than anything else, this is what make you "happy". In heavy amounts, it can be lethal - not only to yourself but, depending on how you react to it, to everyone around you. In many cases, like with drink driving, you don't even have any control over the matter.
Again, you shouldn't blame drinking, but people who drink and drive.

Besides, historically and in the present time, it's caused too much suffering to be considered a wholly good thing.
That's because it caused more happy moments in total (just walk into a café on a choosen friday/saturday) than it caused suffering.

I view it as an insult to everyone who has died or currently suffers because of alcohol to go and drink it.
an insult is only an insult once it is meant as an insult. People don't drink to insult.

Oddly enough, how many times has alcohol aided rape in today's world?
And how many possible rapers were no longer able to rape that day because of alcohol? Besides, knives aid rapists, cars aid rapists, the dark aids rapists etc...

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
As the cigarette campaign has shown, education can only go so far....

When I watch others drinking alcohol or otherwise taking other drugs, it teaches me a lot about myself too. It teaches me how very lucky I am to be able to have a good time without running the risk of hurting myself or others... For that lesson I'm very grateful.

I guess we can only agree to disagree. I see where you're coming from, though. I can understand it too... it's just that I disagree. :eek:
No probblem with disagreeing with me :)

You say you are gratefull for the lessons, yet those are the lessons you want to take away ;)

Personally, I don't drink that much. I have a party so once in a while. I am very happy taht I can be happy with and without alcohol. And event hough you lose parts of control. I know I will never drink and drive. So some control is still active :rolleyes:

zenzero

Its only a Label
If you accept evolution and karma then these things have to be left to the individual as it is an individual jouney to enlightenment and untill it happens voluntarily and through understanding the karma will not be completed.
Education helps in being conscious but eventually the desire must go.
Love & rgds

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
DarkSun, are you saying Jesus would not be accepted as Christ because of man's love for wine?

I'm sorry, obviously we will agree to disagree, but I have to admit that this is one of the most extreme opinions I have seen on the subject. wine has been sanctified around the Sabbath table by Jews for thousands of years, never with the purpose of getting drunk.
wine is a part of human culture, its not alcohol that hurts people its excessive drinking that does. if you take alcohol from people who abuse it, who's to say that it wont be another thing that they will use with harmful results?

Obviously, Jesus was quite a sells man according to you, promoting his agenda by turning water into wine to buy his way into people's hearts ;)

Last edited:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Over-drinking is never ok. But over-anything is too much. That's the "over"part.
Perhaps you have a point; the trouble is that not everyone is fully in control of his/her behaviour.

Doesn't that come down to human nature?

That's because it caused more happy moments in total (just walk into a café on a choosen friday/saturday) than it caused suffering.
You should see our town centre on a Friday/Saturday night; even our 24 year old son won't go there for fear of the sprawling young people whose moral behaviour seems to disappear after a binge.

And how many possible rapers were no longer able to rape that day because of alcohol? Besides, knives aid rapists, cars aid rapists, the dark aids rapists etc...

Shakespeare said "Drink provoketh the desire, while it taketh away the performance" - but, to be honest, if you have to rely on alcohol to reduce the number of rapes, well, it doesn't say much for our society.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Doesn't that come down to human nature?
I don't know. Have you ever had a moment where you was drunk and wanted to drive and did? Because i know I haven't..
But you are right. That's exactly why alcohol isn't illigal, but drinking and driving is. You don't want to be pulled over drunk, they'll grap you..

You should see our town centre on a Friday/Saturday night; even our 24 year old son won't go there for fear of the sprawling young people whose moral behaviour seems to disappear after a binge.
Funny, in my town ther are no problems at all. We always have cops running the streets controlling bad people. A way of control without taking away pleasures..

Shakespeare said "Drink provoketh the desire, while it taketh away the performance" - but, to be honest, if you have to rely on alcohol to reduce the number of rapes, well, it doesn't say much for our society.
Ehr, did you post this to agree with me or don't I understand it? :p

DarkSun

DarkSun, are you saying Jesus would not be accepted as Christ because of man's love for wine?

Good question... Would you think that you'd be accepted if you went against something this culturally acceptable, yet culturally damaging?

Besides, as I said in another part of my post, wine was a lot cleaner than water back then. To change water into wine would have been a good thing for the health of the people. You try drinking water from a lake. :eek:

I'm sorry, obviously we will agree to disagree,

That we will. :D

but I have to admit that this is one of the most extreme opinions I have seen on the subject.

It may only be extreme because you disagree... To me it seems perfectly rational. :eek:

wine has been sanctified around the Sabbath table by Jews for thousands of years, never with the purpose of getting drunk.

If drinking alcohol isn't done for the purpose of getting drunk, nor for the sake of a good time, then I have no problem. I view it as a completely different matter entirely when it is drunk in small amounts as a part of one's religion. Then it becomes something sacred, and not an intstrument used to inflict harm upon yourself or others for the sake of having fun.

Using alcohol doesn't seem quite as barbaric to me when its used for the Sabbath or for communion, when the alterior option: "Drinking for pleasure"; involves drinking a bucketful of wine and throwing up in the gutter... Nor does it seem as bad as drinking three glasses of wine or so and fooling your mind into having a good time. Again... I think (and this is only my opinion) that when alcohol is used for the sake of fun, it becomes insulting to everyone else with that mindset who has died or suffered. That is just my humble opinion.

Personally, the only times I've ever touched alcohol were during communion. Enough said.

wine is a part of human culture

I've acknowledged this... All I'm saying is that I don't think that it's a good part of human culture, or human nature.

its not alcohol that hurts people its excessive drinking that does.

I agree with you completely. But I don't think that everyone can show as much restraint as you or I, and people suffer because of over-drinking. My point is that drinking any amount of alcohol (for recreational purposes) is an insult to those who have suffered because of it.

Besides... trading pain for pleasure is a bit barbaric, no matter how you look at it.

When alcohol is absorped into the blood stream it causes irritation and swelling to the lining of your stomach and the gastro-intestinal tract. Once in the blood stream, most of it travels to your kidneys to get eliminated in excretion, but then the rest travels to your brain where it causes all sorts of damage. Your cerebellum is the primary thing that's affected with low BACs (Blood Alcohol Concentrations), and this impairs your conscious cognitive function, as well as your fine and gross motor skills. But as you drink more, you begin to impair the function of every other portion of your brain - until eventually, you lose control of your medulla (Brain Stem). Depending on the BAC, the affects of this vary from unconsciousness and/or death.

And as for the majority of the alcohol eliminated by the kidneys? Well, it irritates and corrodes them just as effectively as it does every other portion of the gastro-intestinal tract until you come across some serious, life-threatening problems.

Next to tobacco, alcohol is a drug with the second highest mortality rate world-wide. This is no small problem that you can shun off by saying "Lol, everyone does it, it's a cultural thing. Lololololol".

But everyone's entitled to their own choice... It's just that if James jumps of a bridge, I'm not going to be jolly enough the jump after him. I'm going to be fairly sad that he jumped, actually... but I'll acknowledge that he was just after a good time and the thrill of falling. :eek:

if you take alcohol from people who abuse it, who's to say that it wont be another thing that they will use with harmful results?

This is one of the reasons why prohibition wouldn't work (which I have acknowledged in the OP). Evidently, it is human nature to destroy ourselves... quite sad, really. But still, I know what you mean.

Obviously, Jesus was quite a sells man according to you, promoting his agenda by turning water into wine to buy his way into people's hearts ;)

I think calling Christ a salesperson would've been a harsh way of putting it... I don't even know whether God is/was against alcohol or not. I just know that the only agenda Christ had in mind was our salvation, and if He was against alcohol in the present sense or the modern sense, then voicing that opinion would have been incredibly antagonistic. No one would have agreed with Him, just as you disagree with me. He most likely would have been crucified faster and He would have had less followers, although that's only conjecture.

In case you missed it, my aversion to alcohol has nothing to do with my faith in Christ. Maybe God doesn't mind either way. If you can find me a piece of scripture which expressly forbids my view, then I will acknowledge that I am wrong. As it is, I'm entitled to my own opinion.

Last edited:

DarkSun

If you accept evolution and karma then these things have to be left to the individual as it is an individual jouney to enlightenment and untill it happens voluntarily and through understanding the karma will not be completed.
Education helps in being conscious but eventually the desire must go.
Love & rgds

Agreed! The only way out is through individual choice. Frubals on your head! :D

DarkSun

Well, when water has the same mortality rate as alcohol, I think we'll be able to agree on that point a bit better. Until then... We'll just agree to disagree. ;)

Oh no, drink driving isn't the only thing which causes problems, although it is the major cause of alcohol-related-accidents.

There's domestic assault, rape, liver cirrhosis, psychiatric disorders (with large amounts of alcohol), Alcohol-related-neurodevelopmental disorders (ARNDs) in unborn children, a whole heap of psychological and physiological problems, the emotional and economic costs of rehabilition... I could carry the list on indefinitely if I wanted to, but I'm afraid that I might exceed the word limit on this post.

And at the centre of all of these problems, is alcohol. Of course, human nature is equally to blame for drinking and abusing the alcohol to begin with... but I believe that at some point, people are going to have to learn control over their impulses. That's just my view.

Errm... but are those happy moments in fact, real, or a product of your sedated and impaired mind...? I'd personally prefer reality over illusion.

And besides... I severely doubt that the hazardous effects of alcohol and the negative influence it has on our society can be justified by saying: "Oh, lol, they were just having a good time, so it's okay." :eek:

an insult is only an insult once it is meant as an insult. People don't drink to insult.

In my eyes, it's still insulting whether they intend it to be or not. I could prank call the Queen of England and call her a pompous old tart with obesity issues. Even if I didn't intend that to be an insult, it would still be insulting to her. It's the same with alcohol...

Although that being said, since drinkers aren't being deliberately malicious, I don't hold anything against them... just against what they are doing, and against the alcohol itself.

Hmmm... my point still stands. You've just listed one possible benefit of alcohol, and offered a few other problems in human society. As I've mentioned before, there are countless negative socio-economic problems in our world, and many of them can be linked to alcohol.

Last edited:

DarkSun

In theory, I agree with you wholeheartedly. The number of alcohol -=related crimes in the U.K (and the queues at the Emergency Hospital department on Friday and Saturday nights) speak for themselves.

Additionally, I heard only yesterday a consultant saying that whilst in the past, it was common place to find 50 -60 year olds with liver problems, he is seeing numerous teens, and twenty year olds. Liver problems - if I understand correcvtly - hardly show any symptoms until it is too late to do anything.

Personally, I have never taken recreational drugs - even though my older son refuses to believe me as I was a teenager in the '60's; in truth I was too scared to try anything. I an grateful for that.

Unfortunately, I do have a problem with alcohol; most of the time I avoid it (I am on a lot of medication that specifically warns against mixing with alcohol), but when I am particularly depressed, or stressed/anxious (which is unfortunately often), I binge drink.

Having said that, I have regular blood tests (because of all the medication I am on), and the results of a recent liver function test revealed that my "count" is equal to that of an abstainer. I am not sure who was more surprised (the doctor, or I).

Certainly, alcohol costs a massive sum to the entire country each year, apart from the medical side, policing in the evening, damage to property, the cost of rehab centres are astronomic....................

Therefore, even though it makes me somewhat a hypocrite, I have to agree with you.
:eek:

Haha! Thanks. That's two people who I agree with in less than a day. I was beginning to think that only 1% or so of the planet had the same view as me. Well this is interesting! :D

Too true... If we have to drug people into behaving themselves, then this is a very sad world that we live in.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think prohibition is just dumb. Not only are there health benefits to drinking in moderation (such as a glass of wine or beer a day), just because some people are idiots does mean that I should not be able to enjoy a drink once in awhile.
That, and some alcoholic drinks are good to enjoy once in awhile, and some liquors, when mixed with non alcoholic drinks, are very enjoyable, and you can't even taste the alcohol.
Just yesterday, I had a drink that was a Brandy slushy. It was tea, lemonade, orange juice, and brandy frozen in a slush, and then 7-Up was added. It was a rather tasty compliment drink to a Thanksgiving diner.

Alceste

Vagabond
I think prohibition is just dumb. Not only are there health benefits to drinking in moderation (such as a glass of wine or beer a day), just because some people are idiots does mean that I should not be able to enjoy a drink once in awhile.
That, and some alcoholic drinks are good to enjoy once in awhile, and some liquors, when mixed with non alcoholic drinks, are very enjoyable, and you can't even taste the alcohol.
Just yesterday, I had a drink that was a Brandy slushy. It was tea, lemonade, orange juice, and brandy frozen in a slush, and then 7-Up was added. It was a rather tasty compliment drink to a Thanksgiving diner.

That sounds yummy. Mmmmm. I think I'll try it when things warm up.

I totally agree that prohibition is a ridiculous idea. (Look how well it works with marijuana :rolleyes:!) A couple glasses of wine in the evening is lovely, and research has shown it improves your cardiac health. Guinness has so much iron in it that some Irish doctors actually prescribe it to pregnant women. (Half a pint a day, I think).

DarkSun

Are you saying you've changed your mind, and drinking should not be prohibited?

If you read my OP you'd find that I never said that drinking should be prohibitted. I mean, it'd be good if it was, but no one could ever be able to cope if it were and we'd have all sorts of problems. As the prohibition in the uS showed, the crime rate would rise, domestic violence would increase and all sorts of terrible things would happen, merely because people have this certain incomprehensible desire to hurt themselves for a good time.

Anyway, here's what I said in the OP, to spare people from any more confusion:

DarkSun said:

Hope that clears things up. :)

Last edited: