• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Chickenhawk's Viet Nam Draft Deferments.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Now that PFL Trump has told the world of his bravery and willingness to run towards active shooters unarmed, surely the liberal media will stop harping on about his perfectly legitimate medical deferments. The man is so brave he should award himself some sort of medal for gallantry.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Well since it's a thread about Trump- there is about a 90% chance at least Clinton and Obama will pop up somewhere. Because what-aboutism has become the right wing form of argumentation.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well since it's a thread about Trump- there is about a 90% chance at least Clinton and Obama will pop up somewhere. Because what-aboutism has become the right wing form of argumentation.
If they hadn't before, they just did now.
Both Clintons!

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
And what about Hillary? SHE never ran unarmed into a school with an active shooter, did she? Huh? Not like PFL Trump!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Now that PFL Trump has told the world of his bravery and willingness to run towards active shooters unarmed, surely the liberal media will stop harping on about his perfectly legitimate medical deferments. The man is so brave he should award himself some sort of medal for gallantry.

Or maybe award himself a military parade.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Now, now...don't bite.
It's "trolling" to point out that Hillary never fought in a war?
She had gender instead of bone spurs to avoid the draft.
The cry of "chickenhawk" is too often used with hypocrisy.
If calling this out is trolling, then stay off'n me bridge less'n you pay!

I notice too often a sexist attitude that men are expected to risk
life & limb in war, but that women have no such obligation.
Moreover, men with low draft lottery numbers have this duty,
but not those with high numbers are excused with no problem.
Do you find this rational?
You are trying to weasel out of using the word "invoke".

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do you believe that Trump didn't have a legitimate medical condition? Do you believe that it should not have been the policy of the draft to defer for heel spurs? Do you feel that Trump should not have asked for deferral based on heel spurs?

Did you read the full article linked to in the OP? I don't think anyone could look at all the evidence and not at least very, very strongly suspect there was no bone spur.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Oh god, the image of those ridiculously decorated dictators come to mind.

Thankfully we have evidence from Trump himself that Trump isn’t all that helpful in an emergency:

“And you have this poor guy, eighty years old, laying on the floor unconscious, and all the rich people are turning away. ‘Oh my God! This is terrible! This is disgusting!’ And you know, they’re turning away. Nobody wants to help the guy. His wife is screaming—she’s sitting right next to him, and she’s screaming.”

“I said, ‘Oh my God, that’s disgusting,’ and I turned away. I couldn’t—you know, he was right in front of me, and I turned away. I didn’t want to touch him.”

“He’s bleeding all over the place, I felt terrible. You know, beautiful marble floor, didn’t look like it. It changed color. Became very red.”

“I was saying, "Get that blood cleaned up! It’s disgusting!" The next day, I forgot to call [the man] to say is he okay!”
source

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You are trying to weasel out of using the word "invoke".
She invoked female privilege to avoid military service without being criticized for it.
Happy now?
(The strangest little insignificant obsessions are so important to you.)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Well obviously there are those that think that bone spurs are nothing. Well, I hope you develop them along with the condition that usually causes them...plantar fasciitis. Then let's see what you think
I have both conditions and it is almost totally debilitating when it comes to being on your feet.
I have bone spurs in my 5th vertebrae and when they first announced themselves I lost 80% capacity in my left arm. Short of surgery, which I'm not inclined to do, there is no cure. Even as I write this, my arm is tingling. You do get used to it, but those who think this is nothing are blowing smoke out of their collective asses.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Conscription is evil enough that I can't fault anyone for avoiding it however they can.

Speak for yourself about what's moral and immoral. I don't see conscription as an absolute evil like you do. I see it as a relative evil. Conscription is sometimes the lesser evil. For instance, conscription in the UK, the Soviet Union, and the United States during WWII probably has a lot to do with why most of Europe isn't part of a greater German Reich today. Life is not always Sunday school simple and conscription is not always the greatest evil. At least that's my take on it.

Having said that, the conscription of men to fight the Viet Nam war was indeed evil in my opinion, but then that fact it was evil is not at all relevant to the point being made in the OP, is it?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have bone spurs in my 5th vertebrae and when they first announced themselves I lost 80% capacity in my left arm. Short of surgery, which I'm not inclined to do, there is no cure. Even as I write this, my arm is tingling. You do get used to it, but those who think this is nothing are blowing smoke out of their collective asses.
The difference is that there's evidence that Trump faked it....
- He can't find the letter or remember the doctor's name.
- The fed gov lost the records.

Hmmm....I can't remember the name of any doctors I saw
back in the day either. And one of'm even performed
surgery on me....twice! (Tiba spiral fracture.)

I wonder.....if Biden runs in 2020, will he too be "President
Chickenhawk" to the same people Trump is?
Childhood asthma....student deferments...what a tough cross
to bear. No wonder he didn't go off to kill commies.

Anyway, if I could avoid being sent off to a lousy war involuntarily
by just faking bone spurs, I'd become all spurry. The problem
here isn't anyone's hypocrisy....it's the thoughtless pursuit of war.
The former receives too much attention, & the latter too little.
But alas, this is a country which loves it some wars every now &
then, so we may each resist as best we can.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Funny how you can recall where the spurs were, but Trump can't even recall on which foot his were. Hmmm, Paul...maybe the smoke being blown here is the smoke Trump is blowing up your butt and the butt of all his loyalists.

Wirey

Fartist
I don't think Cadet Bone Spurs was opposed to the Viet Nam War on moral grounds so much as he was merely opposed to he himself risking his life to participate in it.

Back in the day, he didn't protest the war or anything so noble as that. There's no record at all of him doing that, and so far as I've heard, not even he claims to have so much as written even one letter-to-the-editor in protest.

[Source]

What a wus.

He probably didn't mind at all that other people were getting shot up, though. Nowadays, he's basically a chickenhawk, what with his posturing against North Korea and Iran. That most likely isn't much changed from his Viet Nam days.

Comments?

If he actually had bone spurs, he was invalid. The military won't accept anyone with a pre-existing condition that MIGHT MAKE THEM ELIGIBLE FOR A PENSION SHOULD THE CONDITION FLARE UP OR WORSEN DURING THEIR TIME IN SERVICE. Not sure why I yelled that. I know this because it happened to Mickey Mantle. He had osteoporosis in his knees. Their was a pretty big outcry during the Korean War that a guy who could outrun everyone in baseball wasn't eligible for the draft due to knee problems, but it was the truth.

And in truth, if I were rich and my kid's draft number came up, I'd move heaven and earth to let poor people go die on his behalf as well. His Dad was probably a bigger factor than Donald.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Funny how you can recall where the spurs were, but Trump can't even recall on which foot his were. Hmmm, Paul...maybe the smoke being blown here is the smoke Trump is blowing up your butt and the butt of all his loyalists.
My goodness, it is going to be such a long 7 more years... :eek::D

BSM1

What? Me worry?

I'm getting all tingly just reading this, lol. Seriously, I have plantar fasciitis that comes and goes. I never know when it's going to hit I have to hobble around until the pain stops.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'm getting all tingly just reading this, lol. Seriously, I have plantar fasciitis that comes and goes. I never know when it's going to hit I have to hobble around until the pain stops.
Don't you just love getting more mature? *sigh*

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Did you read the full article linked to in the OP? I don't think anyone could look at all the evidence and not at least very, very strongly suspect there was no bone spur.

Sooo...you think you could simply walk into any draft board office and say (in a very loud voice, of course), "I have bone spurs", and the draft board is going to say, "Okay, go home and have a nice life"? Evidently you weren't around during the Viet Nam fiasco.