• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Probability of God's Existence.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
I agree, probability doesn't apply to things that already exist, or don't exist. But we don't know if God exists, there is no evidence that God does exist or doesn't exist. It isn't taking your statement out of context to say you assume that God "already exist"--you state it outright.

We know, due to the evidence which can be examined, that I exist. But there is no evidence, either way, that God exists.

"It isn't taking your statement out of context to say you assume that God "already exist"--you state it outright."

:rolleyes:

Look here:

So if we say that God has a 50% chance of existing then that make no sense at all. If God exist then God does not have a 50% chance to exist, as God already exist. If God does not exist then God does not have a 50% chance to exist, as God does not exist. So the argument makes no sense at all

It is a hypothetical. . . . . .

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
It is a hypothetical. . . . . .

As you've stated it, yes! But the facts are that there's no way for us to know if the hypothetical is the actual circumstance or not. In fact *** wait for it *** the chances of your hypothetical being correct (based on the our total lack of knowledge vis-à-vis God), is 50-50.

:lightbulb: :) :lightbulb:

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
As you've stated it, yes! But the facts are that there's no way for us to know if the hypothetical is the actual circumstance or not. In fact *** wait for it *** the chances of your hypothetical being correct (based on the our total lack of knowledge vis-à-vis God), is 50-50.

:lightbulb: :) :lightbulb:

"But the facts are that there's no way for us to know if the hypothetical is the actual circumstance or not"

It is not meat to be take as actual, as it is a hypothetical. If you don't know the word look it up.

"the chances of your hypothetical being correct (based on the our total lack of knowledge vis-à-vis God), is 50-50."

No, it is not; not in any sense. The hypothetical says, " If God exist then God does not have a 50% chance to exist, as God already exist. If God does not exist then God does not have a 50% chance to exist, as God does not exist. So the argument makes no sense at all"

Also simply because you decide on two possible outcomes that does not mean it is automatically a 50-50.

If I said in the next 5 mins either a cat will walk through the doorway of my bedroom or a cat will not, that does not mean there 50% chance for a cat to walk in. It is going to much closer to 0% since I don't have a cat. Your 50% is arbitrary, you made it up with no evidence at all and you decided on personal opinion that was the probability. Empirical evidence is how we approximate probabilities, the universe does not just split into two equally possibles probabilities simply because you said it was a 50-50.

Your 50-50 is an arbitrary number you came up with, because clearly you have no clue how probability works.