• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Probably leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Hi all,

When I joined over 10 years ago this place had a big community vibe, something really enjoyable compared to the growing sites like Reddit or remaining forums who were rife with hostility, trolling, and toxicity. Today I honestly think even reddit is better. I sadly see nothing to be gained here any more, in some case I'm one of the few that even seems to have changed at all in a decade. I'm sick of the free reign atheists get to troll, harass, and abuse theists on forums like this, and engaging in the toxicity makes me become toxic at well. It's a shame because at first it really felt like coming home when I came back, I guess you don't always realize how abusive home was until you return. If you're wondering why it's so dead around here, this is why.

Probably keep lurking in the LHP DIR but otherwise I need to try and respect myself, and that is not having all effort one puts in just be **** on by trolls who won't even actually engage and assume all those who disagree are primitive minded fools. I hope one day I can return to find a forum where religion can again be discussed in a moderated, non abusive manner. I miss the forum of pluralism and positivity I once enjoyed, but those days of the internet are gone.

Feel free to hit me up at [email protected]

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Everybody feels that way time to time.

Truth be told there are plenty of forums out there that a person can say this is where I belong. ;0)

Personally I like the crucible for no other reason is you get tempered and stronger as time goes along, but I understand people who seek an oasis for refuge rather than a warzone.

Best of luck.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Today I honestly think even reddit is better.

I tried Reddit before. The Hindu forum that I joined was a disappointment. Many individuals there told Western newbies to Hinduism to read the Mukhya Upanishads and seek a guru for initiation, which was putting the cart before the horse. Also, many users advocated ideas that were more harmful than good. Lastly, I was repelled by the bad art that people frequently posted and the weekly questions about monkey spankage. After leaving that forum and all of Reddit, I haven’t looked back. It didn’t take long for me to leave it.

I'm sick of the free reign atheists get to troll, harass, and abuse theists on forums like this, and engaging in the toxicity makes me become toxic at well.

In my case, I avoid debating anybody on RF. For that reason, I don’t engage in toxicity. I generally keep to interfaith discussion, my DIR forum, and general discussion.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I'm sick of the free reign atheists get to troll, harass, and abuse theists on forums like this,
I, for one, would have appreciated it if you had provided some evidence of that trolling, harassment and abuse. If, by those words, you mean "not agreeing with what you say," then perhaps I should suggest you not join any other forum, or even talk to other people life -- as this is likely to happen from time to time.

I can guarantee you, if all responses to you are "yes, you're right," you will very soon get very sick of it. There is nothing at all to learn there, nothing to grow on, nothing to test your own values against, nothing of interest whatever.

So, as a start, do you see this post as "trolling", "harassment" or "abuse?" Or perhaps all three, I'd be interested to know.

Premium Member
I, for one, would have appreciated it if you had provided some evidence of that trolling, harassment and abuse. If, by those words, you mean "not agreeing with what you say," then perhaps I should suggest you not join any other forum, or even talk to other people life -- as this is likely to happen from time to time.

I can guarantee you, if all responses to you are "yes, you're right," you will very soon get very sick of it. There is nothing at all to learn there, nothing to grow on, nothing to test your own values against, nothing of interest whatever.

So, as a start, do you see this post as "trolling", "harassment" or "abuse?" Or perhaps all three, I'd be interested to know.
Sure, here is an atheist coming in presuming a theist cannot handle any form of disagreement when they are tired of toxicity.

Probably leaving

Thank you for confirming and finalizing my decision. **** this place

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I personally enjoy the fire of disagreement. I love to try to see as many different sides of life as I can.

I can join the choir and move smoothly along without any confrontation or conflict but that just wouldn't be reality to me. As long as people are humane, with a sense of civility, and care for life and don't denigrate or demean others.

I love how I don't fit neatly into other people's categories, sides and boxes of realities. Heck there's even disagreement on the same sides.

Besides there is a big difference between criticizing views and people's truths, and attacking people's character, or existence.

The polarities in society are just brutal, and apart of the times we live in. I don't think any forum is immune from that.

Premium Member
I personally enjoy the fire of disagreement. I love to try to see as many different sides of life as I can.

I can join the choir and move smoothly along without any confrontation or conflict but that just wouldn't be reality to me. As long as people are humane, with a sense of civility, and care for life and don't denigrate or demean others.

I love how I don't fit neatly into other people's categories, sides and boxes of realities. Heck there's even disagreement on the same sides.

Besides there is a big difference between criticizing views and people's truths, and attacking people's character, or existence.

The polarities in society are just brutal, and apart of the times we live in. I don't think any forum is immune from that.
Such a forum sounds like a wonderful place, but this is no longer one. Disagreement is one thing, epistemological unfriendliness, gaslighting, blatant trolling, etc are not disagreement. My group of friends is a prime example, we agree on very little and debate often. But none of us would use terms like "woo" about another's beliefs, none of our atheists would tall about "imaginary friends" as the gods, we wouldny outright ignore what the other says and then gaslight them by saying they never said it. Just look at the above response, the implicit assumption that one not wanting to be trolled implies they need agreement, and the user cannot even fathom what's wrong with that.

I only remain to hear from the staff if my content can be deleted, but I can't participate in or support a forum teeming with and even encouraging bullying et al.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Sure, here is an atheist coming in presuming a theist cannot handle any form of disagreement when they are tired of toxicity.

Probably leaving

Thank you for confirming and finalizing my decision. **** this place
I did not "presume," anything. I asked you to give us an example or two of what you call "toxicity." I'm unsure why you seem unwilling to do that. Surely you know that nobody is going to respond well to generalized, very unspecific criticism. I'm sure you wouldn't yourself.

Premium Member
I did not "presume," anything. I asked you to give us an example or two of what you call "toxicity." I'm unsure why you seem unwilling to do that. Surely you know that nobody is going to respond well to generalized, very unspecific criticism. I'm sure you wouldn't yourself.
I gave an example, and I won't be harassed by you further. Best wishes.

rocala

Hi @1137 Firstly, I am sorry that you are unhappy here. I joined in 2014, so maybe I missed it but I do not recall any community atmosphere. I do recall starting posts and then discarding them because we had so many members who for some strange reason imagined themselves to be funny. Good members left because of that. Maybe I am fussy, but when I am in the mood for humour, I don't go somewhere with the word religion in its name.
Then as now, there were nice people and there were and still are some I despise. That's life.

As to the atheist trolls, I can only echo Evangelicalhumanist. Where are they? There was another man not long ago always claiming the same thing. He was asked for evidence but never complied. What I do see is atheists having to put up with some very silly comments aimed directly at them.

We have some pretty smart people among the atheists here and reading their posts gives us some great science and examples of logical thought.
The membership has changed but I doubt that is because of atheists. Over the years I have been a member of many forums - Merry Meet Wicca, Pagan U.K. and Celtic Connection. All closed down. Nothing to do with atheists.

Premium Member
Hi @1137 Firstly, I am sorry that you are unhappy here. I joined in 2014, so maybe I missed it but I do not recall any community atmosphere. I do recall starting posts and then discarding them because we had so many members who for some strange reason imagined themselves to be funny. Good members left because of that. Maybe I am fussy, but when I am in the mood for humour, I don't go somewhere with the word religion in its name.
Then as now, there were nice people and there were and still are some I despise. That's life.

As to the atheist trolls, I can only echo Evangelicalhumanist. Where are they? There was another man not long ago always claiming the same thing. He was asked for evidence but never complied. What I do see is atheists having to put up with some very silly comments aimed directly at them.

We have some pretty smart people among the atheists here and reading their posts gives us some great science and examples of logical thought.
The membership has changed but I doubt that is because of atheists. Over the years I have been a member of many forums - Merry Meet Wicca, Pagan U.K. and Celtic Connection. All closed down. Nothing to do with atheists.
If people keep raising the issue maybe it should be addressed, but I'm not holding my breath. If you want a wealth of examples see the recent thread on the topic, I'm done with it.

Premium Member
I will settle for one to begin with.

Does anybody know which thread is being referred too?
See one was already shared above, this is the type of behavior that's turned me off completely. I could legit metaphysically prove something and some people would be like "lul wut evidence hehe."

Here. I'm sure you will see no negative atheist behavior at all.

Orbit

I'm a planet
See one was already shared above, this is the type of behavior that's turned me off completely. I could legit metaphysically prove something and some people would be like "lul wut evidence hehe."

Here. I'm sure you will see no negative atheist behavior at all.

The only thread I can find that has to do with atheists right now is kind of the opposite phenomenon:

Premium Member
The only thread I can find that has to do with atheists right now is kind of the opposite phenomenon:

Ah yes you were the first responder accusing the OP of "hating atheists" and having a "persecution complex." Fantastic irony that you are now here. At least I'm capable of realizing my own toxicity and seeking to rectify it. Good luck in your endeavors Orbit.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Ah yes you were the first responder accusing the OP of "hating atheists" and having a "persecution complex." Fantastic ironony that you are now here. At least I'm capable of realizing my own toxicity and seeking to rectify it ‍♂️
Don't you think you're being a bit unfair here? I get it, maybe you're having a bad day. But read the OP. It is very insulting to atheists.

Premium Member
Don't you think you're being a bit unfair here? I get it, maybe you're having a bad day. But read the OP. It is very insulting to atheists.
I've never once denied theists can be hostile etc, not one time. This forum has a terrible trait of thinking everything is one sided when there's problems on both sides, whether talking religion or politics. It's pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.