• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problem with monism.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Haha, I was just remembering that one of my first threads had almost the same title, except this time my problem with monism was completely different :D

Funny how things come around in cycles.
Like when I read an old book and see 'new' ideas!!!
Left thinking 'How in the heck did I miss this?' or 'I would have understood so much more if I'd investigated a little further on this idea/philosophy!!!'

But then again.... I can basically here the same Dharma-talk over and over and get something new each time.

So yea... I like these moments as much I'm surprised by them.

atanu

Premium Member
True. Even in dreaming, there is a good example. When dreaming, everything we experience is projected by our mind, including the other people we interact with, so the lines of self and other are clearly seen to be a simple faulty perception and they are in fact, our mind.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/vedanta-dir/109924-mandukya-upanishad-text.html

I will like to point out that scriptures call it advaita -- which is not equal to monotheism. The term advaita itself means 'without a second'.

Last edited:

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond

atanu

Premium Member
True, and I think thats the best approach to it in the various Hindu schools. Mainly the monistic schools are Saivite, especially the Aghoris, in which all is Shiva.

Also, I dont know if you meant to say "monotheism" or "monism."

I meant monotheism.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
That's only possible if, until, and because God and not-God are one.
Does the "is" and "is not" dichotomy really constitute two separate entities? Isn't there only one entity exhibiting the range of its "isness"? Let's take as example "sound". Is "silence" a separate entity or is it the same entity exhibiting the extremes of its range of existence? That is, is the "many" but the "one" exhibiting its possibilities - kinetic energy and potential energy?