• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump To NASA: I Want You Back On The Moon, Then Mars Next

Is this even feasible?
If you were to combine the technology use for high speed monorails (the towers that hold the rails, supply the electro-magnetic energy only while the projectile is on the respective section of rail. As long as there is a pause to recharge between launches, it most definitely is feasible.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If you were to combine the technology use for high speed monorails (the towers that hold the rails, supply the electro-magnetic energy only while the projectile is on the respective section of rail. As long as there is a pause to recharge between launches, it most definitely is feasible.
Instead of a railgun, there's something similar (posted earlier)...
NASA Engineers Propose Combining a Rail Gun and a Scramjet to Fire Spacecraft Into Orbit
It's a hybrid launch system which could be a practical solution some day.
Still, I find the space elevator the sexier dream.

Btw, the proposal in the link isn't really a railgun...it's a version of a maglev transportation
system, thereby avoiding the high G forces of achieving earthbound escape velocity.

Last edited:
Instead of a railgun, there's something similar (posted earlier)...
NASA Engineers Propose Combining a Rail Gun and a Scramjet to Fire Spacecraft Into Orbit
It's a hybrid launch system which could be a practical solution some day.
Still, I find the space elevator the sexier dream.

Btw, the proposal in the link isn't really a railgun...it's a version of a maglev transportation
system, thereby avoiding the high G forces of achieving earthbound escape velocity.
Maglev is very similar, and as an alternative for launching people it's an interesting idea. I love the space elevator because the idea and science are sound, but the problem of building it (the cables etc ) is still a major hurdle to cross.
My idea was strictly related to things and only launching to the same spot in orbit. It would undoubtedly be huge and a bit spendy to construct, but after that aside from maintenance etc, there would be virtually no cost.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Maglev is very similar, and as an alternative for launching people it's an interesting idea. I love the space elevator because the idea and science are sound, but the problem of building it (the cables etc ) is still a major hurdle to cross.
My idea was strictly related to things and only launching to the same spot in orbit. It would undoubtedly be huge and a bit spendy to construct, but after that aside from maintenance etc, there would be virtually no cost.
It would only be lower cost than heavy lift rockets.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
After construction, the solar powered batteries would have no cost aside from maintenance
Aside from the high initial capital cost, there'd be regular replacements & upgrades.
Certainly, there'd be some energy savings, but we shouldn't trumpet this as almost
free. It'd like to see some cost analysis.

Yes, "lower" cost. And only "Virtually" free. As in almost, at least in relation. But you are right, I never said absolutely free.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, "lower" cost. And only "Virtually" free. As in almost, at least in relation. But you are right, I never said absolutely free.
There's an inviolable engineering principal....
There is no free lunch.
But nonetheless, I favor exploring more cost effective & reliable launch methods.
There is much potential.