• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Private

King Phenomenon

Maybe I don’t understand how you’re using the term “spirituality.”
How do you mean it?

To me, a big part of spirituality is how well we imitate God (which for me, as a JW, is Jehovah.) So spirituality involves our actions and behavior, which should be able to be observed. Galatians 5:22-23.

How we treat others. Philippians 2:2-3.

But I miss the mark, a lot.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2011806#h=7:0-10:204

For a broader understanding (well, my understanding):

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200275494

I hope everyone stays safe!
Understanding mysteries

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I keep most aspects of my religion private. Partly because that's just the nature of my religion, and partly because the barriers to understanding are too high to ask anyone to cross them.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It's just personal so not really

It doesn't need to be personal to discuss it in general. Discussions don't need to be private in order to discuss why one agrees or disagrees with a statement or comment.

Anyway. I thought I comment. I know from other threads you don't really discuss anything so it's mostly for those who do.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I have always been open about my understanding of the spiritual teaching, but I am becoming more and more closed down, because I see how much turbulence my understanding causes. Example in this forum, I could say a lot more about my understanding but I don't because of all the ridicule that will happen.
And yes the spiritual understanding is personal, and should not concern others.

I think maybe it's best to discriminate who to talk to and who not to. I love expressing what I believe to but I know people who may devalue what I say so, since I'm not an evangalizer, I keep it to myself. Those who are interested (and me likewise), then yes. I'm open. But yeah. Pick or choose. Don't let other people's turbulence and critique ruin your sunshine.

King Phenomenon

It doesn't need to be personal to discuss it in general. Discussions don't need to be private in order to discuss why one agrees or disagrees with a statement or comment.

Anyway. I thought I comment. I know from other threads you don't really discuss anything so it's mostly for those who do.
I do comment enough to where somebody can understand what I mean, but some things are personal and general discussion wouldn't work.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I have always been open about my understanding of the spiritual teaching, but I am becoming more and more closed down, because I see how much turbulence my understanding causes.Example in this forum, I could say a lot more about my understanding but I don't because of all the ridicule that will happen.

To remark on this - expressing oneself and disagreeing is certainly permitted on the forums, but ridicule (which would be a form of trolling) is not. If you don't feel comfortable reporting those posts yourself for the staff team to review, you can just PM me if I'm on so I (or another staff member) can throw up a mod post reminding people to chill out if that's warranted.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I have read a quote somewhere.....
All that was ever done in secret will be made known

here in this life.....you are shielded
no one knows what goes on in your head
unless you bravely come forth
for the ridicule

in the next life....we go into it.......naked

God and heaven will see ALL that you are
the way you think
the way you feel
the way you dream

and judgement follows

and you fear what you fellow man might say of you?

WHAT THEN??????
as you stand before god and heaven

King Phenomenon

I have read a quote somewhere.....
All that was ever done in secret will be made known

here in this life.....you are shielded
no one knows what goes on in your head
unless you bravely come forth
for the ridicule

in the next life....we go into it.......naked

God and heaven will see ALL that you are
the way you think
the way you feel
the way you dream

and judgement follows

and you fear what you fellow man might say of you?

WHAT THEN??????
as you stand before god and heaven
My gods cool bro

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So spirituality involves our actions and behavior, which should be able to be observed. Galatians 5:22-23.
“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." Matthew 6:5-6

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." Matthew 6:5-6
Prayer should be private (unless praying on behalf of a group, as at services).

But behavior, whether good or bad, is noticed....
1 Peter 2:12 NASB: Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may because of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Hey, @Unveiled Artist , hope you are well, my cousin!
Given the nature of evangalization within JW, do you think that some of the things one learns from god or christ private? Is there a differentiation between what christ means by sharing his word and what to keep to oneself for whatever justifiable reason?

You pretty much answered the question with your opening statement, “Given the nature of evangalization within JW....”.
We are naturally eager to share everything we’ve learned, to draw people to Jehovah! Joel 2:32, Darby Bible Translation.....”And it shall be that whosoever shall call upon the name of Jehovah shall be saved: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as Jehovah hath said, and for the residue whom Jehovah shall call.”
— From Joel 2:32 And everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved; for on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will be deliverance, as the LORD has promised, among the remnant called by the LORD."

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes, really.

I live in a culture where the general populace lacks even basic education about theology and religion because the public school system won't touch it. As such, the prior knowledge often isn't there to talk about either of these subjects at a level that would be necessary. What prior knowledge people do have is heavily slanted towards classical monotheist theology and Abrahamic religions (especially Protestant Christianity). Assumptions about theology and religion steeped in these traditions often fail to apply to my religion and in many cases folks are unable to think outside of those assumptions.

So yes, the barriers to understanding are too high for me to ask folks to cross it. I'll still share some stories but folks have to be interested, and if they aren't, that's fine.

Haha... and this isn't even getting into how much of my path is experiential in nature and can't be conveyed with words anyway. :sweat:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Yes, really.

I live in a culture where the general populace lacks even basic education about theology and religion because the public school system won't touch it. As such, the prior knowledge often isn't there to talk about either of these subjects at a level that would be necessary. What prior knowledge people do have is heavily slanted towards classical monotheist theology and Abrahamic religions (especially Protestant Christianity). Assumptions about theology and religion steeped in these traditions often fail to apply to my religion and in many cases folks are unable to think outside of those assumptions.

So yes, the barriers to understanding are too high for me to ask folks to cross it. I'll still share some stories but folks have to be interested, and if they aren't, that's fine.

Haha... and this isn't even getting into how much of my path is experiential in nature and can't be conveyed with words anyway. :sweat:
I suppose we all have a topic of which we are self deemed expertise

but somethings are within reach of many

parables are a good thing

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
My spirituality is actually pretty personal and I've never shared it completely with another and I never will. Does anyone else feel the way I do?
I actually have no problem sharing when someone is interested.

Is there a reason why? (Maybe you answered this further down)