• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Private

King Phenomenon

My spirituality is actually pretty personal and I've never shared it completely with another and I never will. Does anyone else feel the way I do?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
My spirituality is actually pretty personal and I've never shared it completely with another and I never will. Does anyone else feel the way I do?
I have always been open about my understanding of the spiritual teaching, but I am becoming more and more closed down, because I see how much turbulence my understanding causes. Example in this forum, I could say a lot more about my understanding but I don't because of all the ridicule that will happen.
And yes the spiritual understanding is personal, and should not concern others.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm pretty private in life generally, so yes. Plus I consider "spirituality" to be fundamentally experiential and so non-verbal, anyway.

Jedster

I have always been open about my understanding of the spiritual teaching, but I am becoming more and more closed down, because I see how much turbulence my understanding causes. Example in this forum, I could say a lot more about my understanding but I don't because of all the ridicule that will happen.

Quite honestly, almost everyone here, whether believers or not, could make the same claims. Also I think that most people here have been quite generous and patient with you compared to the 'beatings' others get.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Quite honestly, almost everyone here, whether believers or not, could make the same claims. Also I think that most people here have been quite generous and patient with you compared to the 'beatings' others get.
I only speak for my own experience here, I can not speak for others.
But yes some of the none believers can lay off their critique, I will not back off on that claim

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I talk about it some to my spouse, and with my Guru, in private conversation, but that's about where it ends. In Hinduism (maybe elsewhere as well) there is a saying: "Sacred is secret, and secret is sacred." Most of it is about humility. It's a very common theme in eastern faiths.

I also will sometimes say something if it seems really useful to another person, or they pry. And sometimes I slip, only to regret it later.

One comment I like is that people will meditate for a month, and then stop meditating just so they can tell everyone all about it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

No. I see spirituality as ever flowing life in all people. The expression of that life would be external and not just internal. There's a quote I like from a native American chief when his white pupil and friend (author of the book) asked him for permission to quote his words in her book.

He says his words are not owned by him but by god. (So yes) you can use them.

I always wondered if it's an ego thing to keep ones own experiences to themselves. Strangers can't do anything but listen, talk, or challenge it. I feel if you believe something you have no reason to safeguard it. It can't leave. But it can show how spirituality isn't a private thing but a life thing.

... Oh. I can see it with other people one knows or a communal tradition to keep rituals and such private. Personal experiences, though, I don't see why anyone would safeguard it to strangers. Unless it's a promise to their community, in itself strangers can't do anything but talk, listen, or challenge.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I've maintained many times that spirituality is really a personal matter and not a collective one.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Is that consistent? - "always been open" and "spiritual understanding is personal, and should not concern others"

On a separate point:
Why not take into account the two "sides" of much of this site? "Discussion" forums should be a more amenable location for topics less concerned with logic, rationality, objectivity etc. ""Debate" forums seem set up to try and determine what is "right" and what is "wrong."

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

I do. Most people don't care at more than a casual layer. And some things to me are really private and to share would be to dilute their meaning to me.

I also will sometimes say something if it seems really useful to another person, or they pry. And sometimes I slip, only to regret it later.

Me too outside of slipping more than sometimes. Sigh.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Maybe I don’t understand how you’re using the term “spirituality.”
How do you mean it?

To me, a big part of spirituality is how well we imitate God (which for me, as a JW, is Jehovah.) So spirituality involves our actions and behavior, which should be able to be observed. Galatians 5:22-23.

How we treat others. Philippians 2:2-3.

But I miss the mark, a lot.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2011806#h=7:0-10:204

For a broader understanding (well, my understanding):

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200275494

I hope everyone stays safe!

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Is that consistent? - "always been open" and "spiritual understanding is personal, and should not concern others"

On a separate point:
Why not take into account the two "sides" of much of this site? "Discussion" forums should be a more amenable location for topics less concerned with logic, rationality, objectivity etc. ""Debate" forums seem set up to try and determine what is "right" and what is "wrong."
As you saw I wrote, I am closing down my openness. It means less sharing of my understanding. Less posts, less interest in RF

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Maybe I don’t understand how you’re using the term “spirituality.”
How do you mean it?

To me, a big part of spirituality is how well we imitate God (which for me, as a JW, is Jehovah.) So spirituality involves our actions and behavior, which should be able to be observed. Galatians 5:22-23.

How we treat others. Philippians 2:2-3.

But I miss the mark, a lot.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2011806#h=7:0-10:204

For a broader understanding (well, my understanding):

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200275494

I hope everyone stays safe!

Given the nature of evangalization within JW, do you think that some of the things one learns from god or christ private? Is there a differentiation between what christ means by sharing his word and what to keep to oneself for whatever justifiable reason?