• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump To NASA: I Want You Back On The Moon, Then Mars Next

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
President Trump To NASA: I Want You Back On The Moon, Then Mars Next

President Donald Trump wants to send the country's astronauts back to the moon. Then once that's done, Trump wants them to aim for Mars next.

Trump vowed on Monday, Dec. 11, that the United States will remain a leader in space exploration.

"We are the leader and we're going to stay the leader, and we're going to increase it many fold," he said in signing Space Policy Directive 1, which sets NASA up for a moon mission with an eye on going to Mars afterward.
I am over joyed to see the president putting effort and focus on the American space program. For those keeping score at home, there are now three racers in the contest to Mars: SpaceX, Boeing, and NASA. Although, it is unclear if NASA will be developing vehicles or if they will contract out to SpaceX or Boeing, but it is exciting nonetheless!

Tagging fellow space nerd @Laika.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If someone is not willing to put money where his mouth is, all we have is a lot of hot, meaningless air.

Quetzal

Premium Member
If someone is not willing to put money where his mouth is, all we have is a lot of hot, meaningless air.
Come on, seriously? He signed directive for a lunar mission, how you folks not excited by this?! NASA can now begin to put numbers together, plans, training missions, contracts, etc. These are critical first steps. If more resources are needed and Trump denies the budget modifications, we can talk. But let's at least pretend to have something to be excited about!

Vee

Premium Member
Nothing against the space program, but wouldn't it be better to invest in saving the earth first?

Quetzal

Premium Member
Nothing against the space program, but wouldn't it be better to invest in saving the earth first?
A very common, but good, question. The answer is "Yes but..."

We need both. We need a strong space program and a conservative approach to the environmental resources. Great news, though, is we are well on our way regarding renewable energy (even if the administration doesn't want it). More great news, our space technology has grown exponentially over the last 5-7 years. Thankfully, we have government and private enterprises addressing both issues.

Quetzal

Premium Member
We are talking about a man that can make a claim and contradict it in the same sentence.
His word means nothing, and neither do his vows.

Though it would be exciting to see him go through with it.
To be fair, I am pretty sure this was a campaign platform from the beginning.

Quetzal

Premium Member
Note to self: move space threads away from political sections.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Well, it's only a space thread if there is, at some point, a space mission. Just about every sitting president says something perky about space missions, but very few are willing to commit themselves to supporting NASA in the execution of same.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Come on, seriously? He signed directive for a lunar mission, how you folks not excited by this?! NASA can now begin to put numbers together, plans, training missions, contracts, etc. These are critical first steps. If more resources are needed and Trump denies the budget modifications, we can talk. But let's at least pretend to have something to be excited about!
I can play "let's pretend" as long as I remember it's not real.

Quetzal

Premium Member
I can play "let's pretend" as long as I remember it's not real.
Perhaps we could have a more fulfilling discussion about possible time lines, new technologies, possible engineering problems or just general thoughts about space in general. Or you can continue to add to the chorus of "All the Trump does is awful and this doesn't matter". It's up to you.

Nous

Premium Member

We need both. We need a strong space program and a conservative approach to the environmental resources. Great news, though, is we are well on our way regarding renewable energy (even if the administration doesn't want it). More great news, our space technology has grown exponentially over the last 5-7 years. Thankfully, we have government and private enterprises addressing both issues.
Good answer. However, given the uncertainties at the moment (it seems to me the world is in some sort of political rearrangement--perhaps due to the great recession--and continuing economic uncertainty), the urgency of issues on earth where money needs to be spent, and the fact that there are private enterprises that are willing to explore the possibilities of space travel and Martian colonies, I don't have a problem with declining government funding in this area.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I'm excited to hear the news of a potential Moon and Mars mission.

The joy of Discovery and learning aside, which is important, it would need to be practical reasons that can benefit Earth in some capacity.

A joint government and private venture, might provide viable solutions to our energy problems.

Helium-3 mining on the lunar surface

Quetzal

Premium Member
A joint government and private venture, might provide viable solutions to our energy problems.
I have a strong suspicion this is where we are going to go. Budget cuts in this area are common and not likely to stop anytime soon. Meanwhile, we will need the private sector to help out.