• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Probability of God's Existence.

Evie

You seem to be struggling with answer this question directly. Are you saying god came from no thing?
I am saying that because nothingness cannot give birth to something, then 'something' had to have existed in order for any one thing to be in existence. And that initial 'something g' called Himself I A M. I AM. I exist. And because I M capable of existence , because my nature. Is one of existence. I can give birth to ,existence, in a variety of forms.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I am saying that because nothingness cannot give birth to something, then 'something' had to have existed in order for any one thing to be in existence. And that initial 'something g' called Himself I A M. I AM. I exist. And because I M capable of existence , because my nature. Is one of existence. I can give birth to ,existence, in a variety of forms.
Still not quite so sure. Are you or are you not saying that God came from no thing?

godnotgod

Thou art That
You're ignoring one very important consideration: that God neither exists, nor not-exists. This non-position is one of non-duality. Take note of what happens in your mind when you adopt this positionless position.

Curious George

Veteran Member
You're ignoring one very important consideration: that God neither exists, nor not-exists. This non-position is one of non-duality. Take note of what happens in your mind when you adopt this positionless position.
That's just Maya playing her tricks on you again.

godnotgod

Thou art That

The nature of God is such that It does not dwell in existence, which is in Time and Space, and subject to coming and going. The true nature of God is in Being, not existence. Being is not in Time or Space; history or memory; birth or death:

"Before Abraham was, I Am"
Yeshua

Nothingness can indeed 'give birth' to Everything, if what we call 'Everything' is just an illusion, since there is nothing 'real' to account for in terms of the original 'material' out of which Everything emerged. To refer to God as 'something' immediately limits and encapsulates God, which cannot be done. God is, in reality, no-thing, and it is out of this no-thing-ness (ie Pure Being), that 'Everything' comes. Actually, that is not quite correct. It is this Nothingness that is manifesting Itself as Everything, playing all the myriad parts simultaneously.

The question is how can we tell that Everything is an illusion, and why is God playing Itself as such.

Last edited:

Evie

Still not quite so sure. Are you or are you not saying that God came from no thing?
I am saying that God IS before ALL ELSE. The fact the greatest thinkers throughout history have been unable to give ABSOLUTE answers to basic questions of life. How did we come to be. Why are we here? Is there form of life after physical death? NO absolute answers. Just birds, religious and otherwise, theories . Conjecture. Speculation. All of which proves the human mind is severely limited. And there must be a very good reason for this being so. Otherwise we would have the ABSOLUTE answers. Why are we
all kept in this unknowing state? All the great minds which gave sought absolute answers have failed to do so.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Maya has no such grip on the mind when one adopts a non-position, that is to say, when the mind is free. In fact, it is only the free mind which can detect the presence of maya.

What is truly maya is God hiding from himself, and asking 'Does God exist or not?':D

Curious George

Veteran Member
I am saying that God IS before ALL ELSE. The fact the greatest thinkers throughout history have been unable to give ABSOLUTE answers to basic questions of life. How did we come to be. Why are we here? Is there form of life after physical death? NO absolute answers. Just birds, religious and otherwise, theories . Conjecture. Speculation. All of which proves the human mind is severely limited. And there must be a very good reason for this being so. Otherwise we would have the ABSOLUTE answers. Why are we
all kept in this unknowing state? All the great minds which gave sought absolute answers have failed to do so.
Okay still not quite answering. We will do this in multiple choice form.

From what thing came god?
A) no thing
B) some thing

Curious George

Veteran Member
Maya has no such grip on the mind when one adopts a non-position, that is to say, when the mind is free. In fact, it is only the free mind which can detect the presence of maya.
Again that trickster has you chasing your tail. Even though you think she is not present. That is the most devilish trick she can play.

Vaderecta

This is a very poor idea to hold. It is usually time after time proven wrong. If we just consider your argument though... the greatest thinkers have been unable to give an absolute answer but here you are offering an absolute answer. Maybe you are the greatest thinker or maybe you prove the latter half of your argument that the human mind is severely limited. Either way you fail to prove god therefore must exist. All great minds have failed to prove an absolute point of view but they didn't know you might come along with the absolute answer.

We end where we began. It's a poor argument.

Evie

Then that cannot be God, because God is neither before or after, since God is not limited by Time or Space.
Existing things including life itself cannot be brought forth from a nonexisti g entity whatever that entity is. Existence begets existence.

David T

Premium Member
That is a messy post.

"'You asked specifically does God exist"

I did no such thing. Try reading it again. The post is not about if God actually exist, it is about the misuse of probability to determine if God exist.
Oh my goodness you are correct I am a dork. Sorry bout that I totally read it way to quickly. I should have known better coming from you to not slow down a bit. I was just mocking Bayesian theory as to God's non existence with someone else so I just saw Bayesian and went blinders. Btw bayes developed it originally to prove God's existence .

Evie

Okay still not quite answering. We will do this in multiple choice form.

From what thing came god?
A) no thing
B) some thing
A of course. He is. Permeates throughoutall else. An eternal being which our limited mind cannot comprehend. We have out beliefs, religious and otherwise. But nothing that is ABSOLUTE. Don't you find that in itself something to question? Why the secrecy as to our origins? Beliefs are not proof. But one absolute fact that is undeniable is: we do exist. We do have life. And it l had to have had a 'form of parent' which brought all into existence. It did not just spring out if nowhere. This fact is Undeniable. No proof but the fact all of life does exist proves it came from somewhere. The far bigger question is: why is there no absolute proof of our origins? Just a whole lot of beliefs theories etc.

Evie

T
This is a very poor idea to hold. It is usually time after time proven wrong. If we just consider your argument though... the greatest thinkers have been unable to give an absolute answer but here you are offering an absolute answer. Maybe you are the greatest thinker or maybe you prove the latter half of your argument that the human mind is severely limited. Either way you fail to prove god therefore must exist. All great minds have failed to prove an absolute point of view but they didn't know you might come along with the absolute answer.

We end where we began. It's a poor argument.
thank you. I am flattered. The answer to the whole debate of the existence of God will continue until the time is right for humans to be given a glimmer of the truth. How do you explain a profound truth a human mind conceived of more than 1500 years before it was a proven fact. 'It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth'. Isaiah 40:22. How could a primitive mind conceive of that truth in 760 BC. The world was still considered flat. Unproven as round until Magellan's voyage in the 1500's. and so when the time is right truths. About God and our true origins will begin to surface.

Evie

I'm glad I could convince you that it is possible that something came from no thing, (or as we call it in modern times: nothing)
Such a profound truth as 'it is he that sitters upon the circle of the earth' Isaiah 40/22 760BC did not come from nothingness. Such a truth had to have come from an entity which not only knew that truth but could project it into that primitive mind.

Evie

Such a profound truth as 'it is he that sitters upon the circle of the earth' Isaiah 40/22 760BC did not come from nothingness. Such a truth had to have come from an entity which not only knew that truth but could project it into that primitive mind.
An all knowing entity has to be acknowledged *** being the author AND giver of a truth so profound. Whatever name one chooses to give that 'entity'. Nothingness is incapable of knowing anything.

Evie

Correction to scripture. 'It is He that sitteth upon the circle of the earth'. Isaiah 40:22 760BC